BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

09-19-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
g80z
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: honda civicghini

Garage List
Frozen Paint worth extra care if no PPF wrap?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of deciding what spec to finalize for my 23 M3xc. I was wondering if anyone has anything to share on how much effort goes into maintaining, daily driving, and owning a non pffed frozen painted car. I have skyscraper grey currently picked but I really want to go w FPB or the new frozen pure grey. I know I could alway frozen ppf the car but don't want to spend upwards of 8k doing so. I wanted to hear from any owners if it is a true hassle, or not, to own a frozen painted car without ppf.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
mileta8
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by g80z View Post
Hi all,

I'm in the process of deciding what spec to finalize for my 23 M3xc. I was wondering if anyone has anything to share on how much effort goes into maintaining, daily driving, and owning a non pffed frozen painted car. I have skyscraper grey currently picked but I really want to go w FPB or the new frozen pure grey. I know I could alway frozen ppf the car but don't want to spend upwards of 8k doing so. I wanted to hear from any owners if it is a true hassle, or not, to own a frozen painted car without ppf.

Thanks!
I have the frozen black m4. The car looks better than any other color. Unique, special and very atractive. Dirty car doesn't look dirty Like it is, but when you clean it you can see how carefull you should be to not damage the satin finish.
Im going for Full PPF Because damage on the road will be for sure and good repair will be difficult and for sure cost a lot.
I have matte grey rs6 without PPF and today i have a lot of damage from stones. On black color that will be awfull and worse.

If you go for frozen color in my opinion PPF is neccesary!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 10:02 PM   #3
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I've been daily driving my Frozen White G80 for about 17 months, 14k miles, sits outside all the time, sees all sorts of weather, no PPF. I coated the car with a proper matte ceramic when new (Dr Beasleys). While ceramic does not protect against rock chips, it has prevented stains and has kept the frozen finish looking great. Maintenance and upkeep is no different from gloss, this is a misconception. You need a matte soap, don't polish, and that's it.

I drive the piss out of my car, a few small rock chips, but I started enjoying the car and life a lot more once I came to terms with superficial damage like paint chips.

I'm not a fan of PPF. I truly believe it's gimmicky and it ties you into something that you'll be up keeping/replacing down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 11:33 AM   #4
g80z
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: honda civicghini

Garage List
I appreciate the response! Are the chips noticeable? I had a buddy tell me rock chips on satin black turn out white and on white turnout black but idk haha
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g80z View Post
I appreciate the response! Are the chips noticeable? I had a buddy tell me rock chips on satin black turn out white and on white turnout black but idk haha
Haha that sounds about right. They were noticeable to me at first, but once I hit them with some touch up paint (using a tooth pick), they're very hard to spot. Anyone else would likely struggle to spot them.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:35 PM   #6
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

once you have PPF you always want it again. It really protects the from from on coming rock chips big time. Our frozen white has front hood, fenders and bumper down. Love it but had how the edges at times can show more dirt, but worth it imho.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 11:57 PM   #7
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
PPF makes driving alot less stressful for those who want to keep the car looking new. No way I would spend this much on a car and not have full PPF. Also saying that matte paint maintenance is no different from gloss is just wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 07:54 AM   #8
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
I have a G82 in FDG.
The paint is very easy to maintain, just apply common sense instead of waxing and polishing.
Recently ceramic coated it, initially I was concerned I'd alter the satin finish but it's the same as before although I feel with a slightly deeper tone (that I like)
The only concern I've ever had is if the car gets scratched and requires paint. If this happens I'll 100% sell it and move on, I can just tell it'll never be a repair that'll work unless it's a complete respray of the car. Even then I doubt the factory finish could be achieved as it's so even and flat and that imo is what makes frozen paints so special. I would never consider ppf, and as someone else pointed out once you get the first little marks on it you embrace it and start to really enjoy the car.
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #9
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
PPF makes driving alot less stressful for those who want to keep the car looking new. No way I would spend this much on a car and not have full PPF. Also saying that matte paint maintenance is no different from gloss is just wrong.
It's actually a correct statement.

This is assuming that someone who owns a frozen car, utilized proper wash techniques on a gloss car (pressure washing, multiple buckets, foaming, quality products, etc.), and for frozen, you're just swapping out gloss enhancing soaps for matte soap, also being careful to not "rub" the paint. I have been using Dr Beasleys for some time now. The best you can get.

As I stated above, that's about as deep as the maintenance goes on frozen, as paint correction is out the window.

I've had my frozen white G80 since April 2021, 14k miles, daily driver, sits outside most of the time; and with the quality products I've been using, the paint still looks new.
Appreciate 2