home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #23
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I like the Macan, it's on the short list for a next vehicle.

Drive the PDK transmission and be sure you like it. It's different and you will be living with it daily.

The X3 is solid reliable. For me the M suspension is too hard. This is subjective.

Last edited by chassis; 12-05-2021 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #24
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i

I have a 2016 Macan S that is now out of warranty. I am trading it in on a new 2022 X3M40i. I priced out the new 2022 Macan S that now comes with the old GTS engine. The problem that I had with Porsche is that every feature is an add on line item. My quote for the 2022 Nacan S with reasonable options we $79,000. The price of my new M40i is $65,000. I have driven two M40i’s and for my needs, I’ll put the $14,000 in my pocket and say thank you BMW.
Appreciate 4
chassis6373.50
CSBM52695.50
heavyD^23684.00
CJ4211448.50
      12-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #25
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navypilot View Post
I have a 2016 Macan S that is now out of warranty. I am trading it in on a new 2022 X3M40i. I priced out the new 2022 Macan S that now comes with the old GTS engine. The problem that I had with Porsche is that every feature is an add on line item. My quote for the 2022 Nacan S with reasonable options we $79,000. The price of my new M40i is $65,000. I have driven two M40i’s and for my needs, I’ll put the $14,000 in my pocket and say thank you BMW.
Did you have the PDK on the 2016? What do you think of it?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 10:21 PM   #26
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navypilot View Post
The Macan has gotten ridiculously expensive with this second refresh for the 2022 model year. My father's 2019 S, from the first refresh, came in nearly-loaded at $75k MSRP. Now a similarly equipped S comes out above $80k. 25 extra hp now, who cares.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #27
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Chassis, yes, my 2016 Macan does have the PDK transmission. It’s a nice box yet even with the 3.0 six, in Comfort mode, there is a definite lag when adding power. Porsche maintenance is expensive. PDK 40,000 mile service and plug change was quoted at $1,800.00. My Indi did it for $900.00.

The other reason that I bought the M40i was basically, at the end of the day, the 2022 Macan S was really no different then my 16 except for the bigger engine and a wider nav screen. That didn’t warrant a $14,000 price increase. By the way, I found the 8 speed transmission in the M40i to be very smooth like the PDK yet without the hesitation.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      12-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

This thread should really specify 2021 or prior Macan S versus 2022 and beyond. 2022+ cars are getting a second facelift, most notable changes are interior updates to hepatic panels vs buttons but importantly the S gets the engine from 2021 or prior GTS. The 2022+ GTS is getting the Turbo engine.

So before 2022 X3 M40 versus Macan S was the direct comp, but now the Macan S is somewhere between the X3M40 and X3M... to oversimplify the discussion if the X3M ride is too harsh for you the Macan S will likely be your sweet spot. Assuming of course that the smaller interior volume suits your needs, and it is noticeably smaller.

I planned to order an X3M40 but cannot get a number of "must have" options right now, so going to the 2022 Macan S.
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
JPM-3219.00
      12-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #29
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
It is a good comparison - the M40i vs Macan S. Porsche badge and more performance vs a solid all-rounder BMW with good performance and more reasonable upkeep costs.

The ZF 8 speed box in the G01 is excellent. Tough choice between these two vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #30
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Did you have the PDK on the 2016? What do you think of it?
I know they call it PDK but I believe the Macan transmission really an Audi S tronic. See post 713 below.

https://www.porsche**********/showth...urbo-questions
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #31
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am very comfortable with my decision to buy the M40i. The Macan S is nice yet now long in the tooth. The fastest selling Porsche is the base level Macan with the Audi Q5 4 cylinder engine. Without any options, it’s 60-62K. Throw a couple of options like 2o inch wheels at 4K and it’s 70k. But it’s a Porsche!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 02:13 AM   #32
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

M40i is the sweetspot

Just get an suv for suv things. The priority here is comfort and luxury. You don't need a 2 ton suv with 'performance' or a dual clutch imo. Nobody is hustling these things like a sports car and asking for 5k rpm downshifts into a corner with the abs activating.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      12-11-2021, 06:35 AM   #33
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Before I traded in my pre LCI, I test drove the GTS but for the same options it was 10K more with no "free" maintenance and the Connect Service were only included for the first year.

My main concerned with the X3 M40i were the seats confort but they must have done something because for the the same seat in the LCI it's like day and night (probably different foam density).
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      12-11-2021, 07:21 AM   #34
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
It's my job . . . and I don't like the X3M. As others have already opined, the X3M40i should be all anyone needs. If you want a sports car, buy a sports car. The rough ride and tire choices in the M make it a no-go for anyone in a climate where there is a real winter and who wants to actually drive this car without a new set of wheels and tires. And the ride quality is simply awful.

Had a 2020 Macan traded on an X3 so we had them both here to compare. The 4-cylinder in the Macan is awful. Had a lady drive it coming out of a 2020 MB GLC300 ask what the noise was and I told her it was the noise in her previous Q5—which she had hated. She wanted something smaller than her Mercedes but the Porsche dealer next door didn't have a Macan, so she drove our 2020. The Macan, despite its cramped interior, was longer than her GLC. She thought the X3 was too large and smooth after driving it, until we parked all three together and she realized the X3 was more accommodating inside while actually coming in shorter than either of the others. She ordered a new X3 and just picked it up yesterday.

And don't get started on the ergonomics of the Porsche. I sold Porsche for 20-years alongside BMW before they became an SUV company, and the stupid array of switches in the current models is ridiculous. I understand they are finally addressing that for 2022. About time.

Took a Tesla dual-motor Model Y in-trade yesterday on an X3M40. Two-months old with 4k miles. What a piece of junk! The buyer's second Tesla—after an S. Quality drives him away, and not meeting range specs. Seat trim broken in two months. Interior looks like (as one customer put it) "I walked into my apartment and someone had stolen everything in it". A cheap car to buy and sell immediately right now, given the odd used-car market, but why bother? Really! I have to use the touchscreen to open the glove box? I'll keep my 6-speed 128i M-sport, thank you.

Last edited by BMWCCA1; 12-11-2021 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
CJ4211448.50
stein_325i25051.00
      12-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #35
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
It's my job . . . and I don't like the X3M. As others have already opined, the X3M40i should be all anyone needs. If you want a sports car, buy a sports car. The rough ride and tire choices in the M make it a no-go for anyone in a climate where there is a real winter and who wants to actually drive this car without a new set of wheels and tires. And the ride quality is simply awful.

Had a 2020 Macan traded on an X3 so we had them both here to compare. The 4-cylinder in the Macan is awful. Had a lady drive it coming out of a 2020 MB GLC300 ask what the noise was and I told her it was the noise in her previous Q5—which she had hated. She wanted something smaller than her Mercedes but the Porsche dealer next door didn't have a Macan, so she drove our 2020. The Macan, despite its cramped interior, was longer than her GLC. She thought the X3 was too large and smooth after driving it, until we parked all three together and she realized the X3 was more accommodating inside while actually coming in shorter than either of the others. She ordered a new X3 and just picked it up yesterday.

And don't get started on the ergonomics of the Porsche. I sold Porsche for 20-years alongside BMW before they became an SUV company, and the stupid array of switches in the current models is ridiculous. I understand they are finally addressing that for 2022. About time.

Took a Tesla dual-motor Model Y in-trade yesterday on an X3M40. Two-months old with 4k miles. What a piece of junk! The buyer's second Tesla—after an S. Quality drives him away, and not meeting range specs. Seat trim broken in two months. Interior looks like (as one customer put it) "I walked into my apartment and someone had stolen everything in it". A cheap car to buy and sell immediately right now, given the odd used-car market, but why bother? Really! I have to use the touchscreen to open the glove box? I'll keep my 6-speed 128i M-sport, thank you.
About time someone besides me said how bad the ride quality is in the X3M. Especially if you have kids, I don't know how that's acceptable for ride quality in the "Comfort" setting...

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #36
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
M40i is the sweetspot

Just get an suv for suv things. The priority here is comfort and luxury. You don't need a 2 ton suv with 'performance' or a dual clutch imo. Nobody is hustling these things like a sports car and asking for 5k rpm downshifts into a corner with the abs activating.
Hmm... you'd be right if this was ~1995. SUV were meant for off-roading, so if people just get SUV for SUV things, then there would be few on the road. But today, by consumer demand, there are more different SUV models made by BMW than sedans.

And buyers are hustling these things like a sports car. In fact, for spirited driving, many SUV's today handle and corners like it's lower center of gravity counterparts. C&D said of the Macan GTS, "...feels as composed on a racetrack as on the street." Sounds like my kind of car.

I've resisted buying SUV's because of their poor handling and cornering characteristics and to this day have never bought one. But it appears this line of thinking no longer applies. We are far from 1995.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 10:53 PM   #37
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Got to test drive a 2019 Macan S yesterday and a brand new 0-mile 2021 BMW M40i this morning. Thought I would post here on my fresh impressions after driving both vehicles.

Porsche Macan S: on comfort mode it felt like there was considerable lag on the accelerator. One really had to push on the pedal to get it going. I wasn’t expecting this kind of slower throttle response on a Porsche, especially knowing that I would only have two types of drive modes without the sport chrono addition - comfort and sport.

On sport mode on the Macan, the throttle reaction was good but not fully satisfying. On Sport Plus mode the reaction was truly perfect. The suspension felt somewhat floaty and I felt like it didn’t firm up on the various modes. The salesman didn’t know how the suspension was spec’d on this particular pre-owned vehicle. But on rough cobblestone sections, the car felt compliant.

The steering wheel on the Macan felt surprisingly soft and only firmed up noticeably on Sport Plus. The salesman pointed out that it will firm up at higher speeds which we were not hitting on the twisty suburban roads we were driving on. This led me to believe this unit came equipped with Power Steering Plus, but we never got to a high speed highway to test this feature adequately. Overall it reminded a lot of the steering on an Audi Q3 I drove many years ago - it pains me to say it was too soft for fun driving. In spite of this, the car would take tight curves and turns precisely and well composed. The Bose sound system sounded very good with deep bass, although my partner was not a fan.

BMW X3 M40i: although we made an appointment last week to try a demo,
our saleswoman greeted us this morning with some bad news. Their demo X3 M40i suffered a severe tire damage over the weekend. The good news is that they were going to let us test drive a brand new 2021 BMW M40i they still had in their showroom. She then introduced us to a BMW Genius who gave us a thorough explanation of the car and then we went for a test drive. One thing that was interesting to learn was how the X3 M40i has a “personal” drive mode to customize every single aspect of the driving dynamics independently: the steering, the suspension, the engine throttle response. So if you’re planning to drive, for example, on a two-way narrow mountain road that’s rough in sections with unforeseen potholes (very common here in Mexico), you can choose to have a tight steering wheel, soft suspension and quick throttle response. This was easily done on the infotainment by clicking on a couple of menu buttons. Or you can opt to let the car computer control everything for you by pressing the Adaptive+Sport buttons. This was quite insightful to us.

In Eco Pro mode, there was a noticeable lag on the throttle similar to what I experienced in Comfort mode on the Macan. The suspension was soft/compliant. I can see myself using this in heavy, slow traffic around the city.

Comfort mode: soft suspension, throttle response was adequate and not too laggy - perfect for suburban driving.

Sport mode: this is where we felt a change on the suspension, throttle response and also exhaust sound became more noticeable. On a long drive I can see myself going back and forth between comfort and sport mode.

Since there’s only a “Sport” button on the center console, I was completely unaware this car also had a “Sport Plus” mode. The BMW genius explained all you need to do is to press the “sport” mode button twice. He then decided to get us on a high speed 3-lane highway going over a mountain pass. After trying the first three modes, he asked me to turn around and drive a long uphill section of the highway with nice turns typical of high speed highways in mountainous areas. At that moment, he asked me to put it on Sport Plus. Holy cow! The combination of immediate throttle response, the tight steering, the firm suspension and the constant gurgles and farts from the exhaust as I pressed on the accelerator made the ride TRULY exhilarating - passing car after car was so effortless and it was like the car became a mountain goat begging to climb higher and faster.

The sound from the Harman Kardon on the X3 was overall more refined with really good mid frequencies. The bass response was also there but not as bass-y as the Bose on the Macan. There’s something to be said about cars with a good subwoofer (Bose) if you like music genres like house, rock, hip hop or latin rhythms with lots of drums and beats. For jazz vocals and classical music, which we enjoy the most, the Harman Kardon on the BMW lives up to its name, being the one most likely to give you an auditory hardon.

The Porsche Macan is a drop dead gorgeous car and I was truly wishing for a holy grail driving reward. I hope the new 2022 version of the S (previously the GTS) delivers in this regard, especially on the steering. I felt so disappointed on the soft steering and on the throttle response on normal “comfort” mode and lower speeds and no way to adjust it, unless the salesman missed to explain something.

The X3’s body styling, on the other hand, seems a little too ordinary, IMHO. This is maybe due to how many X3’s you see everywhere or maybe the fact that we own a first generation X1. For 2022, BMW apparently will further standardize the fascia/look of the X3 across the entire line, so whether you have a regular X3 or the X3M, they will sport the same look barred some small differences like the M badge. But, wow, the spirited drive I had this morning on the X3 M40i was one I will never forget.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 12-14-2021 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 07:23 AM   #38
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
About time someone besides me said how bad the ride quality is in the X3M. Especially if you have kids, I don't know how that's acceptable for ride quality in the "Comfort" setting...
Did you really expect an M vehicle to have a non-M ride? BMW has made adjustments as comfort is more tolerable now than it was at launch but it's never going to get confused as soft or comfy. The X3M is for people that are used to the ride quality of M2, M3, M5. If you are looking for a vehicle to haul around your family daily the X3M is not really a great vehicle. Akin to choosing an M3 as your family hauler. If you came from other M cars and want an SUV that feels like an M car then look no further. The problem with the X3M is too many people coming from regular X and 3 series that aren't acclimated to the ride of M cars aren't prepared for the firm ride. I find it very tolerable and wouldn't change a thing but firm riding vehicles is my preference and what I have owned over most of my adult life.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 12-14-2021 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:06 AM   #39
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Did you really expect an M vehicle to have a non-M ride? BMW has made adjustments as comfort is more tolerable now than it was at launch but it's never going to get confused as soft or comfy. The X3M is for people that are used to the ride quality of M2, M3, M5. If you are looking for a vehicle to haul around your family daily the X3M is not really a great vehicle. Akin to choosing an M3 as your family hauler. If you came from other M cars and want an SUV that feels like an M car then look no further. The problem with the X3M is too many people coming from regular X and 3 series that aren't acclimated to the ride of M cars aren't prepared for the firm ride. I find it very tolerable and wouldn't change a thing but firm riding vehicles is my preference and what I have owned over most of my adult life.
Have you driven all the models you use as examples here? I drive them all day. In fact after driving the very first E30 M3 I was amazed at the handling and how the ride was even softer than the then-current 325is. M cars don't always have to be rough-riding. In particular the available adaptive suspensions make even today's M-cars quite tolerable for long trips. BMW even admitted back in the '80s that they used stiff Bilstein on the E30 325is on purpose because people wouldn't consider it a "sport" unless it had a rough ride. Then they used Boge on the M3 to show you could have great handling without beating you up. To many, the stock E30 M3 was too soft and they swapped out the stock suspension, but didn't improve the handling. Ask a knowledgeable E30 M3 owner which works better and the answer might surprise you! Stiffness for the sake of stiffness has nothing to do with performance. Just ask Alpina.

But when I delivered a new X3 M Competition to a customer 100-miles away, I felt the ride was simply unacceptable and could certainly have been offered in an alternative that would not have compromised the handling—at least up to the point where an SUV is still an SUV. If the ride quality is so inferior to an M sedan or coupe just to compensate for higher center-of-gravity and suspension travel required to be an SUV, then just get a track car for that experience and an SUV you can use the way an SUV is intended. I can't imagine driving one of the X3 M Competitions for daily use. I also can't imagine a situation where anyone who can afford an $80,000 SUV can't be happy with a $60,000 SUV and a $20,000 track car to scratch that itch. I can't turn an M2 into an SUV and no one should try to turn an SUV into an M2. Just my opinion but I scratch my head in wonderment as to what the point of the X3 M is.

When I wrote the first Roundel article on the first X6, my title was "The Answer to a Question No One asked". If BMW has the capacity to produce niche vehicles like the X3 M Competition, you'd think they could also provide an M340 or M240i with a stick, or even a 2-series convertible. But instead they spend their engineering expertise creating a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

Of course if anyone wants one, of the six new cars we have in stock we can offer an X3 M Competition, an X6 M50, and an M850i Gran Coupe. Whatever blows your skirt up!

Last edited by BMWCCA1; 12-14-2021 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
      12-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #40
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I drove a Macan as it was under consideration and M40i. The Macan GTS rode better for sure and I would have bought one if they were more reasonably priced but once you option it up nicely it no longer makes sense. It's more challenging to provide sporty handling on a vehicle with higher ground clearance and really only Porsche has been able to balance that. If you have driven so many vehicles you would know the Model Y rides worse than the Model 3 for this reason. I would never recommend an X3M to someone that simply wanted a fast SUV as the M40i is probably the best all around fast SUV when you consider price vs performance. Plenty of X3M owners are perfectly fine with the ride as it's what we were looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #41
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
This is the mindset of a lot of M owners, but I like to mention a Macan Turbo costs more than a X3M yet rides so much better. So yes, you should be able to have an M and find comfort, BMW just didn't tune the suspension correctly.

Also, this is akin to Ducati owners where they said if your ass isn't on fire, then you're not really on a Ducati. lol. Why would I want 3rd degree burns from my exhaust/engine (I've seen it) just to say I own a Ducati?

Btw, my M2 CS rides better than the X3M in stock form, the X3M should have found a compromise between handling and rattling your teeth out.

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #42
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The Macan has gotten ridiculously expensive with this second refresh for the 2022 model year. My father's 2019 S, from the first refresh, came in nearly-loaded at $75k MSRP. Now a similarly equipped S comes out above $80k. 25 extra hp now, who cares.
6.6% increase. A bit much but understandable given the supply chain disruptions. Whether the original $75K is reasonable is another question.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #43
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
This thread should really specify 2021 or prior Macan S versus 2022 and beyond. 2022+ cars are getting a second facelift, most notable changes are interior updates to hepatic panels vs buttons but importantly the S gets the engine from 2021 or prior GTS. The 2022+ GTS is getting the Turbo engine.

So before 2022 X3 M40 versus Macan S was the direct comp, but now the Macan S is somewhere between the X3M40 and X3M... to oversimplify the discussion if the X3M ride is too harsh for you the Macan S will likely be your sweet spot. Assuming of course that the smaller interior volume suits your needs, and it is noticeably smaller.

I planned to order an X3M40 but cannot get a number of "must have" options right now, so going to the 2022 Macan S.
I don't consider haptic controls an "update". Give me buttons/switches/dials over haptic panels any time. That would be an update.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #44
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
6.6% increase. A bit much but understandable given the supply chain disruptions. Whether the original $75K is reasonable is another question.
$75k for the 2019 model was already pushing it. But it's loaded w/ miami blue paint, sport classic wheels, etc. Only things missing are extended leather to the dash and sport exhaust.

I understand what you are saying and Porsche's market research has clearly shown that people are willing to pay more, but personally to me over $80k for a relatively common compact CUV is overkill.
Appreciate 0