BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-17-2021, 12:04 AM   #67
Vanc2408
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 - MW/SO

I've been driving around in my bucket seats for the last 3 months and can confidently say that I have zero regrets about them. They look great, are comfortable to drive in, and are the first thing people bring up when they look at the car.
Appreciate 5
RockinPA4848.00
Scorp!on1511.50
Sedan_Clan24980.50
chicagofan0019077.00
      11-17-2021, 12:48 AM   #68
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I honestly really wanted them, but I just can't justify the price when I can and probably will get real bucket racing seats with a harness that will fit me perfectly. I think they look killer, and I will be jealous every time I see them.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 05:29 AM   #69
weags12
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
My thoughts on carbon seats from a "bigger guy" perspective.

Thanks to AndroidRobot for allowing me some seat time in his fantastic IOMG beast a few weekends ago, I got to sit in them for about 20-30 minutes. As he can tell you, I'm not a small dude (6'2", 225) and pretty large of frame including pretty big legs and wider pelvis.
Yeah but dude you arent a big dude either. You are probably at the end of the spectrum for how big you can be to be comfortable. Im 6'4, 265. People my size would have a hard time being comfortable. Its sad bc those seats are so cool. Guess aftermarket carbon seat backs is my only option if I want to play with the carbon kids
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #70
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

The bucket seats are comfortable, but it's a PITA to get in and out of them.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 09:37 PM   #71
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
Same here. I'm vested at this point and will find any excuse to love them, even if they cause me pain
I think a younger me would have loved the CF Buckets, but at 69 years old, 6'4" and 265 lbs, with replaced 2 knees, a hip, and a bad back, egress would have been impossible. Ahhh... to be young again!

Last edited by M4CompConv/X7; 12-01-2021 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
FrankieNuo1217.50
      11-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #72
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBMW View Post
This would be a problem for a daily driver.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:45 PM   #73
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Definitely this.

Ive done a few thousand miles and I havent yet mastered the technique to guide my ass into the drivers seat without scuffing the side bolster.

Seats are incredible once in though. I find them perfectly brilliant.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019077.00
      11-24-2021, 10:53 PM   #74
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
This would be a problem for a daily driver.
Absolutely.

Personally, if mine was a daily driver I wouldnt go bucket seats only because of the wear on the side bolster.

Im a few thousand miles in and there are very early signs of wear. Only very very slight right now but who knows after 20,000 miles.

I ought to add that the Silverstone interior only magnifies this and is probably the worst colour for it as its quick to show dirt too. Any of the other interior colours would be an improvement with black being the best Id imagine.

Just as a side note re Silverstone interior. It looks fabulous against the Toronto Red Paint colour, a beautiful combo but because the interior is so white it can trick the eye into thinking there are light dirt marks in the creases of the leather but in reality there are non, its just the natural light levels and small shadows creating ghost marks on the interior. I spent tge first few weeks constantly trying to wipe these little marks that didnt exist.

Last edited by Sunnystone; 11-24-2021 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #75
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
I don't agree with the getting in and out. Only took me about a week to adjust and I can get in/out no problem at all.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24980.50
ONE1125.00
      11-25-2021, 08:34 AM   #76
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
This is going to be my own personal opinion after having sat in both standard and carbon bucket seats and then opting for the carbon bucket seats in my car. I should also mention I daily drive my car as well.

The standard seats while they are more comfortable, feel and look boring to me. The carbon buckets look way better imo and they also hug your whole body better. This is not to say that the standard seats will make the car inferior, they are very good seats if youre looking for something more comfortable, but I was looking for something that would make the car look and feel more special.

I should say that I am an average sized person so the carbon bucket seats fit me perfectly, this is going to be the main issue for some folks. Find a way to try them out first if you are on the fence about getting them or not. If you fit and feel comfortable I would say go for it.

Another issue is getting in and out for some people. After a few days I have found ways to make it much easier to get in and out of the car now so this is a non issue for me. The only other issue is the carbon piece of the middle that feels a bit strange at first but I dont even notice it after a few days later.

I love the CF seats and would definitely get them again.
100% agree, the carbon buckets look cooler and are very functional. They were there in a car I test drove. I took a corner hard and it was amazing how I felt like the car and me were one.

But having had seat back side bolster wear on just my regular M Sport seats, I was 100% sure there would be premature wear on the seat base bolster, and it wouldn't age well. Getting out was awkward and I can't imagine how bad it'd further be with the long M4 doors and tight parking spaces.

My salesperson never professes his opinion on anything but he was also like don't get the carbon buckets. I expect they will diminish the addressable resale market too.

For all of the above and the fact that my car will touch $115K after tax, before PPF etc, I skipped the carbon buckets. I can't say I feel any regret. But I will celebrate every car and owner with the option.
      11-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #77
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
This is going to be my own personal opinion after having sat in both standard and carbon bucket seats and then opting for the carbon bucket seats in my car. I should also mention I daily drive my car as well.

The standard seats while they are more comfortable, feel and look boring to me. The carbon buckets look way better imo and they also hug your whole body better. This is not to say that the standard seats will make the car inferior, they are very good seats if youre looking for something more comfortable, but I was looking for something that would make the car look and feel more special.

I should say that I am an average sized person so the carbon bucket seats fit me perfectly, this is going to be the main issue for some folks. Find a way to try them out first if you are on the fence about getting them or not. If you fit and feel comfortable I would say go for it.

Another issue is getting in and out for some people. After a few days I have found ways to make it much easier to get in and out of the car now so this is a non issue for me. The only other issue is the carbon piece of the middle that feels a bit strange at first but I dont even notice it after a few days later.

100% agree, the carbon buckets look cooler and are very functional. They were there in a car I test drove. I took a corner hard and it was amazing how I felt like the car and me were one.

But having had seat back side bolster wear on just my regular M Sport seats, I was 100% sure there would be premature wear on the seat base bolster, and it wouldn't age well. Getting out was awkward and I can't imagine how bad it'd further be with the long M4 doors and tight parking spaces.

My salesperson never professes his opinion on anything but he was also like don't get the carbon buckets. I expect they will diminish the addressable resale market too.

For all of the above and the fact that my car will touch $115K after tax, before PPF etc, I skipped the carbon buckets. I can't say I feel any regret. But I will celebrate every car and owner with the option.
Pure speculation at best. Like every other option, there will be things people must have, do not want, etc. Carbon buckets will be deal breakers for some and deal makers for others.
Appreciate 3
ONE1125.00
RockinPA4848.00
Geo_FF140.00
      11-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #78
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Pure speculation at best. Like every other option, there will be things people must have, do not want, etc. Carbon buckets will be deal breakers for some and deal makers for others.
Exactly. Who could say this with any certainty? Why would anyone make a current purchase decision anyway based on future and hypothetical resale value? That's weird all in itself. Just my two cents.

The carbon buckets make the car. I can't wait to get mine- with those beautiful carbon fiber bucket seats!
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24980.50
chicagofan0019077.00
kurosagi1123.00
Geo_FF140.00
      11-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #79
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by weags12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
My thoughts on carbon seats from a "bigger guy" perspective.

Thanks to AndroidRobot for allowing me some seat time in his fantastic IOMG beast a few weekends ago, I got to sit in them for about 20-30 minutes. As he can tell you, I'm not a small dude (6'2", 225) and pretty large of frame including pretty big legs and wider pelvis.
Yeah but dude you arent a big dude either. You are probably at the end of the spectrum for how big you can be to be comfortable. Im 6'4, 265. People my size would have a hard time being comfortable. Its sad bc those seats are so cool. Guess aftermarket carbon seat backs is my only option if I want to play with the carbon kids
Yeah at 265 unless you're all shoulder and chest DO NOT get the buckets.

I'm 6'3 230 and I am positive my body is the absolute limit for these seats.

I have the bolsters on zero and if I eat bad for a week I can feel the seats tighten up.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #80
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No way getting in and out of the buckets in the m3 is the true hassle. The door hole is so damn tiny.

The m4s door hole really lends itself to the maneuver necessary I get in and out with out wearing the bolsters.

Just my opinion but think about it, it only makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #81
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystone View Post
Quote:
Definitely this.

Ive done a few thousand miles and I havent yet mastered the technique to guide my ass into the drivers seat without scuffing the side bolster.

Do you have your 1/2 memory buttons set to 1.drive and 2.get in/out?
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #82
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystone View Post
Quote:
Definitely this.

This is what I need to do. So far just been leaving where it is and getting out is a bit of a struggle.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #83
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
"I expect they will diminish the addressable resale market too."

It's not speculation. I'm talking about the addressable market. Not the resale value.

Just about anyone and the significant other can sit in the regular seats. The set of people who themselves with their SOs can fit into the carbon bucket seats is a proper subset of the people who can buy and comfortably use a car with the regular seats.

This is quite evident right in the new owner market. There's no reason to believe that the distribution of the population in the resale market would be different in any statistically significant way.
      11-25-2021, 03:38 PM   #84
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Oh yes! What a gr8 idea!!!

I will soon
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 09:58 PM   #85
Hood
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Quote:
No way getting in and out of the buckets in the m3 is the true hassle. The door hole is so damn tiny.

The m4s door hole really lends itself to the maneuver necessary I get in and out with out wearing the bolsters.

Just my opinion but think about it, it only makes sense.
This might be why I found getting in and out of the buckets really easy in an M4, theres lots of room for me to move in and out. I usually just slide over the leg bolsters when getting in, then I use both of my hands to push myself out of the seat, one on the door sill and one on the center arm rest.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #86
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

Quote:
Yeah I read somewhere that someone had configured the buttons for this, so is exactly what I'm planning to do when mine turns up in Feb
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #87
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
I have the bolsters on zero and if I eat bad for a week I can feel the seats tighten up.
How about those Germans, incentivizing "eating well"
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #88
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by weags12 View Post
Yeah, actually I am a pretty big dude. Lost quite a bit of weight to get to 225, but still have big legs, wide hips, wide shoulders. I can relate to being 265, I was that weight for a decade.

At 6'4, 265 yeah you're likely out of them but not necessarily. I fit in them very comfortably. And I can't say that about many buckets.
Appreciate 1