BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #1
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Kia Debuts new EV6 SUV with Range-Topping 577HP GT Model

Kia EV6 redefines boundaries of electric mobility with inspiring design, exhilarating performance and innovative space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia US Media
(SEOUL) March 30, 2021 – The new Kia EV6 brings long-range, zero-emissions power, 800V ultra-fast charging and distinctive styling to the crossover SUV market. The EV6 is Kia's first car to be based on the company's dedicated new platform for battery electric vehicles (BEVs).

This pioneering crossover – the first dedicated BEV launched under the new Kia design philosophy 'Opposites United' – displays a future-oriented EV design characterized by high-tech details. It is powered exclusively by electric energy, with a choice of multiple long-range, zero-emissions powertrain configurations. The 800V charging capability means EV6 can go from 10 to 80 percent battery charge in just 18 minutes, while the GT version, engineered to inspire consumers with exciting driving performance, can accelerate from 0-to-100 km/h in 3.5 seconds with a top speed of 260 km/h.

The EV6 is the first dedicated BEV produced by Kia using the all-new Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), and forms the first part of Kia's transition to the new era of electrification under the new brand slogan, 'Movement that inspires'. It also begins the mid-to-long term strategy for BEVs, plug-in hybrid (PHEV) and hybrid electric (HEV) vehicles to make up 40 percent of Kia's total sales by 2030, with an annual sales target of 1.6 million units for these eco-friendly models. As part of this, Kia aims to grow its BEV sales to 880,000 units in 2030 and become a top global seller. Kia plans to strengthen its EV lineup with 11 new BEV models by 2026 – seven built on E-GMP architecture, and four derivative EVs based on existing models.

"EV6 is the embodiment of the new Kia. It is born to inspire every journey, through bold design, progressive engineering, innovative technologies, and exciting electric performance," Ho Sung Song, Kia's President & CEO said. "EV6 also represents the beginning of Kia's long-term commitment to sustainable mobility, accelerating the transition not only to clean transportation, but also products, materials and manufacturing."

The EV6 will be produced in South Korea. It will go on-sale in select global markets starting from the second half of 2021, with online reservations beginning from March 30 in some markets.

The EV6's world premiere video can be viewed on the Kia Global YouTube channel.

New Kia design direction
The EV6 was designed under the brand's new design philosophy 'Opposites United', which takes inspiration from the contrasts found in nature and humanity. At the center of the design philosophy is a new visual identity evoking positive forces and natural energy, with contrasting combinations of sharp stylistic elements and sculptural shapes.

Karim Habib, Senior Vice President and Head of Kia Global Design Center, elaborated: "EV6, as the first dedicated Kia EV, is a showcase of human-centred, progressive design and electrified power. We strongly believe EV6 is a compelling and relevant model for the new EV era. With EV6 we aimed to create a distinctive, impactful design by using a combination of sophisticated, high-tech features on pure and rich volumes while providing a dedicated EV aiming to define our future."

Designed to deliver something different in the crossover class, the GT version of the EV6 offers a distinctive, impactful exterior with high-tech features, as well as unprecedented levels of performance from a Kia electric vehicle.

At the front, Kia's 'tiger face' has been re-interpreted for the digital era. Forming part of this 'Digital Tiger Face', daytime running lights display a sleek, modern appearance and include a 'sequential' dynamic light pattern. Below this, a low air intake visually widens the front of the car, accentuating its high-tech image.

The side profile displays a crossover-inspired silhouette, which is modern, sleek and aerodynamic. A character line runs along the bottom of the doors, curving upwards towards the rear wheel arches to visually elongate the profile of the car. Designed in part to realize ultimate aerodynamic performance, the rear displays a sloping C-pillar with an integrated black glossy insert which appears to extend the window glass. Above this sits a prominent wing-type roof spoiler that channels air downwards towards a raised lower spoiler, which sits atop the car's unique rear light cluster.

Inspiring space
A distinct product of the EV era, the interior design benefits greatly from the application of Kia's dedicated E-GMP platform. Despite the EV6's compact exterior dimensions, its 2,900mm wheelbase results in a cabin space similar to many mid-size SUVs.

Jochen Paesen, Vice President for Interior Design, commented: "People are first attracted by the exterior of cars, but they eventually fall in love with the interior – where they spend most of their time. So, designing an inspiring space for the EV6 was the most important thing for us. We believe EV6 can inspire customers by boosting their creativity."

One of the most striking elements is a seamless high-tech curved infotainment screen. The simple form language of the wide screen and dashboard give the interior an open feel.

Relaxation seats are slim, lightweight and contemporary, and clad in modern, visually interesting and robust fabrics created using recycled plastics – equivalent to 111 plastic water bottles.

The EV6 offers intelligent and flexible interior packaging and an abundance of cabin storage areas, including 520 liters (VDA) of trunk space with the second-row seats in place. With the second-row seats folded down, stowage capacity increases to approximately 1,300 liters. The car also features a front trunk which provides up to an additional 52 liters of stowage space for 2WD models and 20 liters for AWD models.

Electric Power
The EV6 offers buyers a choice of multiple fully-electric, zero-emission powertrain configurations, including long-range (77.4 kWh) and standard-range (58.0 kWh) high-voltage battery packs. EV6 GT-line is available with both long-range and standard-range battery packs, while EV6 GT features the long-range battery pack only. This is Kia's first electric vehicle to be available with two-wheel (2WD) or all-wheel drive (AWD) options – the latter offering enhanced dynamic capability in even the most challenging conditions.

The 2WD 77.4 kWh EV6 can travel over 510 kilometers (316 miles) on a single charge on the WLTP combined cycle. With a maximum 605 Nm torque available on the AWD version, the EV6 can accelerate from 0-to-100 km/h in just 5.2 seconds. The 77.4 kWh battery pack is paired with a 168 kW (229ps) electric motor powering the rear wheels, and for AWD models a 239 kW (325 ps) electric motor powers the front and rear wheels.

The 58.0 kWh EV6 can accelerate from 0-to-100 km/h in 6.2 seconds, with a maximum 605 Nm torque available on the AWD version. The 58.0 kWh battery pack is paired with a 125 kW electric motor powering the rear wheels, and for AWD models a 173 kW electric motor powers the front and rear wheels.

Platform flexibility for electric performance
Kia's new dedicated E-GMP reduces complexity through modularization and standardization, allowing rapid and flexible development of products with varied attributes. This flexible development can satisfy various customer needs for vehicle performance within a single model line like EV6.

Equipped with 430kW dual motors, the EV6 GT takes electric performance to another level. With a maximum 740Nm torque, the AWD GT version accelerates from 0-to-100 km/h in an eye-watering 3.5 seconds and can reach a top speed of 260 km/h (preliminary development targets). With the addition of electronic-Limited Slip Differential software to the EV6 GT version only, drivers will enjoy confident control and dynamic ride and handling in all conditions.

"The GT version of EV6 demonstrates our technological leadership through its combination of outstanding high-speed charging and acceleration performance like a super sports car. With our dedicated EV platform, there is no need for compromise between inspiring spaciousness and performance," said Albert Biermann, President and Head of R&D Division for Hyundai Motor Group.

800V Ultra-Fast Charging
The EV6 offers 800V and 400V charging capabilities, without the need for additional components or adapters. The car is capable of a high-speed charge from 10 to 80 percent in just 18 minutes on all variations or a top-up charge of 100km of driving range in less than four and a half minutes when pairing 2WD with the 77.4-kWh battery option.

The car's charging system is more flexible than previous generation BEVs thanks to an Integrated Charging Control Unit (ICCU). The ICCU enables a new vehicle-to-load (V2L) function, which is capable of discharging energy from the vehicle battery. The V2L function can supply up to 3.6kW of power and is capable, as an example, of operating a 55-inch television and air conditioner simultaneously for more than 24 hours. The system is also able to charge another EV, if needed.

With more than 35% charge left in the battery, the EV6 can tow items weighing up to 1,600 kg. Together with the V2L function, EV6 owners can take everything they need on an outdoor adventure with friends and family and do it all with zero emissions.

Energy recuperation
The EV6 is fitted with energy-recuperation technologies to maximize driving range. This includes Kia's latest-generation energy-efficient heat pump, which scavenges waste heat from the car's coolant system. This ensures that at minus seven degrees Celsius the car can achieve 80% of the range that would be possible at 25 degrees Celsius.

Also featured is the latest generation of Kia's smart regenerative braking system, which is operated by paddle shifters behind the steering wheel so drivers can quickly and easily slow the car and recuperate kinetic energy to maximize driving range and efficiency. Drivers can choose from six regenerative braking levels (none, 1 to 3, 'i-PEDAL', or auto mode), depending on the desired level of energy recuperation. The system's 'i-PEDAL' driving mode also allows the car to harvest the maximum amount of energy from its brakes, and enables the driver to bring the car to a gentle halt without needing to push the brake pedal.

Technology
EV6 introduces a suite of technologies that enhance safety, connectivity and infotainment. They are designed to make travelling safer, easier and less stressful.

The high-tech infotainment system includes 12-inch dual screens. Curved displays applied to EV6 have thin film panels that utilize new structure and advanced technology for reducing impact of light. The cluster and infotainment system are connected as if they were wrapped around one body with a reinforced glass. Extending from the steering wheel to the center of the car, it displays a digital cluster in front of the driver, and infotainment system above the center console.

The EV6 also features an augmented reality (AR) head-up display system, which projects driving information onto the base of the windscreen in the driver's line of sight. The system displays alerts from the car's Advanced Driver Assistance System, details of vehicle speed, and turn-by-turn navigation instructions.

The latest version of Kia's innovative connected car system 'Kia Connect', previously named UVO, is included, featuring a range of Kia real time services and over-the-air (OTA) updates. Accessible through the touchscreen, Kia Connect allows users to find locations and pricing of EV charging points, view their vehicle's charging status, plan smart charging schedules and check the range radius based on the remaining charge.

A powerful 14-speaker Meridian® surround audio system is also available, a first for a Kia BEV and delivering a truly immersive sound experience. The 14-speaker audio system has been engineered by the experts at Meridian and features several of the British audio pioneer's proprietary digital signal processing (DSP) technologies. Meridian's core sound philosophy has been integrated into the EV6 allowing customers to enjoy natural, lifelike and authentic audio on the move.

The speaker system also offers Active Sound Design (ASD), a newly-developed feature by Kia which provides drivers with audible feedback to the speed that the car is travelling and controlled via a user interface.

Safety and Convenience
The EV6 offers class-leading levels of safety and convenience thanks to its enhanced suite of driver assistance systems (ADAS). They help to reduce many of the inherent hazards and stresses of driving, protecting occupants and other road users on every journey.

Safe Exit Assist (SEA) helps people avoid collisions with a rear side vehicle when exiting EV6. When the occupant opens the door to exit the vehicle after a stop, the system provides a warning if an approaching vehicle from the rear side is detected. SEA also helps keep the rear door closed through operation of the electronic child lock.

Lane Following Assist (LFA) helps center the vehicle in the lane. When driving, LFA can be switched on and off with the press of a button.

Highway Driving Assist 2 (HDA 2) helps maintain a set distance and speed from the vehicle ahead when driving on a highway and also helps center the vehicle in the lane, even through a curve. In case of an adjacent vehicle driving in close proximity, HDA 2 assists to adjust the EV6's path, so to avoid any possible risk of collision. Also, with the driver's hands on the steering wheel and above a certain speed, a click of the indicator stalk will move the car into the corresponding lane.

Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA) helps remotely park or exit a parking spot with the driver operating EV6 from outside the vehicle.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  258.6 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  274.1 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  305.7 KB
Name:  4.png
Views: 1643
Size:  4.07 MB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  196.6 KB
Name:  6a.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  302.2 KB
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  217.1 KB
Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  189.1 KB
Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  539.7 KB

Last edited by stein_325i; 03-30-2021 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good looking car but how much will the GT one cost? Key question.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Good looking car but how much will the GT one cost? Key question.
Found from a poster on Electrek
Quote:
Prices in Germany without VAT:

EV6 - from $42,360 (RWD, 58 kWh) delivery starts fall 2021

EV6 GT Line - from $51,777 (RWD, 77 kWh) delivery starts fall 2021

EV6 GT - from $62,133 (AWD, 77 kWh) delivery starts winter 2022
mkoesel7505.50
      03-30-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
This actually looks pretty competitive. That MBUX-like long double screen seems to become a serious automotive trend.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #5
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

I wish the roofline was slightly less sloping for more wagon-like look (more cargo *******.

Last edited by AlexFL; 03-30-2021 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3200.00
      03-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Very attractive car, you can see the ex-Audi designers were at work for the both the interior and exterior. Looks like the budget version of a RS6/SQ8 mix.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #7
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

GT will be from £58,295 in UK (= 80k USD)
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...gt-gets-577bhp
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Very attractive car, you can see the ex-Audi designers were at work for the both the interior and exterior. Looks like the budget version of a RS6/SQ8 mix.
Ex-BMW too as Karim Habib had large creative control over the product and is Senior Vice President and Head of Kia Global Design Center.
      03-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Thanks for posting that.

In the US, I'm sure they will price the GT model competitively with the Mach-E GT (around $60 starting, which is in line with this German price).

The 800 Volt charging could become a major differentiator in the next few years if the charging networks are able to keep pace.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      03-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

First Samsung ate Sony's lunch and now this...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I like what I'm seeing. Keep after it Kia, the Germans are watching. Make them work for it.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
jmack548.50
      03-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #12
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Looks really cool. Good pricing too.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:31 PM   #13
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Kia EV6 redefines boundaries of electric mobility with inspiring design, exhilarating

https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/media...erformance-and

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #14
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The badges and steering wheel could use improvement but otherwise it's a pretty handsome looking EV.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #15
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The badges and steering wheel could use improvement but otherwise it's a pretty handsome looking EV.
I actually quite like it. Much better than the old KIA logo.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
damack188.50
      03-30-2021, 02:16 PM   #16
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

In the year 2062, Kia and Hyundai will finally make a steering wheel that doesn't look like garbage. Maybe. Rest looks pretty nice though.
Appreciate 1
m3fuz199.00
      03-30-2021, 02:18 PM   #17
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan703 View Post
I actually quite like it. Much better than the old KIA logo.
Agree, new badging is much better, its just the name that people can't get over. I do think Hyundai though also needs a new badge.
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #18
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

03-30-2021, 09:57 PM   #19
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Kia Planning Additional GT Electric Models After EV6 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor1
According to an interview with Auto Express, Kia Head of Global Brand and Customer Experience Division Artur Martins hinted that there will be more GT-badged electric vehicles arriving in the lineup.

"It is important for us that the new products that we’re going to bring on the dedicated platform that we are consistent with the brand in terms of the elements that, together, will stand for the values of Kia. The GT is an important element of that," said Martins in the Auto Express interview.

Martins also pointed out the fact the EV6's platform, the E-GMP shared with the Hyundai Ioniq 5, allows for more flexibility within the range. But GT-badged EVs will, of course, differ in terms of performance to cater to the more enthusiastic crowd of buyers, as with current GT-badged Kias offered today like the Stinger GT.

"It’s important that we have these products and derivatives in the portfolio that have a little bit more character and that offer the consumer a real exciting experience with EVs that in the past were seen as boring cars. As you will see from the EV6 GT, they can be a very fun to drive product," Martins added.

Looking at the numbers, it would be very hard to disagree. The Kia EV6 GT makes use of two electric motors that make a combined output of 577 horsepower (430 kilowatts) and 546 pound-feet (740 Newton-meters) of instantaneous torque sent to all four wheels, allowing it to sprint from null to 62 miles per hour in 3.5 seconds.

Still skeptical about the EV6 GT's performance? Kia orchestrated a drag race to prove its worth, which involves performance vehicles and one supercar.
      03-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #20
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

The interior design is very attractive. Love the contrasting accents.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:30 AM   #21
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

New Images of different colors as well as in-person viewing of EV6 GT.
Attached Images

06-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #22
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep