BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

09-02-2021, 02:07 AM   #1
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x£

G80 competition vs Porsche Macan GTS as a daily?

Could this be a viable alternative to the G80 competition as a viable daily? Especially for those with kids?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsch...ts-2021-review
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #2
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Macan is a good little CUV but it's getting pretty long on the tooth and the tech is dated as it's using Porsche's old infotainment system and no Android Auto I believe. It's probably the best driving SUV you can get but it's pretty small and pricey for what you get once you start ticking all the nice options.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Macan is a good little CUV but it's getting pretty long on the tooth and the tech is dated as it's using Porsche's old infotainment system and no Android Auto I believe. It's probably the best driving SUV you can get but it's pretty small and pricey for what you get once you start ticking all the nice options.
Not sure that's correct given the new updates to the Macan. I believe it now has an updated infotainment system, and the GTS now has the same power as the old Turbo (which no longer exists). It definitely seems to have improved with the recent update. It's still quite a bit slower than the G8X though.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Not sure that's correct given the new updates to the Macan. I believe it now has an updated infotainment system, and the GTS now has the same power as the old Turbo (which no longer exists). It definitely seems to have improved with the recent update. It's still quite a bit slower than the G8X though.
Nope it's not using the new system otherwise it would have Android Auto. Only major change in the interior is the inclusion of haptic buttons on the console.
Appreciate 1
ram9cc96.50
      09-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
WHITEUNDERARM
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [10.00]
2022   [10.00]
For the price why not look at a Cayenne GTS Coupe…I've been seriously cross shopping it with the G80….

I have a G80 on order but I'm still in 2 minds….
      09-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
We have a Macan base (2.0T). It's a great little compact suv with enough ground clearance to make it viable in MN winters. Back seat is a little tight for adults to get in and out of, and the car seat is easier to deal with in my G80. I've driven the GTS and the turbo Macan's and they're a lot of fun. Definitely feel like a Porsche behind the wheel.

But because you have kids, I'd test fit their seats first if you can. I also feel like the G80 has a bit more trunk space (I can stash my Uppababy Vista stroller lengthwise in the G80 vs having to turn it sideways in the Macan). We have a rear facing seat still and to make it fit in the Macan you have to have the passenger seat pretty far forward. The G80 feels bigger inside.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #7
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Nope it's not using the new system otherwise it would have Android Auto. Only major change in the interior is the inclusion of haptic buttons on the console.
Fair enough. I made my conclusion from the following statement in Car and Drivers review, but I guess the statement is vague enough that I probably read too much into it:

"Inside, the digital instrument panel and the touch-sensitive center-console controls are now on par with Porsche's contemporary lineup"
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 01:59 AM   #8
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Plus I guess the discounts with Porsche compared to the G80 are virtually zero!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 02:04 AM   #9
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEUNDERARM View Post
For the price why not look at a Cayenne GTS Coupe…I've been seriously cross shopping it with the G80….

I have a G80 on order but I'm still in 2 minds….
Yeah you're right its still in the same price range but the discounts are next to nothing on Porsches compared to BMWs.....hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #10
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by truekumar View Post
Yeah you're right its still in the same price range but the discounts are next to nothing on Porsches compared to BMWs.....hmmmm
Unfortunately the discounts on a G80 are also almost nothing at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #11
M3orPorsche
Rep
Drives: x5D

macan GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 25e, 2021 Taycan 4s

I have a Porsche but would never choose a Macan instead of an G80. Macan GTS is a boring car apart from the engine/ exhaust sound. There are several Porsche models, which steer much sharper and have a lot less body roll. And some of them even weight more than the Macan
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #13
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
I think daily with kids the porsche wins, but I'd make the room sacrifice for the M3 for driving thrill.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #14
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

If going CUV I would much prefer the X3M vs the Macan. More utility and more power. Not quite the same driving dynamics, but value is much better.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #15
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

I went from an F80 comp, to a Macan Turbo, and am now moving back to a G80X. The Macan is great, and if I was to buy one today, I'd probably go for the '22 GTS as it has the same engine as the Turbo, and is a pretty good value.

The rear seats in the Macan are a bit bigger, but not by a whole lot. I have little kids, so it doesn't really make a difference for me. With the seats down the Macan has a fair amount of storage space, which is handy if you need to haul things around. I was able fit a full set of loose 21" wheels and a set of loose tires in the back without issue.

The Macan is obviously quite a bit better in the snow, though I imagine that gap will shrink with the G80X. The air suspension on the Macan is pretty useful, as you can have normal mode, low mode (10mm drop), or off road mode (raised 2in).

The Macan is noticeably heavier and slower. I have a tune on mine which helps, but it's still no M3. IMHO, the exhaust on the Macan sounds better than the F80 (I haven't heard a G80 in person), though that may be in part to my Akra. Porsche uses generated sounds if the car is equipped with PSE, which I don't think can be turned off.

BMW's tech is much better. The 22 MY Macan seems to have improvements here, but I expect it will still be behind what's in the G80.

FWIW, I drove an X3M comp before buying the Macan. The X3M is faster no doubt, but I personally didn't care for the styling and the fact there was no leather dash (at least for the 2020 model year) in an $80K car was disappointing. I also drove the Stelvio QV and GLC63S, but didn't choose them for various reasons.
YamaLink425.00
      12-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #16
kasher_khan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S4

I am currently in the market for a fun Daily (family sports sedan\ SUV). Cross shopping the Macan GTS 2022 against a G80 Xdrive. The Macan is about 20% more pricey for my config. I actually have a deposit down on the Porsche and awaiting allocations. My weekend car is a 2005 Honda S2000. I have driven the E90M3 and F80 quite a bit and found them to be too fast for the public roads to have any real fun without significantly exceeding limits (my own and the law). I drove a 2021 Cayman GTS and 2021 Macan GTS back to back and found that under reasonable spirited driving conditions there was very little difference in either the acceleration\body roll or braking between a dedicated sports couple like the cayman\or my s2000. The only thing different is the high center of gravity (Which I can really notice coming from an S2000). I used to have an Audi S4 and the M3s always seemed like more sporty versions of the audi. I also don't care for the IPAD infotainment (Which I agree is very subtle in the M3). In the end the analog tach, arguably better steering wheel (and feel), better exhaust note and suitability for a family of 4 puts the Macan GTS ahead of the G80X m3 (I am not beyond getting convinced otherwise). Although I will have to pull my deposit (place in line is 1st) and get (3rd in line for G80) - the best I can get. That facts does make me reluctant to change my mind. Also disclaimer that like many others I have never test driven the latest g80. I always found it off putting that BMW dealers dont' allow test drives of M3 (Any generation) readily, where is Porsche dealers don't mind you flogging their 911. If it is not completely obvious I am considering these cars under the criteria, that I will have my 2 youg kids in the back seat... so I am never going to push any of the cars to the limit. Also I don't do any track days.

Note: I can appreciate that on a really nice road or track for that matter a g80x drive would probably annihilate the Macan GTS. I keep the really thrill driving for the s2000 which arguably is pure pleasure at under legal speed limits compared to the others mentioned here (not trying to flame). I am also hoping that the last ICE Macan would probably hold it's value better than the G80 m3 (enough to cover some of the initial difference in price).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #17
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

You're going to get bored with the Macan. I can't believe this is even a question
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2021, 04:10 PM   #18
LimeRock
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
You're going to get bored with the Macan. I can't believe this is even a question
Have you driven a recent Macan GTS? They are quite sharp. I have a 911 and got one as a loaner - I was really surprised. The smoking tire has a great video on the '22 Macan GTS. It's no slouch.

Appreciate 1
WWM3956.50
      12-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #19
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by truekumar View Post
Plus I guess the discounts with Porsche compared to the G80 are virtually zero!
You got a g80 discount?! Do tell
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #20
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Went with friend to nearby dealer's 22 GTS Macan, msrp $96K. Forgot if it had the Sport Chrono or Performance specs. Porsche salesman said it's about the same performance as my M4CX. Mmmm hmmmm, okay. Said they'd make it worth my while to make the switch. Not quite sure how that would've worked, didn't ask. My friend was interested, but the price and interior was the dealbreaker. I miss my 2015 SQ5 supercharged engine, and while the Macan drives so much better than the old SQ5 the engine was lacking in my opinion as a daily. But it was on the lot and it was msrp. Bet it's snatched up by weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #21
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRock View Post
Quote:
Have you driven a recent Macan GTS? They are quite sharp. I have a 911 and got one as a loaner - I was really surprised. The smoking tire has a great video on the '22 Macan GTS. It's no slouch.
I've seen athletic lineman and linebackers but no way in hell me one on one be with a lineman or linebacker in open field they are within arms length…

Same goes for Macant…

You'll be at level 10 trying to keep up with an M3 pushing at level 5.

If it's just commuting sure macant or testla
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 08:54 AM   #22
LimeRock
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRock View Post
Quote:
I've seen athletic lineman and linebackers but no way in hell me one on one be with a lineman or linebacker in open field they are within arms length…

Same goes for Macant…

You'll be at level 10 trying to keep up with an M3 pushing at level 5.

If it's just commuting sure macant or testla
Wouldn't put Tesla in the same sentence. For fun, go test drive a '22 Macan GTS. I was shocked and equally resistant to the idea that car is anything more than a SQ5.

Appreciate 0