Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

The Long Oval Conundrum

I'm looking for recommendations for track day helmets for a long oval head shape. Use-case is HPDE days, BMW club track-based training events, etc.

I've heard enthusiastic praise for the Arai Signet-X, from someone I trust (i.e., not an Arai fanboy).

Doesn't need to meet any requirements beyond comfort, safety, and not spending a ridiculous amount of money.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
hsb100
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 MC Edition

Get a Bell M8 or similar, also Hans required if you get harnesses installed.
Appreciate 1
evilalien447.50
      07-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you absolutely need a helmet in a short amount of time, the cheapest Racequip (all over Amazon) in a larger size than what you think would work. It's not the safest option, but it'll work. I picked up a Racequip Pro15 for under 200 and it's been my backup helmet. Once you go beyond the cheapest helmets, they become a bit more specialized. That means you really need to be able to try it on before purchasing.

I've done the measurements of my head while talking to one of the popular equipment vendors, had accurate numbers, and picked a helmet that would fit. Once it arrived, it was instantly painful. Couldn't keep it on for more than a minute even with removing and adjusting padding.
      07-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
If you absolutely need a helmet in a short amount of time, the cheapest Racequip (all over Amazon) in a larger size than what you think would work. It's not the safest option, but it'll work. I picked up a Racequip Pro15 for under 200 and it's been my backup helmet. Once you go beyond the cheapest helmets, they become a bit more specialized. That means you really need to be able to try it on before purchasing.

I've done the measurements of my head while talking to one of the popular equipment vendors, had accurate numbers, and picked a helmet that would fit. Once it arrived, it was instantly painful. Couldn't keep it on for more than a minute even with removing and adjusting padding.
Thanks. I'm definitely making a shortlist of helmets known to work with the "long oval" head shape. Arai specializes in that, HJC has some good options, and Bell apparently makes helmets for all possible headshapes.

I need something for mid-September, but COVID continues to make things like "trying on helmets" very challenging here.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quick update. I tried on a couple of "cheap" good helmets on Wednesday, and oddly enough the "cheapest" Bell K1 Sport SA2020 fit the best. My head is right in the middle of the top-end and low-end ranges of M and L helmets, but the large M8 was too loose in the face. The medium M8 had pressure points that I knew would become uncomfortable after a while. The K1 was just right in all respects.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 07:52 AM   #6
Toehead93
Rep
Drives: 2014 Camaro / 2022 M3c (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb100 View Post
Get a Bell M8 or similar, also Hans required if you get harnesses installed.
Great advice. I think there are a lot of people out there that do not realize the dangers with having a harness without HANS.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

I have a long oval head shape. I had an HJC that fit ok, but still some pressure on my forehead.
I upgraded to the Signet-X and it fits my head very well.

Side note: I have only used these on my motorcycle
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
I have a long oval head shape. I had an HJC that fit ok, but still some pressure on my forehead.
I upgraded to the Signet-X and it fits my head very well.

Side note: I have only used these on my motorcycle
I got a Bell K1 Sport L. The M8 didn't fit properly in M or L for different reasons. M8 M was perfect in the face, but had a pressure point on my forehead that was immediately apparent. L was perfect in the head, loose in the face/jaw. The K1 Sport L had neither problem.
Appreciate 0