BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

12-01-2021, 06:31 AM   #1
uncboysetsfire
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Help with Brake sounds

Attaching a video of an annoying sound that the service department said was normal for the M brakes. Most of what I’ve read was squealing. this sound from the outside sounds like a click but inside sounds like a creak. You’ll have to have the volume up but was wondering if anyone has either had something similar or knows what it is. Thanks in advance because it’s driving me crazy.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0oDYhEEaK7Y?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncboysetsfire View Post
Attaching a video of an annoying sound that the service department said was normal for the M brakes. Most of what I’ve read was squealing. this sound from the outside sounds like a click but inside sounds like a creak. You’ll have to have the volume up but was wondering if anyone has either had something similar or knows what it is. Thanks in advance because it’s driving me crazy.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0oDYhEEaK7Y?feature=share
What Im hearing sounds like low speed friction noise or a shimmy. Do you have any vibration? Definitely doesn't sound normal to me.

Is your car new?
If you get your brakes hot does it still do it? Im thinking might be new brake pad noise until they break in, but really hard to tell through video.

Have you checked all the pins and clips are seated in the caliper to make sure the pads are not moving in the caliper
      12-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
uncboysetsfire
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
What Im hearing sounds like low speed friction noise or a shimmy. Do you have any vibration? Definitely doesn't sound normal to me.

Is your car new?
If you get your brakes hot does it still do it? Im thinking might be new brake pad noise until they break in, but really hard to tell through video.

Have you checked all the pins and clips are seated in the caliper to make sure the pads are not moving in the caliper
Thanks for the reply. There is no vibration and no impact to the braking at all. It happens all the time whether just starting out or being on the road for a few hours.

It started happening after the break-in service and I currently have 2500 miles. I haven’t looked at anything on my own yet just mentioned it to them the last time i was there
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
New slotted rotors and very abrasive, cold track brake pads? Yes, that would be normal noise. But that's not a normal noise for our brakes with street pads and drilled rotors.

Is it front or rear and which side? It would help to narrow it down. Without a steering wheel shake or vibration in the car and with just that sound, I'd assume something is rubbing the rotor (like a pebble). Normally, there would be more grinding noise associated with that.

It kind of sucks but you may have to pay a shop to remove the wheel and inspect the rotor and brake pads for debris or damage if the dealer is dismissing it.
      10-08-2023, 08:05 PM   #5
joerock478
Rep
Drives: 2020 Supra, 2019 STI

Garage List
Hey did you ever figure out what this sound was? I just noticed it on my car when I had the music off today. Only my second time driving the car has 35 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 08:17 PM   #6
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Sounds like uneven wear on the brakes, lack of bedding, etc. Common with new brake pads.

Do a few hard stops and it should even itself out.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 08:56 PM   #7
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

For a clicking or creaking sound take off the front wheels and check the metal spring clips that stick out of the brake caliper by the rotor edge. If you wiggle them they might seat better. That spring clip could creak or clink.

The only other brake part that comes to mind that might make that sound is the metal slide that’s in the groove that the rear brake pads sit in.

Both these parts are shiny spring-steel that can be noisy if they rub on a pad or disc.