home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-12-2024, 01:53 PM   #1
Antialxx
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor, M3 Comp X-drive

Garage List
AA EL Midpipe + Axleback Thoughts

Just wanted to share my thoughts after 100-ish miles of driving with the AA EL midpipe and their valved axle back system. My goal was to be loud when I wanted to have some fun but calm when cruising on the highway. I also added in a valve controller to open at 100 percent.

Quality and fitment: Great and no complaints. I went with the carbon over black tips and did a staggered setup without sticking out too much.

Coldstart: With valves open is very loud. No exhaust rattle as mentioned with only the midpipe startups. Valves closed startup is definitely louder than stock as well.

Idle: With valves open sounds great, you can now definitely tell the M3 sounds like a sports sedan.

Cruising in Comfort: Comfort mode with valves closed is a bit louder than I anticipated. Also there is low bass-like drone present from about 1500-2000 RPMs. The drone is not a deal breaker for me but it is present for those that are curious. I almost feel like comfort mode with this AA system is what sport was with the OEM system.

Cruising in Sport: Very pleased with this outcome. Burbles can be a bit much to some when letting off at 4000 RPMs but you can always control by turning off exhaust button in center console shifter. When placed in manual shifting, the upshifts/downshifts sound great. You also get a lower pitched scream when exceeding past 6000RPMS. Definitely no rasp from my experience.

TL;DR:
-If you want a loud system without changing DPs this may work for you.
-Loud with valves open and lower pitched without rasp.
-Comfort mode louder than stock and some drone present at cruising speeds between 1500-2000 RPMS.
-The minimal drone is not a deal breaker for me. Overall very happy with the setup.

Will add some pics/videos soon!
Appreciate 4
      04-12-2024, 10:41 PM   #2
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

I just installed the AWE along with non resonated mid pipe, and my observations are very similar to yours. I also thought the drone at cruising speed was more than I was expecting. It’s very tame under 70mph, or over 100mph. It’s that 80-95mph zone that has the RPM’s in that low resonate range.

I specifically went with this setup as I had a friend with the AWS track edition, which did drone a little, but sounded great overall. I had hoped the valved version, along with maintaining the secondary cats would give minimal drone in comfort. I almost went with a Mad resonated mid pipe only, but I suspect it would be a similar result. The reality is that we are getting rid of a lot of baffle material in that mid section, and it’s going to drone some. The people who report “no drone” I think are just wanting louder exhaust and consider this “no drone” lol. There is some. It’s livable and the car sounds great otherwise.
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2024, 10:48 AM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
I just installed the AWE along with non resonated mid pipe, and my observations are very similar to yours. I also thought the drone at cruising speed was more than I was expecting. It’s very tame under 70mph, or over 100mph. It’s that 80-95mph zone that has the RPM’s in that low resonate range.

I specifically went with this setup as I had a friend with the AWS track edition, which did drone a little, but sounded great overall. I had hoped the valved version, along with maintaining the secondary cats would give minimal drone in comfort. I almost went with a Mad resonated mid pipe only, but I suspect it would be a similar result. The reality is that we are getting rid of a lot of baffle material in that mid section, and it’s going to drone some. The people who report “no drone” I think are just wanting louder exhaust and consider this “no drone” lol. There is some. It’s livable and the car sounds great otherwise.
IMO the only way to truly have "no drone" is to keep the stock muffler and downpipes. Swapping the midpipe only will change the exhaust tone and also get you more volume, but the stock muffler is what is really good at removing drone and rasp.
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2024, 11:27 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

i had the same setup for a while and i agree 100% with your review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:36 PM   #5
Antialxx
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor, M3 Comp X-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
i had the same setup for a while and i agree 100% with your review

Mike, what setup are you running now?

Last edited by Antialxx; 04-13-2024 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: spelling*
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:08 PM   #6
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
IMO the only way to truly have "no drone" is to keep the stock muffler and downpipes. Swapping the midpipe only will change the exhaust tone and also get you more volume, but the stock muffler is what is really good at removing drone and rasp.
No rasp on the AWE. But at some point I would like to hear someone who has just the mid pipe only with stock muffler. I would think it will still have some slight drown with all the resonators and secondary cats removed. Everyone claims it doesnt, just like they claim the valved full systems dont.

It is very minor however. I seriously doubt you can retain the full comfort quiet with any exhaust system change.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 11:11 PM   #7
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Just throwing some context around my midpipe setup since it’s been awhile and I’ve noticed a change. I have the AA EL midpipe with stock downpipes and axelback (no valve controller), and the cold start rattle has almost completely gone away. It sometimes is present but only slightly compared to when the system was brand new.

Thanks OP for the review on the entire setup!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 07:00 AM   #8
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

I have the exact same setup and agree with pretty much everything.

Except that it’s really loud. It isn’t. It’s louder than stock by about 30%.

I think a lot of people who want really loud would be disappointed. I was coming from an f82 with Downpipes + MPE. That was super loud.

However, this setup is the equilibrium. Loud enough for people to stare, and not develop a nasty rasp. The EL does a fantastic job at smoothing out the tone.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 07:01 AM   #9
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy94 View Post
I have the exact same setup and agree with pretty much everything.

Except that it’s really loud. It isn’t. It’s louder than stock by about 30%.

I think a lot of people who want really loud would be disappointed. I was coming from an f82 with Downpipes + MPE. That was super loud.

However, this setup is the equilibrium. Loud enough for people to stare, and not develop a nasty rasp. The EL does a fantastic job at smoothing out the tone.
Also, it seems for a lot of people that it’s a must to get the axle back as well. If you pair the EL with stock muffler a lot of people are getting those nasty rattles.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 11:14 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antialxx View Post
Mike, what setup are you running now?
Stock, I got an X-drive, so im starting a new project.

I ran all the Active Autowerke setups with AA and stock downpipes.
I also ran the AWE setup.

On the X-drive, i will be running the MAD setup and maybe valvetronic

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 02:17 PM   #11
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Stock, I got an X-drive, so im starting a new project.

I ran all the Active Autowerke setups with AA and stock downpipes.
I also ran the AWE setup.

On the X-drive, i will be running the MAD setup and maybe valvetronic
If you go with the MAD midpipe with stock axle back to start, I’ll be interested in your comparison now that I have the AWE on for a few weeks that you hooked me up with. I’m happy with it mostly, just wondering how the other option I considered would compare.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 10:24 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
If you go with the MAD midpipe with stock axle back to start, I’ll be interested in your comparison now that I have the AWE on for a few weeks that you hooked me up with. I’m happy with it mostly, just wondering how the other option I considered would compare.
I will probably start with the catted downpipes, then add a catback

Appreciate 1
cozye334.00