Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
AWD or RWD for the track?

I track once or twice a month and the M4 Comp will be potentially be primarily a track car. What is the general consensus with AWD vs RWD in this case?

Weight is probably a big factor for all of us, but does all that corner exit grip and more power make up for it?

The AWD only comes in the automatic. Honestly I love the DCT in the M3 CS. Will I be disappointed with the auto? I'm a full DCT convert however. I love manuals, I think they are great in the canyons, the level of engagement is undeniable, but on the track, the shift pedals just work imho. If it's good enough for F1 drivers, it's good enough for me. I just don't know if the G80 automatic is up to snuff.

I'm interested in everyone's feedback with the automatic transmission on the track, and if the AWD is a game changer or not.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas728.00
      09-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #2
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

I've tracked both M2C with DCT and currently M4C with ZF. In my opinion, on the track and in manual mode, both transmissions performed equally good and haven't noticed any difference. If you were driving blindfolded on the track, you wouldn't be able to tell which is which except for the sound on downshifts because the ZF doesn't have the same crisp roaring throttle blip / rev match.

For me it's actually on the street, where it's not as intense as on the track, where it's more noticeable that the ZF isn't quite as crisp and as engaging to shift as the DCT.

Best thing to do is to test drive a comp and see for yourself.

It's a bummer that the DCT is gone, but we got the next best thing, which is a very solid and reliable performer even if it's not quite as engaging.

As for AWD vs RWD, we'll have to wait and see which is faster on the track.
      09-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
I've tracked both M2C with DCT and currently M4C with ZF. In my opinion, on the track and in manual mode, both transmissions performed equally good and haven't noticed any difference. If you were driving blindfolded on the track, you wouldn't be able to tell which is which except for the sound on downshifts because the ZF doesn't have the same crisp roaring throttle blip / rev match.

For me it's actually on the street, where it's not as intense as on the track, where it's more noticeable that the ZF isn't quite as crisp and as engaging to shift as the DCT.

Best thing to do is to test drive a comp and see for yourself.

It's a bummer that the DCT is gone, but we got the next best thing, which is a very solid and reliable performer even if it's not quite as engaging.

As for AWD vs RWD, we'll have to wait and see which is faster on the track. My opinion is that it will be track dependent and on most tracks, RWD with good tires will be edge out the AWD.
I drive an m4c zf and been in an m2c with dct on the same track. The dct shifts like a kick in the ass. The zf is not as crisp, but gets the job done.
M4Tejas728.00
      09-20-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

The ZF is good, but its not a DCT. I can feel the difference, especially on upshift under WOT. I have driven only DCT cars since 2010, so 11 years on a DCT.

The ZF so far is better for a launching, at least in an unmodified car on the street. But one can, and I do, feel a deficiency when compared to DCT on upshift. It’s a trade off, and BMW clearly weighed the pros vs cons and went with the ZF. Maybe a transmission tune could improve the ZF function over what it is at the moment - idk.

I for one can feel a decrease in momentum, a non- linear drop in acceleration on gearshift. There is a momentary pause - a boost drop, a throttle closure, a selection moment, whatever. The end result is what it is and it does not instantly grab the next gear and rocket you forward in a linear fashion like the DCT did in my GTR and my F80.

That being said, The G80/82 is a great platform overall. Even without a DCT.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      09-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #5
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Not an expert here, but I can tell you from personal experience pushing the tires of an AWD vehicle in cold weather with 650hp/650tq, that had it not being for the AWD (front tires) pulling me out of turns, I'd would be fishtailing it into the shoulder and beyond. Just my 2cents.

Does anyone know the M3/M4 split the AWD biased from rear to front?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 12:01 AM   #6
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Having bought the xDrive myself, I'm a firm believer in the AWD, especially if you're going to tune it. That being said, I went to Thermal today and tracked the M3 RWD, it was most impressive and almost never lost grip and very balanced through the corners. Makes me think in dry warm weather there's not really a need for AWD. I also do feel the slight difference in weight between the AWD and RWD. Driving feel and turning, I don't feel any differences. But the RWD is incredibly competent. I understand why they're making the CS and CSL versions RWD only, it makes sense if you're only tracking it. I honestly feel like the RWD may be actually a bit faster than the AWD on the tracks. The AWD is still king in real world street driving, and of course launch control.
Appreciate 2
Hanibal74343.50
sly1types426.50
      11-02-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Weight shouldn't be a huge consideration. AWD is really only about 100#'s heavier. As for the rest, up to preferences.

I'll take my AWD all day long in any situation, track, street, strip, whatever. Love the car. Full disclosure, I have yet to take it to my local road course due to weather. But next season I'll be giving it some laps.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 05:19 AM   #8
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

This video is worth a look.

Track test of the new G80 AWD car, fast forward to approx 6.50 and you'll see how it compares to the old F80 RWD car, and a few seconds later they discuss the G80 RWD time.

As someone has already said, if you are modding it further it makes the AWD car very hard to beat.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
M4Tejas728.00
      11-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

I have been tracking an m235iR around waiting for my g80 arrive. It has the ZF8. The way it behaves I never even think once about the transmission. Does what I want, when I want. g80 is going to be a big fat beast that probably eats up tires, especially if i drive it to similar aggression as this m235iR, which is such a fun platform. m2cs cup tho with the selecting power would be even more amazing.

Appreciate 3
yousefnjr6115.00
      12-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #10
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

On the track, if you want the best times, and you're not a professional driver, I'd get the AWD.

I have RWD and I'll be tracking mine next year. I'm not looking to have the best track times, I just want to push the car around at its limit. For me, that's such a thrill on a closed course.

On the street, my RWD can certainly get squirrely, even at highway speeds when you floor it. I like it, but that ain't for everyone. For those that want maximum traction, just get the AWD. It provides loads of performance and less drama in rear world conditions, and then you have the option of 2WD in certain circumstances, with loads of drama. So a no brainer.

There's no real reason to get RWD, especially if you're going to track the car, unless you're trying to save money, or a little weight. AWD simply gives the best of both worlds in most circumstances.

Having said that, I'm very happy with my RWD, love the added challenge and drama of all that power in the rear, and can't wait to track it...and I have no plans to ever trade it in for AWD. It's obviously fast enough (I'm no pink slip racer), and the chassis is super solid (though it still has challenges reigning in all the power once you remove the TC, even in MDM mode). I've really enjoyed driving and learning this car.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdoc View Post
The ZF is good, but its not a DCT. I can feel the difference, especially on upshift under WOT. I have driven only DCT cars since 2010, so 11 years on a DCT.

The ZF so far is better for a launching, at least in an unmodified car on the street. But one can, and I do, feel a deficiency when compared to DCT on upshift. It’s a trade off, and BMW clearly weighed the pros vs cons and went with the ZF. Maybe a transmission tune could improve the ZF function over what it is at the moment - idk.

I for one can feel a decrease in momentum, a non- linear drop in acceleration on gearshift. There is a momentary pause - a boost drop, a throttle closure, a selection moment, whatever. The end result is what it is and it does not instantly grab the next gear and rocket you forward in a linear fashion like the DCT did in my GTR and my F80.

That being said, The G80/82 is a great platform overall. Even without a DCT.
Yo if you have Mdrive pro and you turn it down significantly it definitely increases shift intensity
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50
      01-31-2022, 07:09 PM   #12
Cadaver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
I’m going to say RWD, especially if you’re going to track the car. I will say bmw has done a great job with making their AWD more track-worthy. AWD will have the safety advantage on wet tracks. It may also be easier to drive as well. But easier isn’t always better. I think AWD in the new cars with all of their electronics are great and definitely good on track. Relying on these electronics may allow you to have great times, but they will most certainly teach you how not to drive properly and create habits that can be dangerous on track. The rear stepping out “drama” as mention earlier is something that should be recognized and embraced. More importantly, learned. Learn what’s happening and develop technique on how to use it. Not because stepping the rear out looks cool but because oversteer is typically more likely to get you into trouble. Wether power oversteer or lift oversteer, more accidents happen from this than the opposite, understeer. Which is why most all passenger cars are off the showroom floor designed to have inherent understeer. Use the electronics, but learn vehicle dynamics. I think all things being equal, the RWD will be more fun on track than AWD. And, you can learn more. This will translate into safety. I race competively and getting an M3 daily that’s RWD. I’d rather give up snow performance for track performance and fun.
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #13
Pekingduck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

I agree with other people here with the awd potential of getting better track times will be higher. I took my manual rwd track 3 times this year and the rear end was difficult for me to manage when chasing time. I was doing decent times but chasing my awd friends around and seeing them putting the power earlier can be very frustrating knowing that my skill sets are higher. I find awd to be more ego driven.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 01:22 PM   #14
Steve Gill
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 xDrive, F82 GTS

Garage List
xDrive all the way. Its a game changer (as you'd expect) in the wet - it pulls you out of the corners. I have a video on here somewhere of me at Knockhill track in the pouring rain with DSC off on my xDrive.

Interesting anecdote to back this up - I was at a 2 day Nurburgring trackway last August and on day 1, full dry, it felt like everything went past me - partially me not having driven there for 10 years and nervous. However, on day 2, in the wet - nothing went past me. The car was on another level. I have video, just not had time to sit down and process it yet!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 05:35 PM   #15
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

If you want the highest performance version then you want AWD. Its just going to be faster in the dry or any conditions. The amount time you can make up in corner exit will keep adding up lap after lap. RWD is great for the manual.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2022, 05:09 PM   #16
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
RWD for more tire options and one less reliability and maintenance concern in the transfer case.
      03-26-2022, 10:33 PM   #17
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Just drove my awd m3 in cold and rain today and it was pretty amazing how well it handled in those conditions. the ability to get the power down was very impressive. waiting for dry conditions test in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0