BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

07-28-2022, 05:53 AM   #1
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Leather Cleaner/Protectant on Fiona Red

I apologize if this topic needs to be moved….I had it in the Washing/Detailing section, but it hadn't received any feedback over there. I thought more eyes would see it here….

I was going to try the Gyeon leather cleaner followed by the Gyeon leather ceramic coating. I have Fiona Red leather and I'm paranoid of two things:

1) The Gyeon cleaner and/or the coating potentially taking off any of the red dye. There are two options for the cleaner….medium and strong. I'd opt for the strong, but I don't want to see red coming off on the rag while I'm applying because it's stripping dye.

2) I love the buttery feel (and smell) of the Merino leather. In no way do I want to compromise that with the cleaner or ceramic coating.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of my concerns…..specifically with the Gyeon products?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
shawndean22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 (on order)

I use colourlock no dye transfer and keeps it soft.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

It will not take off the dye, relax. Colourlock/Carpro/Sonax are all solid to use. If you keep your interior clean I don’t see the need to use a heavier cleaner as long as you do routine maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #4
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
Here's my regimen:

(all are validated on my Fiona red. No loss of dye

Aero cosmetics leather soap

Leather master vital (conditioner)

Leather master protection cream (stains and dirt)

Colourlock leather protector (uv, I have a vert.)

I bought gyeon ceramic, but still scared to use it. It overtly says do not use on semi aniline. There's some debate, but most agree we have semi aniline leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #5
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
It will not take off the dye, relax. Colourlock/Carpro/Sonax are all solid to use. If you keep your interior clean I don't see the need to use a heavier cleaner as long as you do routine maintenance.
No worries….I'm relaxed lol. And yes, I take care of my leather. However, my center armrest is already showing just a tiny bit of discoloration where my elbow always sits (and yes, I'm clean and I shower). Im 100% certain it would "clean" up if I use something on it….and then it would stay that way if it's protected. But it's those high contact areas that I was looking to treat. Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #6
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
No worries….I'm relaxed lol. And yes, I take care of my leather. However, my center armrest is already showing just a tiny bit of discoloration where my elbow always sits (and yes, I'm clean and I shower). Im 100% certain it would "clean" up if I use something on it….and then it would stay that way if it's protected. But it's those high contact areas that I was looking to treat. Make sense?
Get a proper cleaning done and then ceramic for ease of mind. Very light cleaning will be needed after that and will keep those high touch points safe. G8x interior quality seems to be much better than previous gen.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 04:50 PM   #7
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Merino leather is very high quality and not coated like cheaper leathers. Keeping it conditioned--after wiping down with a damp cloth, is all you need to do. I would avoid cleaners unless it was really dirty. If you do clean high quality leather, it absolutely has to be conditioned right after.

On top of BMW’s premium real leather chart is Merino leather. Merino leather is made from the finest cowhide. It’s not dyed with artificial coatings or colors. Merino leather is for BMW’s higher-end M models and an upgrade option for their 7 series.
Appreciate 3
      08-03-2022, 03:58 PM   #8
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

My M4 has Silverstone. I applied CarPro ceramic leather coating upon taking delivery, then regularly clean with ColourLock mild cleaner whenever I detect dye transfer (from dark denim). No issues so far ..
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
MBoriPerf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q5

Colourlock Top Life or Carpro CQuartz Leather 2.0

IMO best leather coatings on the market, easy to use, excellent results
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #10
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Dr Leather, a scrubbing pad and MF towel, job done.

Do the seats regularly so you don’t have to go too hard for too long and you’ll be fine.
The Nerd427.50
      08-25-2022, 09:47 PM   #11
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
It will not take off the dye, relax. Colourlock/Carpro/Sonax are all solid to use. If you keep your interior clean I don't see the need to use a heavier cleaner as long as you do routine maintenance.

Use the gentle cleaner. The seats are still relatively new, and all that stuff will come off easy. Also, after you coat it you won't need the stronger cleaner anyway so it would be a waste.

Used the gentle cleaner and the ceramic sealant on my silverstone first week with the car. Seats are perfect three months in and we take our dog everywhere. O change in scent or feel.

I also did the spray sealant on the steering wheel and gear shit lever to help protect it from wear. I did not ceramic the wheel leather for fear of it being slippery. The spray sealant Is perfect there.
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 1
The Nerd427.50