Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

11-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Best Aftermarket Wheel Mfg's.

Would appreciate recommendations for aftermarket wheels. I have the M4 Competition and will be installing wheels. I hope to find bronze or gold. My setup is staggered 19"/20". I'm not sure who has the best selection for our BMW's. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Really depends on what you’re looking for and I’m sure there will be a lot of answers to your question.

BC Forged is a good wheel at a fair price with a fair number of designs to choose from.

I also had a set of VS Forged wheels on my old Supra that were nice quality too. I only had that car for a year so I can’t speak to long term ownership with those wheels.

There’s HRE, Vossen, and a bunch more.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDave View Post
Really depends on what you’re looking for and I’m sure there will be a lot of answers to your question.

BC Forged is a good wheel at a fair price with a fair number of designs to choose from.

I also had a set of VS Forged wheels on my old Supra that were nice quality too. I only had that car for a year so I can’t speak to long term ownership with those wheels.

There’s HRE, Vossen, and a bunch more.
I'm hoping to find bronze or gold which will look good, in my opinion, against my Dravit Grey. It is hard to find that color with the 20 and 19 inch staggered setup. I thought about having mine powder coated but I really don't like the wheels well enough to do that.

When on begins inputing wheel diameter, wheel width, bolt pattern, and offset ones choices are diminished, and I have found that there are only a few manufacturers for the BMW size requirements. That is why I figured there would be guys on here with that knowledge through their own experiences.

Last edited by TexasEd; 11-21-2021 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

HRE is one of the best but it’s not cheap.
chenry2355.50
      11-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
I'm hoping to find bronze or gold which will look good, in my opinion, against my Dravit Grey. It is hard to find that color with the 20 and 19 inch staggered setup. I thought about having mine powder coated but I really don't like the wheels well enough to do that.

When on begins inputing wheel diameter, wheel width, bolt pattern, and offset ones choices are diminished, and I have found that there are only a few manufacturers for the BMW size requirements. That is why I figured there would be guys on here with that knowledge through their own experiences.
Look at BC Forged. They can work with BMW fitment and can certainly do bronze. The staggered fitment is not an issue at all.

Biggest question is if they have a style you like.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
par__m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 G80 6MT

BC Forged is what I will be going with.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look at BC Forged. They can work with BMW fitment and can certainly do bronze. The staggered fitment is not an issue at all.

Biggest question is if they have a style you like.
Thank you, I will definitely check them out. I'm looking for bronze.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #8
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by par_m3 View Post
Alright guys. I pulled the trigger today on the BC Forged KL-14 in Brushed Bronze. I think they will look great with my Dravit Grey car. What do you think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13408.00
par__m3451.00
Lexura314.50
JDUNITNOW3498.00
      11-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
ny2nj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

What size / specs did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #10
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2nj View Post
What size / specs did you go with?
Same wheel sizes and widths as oem. For a flush setup (not requiring spacers) the offset I went with is +8 in the front and +5 for the rear. One must take into account the oem offset is +20 and there is 1/2" gap between tire and fender. That is how the wheel offsets are calculated.
The leadtime is 6 weeks. They aren't cheap but they are high quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #11
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Alright guys. I pulled the trigger today on the BC Forged KL-14 in Brushed Bronze. I think they will look great with my Dravit Grey car. What do you think?
Very nice.

I’ll probably go BC Forged when I either 1. curb one of the wheels or 2. get bored with the OEM wheels.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13408.00
      11-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very nice.

I’ll probably go BC Forged when I either 1. curb one of the wheels or 2. get bored with the OEM wheels.
Yeah, these oem wheels just didn't do it for me. I thought about having them powder coated but they seem a little bit "too busy" to suit my tastes; although I have in the past powder coated other oem wheels on cars that I have owned.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:45 PM   #13
par__m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by par_m3 View Post
I think that will look great. My buddy just ordered EH181s in that same finish for his C7 Z06.
Sold: '17 Ibis White R8 V10 Plus

Instagram: @par__m3
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:05 PM   #14
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, these oem wheels just didn't do it for me. I thought about having them powder coated but they seem a little bit "too busy" to suit my tastes; although I have in the past powder coated other oem wheels on cars that I have owned.
I actually tried to get mine powder coated. Made an appointment, called the day before the appointment to confirm they had the powder and crickets…no response.

It was a sign to leave the stock wheels alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 12:50 AM   #15
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

There are a lot of aftermarket wheel options out there. BC Forged is reputable and make a variety of wheels, but they kinda don't do it for me.

I could go into a heavy discussion about wheel brands, but it ultimately boils down to how much you want to spend, what kind of wheel design you're looking for, and how specific you want your wheel finish to be. It's tough to say that one brand is the "best". I personally think HRE and ANRKY are two of the top wheel brands (albeit ANRKY doesn't quite count since they're manufactured by HRE, IMO) but as a result - they're quite expensive. There are other extremely high quality brands like BBS and Vorsteiner, but their wheel designs may not be to your liking. I've personally dealt with Vorsteiner, Signature Wheels, and now ANRKY for wheels for my cars. Despite the price delta between the three brands, I can honestly say that each have blown me away with their customer service. I'm currently awaiting ANRKY wheels for my G80 and ANRKY have been a peach to work with.

If I were you, I'd do heavy research into the following wheel companies and seeing what they have to offer. You may want a different set soon enough I'll list them in order of relative expensiveness (not concrete, just off the top of my head):

HRE/ANRKY
ADV.1
Vossen
Forgeline
BBS
Strasse Wheels
Brixton Forged
Klassen iD
BC Forged
Signature Wheels
MV Forged
Titan7
Litespeedracing

There are a lot more, but I simply don't remember them. Most of the brands above are willing to create wheels with a custom offset to match how aggressive you'd like to go. However, the less expensive options have fewer finishing options whereas the more expensive manufacturers such as HRE, ANRKY, Vorsteiner, ADV.1, etc. have a wide palette of finishes to choose from. HRE's feels damned near limitless.

If you're serious about buying wheels, I'd take an hour or two and look into each of those brands I've mentioned and seeing what they have in their catalog. Just remember to factor in the cost of tyres, TPMS, mounting, suspension (if you're gonna go custom wheels, you probably want to drop it with a HAS kit too), installing said HAS kit, etc. It can get pretty expensive, but it's well worth it if you find something you really like and have the money to spend.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #16
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

i went with GMR Wheels for my AMG. i did so because im a bit old school so i like wheels with lips instead of concavity. they have a pretty good selection of designs and their color palette is pretty extensive. better still....unless you go with a candy color, the price of the finish is included in the wheel. but they are forged, multi-piece and fully custom with regards to size/offset. havent had any issues in the year+ that i've had em...

below is a pic of the rims i had them build for me. their website is www.gmrwheels.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #17
tsixtial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Here are my wheels i just received...excuse the car being dirty and will eventually provide better pics

20's all around HRE Classic 300's (FMR) Brushed Dark Clear (Face), Dark Clear (Barrel).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #18
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

BBS
Rotiform
Rays Engineering

Those would be my favorite because i've ran multiple wheels from each of them and they all are very well engineered.

Never had a bent/cracked rim from BBS and I've gone over some pretty crazy potholes in the past. Rotiform has so many options from sizes/offsets to finish that only your imagination would be your limitation. Rays Engineering have a pedigree like BBS and are very well made, not to mention super light for some models.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #19
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

Quote:
Would appreciate recommendations for aftermarket wheels. I have the M4 Competition and will be installing wheels. I hope to find bronze or gold. My setup is staggered 19"/20". I'm not sure who has the best selection for our BMW's. Thanks in advance
Bit late if you've already ordered, but I like the M Performance Frozen Gold Matt 1000 M wheels (20/21" Front/Rear). I've added them to mine on the M Performance configurator, pics here.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #20
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGM4 View Post
Bit late if you've already ordered, but I like the M Performance Frozen Gold Matt 1000 M wheels (20/21" Front/Rear). I've added them to mine on the M Performance configurator, pics here.

Holy moly that’s beautiful
      12-02-2021, 11:34 PM   #21
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
There are a lot Most of the brands above are willing to create wheels with a custom offset to match how aggressive you'd like to go. .
I'm glad to see this is pointed out.

As an Australian (our population is tiny compared to yours) I'm always amazed at what you guys in the US pay for wheels and the limited options you have.

There are several companies in Aus where I can pick a wheel diameter, width, send them stud pattern, CB and offset requirements, pay $500 AUD ($350 US) a wheel and have lightweight wheels delivered to me within a few weeks.

Koya are an example: https://www.koya.com.au/product-category/semi-forged/

The wheels are the perfect offset you choose and they're cost effective. The amount of times I've seen guys here pay over $700 US a wheel only to run spacers really surprises me.

It's like the worst of both worlds, paying a premium for wheels which don't even fit properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #22
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
You want the best? this is the order....
1) BBS
2) Forgeline
3) HRE
4) Fikse
5) APEX
6) TITAN
Appreciate 0