Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-04-2024, 05:43 AM   #1
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Dinan X Midpipe

Anyone using the Dinan X mid-pipe on a g8x vehicle? If so what are your thoughts on it. I have been looking to increase the sound level of my 2024 M4 comp X-drive but don't want rasp, drone or burbles. I am aware that for a deeper sound the single mid-pipe is the way to go however I do not want to eliminate the secondary cats (I have a very sensitive nose for smell) and every single mid-pipe I've seen does so. I also feel there might be some muffling effect from the secondary cats so it wouldn't sound like a fully open exhaust. I will be keeping my factory muffler as I have a valve controller and it is open all the time so I cannot see any value that justifies the cost of replacing the axle back exhaust. I also do not intend to change downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 06:29 AM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

There's no smell when you get rid of the secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:13 AM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I have heard in person and it sounds great. Not too loud at all.
Appreciate 2
M4Tejas788.00
      04-04-2024, 08:25 AM   #4
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
There's no smell when you get rid of the secondary cats.
I've heard that from several people but I know I can smell a lot of things that others cannot and some of the smells (such as this one) make me sick. I did watch a Active Autowerke's video where the person from the company talks about the secondary cats being needed to eliminate the smell so that scares me. Even these in-car air fresheners make me sick. I am thinking that later on I can add a secondary cat delete pipe to test for a smell which would be a lot less expensive than buying a whole new mid-pipe if I sensed a smell.

Last edited by turbojg; 04-04-2024 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:28 AM   #5
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Any rasp, or gurgle? I know some people like gurgle but I don't. I'm kind of hoping that keeping the secondary CATS may temper that some.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 09:01 AM   #6
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
I've heard that from several people but I know I can smell a lot of things that others cannot and some of the smells (such as this one) make me sick. I did watch a Active Autowerke's video where the person from the company talks about the secondary cats being needed to eliminate the smell so that scares me. Even these in-car air fresheners make me sick. I am thinking that later on I can add a secondary cat delete pipe to test for a smell which would be a lot less expensive than buying a whole new mid-pipe if I sensed a smell.
It's the primary cats that eliminate the smell, there's no smell at all when you ditch the secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 09:02 AM   #7
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

i like my dinan mid, it's a subtle increase in sound, maybe too subtle. But a valve controller is a must.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      04-04-2024, 10:51 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

No smell from removing the secondary cats, but if you are looking for a subtle increase without changing the secondary cats, the dinan midpipe is an excellent choice.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      04-04-2024, 11:06 AM   #9
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:

I wouldn't be concerned about any noticeable odor inside the vehicle when removing the secondary cats; it's unlikely you would notice any difference at all. However, if you're concerned about a slight increase in odor when standing behind the exhaust or in confined spaces like a garage, you might notice a small increase, especially if you're particularly sensitive to such odors.

I'd still go with a full midpipe as the gains in sound from just removing resonators and is not likely to be worth the hassle or money. You also need to cut your stock midpipe in two spots if that matters to you.

If you do go with the x pipe a valve controller will be a must.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 04-04-2024 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 12:42 PM   #10
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I would just like exhaust of my M4 to be somewhat louder. I actually started out thinking about going to an exhaust shop and having the resonators cut out and replaced with straight pipes but then I would loose the crossover effect of an X or H system.

I have read enough to be convinced that the single mid-pipe would give me the deeper sound which I desire and probably would pull the trigger on the MAD single pipe if it was available in stock as the price seems reasonable. However, I don't like pre-ordering anything as I've gotten burnt several times in the past with multiple delays. In addition, there is the smell risk which would be a deal breaker for me. Right now is my down time for driving the car and I don't like tearing the car apart during the little nice weather we get where I live.

As for the smell... I'm not talking about inside the car as unless the windows were down and the breeze just right I doubt it would get inside but standing behind or near it if it were running would be my main concern.

I felt that with the Dinan mid-pipe that if I wanted to later on I could experiment with adding the secondary cat replacement pipes for under $300 and if I didn't like the result I wouldn't loose the entire exhaust system as I could just put the secondary cats back on and still have the extra sound level increase of the dual resonator delete. As for an additional cut on the stock exhaust it would certainly make storage a lot easier so I don't mind.

My only concern right now with the Dinan mid-pipe is how it sounds and if it was raspy, had a drone or had excessive burbles. I want the character of the exhaust sound to match the rich character of the M car and not that of a teenager's (mother's) souped up 4 cylinder KIA.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 01:30 PM   #11
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
I would just like exhaust of my M4 to be somewhat louder. I actually started out thinking about going to an exhaust shop and having the resonators cut out and replaced with straight pipes but then I would loose the crossover effect of an X or H system.

I have read enough to be convinced that the single mid-pipe would give me the deeper sound which I desire and probably would pull the trigger on the MAD single pipe if it was available in stock as the price seems reasonable. However, I don't like pre-ordering anything as I've gotten burnt several times in the past with multiple delays. In addition, there is the smell risk which would be a deal breaker for me. Right now is my down time for driving the car and I don't like tearing the car apart during the little nice weather we get where I live.

As for the smell... I'm not talking about inside the car as unless the windows were down and the breeze just right I doubt it would get inside but standing behind or near it if it were running would be my main concern.

I felt that with the Dinan mid-pipe that if I wanted to later on I could experiment with adding the secondary cat replacement pipes for under $300 and if I didn't like the result I wouldn't loose the entire exhaust system as I could just put the secondary cats back on and still have the extra sound level increase of the dual resonator delete. As for an additional cut on the stock exhaust it would certainly make storage a lot easier so I don't mind.

My only concern right now with the Dinan mid-pipe is how it sounds and if it was raspy, had a drone or had excessive burbles. I want the character of the exhaust sound to match the rich character of the M car and not that of a teenager's (mother's) souped up 4 cylinder KIA.
Totally understandable and thank you for considering us as an option. Just fyi though there is no need to pre order if you don't want to. We have plenty coming to fulfill all pre orders. We also have a policy in place that allows any pre order to be refunded immediately no questions asked. We don't hold any customers orders ransom

With that said the dinan x pipe sounds like a good fit for you. Please report back and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 06:42 PM   #12
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Totally understandable and thank you for considering us as an option. Just fyi though there is no need to pre order if you don't want to. We have plenty coming to fulfill all pre orders. We also have a policy in place that allows any pre order to be refunded immediately no questions asked. We don't hold any customers orders ransom

With that said the dinan x pipe sounds like a good fit for you. Please report back and let us know how it goes.
Thanks for clearing that up. Right now I want to get something done with the exhaust before the weather gets nicer in PA. Even if you can make the mid May date that is still further out than what I'd like at the moment.

Right now I am thinking I would get the Dinan and play around with it as it isn't awfully costly. If I don't like it I'm not adverse to swapping it out and hopefully by then you will have your single mid pipe back in stock. But who knows, I may really like it and not need to do anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 06:45 PM   #13
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. Right now I want to get something done with the exhaust before the weather gets nicer in PA. Even if you can make the mid May date that is still further out than what I'd like at the moment.

Right now I am thinking I would get the Dinan and play around with it as it isn't awfully costly. If I don't like it I'm not adverse to swapping it out and hopefully by then you will have your single mid pipe back in stock. But who knows, I may really like it and not need to do anything else.

Exactly. I think it fits yours needs especially with your concern of smell it will guarantee you have no more than you do now.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 07:34 PM   #14
dotjonnL
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335iX M-Performance

I recently installed the Dinan Midpipe and felt quite underwhelmed. It's louder than stock on coldstart, but barely noticeable on regular driving except the burbles are more pronounced. I don't have a valve controller yet, it might help.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:27 PM   #15
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Yes! I have it and very happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      04-04-2024, 08:35 PM   #16
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotjonnL View Post
I recently installed the Dinan Midpipe and felt quite underwhelmed. It's louder than stock on coldstart, but barely noticeable on regular driving except the burbles are more pronounced. I don't have a valve controller yet, it might help.
I installed a whole single midpipe and was a bit shocked that it was still quiet, with a valve controller its much better.

turbojg personally i wouldn't spend that much money for a dinan midpipe, any muffler shop will be able to cutout the two resonators for you for around $2-300.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 07:28 AM   #17
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
I installed a whole single midpipe and was a bit shocked that it was still quiet, with a valve controller its much better.

turbojg personally i wouldn't spend that much money for a dinan midpipe, any muffler shop will be able to cutout the two resonators for you for around $2-300.
Thanks all for your comments so far. I really do appreciate them as I have no other source for first hand information where I live.

I do now have a valve controller and keep it open all the time.

I am waffling between thinking that the mid-pipe swap (actually, resonator delete) might be either too loud or not loud enough - but leaning toward that it might not be loud enough. The problem is that I definitely won't be adding catless down pipes and am reluctant to remove the secondary cats. I really do think that removing cats might make the sound more raspy and burbly (which I totally do not want) unless I were to go to a single mid-pipe. Am I right or way off base with my thinking?

forcefed - I initially thought about going to a muffler shop and having the two resonators removed but I gather that there is a need for some sort of X or H setup which I wouldn't trust a muffler shop with. So it comes down to buying something mass produced that I know works.

Last edited by turbojg; 04-05-2024 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 09:03 AM   #18
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all for your comments so far. I really do appreciate them as I have no other source for first hand information where I live.

I do now have a valve controller and keep it open all the time.

I am waffling between thinking that the mid-pipe swap (actually, resonator delete) might be either too loud or not loud enough - but leaning toward that it might not be loud enough. The problem is that I definitely won't be adding catless down pipes and am reluctant to remove the secondary cats. I really do think that removing cats might make the sound more raspy and burbly (which I totally do not want) unless I were to go to a single mid-pipe. Am I right or way off base with my thinking?

In your case if you were to go single I would be looking at a resonated single.

forcefed - I initially thought about going to a muffler shop and having the two resonators removed but I gather that there is a need for some sort of X or H setup which I wouldn't trust a muffler shop with. So it comes down to buying something mass produced that I know works.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 09:40 AM   #19
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
That's an interesting observation. What is the reason for the resonated single? BTW - That was actually what I was looking at.

Are the resonated and non-resonated singles both due in mid May?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:50 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

If you keep the downpipes and/or the axle back stock, I recommend the non-resonated midpipe.

If you are upgrading either of them, I'd go with the resonated midpipe for the cleanest sound.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:25 PM   #21
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's an interesting observation. What is the reason for the resonated single? BTW - That was actually what I was looking at.

Find some local g80 clubs/owners/meets and start asking them to rev their car and see what you like
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:32 PM   #22
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:

Yes both have a estimated ship date of may 15th. I recommend the resonated based on your comment about not wanting rasp. The resonator helps with that especially if you running the valves open more than factory.

Forcing the valves open will allow less air through the muffler so a resonator is a good idea to have as it will smooth out the harmonics in the exhaust.

Appreciate 0