BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #23
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
I think you are overthinking it. Likely will be a gradual shift. However, it does seem to worry you spending $100k on a car, if so, perhaps what may make you sleep better is to buy one less expensive where your mind can hedge against this change
I would be lying if I said I am 100% comfortable spending 100k. However, the m3 was my dream car since as a kid and I am at that point in life where I can tolerate spending this much without going broke. Just hate the fact that we are living in such weird, uncertain times, currently as well the future. But certainly as
My car is getting closer I am having second thoughts lol.
Appreciate 1
BRAKE!839.50
      12-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #24
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlover789 View Post
This might actually increase the value of the m3.. People are buying this because this the last gas m3 and last manual.. Like people will pay for that in the future. The joy of driving an gasoline engine is still alive
I really hope that will be the case. People paying top dollars for it as a collectible.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #25
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murse85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlover789 View Post
This might actually increase the value of the m3.. People are buying this because this the last gas m3 and last manual.. Like people will pay for that in the future. The joy of driving an gasoline engine is still alive
I really hope that will be the case. People paying top dollars for it as a collectible.
I wouldn't count on any regular production BMW M car (ie. not a CS or CSL) holding value.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #26
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Another thought is as more ev’s start making there way into the market, mechanics will be forced to shift there trades/skills to ev related services and repairs. For those planning on keeping their cars, will mechanics have the same level of expertise 5-6 years from now on repairing ice engines? Just a thought
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #27
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Another thought is as more ev’s start making there way into the market, mechanics will be forced to shift there trades/skills to ev related services and repairs. For those planning on keeping their cars, will mechanics have the same level of expertise 5-6 years from now on repairing ice engines? Just a thought
This is more of a 20+ year issue than a 5-10 year one. Even then, there will be plenty of mechanics around. The issue will be more about securing replacement parts as service supply contracts expire and some of the traditional ICE component suppliers go extinct if they cannot innovate.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #28
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

OK, you made me read LOL.

Here's a better document with more details. It's not as clear cut as a ban. Yes, Rome plans to ban diesel vehicles by 2024 in low emission zones including the city center and phase out all combustion vehicle access to those areas by 2030. Milan has similar plans. Probably a good idea for them and other dense and highly populated areas. This document details the phased approaches for other locations, no country plans to ban ICE altogether.

https://theicct.org/sites/default/fi...may11.2020.pdf
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #29
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
I had this same thought OP. Difference is I'm not worried about them banning anything. They won't have to. They'll just make gas so expensive through tax and regulations that people will be begging to get off of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #30
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
This will be my first M car as well the most expensive. It’ll be something I’ll have to keep for at least 6-7 years.. However, with all this news about ice becoming banned by 2030-2035 it is slightly concerning due to uncertainty. Will gas prices sky rocket? Will resale value of ice cars be 0? I’ll eventually sell my M3 for an ev if things start shifting in that direction but whose going to buy it if it is obsolete.
Is it a good idea to spend almost 100k on a car thats going extinct in the next 5-10 year? Do any of you guys have similar thoughts? Or am I overthinking. I can afford this car but at the same time I’m not rich enough to where I can just buy however many cars I like. Maybe I’m just a worrier lol!!
i cant see them outright banning your car by that date...a stop on new vehicle sales that arent electric maybe.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #31
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
Hence why I bought the last ICE M3 6MT - the last of the Mohicans.
The next one, if not full EV, will be some ghey 4 cylinder hybrid fru fru with a plastic vase and a daisy in it. Yeah blah blah it'll be 0-60 in 1.1 seconds but you will be in trunk sleeping while it's doing that.
Lol... I'd get on board with a hybrid drivetrain complementing what we already have (3l, 6 cyl.) at lower revs. With minimal weight gain, so the goal is not electric only range but boost when needed. Maybe a 2.7s 0-60 and instant torque when sudden unanticipated acceleration is called for. I know this combination works because it works brilliantly in my X5 45e.

A little better fuel efficiency can't hurt either. I've only averaged 15.6 mpg since getting it 147 miles ago. Not for the price for gas, or even going to the pump (love an excuse to drive), but these expected frequent trips for gas may get repetitive after a while.
      12-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #32
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
I wouldn't count on any regular production BMW M car (ie. not a CS or CSL) holding value.
1989 (E30) M3 valuation report:
Attached Images

12-07-2021, 01:48 PM   #33
theone210
theone210
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 competition xdrive

RIDDLE ME THIS……….Where do you charge your EV if you live in NEW YORK or LA IN A HIGH-RISE OR APARTMENT. With a thousand residents.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #34
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Another thought is as more ev's start making there way into the market, mechanics will be forced to shift there trades/skills to ev related services and repairs. For those planning on keeping their cars, will mechanics have the same level of expertise 5-6 years from now on repairing ice engines? Just a thought
This may well be true in the long term, but I reckon such a timescale for the de-skilling of engineers and support networks is still a little compressed. Here in the UK we'll be able, in theory, to buy a brand new pure petrol car until New Years Eve 2029, in which case such a car will be expected to be run and maintained for at least another 10-15 years. Manufacturers will continue to make money off parts supply and warranty extensions. All is to say: there's a glaring discrepancy between the practicality (or eco-righteous idealism) of forcing a whole nation into the seats of EVs within a decade and the reality that folks will still be riding around in relatively newish and (for some, like many of us on this forum) desirable ICEs for at least a couple of decades. The auto-media in this country doesn't want to acknowledge this eventuality; they'd prefer us to think some kind of seismic sea change is only just over the horizon, and thus be guilted into altering our choices accordingly--and immediately. The tech developments for EVs may well be coming through at lightning pace (which is why a new Tesla will have rubbish residuals in 5 years' time) but that doesn't mean everyone's desires or capabilities will (or be able to) move in lockstep.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      12-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #35
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
I had this same thought OP. Difference is I'm not worried about them banning anything. They won't have to. They'll just make gas so expensive through tax and regulations that people will be begging to get off of it.
Theoretically, yes, but any actions in this regard would have to be done very gradually, else triggering huge shocks to the economy since transportation costs impact everything. (And huge existing trucking and cargo fleets cannot be simply replaced with EVs.)

I'm more (or at least equally) concerned about restrictions placed on manually-driven (non-autonomous) vehicles. Once Level-4+ autonomy becomes technically and financially feasible (likely by the end of the decade), I suspect that insurance rates will start applying strong pressure against non-autonomous cars, and governments may start limiting lanes and then roads to autonomous vehicles only.

In 50 years, manually-driven ICE cars will likely be relegated to rural areas and race tracks... kind of like horses today.
      12-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #36
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
1989 (E30) M3 valuation report:
Have you ever heard of production numbers?
Appreciate 2
Chicane_1050.00
      12-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #37
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone210 View Post
RIDDLE ME THIS……….Where do you charge your EV if you live in NEW YORK or LA IN A HIGH-RISE OR APARTMENT. With a thousand residents.
Same place they currently buy gas from, from street chargers, any shopping center parking lot. Almost limitless potential charging places.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 2
sJohnny264.00
      12-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #38
theone210
theone210
Germany
Rep

Yes. I get that you can charge but Manhattan New York and Los Angeles is a built for that. And who’s gonna walk to a shopping center or gas station where the car is charged when it’s ass cold in New York in December and January. Just playing devils advocate no ill will. Auto makers are also going to lose big because the majority of cars and manufacturers cars come from repair and maintenance
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #39
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Have you ever heard of production numbers?
Ah, yes, thank you for reminding me about basic economic principles. I'm not arguing that CS/L models are rarer and more likely to hold/appreciate in value over time, but I was refuting the point that "standard" M3's don't hold any value. My perspective isn't the end of a 36-month lease, I'm talking about longer timeframes that the OP seemed to be concerned about.

Here's the E46 M3 report:
Attached Images

12-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #40
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I get that you can charge but Manhattan New York and Los Angeles is a built for that. And who's gonna walk to a shopping center or gas station where the car is charged when it's ass cold in New York in December and January. Just playing devils advocate no ill will. Auto makers are also going to lose big because the majority of cars and manufacturers cars come from repair and maintenance
Why would you walk to the shopping center? I'm driving there to shop and charge up at the same time. I don't walk to the gas station to buy gas to bring back home.

Not sure about the current state of charging stations in NYC as I drive an ICE and live in Austin.

I guarantee that in 10-20 years, the process to keep your car charged will be a lot less hassle than getting gas now. Might be a little bumpy during the transition for sure.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #41
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
Hence why I bought the last ICE M3 6MT - the last of the Mohicans.
The next one, if not full EV, will be some ghey 4 cylinder hybrid fru fru with a plastic vase and a daisy in it. Yeah blah blah it'll be 0-60 in 1.1 seconds but you will be in trunk sleeping while it's doing that.

I'm starting to think Demolition Man was not a movie but a prophecy. Pretty soon we will stop driving normal cars, use genderless bathrooms and wipe our asses with shells. Sex will be done via VR in combination with genital vibrator. And you'll get a ticket if you say shit and fuck out loud.

I'm sure it depends on the area of the world and country but where I am there's a distinct divide between us and them regarding ICE and electrical toaster ovens. Let's just say I can't see anyone who drives EV's I would want to be friends with and the feeling is mutual I'm sure
While you're at it, maybe setup a reservation for a fancy dinner with your wife/gf at Taco Bell this Friday night.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      12-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #42
theone210
theone210
Germany
Rep

��������☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️
This thread is going left by the post. All great responses and this Could be debated all day long.

The take away from all this is we all have epic cars that will retain there value and if they don’t who cares there fun as hell to drive.

Bottom line is all I care about right now is smiles per gallon. ��
Appreciate 3
      12-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #43
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
While you're at it, maybe setup a reservation for a fancy dinner with your wife/gf at Taco Bell this Friday night.
I’m sure that’s coming because you know the steakhouse was invented by white and we all need to try to be less white, right Coke?
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      12-07-2021, 02:31 PM   #44
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
��������☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️
This thread is going left by the post. All great responses and this Could be debated all day long.

The take away from all this is we all have epic cars that will retain there value and if they don't who cares there fun as hell to drive.

Bottom line is all I care about right now is smiles per gallon. ��
Smiles per gallon, love it!

Going left, not so sure. Not sure what this has to do about left or right. Never said I agree with the policy, just that EVs are here to stay and that the ownership experience will be quite good (depending on which EV you get of course). YMMV of course, but for the vast majority of people, owning an EV will be great.

Self driving on the other hand…NO WAY. I don't even like the car changing gears for me.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1