BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-25-2021, 11:30 PM   #1
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AMG c63s

M4 Carbon Seats vs Standard *DAILY DRIVER*

Hey Team!

Just placed an order an m4 comp xdrive build! One thing I didn't consider was the beautiful bucket seats M has to offer.

Reason being is this as this will my one and only daily driver in busy San Diego.

"Fitting" into the seat is not my main concern but more so transitioning in and out of the car over the bolsters, traffic and longer drives, and my .01% empathy for any lady passenger me in place??

I do plan on fully experiencing the AWD thrill hauling this thing into some bends, so my one and my only concern is - are the standard seats compromised with a lack of keeping one in place? Am I over thinking this? Any advise is greatly appreciated from those in standard seats! Thank you all!

Last edited by aaron.ricci; 10-26-2021 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 12:51 AM   #2
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

The comfort level of the CF seat v.s standard hasn't much to do with being fit or unfit weight-wise, you have to try them and see if it works for you or not. It's like a pair of shoes or a suit, no one can tell you whether you will be comfortable in them but yourself. Everyone here think whatever they bought is the absolute best and can spend hours justifying it yada yada....

I personally find them very uncomfortable, not sitting in but getting in and out and the center piece doesn't work for me as I cannot move my legs....but this is just me.

Just go to a dealer who has these seats in any car and try them, you will quickly know the answer.
      10-26-2021, 01:40 AM   #3
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

The whole standard seats vs. the bucket seats is, to me at least, about so much more than just comfort. Yes, the buckets will keep you in place better than the standard seats, but I wouldn't tick the bucket seat option just because of the occasional canyon run.

I haven't sat in a G8X with the buckets, and I was still slightly on the fence about the seats, but I've come to terms as to why I really want them and ordered my G80 with them. I am not a thin guy by any means, but I'm willing to sacrifice a lot for a sense of occasion, thrill, and joy whenever I get into, look at, or drive my car.

My G80 M3 will be my daily driver as well. I got the buckets because I absolutely adore the way the seats look. Every time someone posts a picture of their G8X with the buckets, I'm left in amazement as to how bloody good it looks. Not knocking on the standard seats, but the buckets add a new dimension of looks to me; it distinguishes the interior vs. a bog standard 3 series. I don't care that the general public doesn't know the difference between an M3 and a 330d, but looking at the seats and knowing that my M3 has something in it that other 3 series BMW's don't makes me feel better about my car. I want to feel special when getting into my M3, and the buckets do a lot to help achieve that. I'm willing to live with the pains of ingress and egress if it means I feel special when I'm driving it or looking at it. And passengers - that's a tricky subject to be honest. My wife asked how comfortable the seats will be and I said "absolutely uncomfortable, but it's damned sexy and I like it." She laughed, said our families will enjoy poking us through the holes in the seat like my old F80 ZCP, and understood the reason for my choice. Besides, your passengers probably aren't paying for your car, so it's great that you're considering their feelings, but you should take yours into account first and foremost. As long as my wife was okay with it, I was always going to get it.

This is, of course, my specific opinion and feelings about them. Some of us are a bit older and would like more comfort, and some of us would rather put that money towards mods, etc. but ultimately it comes down to what the car means to you, how you plan to use it, and what you're willing to sacrifice.

I got Dakar Yellow exterior with Ivory White full interior with the buckets, and seeing it on the configurator made me go "hell freakin' yes". To each his/her own, but my banana themed G80 is going to put a smile on my face as I row my own gears in uncomfortable bucket seats.
Attached Images

Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 28
PWB152.00
JMU_BMW152.50
Salespunk1741.00
chicagofan0018923.00
ONE1125.00
Sedan_Clan24829.00
2011ninja3328.50
Hanibal74343.50
Biimmer70.00
kjx3162.50
LimeRock672.00
m2otwo146.00
cbertels1212.00
WATCHMY6330.50
Sean@PSI2123.50
nal13560.50
BJPM31.50
M3ANSPEC393.00
BigHunk269.50
AJ191.50
Bur4k52.50
      10-26-2021, 02:46 AM   #4
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
The whole standard seats vs. the bucket seats is, to me at least, about so much more than just comfort. Yes, the buckets will keep you in place better than the standard seats, but I wouldn't tick the bucket seat option just because of the occasional canyon run.

I haven't sat in a G8X with the buckets, and I was still slightly on the fence about the seats, but I've come to terms as to why I really want them and ordered my G80 with them. I am not a thin guy by any means, but I'm willing to sacrifice a lot for a sense of occasion, thrill, and joy whenever I get into, look at, or drive my car.

My G80 M3 will be my daily driver as well. I got the buckets because I absolutely adore the way the seats look. Every time someone posts a picture of their G8X with the buckets, I'm left in amazement as to how bloody good it looks. Not knocking on the standard seats, but the buckets add a new dimension of looks to me; it distinguishes the interior vs. a bog standard 3 series. I don't care that the general public doesn't know the difference between an M3 and a 330d, but looking at the seats and knowing that my M3 has something in it that other 3 series BMW's don't makes me feel better about my car. I want to feel special when getting into my M3, and the buckets do a lot to help achieve that. I'm willing to live with the pains of ingress and egress if it means I feel special when I'm driving it or looking at it. And passengers - that's a tricky subject to be honest. My wife asked how comfortable the seats will be and I said "absolutely uncomfortable, but it's damned sexy and I like it." She laughed, said our families will enjoy poking us through the holes in the seat like my old F80 ZCP, and understood the reason for my choice. Besides, your passengers probably aren't paying for your car, so it's great that you're considering their feelings, but you should take yours into account first and foremost. As long as my wife was okay with it, I was always going to get it.

This is, of course, my specific opinion and feelings about them. Some of us are a bit older and would like more comfort, and some of us would rather put that money towards mods, etc. but ultimately it comes down to what the car means to you, how you plan to use it, and what you're willing to sacrifice.

I got Dakar Yellow exterior with Ivory White full interior with the buckets, and seeing it on the configurator made me go "hell freakin' yes". To each his/her own, but my banana themed G80 is going to put a smile on my face as I row my own gears in uncomfortable bucket seats.

Thank you for the reply! I love this and admire everything about it. Yes, you nailed wow factor and overall unique special feeling you will obtain from your purchase. Congrats as well. I can for sure appreciate any perspective gains in life to add smiles. The Carbon seats easily accomplish this no doubt about it, that I can appreciate.

Looks aside, I am looking forward to experiencing the AWD thrill on the weekend, being cozy in my commute in wonderful traffic, and getting in and out of the car. I am coming from a AMG c63s that just CANNOT stick to the ground, tune included - forget it. I just hope the standard seats keep me in place as I plan to lunge into some turns is where I am leaning into! Thanks again and congrats! Car looks great!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:49 AM   #5
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
The comfort level of the CF seat v.s standard hasn't much to do with being fit or unfit weight-wise, you have to try them and see if it works for you or not. It's like a pair of shoes or a suit, no one can tell you whether you will be comfortable in them but yourself. Everyone here think whatever they bought is the absolute best and can spend hours justifying it yada yada....

I personally find them very uncomfortable, not sitting in but getting in and out and the center piece doesn't work for me as I cannot move my legs....but this is just me.

Just go to a dealer who has these seats in any car and try them, you will quickly know the answer.

Thank you for the reply! This response is where my thoughts are exactly. I did drive the m8 with bucket seats as I remember the wow factor, I really remember getting in and out of the car as well and thought dam that is a pain in the ass..

Just hoping the standard seats keep me happily in place for the AWD experience at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 05:16 AM   #6
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

They are by far the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. They are very supportive. I am lean but fairly built and am speaking from personal experience.

Getting in is easy, getting out requires a little more effort than other seats (obviously).

First off, there are many threads on this and you should read them and make your decision.

Secondly, many people who advise against the CF Bucket seats don't own them. Keep that in mind.
Appreciate 2
Mamba279.00
m2otwo146.00
      10-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Given the rarity of G80/82's on dealer lots to try sampling these seats, on what other models are they available? M5? M8? (Can't imagine finding those will be much easier...)
      10-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #8
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Thank you for the reply! This response is where my thoughts are exactly. I did drive the m8 with bucket seats as I remember the wow factor, I really remember getting in and out of the car as well and thought dam that is a pain in the ass..

Just hoping the standard seats keep me happily in place for the AWD experience at this point.
Personally I thought they felt great when in them, but getting out was a total PITA. Plus I had buckets in another car and my wife got to the point where she refused to ride in it. It wasn't a comfort issue for her, it was egress. She has a pretty high tolerance as well, we drove that car coast to coast in 2 days once, but choose wisely based on your personal situation. If it is just you plus some randoms and you don't get in and out of your car six times per day, absolutely get them. They add so much to the interior. If you run around in your car a lot on a daily basis you might regret getting them. Several people here have sold their cars in short order specifically because of the buckets.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #9
WraithM5
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F80 M3, G80 M3C Xdrive

I daily drive the car with the carbon seats, before delivery I did have some concerns over the comfort of the seats. After over a month with the car, 2500 km , and a considerable amount of time stuck in rush hour traffic I do not regret the CFB seats at all. They're a bit stiff at first but that goes away very fast. You will also develop a technique for getting in and out of them as that is a bit of a challenge, I put the steering wheel all the way in and up and move the seat back to avoid any friction.
Appreciate 3
JMU_BMW152.50
element561089.50
KANdaddy2421.00
      10-26-2021, 03:29 PM   #10
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Quote:

Personally I thought they felt great when in them, but getting out was a total PITA. Plus I had buckets in another car and my wife got to the point where she refused to ride in it. It wasn't a comfort issue for her, it was egress. She has a pretty high tolerance as well, we drove that car coast to coast in 2 days once, but choose wisely based on your personal situation. If it is just you plus some randoms and you don't get in and out of your car six times per day, absolutely get them. They add so much to the interior. If you run around in your car a lot on a daily basis you might regret getting them. Several people here have sold their cars in short order specifically because of the buckets.
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate this. Yes I am constantly in and out of the car which leaves me to this thread haha. Your insight is appreciated.

I just hope the standard seats hold me in place bending turns and what not. I heard the m3C always had standard seats with the driving experience so I have confidence
Appreciate 1
Salespunk1741.00
      10-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #11
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
I just hope the standard seats hold me in place bending turns and what not.
Dude, we're not talking about a Ford LTD with the vinyl bench here. The "standard" seats are still supremely comfortable and supportive; They may not clamp you in as tightly when driving at 10/10, but for everyday driving I would not have any concerns.
Sinjen257.00
Needsdecaf6361.50
BJPM31.50
      10-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #12
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Raptor, 2008 Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Dude, we're not talking about a Ford LTD with the vinyl bench here. The "standard" seats are still supremely comfortable and supportive; They may not clamp you in as tightly when driving at 10/10, but for everyday driving I would not have any concerns.

I have over 1200 track miles on the "standard" seats and I do not miss the CF seats. I rode in them on the tract and they are great!!! But I use my m3c a good bit (8000+ miles now) and some longer road trips... I am very happy with the standard, and my female friends are also. 2 cents worth..
Appreciate 1
Salespunk1741.00
      10-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #13
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Hey Team!

Just placed an order an m4 comp xdrive build! One thing I didn't consider was the beautiful bucket seats M has to offer.

Reason being is this as this will my one and only daily driver in busy San Diego.

"Fitting" into the seat is not my main concern but more so transitioning in and out of the car over the bolsters, traffic and longer drives, and my .01% empathy for any lady passenger me in place??

I do plan on fully experiencing the AWD thrill hauling this thing into some bends, so my one and my only concern is - are the standard seats compromised with a lack of keeping one in place? Am I over thinking this? Any advise is greatly appreciated from those in standard seats! Thank you all!
The standard seats are perfectly fine for spirited weekend driving, you won't be falling out of them and they will definitely be more comfortable than the buckets for getting in and out of, stop and go traffic and long journeys… but the buckets just look so damn good!

I bought a car that was special ordered by someone else and it didn't have the buckets. If it did I would be very happy to have the buckets as I don't daily drive, but I love the standard seats too. They're very comfortable and everyone comments that they look and feel amazing.

If you really want the wow factor you should change the order and just get the buckets, but if you have any concerns about comfort then stick with the standard seats would be my view
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 09:59 PM   #14
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Hahah for sure! I am coming from a AMG c63s, almost as good as a Ford LTD. Thank you for the honest response, I am feeling better about the order, magically I managed to go over budget with all of the other options. Hoping for the best mate!
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #15
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
I have over 1200 track miles on the "standard" seats and I do not miss the CF seats. I rode in them on the tract and they are great!!! But I use my m3c a good bit (8000+ miles now) and some longer road trips... I am very happy with the standard, and my female friends are also. 2 cents worth..
Haha hell yea. Thank you for your 2 cents, its valued a lot higher for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:21 AM   #16
m4compgang
SOLD: ‘16 F83 M4, ‘22 G82 M4CX CURRENT: ‘23 M3CX
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive

Bucket seats all day, i love mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 01:26 AM   #17
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

I went for the tegual seats in order to have the ventilation...

Here in Italy in summer is really hot....so i preferred to go for them even if the Buckets are stunning to look at. Don't know the comfort level of them during a long trip to be honest.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #18
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post

This is beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:41 PM   #19
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

I owned the 2021 M4 Comp. with the carbon sport seats. I found them nice to look at but other than that I think they are terribly uncomfortable and difficult when entering or exiting the vehicle. The hard carbon fiber hump between ones legs is basically a speed bump for your testicles. My wife refused to ride with me in the car as it was difficult for her to get into the car. I had about 1,200 miles on the car and sold it solely because of the crappy seating.

I found an allocation and ordered a 2022 M4 Comp. Xdrive with the standard seats. As it turns out the new car was about $2k less in price because of my not ordering the sport seats. I'll have the new car in about 3 weeks.
Appreciate 2
MannyS357.00
Lexura312.50
      10-27-2021, 11:33 PM   #20
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
I owned the 2021 M4 Comp. with the carbon sport seats. I found them nice to look at but other than that I think they are terribly uncomfortable and difficult when entering or exiting the vehicle. The hard carbon fiber hump between ones legs is basically a speed bump for your testicles. My wife refused to ride with me in the car as it was difficult for her to get into the car. I had about 1,200 miles on the car and sold it solely because of the crappy seating.

I found an allocation and ordered a 2022 M4 Comp. Xdrive with the standard seats. As it turns out the new car was about $2k less in price because of my not ordering the sport seats. I'll have the new car in about 3 weeks.

OK! There you go! Congrats on the movement and hopefully a happier wife in passenger haha.

I appreciate your feedback. Looking forward to this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:15 AM   #21
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:
OK! There you go! Congrats on the movement and hopefully a happier wife in passenger haha.

I appreciate your feedback. Looking forward to this car.

Single guys going on dates with the CF are a whole different world than us married guys who want a comfy/happy wife riding along where ever...

I got standard seat but will be adding the CF backs to them which I think will end up a nice middle ground. Traded in a C8 and the in/out was one downside for us with white hair...
Appreciate 2
Salespunk1741.00
BJPM31.50
      10-28-2021, 07:23 AM   #22
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I daily the CFB's, they're fantastic, don't let anyone fool you into thinking they're not good. Sure if you're on the bigger side, have health issues or trouble getting out then they aren't for you. Now, if none of those apply, get the seats and don't look back. To me the car simply isn't as special with normal seats, they simply make it unique and fun. I have 0 discomfort in them and I'm 5'8" 160lbs average build in my 30's. Everyone is different as mentioned so if you get a chance to sit in them please do. I love mine as does my wife who is 5'1" and 108lbs and she has no issues getting out of them.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan24829.00
Salespunk1741.00
chicagofan0018923.00
JMU_BMW152.50
Harroldv125.00