BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

09-04-2022, 12:32 AM   #45
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
This is an extremely odd comparison because you would never cross shop a Macan to a M4. You generally get one or both if you have the funds.

Macan in general, you should just view it as a hatchback with heels because that is what it is basically. You don't get that much room in the car, cargo space is lacking and rear seating is also lacking space. A SUV like the RAV4 will easily give you way more room compared to the Macan. That has always been one of the biggest drawbacks of the car, it is small. The other? Well the Macan is heavy for its size. You think it will weight closer to that of an X3 but nope, it is easily 4k lbs over and you absolutely feel the weight even with the incredible Porsche PASM (air suspension). Engine can overcome the weight but it will feel over boasted unless it is the V6, it doesn't feel natural to me when it has the Inline 4. It is also, kinda slow... compared to the X3M/X4M it is slow. The V6 is also gas hungry when you are in Sport mode.

The upside to the Macan GTS is simple. It is probably the best handling "SUV" in the market without any doubt. Macan GTS comes with Porsche's Air Suspension as standard and the suspension is sublime, as Porsche seem to always do that right. Air Suspension makes the car just incredible, it gives you good response but comfort as well. Unlike the X3M/X4M where it is just badly rebounded and far too stiff for a SUV. You get good feedback from the steering and chassis unlike most BMW cars now a days. Of course the PDK in the car is very good as with most Porsche dual clutches happens to be. Yes the PDK in the Macan is technically an revised Audi DSG but most won't be able to tell. I have not found another "SUV" in the market that has given the type of driving experience you would expect from a SUV. Macan GTS is pretty much the example of why Porsche tends to get the praise it does. It is expensive yes, but there is a reason for that price. A Macan GTS will change your view on how you view SUVs.

The Macan will fit just about most everyone's house for most purposes. If they need something bigger or larger, they will probably already have one in the house for that.

BMW's M is and always will be a M car. Regardless of the noise currently happening with the G chassis M cars, they are still excellent performers. But you don't look at a M3 and then go get a Macan instead, that doesn't really happen that way. You get both, not one or the other. I have had a F82 M4 and a F80 M3 all the while having a Macan S then GTS (and a Prius...). I still prefer the handling of my Macan GTS over my previous (2015) M4 and (2018) Individual M3 Comp.
      02-11-2023, 12:13 AM   #46
albinovulcan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan GTS

I've had a 2021 Macan GTS for over two years now and while it's a wonderful vehicle, I'm bored of it and tired of its appetite for tires; 3 sets now in 35K miles. Will be trading it in on an M3Cx I received an allocation for recently (currently being built).

I wanted something faster, with better handling, but still practical, from a storage perspective.

I test-drove a few G80 M3s and wasn't really impressed with the steering feel or transmission, compared to the Macan's, but I did like the M3's power, balance, and turn-in much better. It's a somewhat lighter and much lower vehicle, after all!

I hope I don't regret my change; if so, the electric Macans are right around the corner, with a rumored 600+ HP power plant.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:37 AM   #47
GTS Daddy
#Driver
Rep
Drives: '23 G80x

Both the above posters own/drive a '21 Macan GTS. Not sure if they have experienced the '22 and newer Macan GTS at the limit, but its a COMPLETELY separate experience for the '21. Not even the same league. The SPECIAL SAUCE Porsche threw at the swan song top of line ICE Macan is unreal! You will know once you get inside and push it, it really is more 911 than any other SUV period. Think Cayenne Turbo vs Turbo GT Coupe'. Not really the same car.

My buddy Arcades says that nobody cross-shops a Macan GTS vs M3. I am not a contrarian, but that statement is incorrect. Perhaps you have the means to afford both, but from my experience managing a Porsche store, we hear that comparison more often than you would think, especially here in CO.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 10:59 AM   #48
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
This is an extremely odd comparison because you would never cross shop a Macan to a M4. You generally get one or both if you have the funds.

Macan in general, you should just view it as a hatchback with heels because that is what it is basically. You don't get that much room in the car, cargo space is lacking and rear seating is also lacking space. A SUV like the RAV4 will easily give you way more room compared to the Macan. That has always been one of the biggest drawbacks of the car, it is small. The other? Well the Macan is heavy for its size. You think it will weight closer to that of an X3 but nope, it is easily 4k lbs over and you absolutely feel the weight even with the incredible Porsche PASM (air suspension). Engine can overcome the weight but it will feel over boasted unless it is the V6, it doesn't feel natural to me when it has the Inline 4. It is also, kinda slow... compared to the X3M/X4M it is slow. The V6 is also gas hungry when you are in Sport mode.

The upside to the Macan GTS is simple. It is probably the best handling "SUV" in the market without any doubt. Macan GTS comes with Porsche's Air Suspension as standard and the suspension is sublime, as Porsche seem to always do that right. Air Suspension makes the car just incredible, it gives you good response but comfort as well. Unlike the X3M/X4M where it is just badly rebounded and far too stiff for a SUV. You get good feedback from the steering and chassis unlike most BMW cars now a days. Of course the PDK in the car is very good as with most Porsche dual clutches happens to be. Yes the PDK in the Macan is technically an revised Audi DSG but most won't be able to tell. I have not found another "SUV" in the market that has given the type of driving experience you would expect from a SUV. Macan GTS is pretty much the example of why Porsche tends to get the praise it does. It is expensive yes, but there is a reason for that price. A Macan GTS will change your view on how you view SUVs.

The Macan will fit just about most everyone's house for most purposes. If they need something bigger or larger, they will probably already have one in the house for that.

BMW's M is and always will be a M car. Regardless of the noise currently happening with the G chassis M cars, they are still excellent performers. But you don't look at a M3 and then go get a Macan instead, that doesn't really happen that way. You get both, not one or the other. I have had a F82 M4 and a F80 M3 all the while having a Macan S then GTS (and a Prius...). I still prefer the handling of my Macan GTS over my previous (2015) M4 and (2018) Individual M3 Comp.
It's an egg on wheels, aka a minivan.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 11:02 AM   #49
Bill76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Xdrive

I have both 2023 M3 Xdrive and 2023 Macan GTS, great cars both with highs and cons

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 11:14 AM   #50
Bill76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
It's an egg on wheels, aka a minivan.
So wrong, It has far better suspension than the M3, you will be surprised how this egg turns, and please do not talk about steering feeling and reaction, so much to learn from BMW.

Resume:

Quality: Porsche over BMW, however in the M3 is really good
Ride/Suspension: Porsche (no doubt)
Transmission: PDK (but not good in comfort mode, change gears at very low rpms, far better tunning in the BMW)
Engine: BMW (torque/power, etc). Audi engine has better sound but cannot compete with the S58 BMW engine.
Space: M3 in rear seats.

I love cars more than eggs 🤣 but this is the only one that drives like a hot hatch or sport car with its limitations, I took the previous Macan to the tail of the dragon with the family…incredible handling for an Egg 😜

Last edited by Bill76; 02-11-2023 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
GTS Daddy372.50