BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #1
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Just traded my C8 for an M4Comp. Xdrive

Since these two models are cross shopped and to a certain extent competitors I thought I'd provide my take on what advantages one has over the other - I owned my 2LT Z51 C8 for 1yr and 2 days. My M4 is being finished this week so I haven't driven one yet, but I did get to sit in and startup an M3 when I dropped off my C8 trade at my BMW Dealer, so granted my exposure is limited on the M4 as of this moment, but I have had two new X5's in the past 2 yrs for what that's worth:

Advantages of the C8 over the M4:
- Exterior Styling (Subjective yes, but I think objectively the C8 wins here)
- DCT
- Removable transparent roof
- Easy available dealer network
- Engine Sound

Advantages of the M4 over the C8:
- Interior Styling
- Solid Transmission
- Power
- XDrive
- Stereo System
- Interior Storage
- CF Inside & Out
- Wheel Style (Yes subjective)
- Rear seating
- Seat style/comfort
- Steering Wheel thickness and quality
- Drive Record
- M1 & M2 Buttons
- Tuning Potential
- Power Trunk
- 360 Camera
- Drive Assist
- Uniqueness
- Materials quality
- Gauges
- IDrive 7
- HVAC Controls
- Radio Preset buttons
- Adaptive Cruise
- Exhaust Tips
- Better overall tech (Kind of a big thing)
- Availability
- Gas mileage

I'll leave driving impressions out of this since I've not yet driven the G82... When I get mine I may add that since I know you're ALL so interested in my opinions

Last edited by Garycoral; 10-21-2021 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 4
Gfit2708.50
Tyga113232.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      10-20-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Interesting. Bet you sold the C8 for more than you paid.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I actually am interested in your opinion about the driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
It was smart to let go for the hot stingray just less than a week before the C8 z06 debut.

Once that debuts, i think the high markups for stingrays will drop tremendously. You did a smart thing.

The real beast of the C8 debuts next tuesday.
Appreciate 2
MannyS357.00
      10-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
It was smart to let go for the hot stingray just less than a week before the C8 z06 debut.

Once that debuts, i think the high markups for stingrays will drop tremendously. You did a smart thing.

"Gotta know when to fold 'em!"
Appreciate 1
MannyS357.00
      10-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Having driven the C8 over a 2 days Turo rental, I can make some comparisons to my M3X as well, as well as to my 2016 M4 which I replaced.

C8 pros:
-Exterior styling, I'm getting some crazy attention from both cars, but I personally like the exterior styling for the C8 more. I've always been a fan of the corvettes in general and loved the designs. I can't wait to see how the Z06 will look like.
-DCT, a HUGE improvement over the C7 automatic which was terrible and slow and often hit the redline limiter before it registered the paddle shift. I'm always a fan of DCT's and I feel like it was more involving than the ZF8 on the M3 too.
-Grip, insane grip for a RWD car, I attribute this to the mid-engine setup.
-Rear engine RWD setup, this feels more like a true race car experience.
-Engine sound - the V8 is def a plus, I can't wait to hear the Z06 flat plane crank. Although both the C8 and the M3X are a bit tamed compared to some of the other beasts.

M3X pros:
-Xdrive - this is an absolute game changer. Huuuge improvement over the M4 lack of control and grip. Xdrive is a must to accommodate anything over 500hp with a front engine IMO, and allows for more headroom for tuning later on. My tuned M4, even with upgraded PS4S tires, were sliding around everywhere, I knew from then on that my next M3/M4 would be AWD if given the choice. The xdrive is well done, using MDM I don't feel like I'm losing the fun factor that the RWD system has. Even if you want to go RWD with the xDrive there's an option to do that, with a 0-10 stage traction control. There's really no losing anything with the xDrive and I can't stress more that it's literally a win-win. I understand that there is some hardcore purists out there, but that's where the manual/RWD option comes in too.
-Technology and infotainment system, the main screen on the M3X is higher resolution and nicer than the C8, the customizable dials and gauges are very well done as well. Additionally, the Apple Carplay is wireless on the M3X and I think it was only via USB on the C8 (not sure though).
-Interior styling, even though the C8 is a huge improvement over the C7, the M3X interior is multiple levels above even the C8 IMO. Everything inside feels high quality and well done. I opted for the carbon fiber interior and absolutely love it.
-Bucket seats, this is a tremendous seat and not only holds you in place but extremely well fitting and comfortable even over long distances. Getting in and out isn't an issue for me either. I feel like it's still easier than getting in and out of the C8.
-Practicality - a sports sedan vs a 2 seat dedicated race car. 5 seats, 4 doors, good sized usable trunk, different driving modes accomodating passengers including children/babies. A usable family sedan that is incredibly fun as well, this car honestly hits the "sports sedan" perfectly. I really don't think there's another sports sedan as fun and as practical at the same time. This goes with almost every philosophy of the M3 design, including the switch from DCT to ZF8 which shifts more smoothly with less jerkiness which my passengers complained about a lot from my F82 M4 DCT.

In the end, the M3X will be the best DD and everyone's waiting on the Z06 (with a wait list of >2 years now) for their weekend track car. I'm really excited for the Z06, since that will literally tick every fancy for my weekend track car.

Last edited by Solarium; 10-23-2021 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-20-2021, 08:28 PM   #7
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
Having driven the C8 over a 2 days Turo rental, I can make some comparisons to my M3X as well.

C8 pros:
-Exterior styling, I'm getting some crazy attention from both cars, but I personally like the exterior styling for the C8 more. I've always been a fan of the corvettes in general and loved the designs. I can't wait to see how the Z06 will look like.
-DCT, a HUGE improvement over the C7 automatic which was terrible and slow and often hit the redline limiter before it registered the paddle shift. I'm always a fan of DCT's and I feel like it was more involving than the ZF8 on the M3 too.
-Grip, insane grip for a RWD car, I attribute this to the mid-engine setup.
-Rear engine RWD setup, this feels more like a true race car experience.
-Engine sound - the V8 is def a plus, I can't wait to hear the Z06 flat plane crank. Although both the C8 and the M3X are a bit tamed compared to some of the other beasts.

M3X pros:
-Xdrive - this is an absolute game changer. Huuuge improvement over the M4 lack of control and grip. Xdrive is a must to accommodate anything over 500hp with a front engine IMO, and allows for more headroom for tuning later on. My tuned M4, even with upgraded PS4S tires, were sliding around everywhere, I knew from then on that my next M3/M4 would be AWD if given the choice. The xdrive is well done, using MDM I don't feel like I'm losing the fun factor that the RWD system has. Even if you want to go RWD with the xDrive there's an option to do that, with a 0-10 stage traction control. There's really no losing anything with the xDrive and I can't stress more that it's literally a win-win. I understand that there is some hardcore purists out there, but that's where the manual/RWD option comes in too.
-Technology and infotainment system, the main screen on the M3X is higher resolution and nicer than the C8, the customizable dials and gauges are very well done as well. Additionally, the Apple Carplay is wireless on the M3X and I think it was only via USB on the C8 (not sure though).
-Interior styling, even though the C8 is a huge improvement over the C7, the M3X interior is multiple levels above even the C8 IMO. Everything inside feels high quality and well done. I opted for the carbon fiber interior and absolutely love it.
-Bucket seats, this is a tremendous seat and not only holds you in place but extremely well fitting and comfortable even over long distances. Getting in and out isn't an issue for me either. I feel like it's still easier than getting in and out of the C8.
-Practicality - a sports sedan vs a 2 seat dedicated race car. 5 seats, 4 doors, good sized usable trunk, different driving modes accomodating passengers including children/babies. A usable family sedan that is incredibly fun as well, this car honestly hits the "sports sedan" perfectly. I really don't think there's another sports sedan as fun and as practical at the same time. This goes with almost every philosophy of the M3 design, including the switch from DCT to ZF8 which shifts more smoothly with less jerkiness which my passengers complained about a lot from my F82 M4 DCT.

In the end, the M3X will be the best DD and everyone's waiting on the Z06 (with a wait list of >2 years now) for their weekend track car. I'm really excited for the Z06, since that will literally tick every fancy for my weekend track car.
Maybe your 2016, sure. Not a chance in hell over a G8x.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #8
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post

How are you guys planning to get c8 z06. I spoke to a buddy at a dealer already and he said the first two is going into owners brother and friends lol. Will we be waiting till 2023 to be able to secure an allocation?

I do genuinely want to get in on a waiting list.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:57 PM   #9
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
How are you guys planning to get c8 z06. I spoke to a buddy at a dealer already and he said the first two is going into owners brother and friends lol. Will we be waiting till 2023 to be able to secure an allocation?

You'll be waiting awhile. Unless you're willing to spend $50K over sticker
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:31 AM   #10
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post

I'm in the mid 100's on macmulkin's waiting list. I got on pretty much immediately after the stingray debuted back in 2019 lol. I was actually surprised i was that far up the list when i got on.

If Mac gets about 200 z06's per MY, i'm in line to receive the first MY. And i'm not getting off the list. Doesn't matter the price or power output.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I've owned 5 or 6 Corvettes, the last was a C7. You really cannot beat it, bang for the buck.

The downside is that it's still a Chevy.

I never considered the C8 because of the transmission. And for me, personally, I don't think it's attractive.

I did follow one around VIR once, and it is fast.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #12
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I thought the C8 interior looked pretty decent when I checked one out (didn't get to drive it) but maybe it loses luster after time behind the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I've owned 5 or 6 Corvettes, the last was a C7. You really cannot beat it, bang for the buck.

The downside is that it's still a Chevy.

I never considered the C8 because of the transmission. And for me, personally, I don't think it's attractive.

I did follow one around VIR once, and it is fast.
I'm with you on the looks. I get looks are subjective, which is why I don't fault people for not liking the G80 (which I think is a great looking car).

The C8 does absolutely nothing for me. I do not think its a good looking car, at all.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #14
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
I'm with you on the looks. I get looks are subjective, which is why I don't fault people for not liking the G80 (which I think is a great looking car).

The C8 does absolutely nothing for me. I do not think its a good looking car, at all.
I agree with you.
At first the ME C8 looked fresh and interesting. WIDE stance gave it tons of road presence.
But then it got old quickly. The massive rear overhang, tacky trim on the side vents make it look cheap IMO.
Of course I scratched it off my list the moment I heard no manuals are being offered.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #15
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I'm on the fence about the looks. Seems like the front and back were designed by two different teams and slapped together. It looks good from certain angles and not so much from others.
Appreciate 1
'Cane8481.50
      10-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #16
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I am also in the camp of thinking the C8 looks a awkward. From some angles it is interesting when lowered with decent wheels, but overall I prefer the looks of the C7. I grew up in a Corvette house and have been interested in picking up a C7 Z06. Just never got around to driving one.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #17
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
I agree with you.
At first the ME C8 looked fresh and interesting. WIDE stance gave it tons of road presence.
But then it got old quickly. The massive rear overhang, tacky trim on the side vents make it look cheap IMO.
Of course I scratched it off my list the moment I heard no manuals are being offered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
I'm on the fence about the looks. Seems like the front and back were designed by two different teams and slapped together. It looks good from certain angles and not so much from others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
I am also in the camp of thinking the C8 looks a awkward. From some angles it is interesting when lowered with decent wheels, but overall I prefer the looks of the C7. I grew up in a Corvette house and have been interested in picking up a C7 Z06. Just never got around to driving one.
This. The side profile of the car irks me. It feels like there's a weird rake to it and the front end seems too short for the car, while the rear end looks overly long - I'm assuming this is due to the ME, but it doesn't flow. I also don't like the side vent/trim piece; it looks stuck on and an after thought. Most also come with this rather large spoiler/wing, which I think just doesn't fit the car. When I first saw it, I thought it resembled a Mclaren. Definitely do not feel that way anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #18
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

[QUOTE=Garycoral;28165042]
Advantages of the C8 over the M4:
- Exterior Styling (Subjective yes, but I think objectively the C8 wins here)

Congrats on your purchase, as a point of clarification that often comes up since the new grilles were unleashed upon us, there is no such thing as objectively winning an exterior styling competition. If 1 million people hate the Pontiac Aztec and 5 people love it, the majority of people prefer it for sure. However, it is still a subjective preference. Objective by definition means not influences by a person's personal views.

With that being said, I love both cars lol and if the C8 had a manual I would've gotten one as a weekend car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #19
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Interesting. Bet you sold the C8 for more than you paid.
Paid $80K got $93 for the trade w/8700 miles... I thought that was plenty fair considering I also got $5000 off MSRP on the M4.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #20
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

Where did you sell your vette if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently trying to see if I can sell my 21' RS5 SB for enough to cover the payoff and get an M3, but so far i've been offered pretty meh offers from Carvana and Carmax. I don't think they're quite appraising these vehicles right. I've gotten a pretty good trade in offer at one place which w/ the trade in would give me just about pay off, but they didn't have the car I want. I'm trying to see if maybe private party somewhere would be the way to go.

Also $5000 off MSRP? That's pretty surprising! From what I understanding getting MSRP is a good deal these days.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #21
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competiton, 2021 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycoral View Post
Paid $80K got $93 for the trade w/8700 miles... I thought that was plenty fair considering I also got $5000 off MSRP on the M4.
Was the $5K off sticker including all incentives and/or was there wiggle room off the MSRP straight up?

Best I could do is MSRP, and I have a relationship with my dealership over the years. First time I'm ever paying sticker before incentives.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #22
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackid View Post
Was the $5K off sticker including all incentives and/or was there wiggle room off the MSRP straight up?

Best I could do is MSRP, and I have a relationship with my dealership over the years. First time I'm ever paying sticker before incentives.
Ahhhh... I'm not sure how he got to the $5K off (Technically $4810) - I'm netting a check for $5833 from the deal - Obviously no finance spiff or anything like that... And the best part was this required ZERO negotiation - This was his "1st Pencil" as they say in the car biz.
Appreciate 1