E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Automatic Light control sensitivity

07-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Automatic Light control sensitivity

I have automatic light control in my car (in conjunction with the rain sensor). I am finding that it is VERY sensitive, and turns on at about 3 O'clock in the afternoon, when it's still very bright out. Today I decided I want to get it fixed!

First I called the dealership that was nearest to where I was - they told me they need to take the car for a whole day to set it, and they couldn't give me a loaner.

Second I called the dealership closest to my home, they told me - sure no problem they can do it - they are just programming 7's and I can bring it in 2 hours time and they fix it.

Not wanting to wait two hours time, I called another dealership. This dealership told me that the automatic lights function cannot be adjusted, and if I am finding them too sensitive - I must put my lights in the off position.

Unhappy with this answer, I decided to call my aftersales manager. He told me that the automatic lights function sensitivity is controlled by the same "toggle" as the rain sensor sensitivity. Is this correct? Or was he just bulshitting so that I walk away a "happy" customer?

I am still going to take my car into the 3rd dealer later today, I just want some oppinion before I do :-) (or after)

Ps. I'll report back just when I get a working solution

EDIT -> Called BMW South Africa also, to try and get a "official" answer - they are getting back to me!

Last edited by Broken1; 07-22-2005 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Ok. Well no one answered me, and I'm very confused.

BMW South Africa phoned me back and said that the setting cannot be adjusted. BMW Bryanston (JSN) hooked my car up to their DIS machine (and me up to their coffee machine) and apparently adjusted it to the "least sensitive level" - I couldn't "test" it because it was dark outside when I left. The dealer I bought from's suggestion that it is linked to the rain sensor sensitivity control is rubbish. :/ I tried it and it does zip.

Who is correct? At least the one dealer said the same thing as BMW customer care! Who knows....(maybe E90FLEET?)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
MythMaker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i Red M6,Nav+L7

I know in the iDrive there is a setting for sensitivity.

Sensitive
Normal
Slow

But the change between the three settings is very minor. I have mine on sensitive now and it doesn't come on until it is pretty dark out... darker then I normally would of switched them on manually.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Yes, confirmed. I can change my settings through idrive so I imagine the settings can be changed by the dealer for cars without idrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Well mine is now on the least sensitive setting, the techie who changed it said it was on one below "normal" so...we'll see how it goes tomorrow. My lights were turning on at 1 in the afternoon!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

HA HA HA HA

Dot you just love dealers ?

Yes it can be adjusted

Yes people have been fighting their dealers to adjust them eversince the sensors came out.

Most dealers are just clueless when it comes to changing settings on the car, thats one reason i like Idrive, then I can do it myself
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Broken1 just check that the glass isnt to dirty above your rain/light sensor since the dirtier it gets the darker the car thinks it is
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Well the car was clean today(sparkling, and it's black!) and at 2.30 today the lights turned on. JSN motors managed to adjust it, spoke to the workshop manager. I find it strange though that BMW South Africa customer care, after calling me back because he had to check with his technical department called and told me I couldn't do it...when it was being done.

I said to the guy, that's rubbish. I'm watching the technition changing the setting on the DIS machine now. Oh he says, he doesn't know how they are doing it! odd.

The only thing I am a tad bummed about, is that the guy couldn't get the CIP computer(??) to get an audible locking confirmation. He says some cars can do it, but he can't get it to work on mine. I'm not even going to attempt to ask them to do a software update :-/
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Audible locking confirmation is for USA cars only, its supposed to be locked out of the other countries setup
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
Broken1
Addict
Rep

beh. Stupid :/ Not really a problem though, as you do hear the "clunk" of the doors. Audible just saves me the "oh sh1t did i lock my car, walk back and check" kind of thing...

I had my car cleaned at Jackson's Car Wash today...they were really trying hard to make me happy...really trying. I can't go back to my regular car wash because I'm quite young and they get a little too chummy for my liking. Ie - my first E90 wash...2 guys jumped in and started trying to mess with my radio. :-/ rude. I've now washed my car 3 times. Black is really difficult to keep clean, and I'm obsessive about it. My poor girlfriend, all she hears about it me washing my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

hey broken1,

I hope you get your auto lights sensitivity fixed soon

sympathise with you about needing to get your car washed. All I can talk about with my wife are the upcoming benefits and features of my new car. It's the car, car, car!!!

The waiting is hard, but checking up on e90 post has been a big help.
On this day next week, early in the morning. Hope it will be a nice day weather wise.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #12
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Well, I think it's better now. Was driving home 3ish pm and they stayed off Das good! I think I should phone the guy from BMW and tell him they fixed it, even though he told me it couldn't be fixed!
Appreciate 0