BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-20-2021, 05:32 PM   #45
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

You're not buying a Ferrari or a Bugatti. The M3 is just a regular sedan with some extra sportiness added to it. Unless your daily drive involves going to some rough areas or you are a construction site manager, or the cost of gas would be an issue and you had a cheaper gas alternative I don't see why you wouldn't drive it daily.
Appreciate 2
evilalien450.50
KevinGS3320.00
      09-20-2021, 05:38 PM   #46
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
I would commute in the FRS.

I know the M3 isn't a Ferrari, GT3 RS, or McLaren, but it sure is to me.

I have a plug in Prius prime to do my 18,000 - 20,000 miles a year worth of commuting in. It's comfortable, economical, solo occupant carpool lane friendly, and gets roughly 800 miles to a tank with tons of driving assistance to make long commuting doable.

The M3 is my fun car. My weekend car. My "Ferrari". There's no way I would put 20,000 miles a year on a $100,000 car. Everyone's situation is different, though.

When I had my 2016 M3, I had a cheap Chevy EV I would use in carpool lane for carpool access here in CA (and also had my raptor).

My two cents anyway.
I'm a bit the same way. I have my "daily's, then i have my "fun cars".

Right now i have an SUV to daily, then i have my c7 z06 as my fun car as well as my crotch rocket which is also a "fun toy" that i take out on occasion.

The reason why i got the M3 was because i wanted to have another fun car that i can use more than i use my c7 z06. Which is weekends only. While the M3 won't be used as a full time daily driver, it will get driven more than the corvette but not as much as my actual daily SUV. If that makes any sense.

Basically if i wanna go have fun after work, for example on a wednesday at 7pm, i'll go "hoon" around in the M3. Sometimes i'll take it to work too and sometimes i'll take it out on the weekends. But that's basically why i got it. It's a lease so i will take advantage of the 10k per year but i'm still going to be selective about it.
Appreciate 2
RockinPA4848.00
JDUNITNOW3498.00
      09-20-2021, 05:51 PM   #47
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_Go_Fast View Post
I'm having a hard time with this to OP and everyone's situation is different. Like RockinPA, a $100k car is a bit much for a daily driver for me. I wish I had the income for that but the truth is this may be the best I can get, and that's not a bad thing.

The other issue for me is location. I can't drive the car for half the year because of winter and road salts. Currently I'm keeping my 13 STI for that but thinking of trading it in for a Jeep as a daily driver. I may drive the G82 more daily in the summer but then the Jeep with the top off may tip the scales too…

The bottom line for me is I bought the G82 to drive fast and have fun. Depending on what daily driving means to you in the covid era and beyond, personally I'd rather not be stuck in traffic with the G82. Not able/willing to drive fast in heavy traffic…

Exactly- my M3 will not sit in the garage. I live in Southern California. I can and will drive it any day I want- there's no weather to speak of here. My 90 mile round trip, mostly freeway commute, would do the M3 a disservice. It's not a fun drive. It's awful. Not to mention, I wouldn't commute in it due to no carpool lane access alone. That's what my 21 Prius Prime is for.
To those that have the income and/or simply don't care about having no warranty and no value left on their high mileage M3 or the like, good for you!
Some cars are made for fun, some are made to commute. I'm fortunate enough to have both (plus my wife's 19 RR sport). That being said, the M3 is for fun duties only. Not boring, traffic filled freeways. Whatever wear and tear and mileage mine will have will be obtained with a smile on my face, not freeway frustration.

Sorry to quote only yours- lol. More of a reply to all.
Whats an X3M for? Not appropriate for daily driving? I'm sure the gas milage is garbage too. There are more comfortable DD than the X3M. What about an X5M? Or closer to home the g81 m3 if you're lucky enough to live somewhere where you can get the wagon? What's the intended and appropriate use of g81 m3 vs a g80 m3?

I think part of the misunderstanding here is our definition of a "daily" is different. To me, a daily is something I'll drive every single day, sort of as an only vehicle. That's not the case for me. I simply won't drive it daily- particularly on days I work.
I live in SoCal and have a crazy commute. Carpool access is a must for me. The M3 does not qualify for carpool access. So, I had to get a vehicle that does.
If I worked from home, or down the street, I guess I would flip it into the "daily" category (by my definition) and would not own a separate, commuter vehicle. But, I choose to use the carpool lane friendly for efficiency reasons — and-obviously the gas mileage and less wear and tear on a $100k vehicle helps too.

How's this… on the days I'm not working, it is my "daily". Fair? Lol

It's great to have options. We are all so incredibly fortunate to be able to do so!

Fear not all, this will not be a garage queen. This will be used. Just not for a boring 18-20,000 miles a year up and down the freeway in SoCal traffic. Idk what else to say here. Type on. lol
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #48
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:
I would commute in the FRS.

I know the M3 isn't a Ferrari, GT3 RS, or McLaren, but it sure is to me.

I have a plug in Prius prime to do my 18,000 - 20,000 miles a year worth of commuting in. It's comfortable, economical, solo occupant carpool lane friendly, and gets roughly 800 miles to a tank with tons of driving assistance to make long commuting doable.

The M3 is my fun car. My weekend car. My "Ferrari". There's no way I would put 20,000 miles a year on a $100,000 car. Everyone's situation is different, though.

When I had my 2016 M3, I had a cheap Chevy EV I would use in carpool lane for carpool access here in CA (and also had my raptor).

My two cents anyway.
I'm a bit the same way. I have my "daily's, then i have my "fun cars".

Right now i have an SUV to daily, then i have my c7 z06 as my fun car as well as my crotch rocket which is also a "fun toy" that i take out on occasion.

The reason why i got the M3 was because i wanted to have another fun car that i can use more than i use my c7 z06. Which is weekends only. While the M3 won't be used as a full time daily driver, it will get driven more than the corvette but not as much as my actual daily SUV. If that makes any sense.

Basically if i wanna go have fun after work, for example on a wednesday at 7pm, i'll go "hoon" around in the M3. Sometimes i'll take it to work too and sometimes i'll take it out on the weekends. But that's basically why i got it. It's a lease so i will take advantage of the 10k per year but i'm still going to be selective about it.
One more point - to add to this—

I think our definition of a fun weekend toy differs amongst us all, too.

Your definition of a fun, weekend toy might have 2 doors, start with a "P" and end in "E". Mine happens to be an M3. Along with some others here.

In the past, my fun toy was a Raptor. Motorcycles. Surely, some would scoff at that?! That's not even a car. Lol

Choices are good! We are all different and that's what makes this forum fun. We have "toys" some can only dream of!

One thing I know we can all agree on (why we are here) — the G80/82 is an amazing car and I can't wait to get mine!
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 06:25 PM   #49
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Your definition of a fun, weekend toy might have 2 doors, start with a "P" and end in "E". Mine happens to be an M3. Along with some others here.

In the past, my fun toy was a Raptor. Motorcycles. Surely, some would scoff at that?! That's not even a car. Lol

Choices are good! We are all different and that's what makes this forum fun. We have "toys" some can only dream of!

One thing I know we can all agree on (why we are here) — the G80/82 is an amazing car and I can't wait to get mine!
My dream car is a GT2RS but i'd be insanely happy with a turbo s or hell, any "GTx" model.

My weekend toy doesn't necessarily have to have 2 doors. I just like something "unique" or "flashy". My c7 z06 is about as flashy as you can get. While it might seem like a dime a dozen sports car to many, i can't even go 3 blocks without a single person breaking their neck to see me roll by. I still see people give me the thumbs up when i'm on the highway. I still see kids waving at the car. I still see people take pictures of the car. A car, in a generation, that's been over for about 3 years now, and yet people still love looking at the car.

Combine that with insane power, and pure enjoyment, THAT'S my definition of a fun weekend car.

The M3, even though i didn't get it yet, i know will be fast, i know it will turn heads, and i know it'll be fun, it can't replace what my c7 z06 gives me now. That's why i'm keeping both until i get my c8 z06 next winter.

Also, people's definition of daily driving is also different.

I knew people who claimed, "oh it's easy to daily drive a manual, you guys don't have the balls to do it" meanwhile i daily'ed a manual for idk how many years, took a break and got an auto daily, then went back for a manual daily and repeated a few times. The shit sucks. And when i ask them about their commute. Their commute consists of 2 miles to work, and 2 miles back home. That is NOT daily driving. That's not even bringing the engine to operating temps.

When i was a traveling outside salesman years ago, i was doing 200-300 miles a DAY. That is driving.
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #50
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

My dream car is a GT2RS but i'd be insanely happy with a turbo s or hell, any "GTx" model.

My weekend toy doesn't necessarily have to have 2 doors. I just like something "unique" or "flashy". My c7 z06 is about as flashy as you can get. While it might seem like a dime a dozen sports car to many, i can't even go 3 blocks without a single person breaking their neck to see me roll by. I still see people give me the thumbs up when i'm on the highway. I still see kids waving at the car. I still see people take pictures of the car. A car, in a generation, that's been over for about 3 years now, and yet people still love looking at the car.

Combine that with insane power, and pure enjoyment, THAT'S my definition of a fun weekend car.

The M3, even though i didn't get it yet, i know will be fast, i know it will turn heads, and i know it'll be fun, it can't replace what my c7 z06 gives me now. That's why i'm keeping both until i get my c8 z06 next winter.

Also, people's definition of daily driving is also different.

I knew people who claimed, "oh it's easy to daily drive a manual, you guys don't have the balls to do it" meanwhile i daily'ed a manual for idk how many years, took a break and got an auto daily, then went back for a manual daily and repeated a few times. The shit sucks. And when i ask them about their commute. Their commute consists of 2 miles to work, and 2 miles back home. That is NOT daily driving. That's not even bringing the engine to operating temps.

When i was a traveling outside salesman years ago, i was doing 200-300 miles a DAY. That is driving.
Well said! I completely agree.
Love the C8!!
I have my eyes on the z06 version too!!
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      09-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #51
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
Double post here but I have had a few M3's and I have noticed that treating it like "a Ferrari to me" kills some of the satisfaction of owning a car like this. The big benefit in my opinion of a G80 is the fact that it can kind of "do everything" reasonably well. You can take your kids to school, go on a road trip, take it to the race track... and it will be a solid all around car.

When you move into garage queen or dedicated track toy territory, for the money there are better cars. You could go Porsche for a very nice track day car with 2 seats, or even a low trim Ferrari California can be had in 100k range and you would actually have a Ferrari. Just my 2c, but part of the allure to me was the Swiss army knife factor. Its usable.
Yeah, I know you're right. I think since this is really my first "nice car" it's tempting to baby it, at least at first, but at the end of the day it's a 4-door sedan meant for all the things you mention above. Hell, I already plan to pop in a couple car seats in the back to shuttle the kids around in it (as there's no room to do that in the FRS anyhow) so it can't get more daily driver than that. Seeing others on here talk about how far their work commutes are too is making me realize 40 miles rt isn't bad enough to warrant the headache of keeping another car around and paying for its insurance/registration. Off to autotrader the FRS will go... I will miss you old friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #52
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kDot17 View Post
As someone coming from an STI, the MPG concerns are hilarious. The M3 gets better gas mileage with 476hp than the 300hp 2.5L EJ motor in the STI. My 2020 STI has a lifetime mpg of 15.7mpg and I do not have a lead foot by any means. Talk about engineering improvements!
That's freaking nuts!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #53
DNBladexw
Private
Rep
Drives: M8

The M3 is a great all-arounder! Just DD it
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:47 PM   #54
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Love the C8!!
I got on the "waiting list" shortly after they debuted the stingray back in summer 2019

I knew i wanted one ACE freakin SAP.
Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      09-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #55
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Love the C8!!
I got on the "waiting list" shortly after they debuted the stingray back in summer 2019

I knew i wanted one ACE freakin SAP.
So jealous! That's awesome! I'm gonna mess w this M3 a couple years. Then, I'll have my sights on a Z06 perhaps. I tend to keep a car 1-2 years. It's a problem. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:45 PM   #56
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
I'm planning to DD the car in Seattle. Traffic isn't that bad since the pandemic.

For those with Driving Assistant Professional, I assume it's extremely helpful in stop-and-go, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 11:22 PM   #57
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

I got my G80 6MT specifically to daily. It's 500hp, has 4 doors, and has 2 car seats in it. I use it for school runs, commuting etc. There is basically no other car that has all the things the M3 does, particularly with 3 pedals. Just an epic machine.

I'd love 911 or something like that, but that would be a weekend car, and I can't justify that sort of money for something barely used
Appreciate 3
2011ninja3376.00
LuckyBrand1248.00
HNSKP313.00
      09-21-2021, 12:01 AM   #58
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
I daily drove many manual cars for about 25 yrs in shitty ass Southern California traffic on the 405 and 10 freeways - probably 2 of the worst freeways to commute on in the country.

What I found *for me* was manuals were easier to drive in traffic b/c I wasn't constantly shifting my right foot btw the brake and accelerator pedal in heavy traffic like I would have to in an automatic. I basically had left foot on clutch and rt foot on accelerator and just creeped along, almost never having to brake.

These were real commutes... not 200-300 miles like you did, but I'm talking about 17-25 mile commutes that still took an hour to 1.5 hours each freaking way. Man that sucked (in general).

I had a 300ZXTT manual back in the day. I put like 60K+ miles on that car in about 4 yrs. It was my dream car at the time, but I didn't give a rats ass how many miles I put on it because I loved driving it and it was my only car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:20 AM   #59
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

RockinPA, My M4 is a weekend car, otherwise its in the Garage. Rain? if it rains in southern California/NOT driving it! Cant wait to get my M4Comp..XPEL/Ceramic.
Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      09-21-2021, 12:32 AM   #60
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kDot17 View Post
As someone coming from an STI, the MPG concerns are hilarious. The M3 gets better gas mileage with 476hp than the 300hp 2.5L EJ motor in the STI. My 2020 STI has a lifetime mpg of 15.7mpg and I do not have a lead foot by any means. Talk about engineering improvements!
That's freaking nuts!
I went from and STI to my current car. It was very very thirsty, and I wouldn't say I have a light foot

My goal with the M240i was faster, more comfortable, and more fuel efficient. The first two requirements were heavily weighted. I don't care (or worry) about the efficiency of the incoming M3 because it is an M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:41 AM   #61
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

What’s the point of m3 if not for daily ?
      09-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #62
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Quote:
I daily drove many manual cars for about 25 yrs in shitty ass Southern California traffic on the 405 and 10 freeways - probably 2 of the worst freeways to commute on in the country.

What I found *for me* was manuals were easier to drive in traffic b/c I wasn't constantly shifting my right foot btw the brake and accelerator pedal in heavy traffic like I would have to in an automatic. I basically had left foot on clutch and rt foot on accelerator and just creeped along, almost never having to brake.

These were real commutes... not 200-300 miles like you did, but I'm talking about 17-25 mile commutes that still took an hour to 1.5 hours each freaking way. Man that sucked (in general).

I had a 300ZXTT manual back in the day. I put like 60K+ miles on that car in about 4 yrs. It was my dream car at the time, but I didn't give a rats ass how many miles I put on it because I loved driving it and it was my only car.
That was/is a phenomenal car!!!

300 ZX TT was still pulling $30k+ back in 2016 for a clean 1990's model…

Always wanted one…

Also in the camp for daily drive M3!
Appreciate 1
AlterZgo1537.50
      09-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #63
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
What’s the point of m3 if not for daily ?
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #64
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I don't know if you care about filling up the tank often or not but this car is so bad on gas it's comical. No idea what your other car is like on gas but the M3 is such a thirsty pig!

If you don't care about the gas, just drive it! Such a nice place to be
Clearly an M3 will eat gas BUT it will take a lot of extra gas to make up for the $20K sale price on the current DD.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #65
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I don't know if you care about filling up the tank often or not but this car is so bad on gas it's comical. No idea what your other car is like on gas but the M3 is such a thirsty pig!

If you don't care about the gas, just drive it! Such a nice place to be
My wife has a 4 banger Q7 that sucks to drive and is gutless as anything. My M3 (which I don't exactly baby) consistently gets basically exactly the same mileage, and better mileage than the 6 cylinder Q5 she had before that (also exceedingly average to drive).

I've religiously tracked the mpg of every car I've ever owned, and the M3 is in the ballpark enough they mileage never even enters the equation for me. That said, that's also on US gas prices, if you're paying European gas prices then mileage counts for a lot
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #66
wooblewobble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

Add another mark in the "I got it with the intention of using it as a daily" column. Use it for school runs, grocery runs, etc. Most of it is in annoying stop-and-go city traffic--and I have the manual! But I went into it with my eyes open and have no regrets. If you have the means and can get a dedicated "toy" in addition to something more practical, then the $80k+ you'd spend on a G8x probably is better spent elsewhere.
Appreciate 0