BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #89
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

OP, be prepared to pay $200+ per month for gas if you drive often.

I paid $500 per month on average for gas only so far.

Last edited by nathanm4; 12-06-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #90
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW F95 X5 M competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
I would commute in the FRS.

I know the M3 isn't a Ferrari, GT3 RS, or McLaren, but it sure is to me.

I have a plug in Prius prime to do my 18,000 - 20,000 miles a year worth of commuting in. It's comfortable, economical, solo occupant carpool lane friendly, and gets roughly 800 miles to a tank with tons of driving assistance to make long commuting doable.

The M3 is my fun car. My weekend car. My "Ferrari". There's no way I would put 20,000 miles a year on a $100,000 car. Everyone's situation is different, though.

When I had my 2016 M3, I had a cheap Chevy EV I would use in carpool lane for carpool access here in CA (and also had my raptor).

My two cents anyway.
I have 19,000 miles on my G82 🥲
That's what I love to hear!
      11-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #91
ElHeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many

My vote would be to keep the FRS. Having two cars really lets you appreciate your nicer car. it's also nice to have a slightly older second car that you car less about and can use for the mundane things that you wouldn't want to use your nicer car for.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #92
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt2440 View Post
I don't even wait the 1200 miles
Nah, i'll be nice to it for the first 1200 miles.

After that, all bets are off.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #93
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Exactly what I'm thinking. It's a 3/4 series. It's built to drive all the time. It's not a GT-3
The GT3 is built to be driven all the time too, I put about 35k miles in 2.5 years of ownership on mine

It's all about perspective. Almost any car can be daily driven, it just depends on you, what you're willing to tolerate, and ultimately - your finances.

I am blessed and grateful to have been in a situation where I could daily drive a GT3. It never broke down nor had a hiccup (only routine maintenance), was a champion in the snow (picture above was after a small trip to Atlantic City during the winter driven on Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's), handled the occasional track day, and comfortably (relatively) lugged my wife around with me wherever we needed to go. The front axle lift worked better than any Ferrari/Lamborghini/McLaren that I've been in, so crappy roads/driveways weren't an issue either! Given that it was just my wife and I with no kids, groceries were put in the frunk (it's a lot bigger than you think!) and we literally never needed backseats. We've since introduced a baby girl into the world, hence the primary reason for selling the GT3, but it was absolutely a car that can be daily driven.

IMO, the only cars that can't be daily driven are cars that are prone to issues. I personally can't consider a car a "daily driver" if it can't be driven everyday with no worries about it breaking down. I had faith in Porsche's GT department and they delivered with the 991 GT3 in terms of reliability (the finger follower issue that plagued the 991.1 GT3's weren't that common and were mainly found on heavily tracked GT3's, mine was not tracked often).

So some of you guys find it difficult to daily drive a $100k car, and some of you guys think "I spent $100k on the car, I'm gonna use it" - and you're both right. No one should tell you how to use your car; you should do what feels right and what you want to do.

Except excessive negative camber and "stancing" it with those stupid wheels that stick out. That, you shouldn't do, and you should be flogged for doing so
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 9
chicagofan0019077.00
barryc3651954.50
DimM3302.00
akkando5863.00
kmualim208.50
Salespunk1745.00
nathanm4682.00
      11-13-2021, 09:59 PM   #94
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Exactly what I'm thinking. It's a 3/4 series. It's built to drive all the time. It's not a GT-3
The GT3 is built to be driven all the time too, I put about 35k miles in 2.5 years of ownership on mine

It's all about perspective. Almost any car can be daily driven, it just depends on you, what you're willing to tolerate, and ultimately - your finances.

I am blessed and grateful to have been in a situation where I could daily drive a GT3. It never broke down nor had a hiccup (only routine maintenance), was a champion in the snow (picture above was after a small trip to Atlantic City during the winter driven on Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's), handled the occasional track day, and comfortably (relatively) lugged my wife around with me wherever we needed to go. The front axle lift worked better than any Ferrari/Lamborghini/McLaren that I've been in, so crappy roads/driveways weren't an issue either! Given that it was just my wife and I with no kids, groceries were put in the frunk (it's a lot bigger than you think!) and we literally never needed backseats. We've since introduced a baby girl into the world, hence the primary reason for selling the GT3, but it was absolutely a car that can be daily driven.

IMO, the only cars that can't be daily driven are cars that are prone to issues. I personally can't consider a car a "daily driver" if it can't be driven everyday with no worries about it breaking down. I had faith in Porsche's GT department and they delivered with the 991 GT3 in terms of reliability (the finger follower issue that plagued the 991.1 GT3's weren't that common and were mainly found on heavily tracked GT3's, mine was not tracked often).

So some of you guys find it difficult to daily drive a $100k car, and some of you guys think "I spent $100k on the car, I'm gonna use it" - and you're both right. No one should tell you how to use your car; you should do what feels right and what you want to do.

Except excessive negative camber and "stancing" it with those stupid wheels that stick out. That, you shouldn't do, and you should be flogged for doing so
God bless you. I respect that you daily it. Even if finance wasn't an issue, I think lots of peeps would not daily that car. There is a guy in my development who daily's a McClaren:-) To each his own. I use a truck for work, so no fun for my daily driver. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #95
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

The only thing that keeps me sane in the winter is an empty snow covered parking lot and traction control off. Of course I daily drive it, winter is 5-6 months here. These cars are built to be driven not to be garage queens :-).
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      11-15-2021, 01:29 AM   #96
KithM4isBae
Private
Rep
Drives: Kith M4, V60 polestar, SLK55

IMO you are a fool if you don't daily an M4. If you are worrying about the value of your "100k" car dropping during your ownership you probably shouldn't be buying a 100k car. There is a reason why leases on M4s are your traditional 10/12/15k packages vs a car like an R8 which usually is in the mid to high thousands. The manufacturer is basically suggesting what to do with the car lol. Now I myself would daily an R8 and probably limit driving something like a 488 or 720S but even then I'd be tempted to daily. But then again if suckers didn't baby their "100k" cars then I wouldn't have been able to pick up a loaded 3 year old range with barely any miles for 45% of the price of new so as you were... lol

Last edited by KithM4isBae; 11-15-2021 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 3
PLF693766.00
Tyga113232.00
jwt2440180.00
      11-15-2021, 04:28 AM   #97
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

OP, I’m skipping the 94 other responses and replying with my own perspective.

You do you. Drive whatever brings you joy, and only drive that vehicle. There’s been many times over the past 40 years when I’ve had multiple cars, and times when I’ve had only one. The rationale for having more than one varies, but the logic for having just one recurs: simplicity. Multiple cars, multiple homes, multiple whatever removes simplicity and adds complexity. It’s not just deciding which car to drive every time you leave home; it’s remembering which one holds your sunglasses, or which one to wash first, or managing space to park them. Each of those tiny details and decisions complicates your life.

This, taken from someone who once had (4) pristine M cars at the same time, plus an E83 unicorn as his daily driver. Soon I’ll just have an AWD M4 to “do it all.” Simple.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #98
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Jesus, just drive it. I bought mine specifically as a dd. Its not like its a carrera gt or ferrari enzo......
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #99
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Some of you guys are nuts. Daily driving a Prius? Why? Life is too short for that crap lol
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #100
mlover789
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IG: m3npae - M3C G80

So 40 miles a day for 16 days out of a month is 640 miles.
with weekend miles, you are looking at maybe 800 a month. that is nothing

Im looking at a 35mile rt 5x a week so roughly 700 miles. with weekend 900 a month.

my concern is gas but i don't want to drive a 430/440... I can always drive that later
Appreciate 1
GolfR17157.50
      11-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #101
Brazilian_BAMF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022M4CX Iomg

I'm planning to DD my G82 too. (70 miles / day)
That's the reason I got the AWD.

In the past, I used to have a KIA Stinger GT2(DD) and a M3 for the weekends.
In the end, during the weekend the family normally went to the SUV. It's more comfortable .

I just drove 2000 miles during 2 years of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #102
mlover789
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IG: m3npae - M3C G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelokayro View Post
I'm planning to DD my G82 too. (70 miles / day)
That's the reason I got the AWD.

In the past, I used to have a KIA Stinger GT2(DD) and a M3 for the weekends.
In the end, during the weekend the family normally went to the SUV. It's more comfortable .

I just drove 2000 miles during 2 years of ownership.
oh wow 2000 miles..

I also see the used M3 market be crazy even after chip shortage is over at 2022-2023 as there were less G80s produced with most people paying MSRP to 5k-10k over.

I think even a daily used M3 with 40-50k miles will fetch for a good amount in 2024/2025, way more than the expected depreciation on leases. Also, this is like the last gas powered vehicle as EVs will take over.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #103
JDR_G80
IG jerseydentrepair IG dravitgrey_g80c
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80c

I'd love to daily my M3. It's comfortable, sophisticated and very enjoyable to drive. That's just comfort mode. IMO M3's aren't a practical daily. Expensive, maintenance, poor gas mileage. A 335d is a more practical daily to me. But if you daily one, I'm jealous.

I daily drive my Chevy Silverado because I have to use it for work. An M3 sitting in the garage is better than not having one.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #104
Hood
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

I got the G82 just to daily drive it. I always wanted a fun daily driver and with xdrive it is winter ready!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #105
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Exactly!! Can't wait for my M4 to get "snow butt" ..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 10:06 PM   #106
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydents View Post
I'd love to daily my M3. It's comfortable, sophisticated and very enjoyable to drive. That's just comfort mode. IMO M3's aren't a practical daily. Expensive, maintenance, poor gas mileage. A 335d is a more practical daily to me. But if you daily one, I'm jealous.

I daily drive my Chevy Silverado because I have to use it for work. An M3 sitting in the garage is better than not having one.
Not practical? It has 4 doors, and a decent back seat, so unless one is routinely carrying multiple 6-footers, it has more than enough space for most of us.

Poor gas mileage? Well, that's all a matter of perspective. Compared to my "other" car, an M3 with a V8, the G82 is quite efficient, especially when just cruising down the highway in comfort mode in that 8th gear.

Expensive maintenance? Yes, because it's a German car, so if anything breaks out of warranty, it ain't going to be American car cheap...but you can simply get an extended warranty when the time comes to have peace of mind.

I have 2 cars: a 2013 M3 V8 convertible and a 2021 BMW M4. Why? Because I feel like life is too short to drive a boring car, even if I simply need to go 3 miles to the supermarket.

My 2013 M3, which I bought in 2017 with 35,000 miles, it now has 130,000 miles. That's A LOT of smiles/mile.

My G82 arrived in late June, and it spent the first month in the shop getting ceramic'ed, PPF'ed, and lowered. So I've basically been driving the car for 4 months, and I have 12,000 miles. And I work from home.

With my home being in Maryland, my G82 has already been to Times Square, Philadelphia, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Kentucky, Tennessee (Tail of the Dragon), Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.

And my G82 has 12,000 miles with me splitting time with my E93 on a weekly basis, because on nice days, I still want to be in my convertible listening to that V8 sing.

Thus, for all of you worried about your G8X accruing miles because of its durability, I can be your official test case. Because my G82 is destined to be a high mileage vehicle, accelerated even more if I'm able to take my 7500-mile cross-country trip next spring. And I already have 2 scheduled track days in 2022 (one in NY at Watkins Glen), and will likely join at least one major rally as well next year. Oh, and I'll be back at the Tail of the Dragon at some point too. My G82 will likely be a 25,000 mile/year car, at a minimum.

Should you daily it? Nahhhh, you can just take it out on weekends and special occasions. In the meantime, you can check in with me to see if mine is a maintenance headache, because I'll know sooner than most.

Last edited by KevinGS; 11-15-2021 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2021, 01:45 AM   #107
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Not practical? It has 4 doors, and a decent back seat, so unless one is routinely carrying multiple 6-footers, it has more than enough space for most of us.

Poor gas mileage? Well, that's all a matter of perspective. Compared to my "other" car, an M3 with a V8, the G82 is quite efficient, especially when just cruising down the highway in comfort mode in that 8th gear.

Expensive maintenance? Yes, because it's a German car, so if anything breaks out of warranty, it ain't going to be American car cheap...but you can simply get an extended warranty when the time comes to have peace of mind.

I have 2 cars: a 2013 M3 V8 convertible and a 2021 BMW M4. Why? Because I feel like life is too short to drive a boring car, even if I simply need to go 3 miles to the supermarket.

My 2013 M3, which I bought in 2017 with 35,000 miles, it now has 130,000 miles. That's A LOT of smiles/mile.

My G82 arrived in late June, and it spent the first month in the shop getting ceramic'ed, PPF'ed, and lowered. So I've basically been driving the car for 4 months, and I have 12,000 miles. And I work from home.

With my home being in Maryland, my G82 has already been to Times Square, Philadelphia, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Kentucky, Tennessee (Tail of the Dragon), Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.

And my G82 has 12,000 miles with me splitting time with my E93 on a weekly basis, because on nice days, I still want to be in my convertible listening to that V8 sing.

Thus, for all of you worried about your G8X accruing miles because of its durability, I can be your official test case. Because my G82 is destined to be a high mileage vehicle, accelerated even more if I'm able to take my 7500-mile cross-country trip next spring. And I already have 2 scheduled track days in 2022 (one in NY at Watkins Glen), and will likely join at least one major rally as well next year. Oh, and I'll be back at the Tail of the Dragon at some point too. My G82 will likely be a 25,000 mile/year car, at a minimum.

Should you daily it? Nahhhh, you can just take it out on weekends and special occasions. In the meantime, you can check in with me to see if mine is a maintenance headache, because I'll know sooner than most.

I clearly understand everything your saying about driving your G82 everyday along the Eastern Seaboard/... "Maryland, Philadelphia, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Cleveland etc"....., However in my personal opinion, since I'm from New York.....( I would NEVER own a G82 in the Tri State Area.

( Pot holes everywhere in NY city).... Everyone driving up on your rear bumper at excessive speeds of 75 mph ...Just driving on the 278 from JFK to Long Island is a Nightmare! The roads destroyed my rental cars in 80's and 90's... The roads on NJ Turnpike "Forget about"

I wont even mention crossing the Brooklyn or Manhattan bridges and Tunnels/the streets will destroy a suspension. The roadway is full of sand/salt in the winter months. )

However, (In my opinion) its a total different in the "Golden State"....My neighbor ( with his and hers Porsche) doesn't drive is GT3 to work. He keeps it in the garage/ covered. He takes his Porsche out on the weekends. His daily car is a Tesla. The roads where I live are not perfect but I call in Pot Holes in my area. ( No salt/snow)

I recommend driving to California from the East Coast.......... and drive North on the PCH/ Highway 1, from Los Angeles to Ventura counties/or Santa Barbara to Los Angeles. Although Los Angeles/Orange/Ventura/Santa Barbara/and SD counties have major traffic on the freeways, I think California is a Car city. Its a lot easer to ingress and egress KLAX! Waiting on your next BMW service results!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #108
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloCo View Post
(Pot holes everywhere in NY city).... Everyone driving up on your rear bumper at excessive speeds of 75 mph ...Just driving on the 278 from JFK to Long Island is a Nightmare! The roads destroyed my rental cars in 80's and 90's... The roads on NJ Turnpike "Forget about"

I wont even mention crossing the Brooklyn or Manhattan bridges and Tunnels/the streets will destroy a suspension. The roadway is full of sand/salt in the winter months. )
I'm in NYC 4 or 5 times per year, and I always drive. And I've always driven through the potholed-filled city in all my vehicles, all of them with aftermarket rims.

And indeed, NYC is a nightmare when it comes to the road conditions.

But it's never dissuaded me. I drive really slow, in the right lane, and look like a drunk driver as I dodge potholes and bumps.

Totally understand if you live there though and this is a daily stressor. Likely not worth it. But if you live in the city, it's not worth having a nice car anyway since the roads are clogged, the drivers are crazy and the roads are crappy.

In MD, in DC and Baltimore, the roads are pretty bad too, though not as bad as NYC of course. But I live in the suburbs, so the roads are much better where I am, thank goodness. Sadly, we also use salt to melt snow ...so my cars will be parked for weeks until we get that torrential rain storm to clean off the roads.

So, for me, since I love both my cars, if/when we get a pending snow storm, I've decided that I'll just park both my beloved BMWs and just rent a car from Enterprise or Turo. Renting a car for a few weeks is cheaper than me owning yet a 3rd vehicle simply for "just in case" purposes. This is also applies if I need a larger vehicle to haul people or stuff, though I have friends and family in the area with SUVs so I can always borrow a vehicle for a day if I need a larger one. So that's my plan...I will simply have 2 fun coupes, and I'll work around the times when I need another vehicle, which I don't foresee will be that often here in MD. And you can rent some cheap cars off Turo, like $30/day for a Corrolla (and less for a weekly deal), which is all I need. Or, I could just stay home altogether, and have my necessities delivered, and/or use Uber when I need to go out. So I have options other than owning a safety valve 3rd car, which I've done for years, wasting money.

Quote:
I recommend driving to California from the East Coast.......... and drive North on the PCH/ Highway 1, from Los Angeles to Ventura counties/or Santa Barbara to Los Angeles. Although Los Angeles/Orange/Ventura/Santa Barbara/and SD counties have major traffic on the freeways, I think California is a Car city. Its a lot easer to ingress and egress KLAX! Waiting on your next BMW service results!!!!!!
I've been fortunate to have done the PCH drive 3 times in my life, all in wonderful rental cars (in a Boxster GTS, in a 600 hp Jag sedan, and in a Mercedes C63s coupe).

And yes, Cali people are lucky because their road conditions are wayyyy better, though in the cities, the roads are clogged. But Cali has some of the best canyon and coastal roads in the world, which I've had the good fortune of driving in a multitude of Turo rental cars (a Ferrari 458, an AMG GTS convertible and a manual 911 convertible to name a few), which I did during the 1st year of the pandemic. So yes, car enthusiasts in Cali are supremely fortunate.

Last edited by KevinGS; 11-16-2021 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #109
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Having heard previous versions of the M3 weren't seen as daily drivers by some people, I spent quite a bit researching this question. After speaking to a few people who firmly believe the M3 is good for DD, what sealed the deal for me was test driving the new M3 which was in my dealers showroom floor. The car is very adaptable, I was almost shocked at how good it is at soaking up the crappy roads we have. This is coming from a M550 driver. I have placed my order, hope to see the car in March or April.
Appreciate 2
JDUNITNOW3498.00
luckylingy3233.50
      11-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #110
SilverKast
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Having heard previous versions of the M3 weren't seen as daily drivers by some people, I spent quite a bit researching this question. After speaking to a few people who firmly believe the M3 is good for DD, what sealed the deal for me was test driving the new M3 which was in my dealers showroom floor. The car is very adaptable, I was almost shocked at how good it is at soaking up the crappy roads we have. This is coming from a M550 driver. I have placed my order, hope to see the car in March or April.
I'm just down the QEII from you and I'm using my M3 as a DD. I see no reason why it won't be fine here in AB, the AWD is great and with winter tires I'm having no problems so far. Maybe on the odd day where we get ridiculous amounts of snow I may have to drive my 4x4, but those are few and far between. I look forward to some fun in the snow, I can already tell this thing will be a blast.
Appreciate 1
BardG211.50