BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #67
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I had the most delightful drive to pick up my son from nursery school. I did not exceed 40 miles per hour. It was very engaging. That same drive would have been joyless in an Auto.

Conversely, on the way to Brooklyn this morning, my left calf muscle nearly failed after pumping my clutch for 40 minutes.

Speed means nothing to me compared to engagement and control. Also, chicks dig the manual.
I have those same moments when i'm in my C7Z which is a manual.

The only difference is, i don't get tired of clutching in and out because my calf is failing. I get tired of clutching in and out because the shit is annoying lol. And corvette clutches (or GM in general) have some of the lightest clutches in the game.

I don't want engagement of the car when it brings annoyance and eliminates enjoyment. That is what makes manual driving, to me, and by me, pointless.

Enjoyment to me is when i can actually ENJOY the car.

Honestly, girls don't care for the manual. I think they like your car because it's an M3.

None of my previous gf's ever liked my manual cars. And i had a shit ton. All they wanted to ride in was comfortable cars with working AC and heat. They do not give a shit about speed or looks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 05:09 AM   #68
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:
I had the most delightful drive to pick up my son from nursery school. I did not exceed 40 miles per hour. It was very engaging. That same drive would have been joyless in an Auto.

Conversely, on the way to Brooklyn this morning, my left calf muscle nearly failed after pumping my clutch for 40 minutes.

Speed means nothing to me compared to engagement and control. Also, chicks dig the manual.
I have those same moments when i'm in my C7Z which is a manual.

The only difference is, i don't get tired of clutching in and out because my calf is failing. I get tired of clutching in and out because the shit is annoying lol. And corvette clutches (or GM in general) have some of the lightest clutches in the game.

I don't want engagement of the car when it brings annoyance and eliminates enjoyment. That is what makes manual driving, to me, and by me, pointless.

Enjoyment to me is when i can actually ENJOY the car.

Honestly, girls don't care for the manual. I think they like your car because it's an M3.

None of my previous gf's ever liked my manual cars. And i had a shit ton. All they wanted to ride in was comfortable cars with working AC and heat. They do not give a shit about speed or looks.
I understand your perspective, however, I do not share it.

Got bored of my CS inside 2 weeks.

As for the girls, well, my girlfriend misses the CS terribly, as she drove it for 6 weeks after I had shoulder surgery. I'm slowly teaching her how to drive the manual and she is approaching it with a desire to learn.
Appreciate 2
bri10425890.50
mmckenzie216.50
      10-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #69
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Not sure why people have an opinion on what others should do, buy or how to live their life.
One of my coworkers here reported to me that another coworker was (apparently) ranting about my poor color choice (BG) on the M4. Thank goodness that he didn't realize that it wasn't a Competition model!

Now I care about his opinion about as much as I respect his choice in cars. Sorry buddy, you drive a Kia; I don't have to listen to you.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 2
bri10425890.50
      10-21-2021, 03:00 PM   #70
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

there you see how marketing works....people just think competition is more power and better "whatever".
I also got asked quiet a couple of times why I don't have the comp package and I had to explain them that it basically is just the difference of MT or ZF.
And yes, the ZF comes with more hp and torque, but in the end it's just to differ from MT to ZF....

IMO BMW could have given both cars with the same amount of power, no freakin idea why they didn't (I don't buy the reliability thing).
BUT: the car is still fast af and it makes tons of fun driving the MT.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #71
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Your personalized plate should be BASEM3
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #72
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

As for the girls, well, my girlfriend misses the CS terribly, as she drove it for 6 weeks after I had shoulder surgery. I'm slowly teaching her how to drive the manual and she is approaching it with a desire to learn.

Well everyone is different. Just because 1 person decides to go away from the norm, that doesn't make them any less of a car person or whatever. I love cars to death. But that doesn't mean i have to like what everyone likes. Meaning older cars, manuals, vintage rare collectibles etc. I'm not jay leno lol.

I just like cars. That's it. It looks nice. I like it. It's fast. I like it. It's fun to drive. I like it.

I have extracted all my "love and interest" in driving manuals for over 20 years now. I'm tired of them. I don't want to drive a manual anymore. When my C7Z gets sold/traded when that time comes, that will be the very last time i drive a manual.

It's funny because my GF now can't wait for my M3C to come. She won't ride in the C7Z though. Not because it's a manual (which she also doesn't care about), but she doesn't like claustrophobic cars lol
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #73
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Can't beileve I missed this thread, great comments inside. After owning only Manual sporty cars I baught my M2 with DCT thinking it would have the best performance on track and I was right but boy did the novelty wore out quickly on the street..

I drove my friends M2 wich is Manual on track vs my DCT back to back and it remained true I was faster in my car but I had more fun in is car, I felt more like I was ''driving'' the car. Keep in mind my M2 was a weekend car and I was driving a Q5 daily.

When the baby was about to arrive we decided to let go of my girlfriends old civic and I convinced myself to daily the M2, after dailying it for a painfull month (harsh suspension, jerky trans, loud etc.) My SA called me to offer me like 10k more than last year for my M2 so I went all crazy and ordered a 6MT, Buckets M3.

I knew I was into compromise world again, the buckets were not chosen for looks but for track performance, just like I chose the DCT in the past, I knew dailying was going to be a bit painfull but was commited. No way I was going to accept to drive such a thrilling car like an M2 or M3 in auto form again, I wanted to feel what I felt as a teenager driving my Eagle Talon etc. Keep in mind I come from a drag racing background and 0-60, lunchs and stuff like that don't do much for me anymore, I been there done that but I totally understand why such devices like draggy are so popular today, I was all into it too but back then you had to go to the track, today its just anywhere anytime but anyways these days I am more into track days and driving enjoyment.

One day I went to the dealer to inquire about all the delays and still no production number. My SA told me: Hey we have a car in the shop same color you ordered (Oxide Grey II) come take a look, I love the color and all. Go back home, on the next morning looking on there website for a M3 alternative if I am bumped to 2022 (wich I did not want since delivery was October) I see they added an Oxide Grey M340i with red merino(canada) interior, track package, driver assistant pro, staggerd MP4S Star Spec wheels etc. and I am like.. humm Track package, AWD, Semi-autonomous cruise control etc. I call SA and tell him to give me the car for the next day and hold it till I try it.

Same evening I call a friend that I regularly see at the track who owns a 2018 340i M Performance Edition Fashion Grey + 6MT 2019 M2 Competition and we talk for an hour and a half about both cars, daily realitys, our big ass winters, 6mt cars etc.

To sum it up, here is what I have to say, now that I have owned my G20 2020 M340i from june I don't feel much desire for the M3 AWD, I still have the urge to experience a 6MT car again but I will wait to see how the new M2 turns up or will try to snatch a 6MT 718 4.0.

In reality and on my daily commute or visit to building sites I could never use more than a 330's potential anyways, just stretching the M340i's legs could get me in jail easily. I got a loaner 330e the other day and loved it, so relaxing. As for track duty, I am like 2% of all my summer driving on track so the compromise of having 100hp less or regular seats is minimal vs 98% of the rest of the time where I am comfortable.

We all have a different reality and there is not one good answer but there is no denying take same cars side by side and the Manual will alwyas feel more engaging to drive.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6

Last edited by PLF69; 10-21-2021 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #74
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
I've had the opposite reaction. Everyone that's seen the 6MT has given me a thumbs up.

The Comp is great, and I had what amounted to a very long test drive from the Performance center, but it kind of feels like the "best 3 Series" as oppose to an M3. I suppose that's an overall G80 critique, but the stick helps involvement a bit.

I don't care about track or 60 times. This car is faster than 95% of vehicles out there, and it's way above my capabilities on a track. I don't regret it one bit.
Attached Images

PLF693766.00
bri10425890.50
      10-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #75
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvetNY View Post
Why you didn’t told him that is a same price when the cars build it equally!???
There is no base and competition. There’s manual or automatic.

People like that aren't worth explaining anything too. They are trolls who don't know how to talk to people in person because they're too busy trolling reddit and youtube comment sections. He was probably on unemployment also
Lmaof 🤣
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #76
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
I've had the opposite reaction. Everyone that's seen the 6MT has given me a thumbs up.

The Comp is great, and I had what amounted to a very long test drive from the Performance center, but it kind of feels like the "best 3 Series" as oppose to an M3. I suppose that's an overall G80 critique, but the stick helps involvement a bit.

I don't care about track or 60 times. This car is faster than 95% of vehicles out there, and it's way above my capabilities on a track. I don't regret it one bit.
Absolutely stunning; the 6MT makes it extra special!
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 09:59 PM   #77
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
I would have gotten the manual if it didn't have the power defecit. I mean it's substantial and for the price it should be more competitive. That said, who gives a shit what other people think about your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 06:20 AM   #78
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
I would have gotten the manual if it didn't have the power defecit. I mean it's substantial and for the price it should be more competitive. That said, who gives a shit what other people think about your car?
Interesting take, most of us do not care about power when we have to sacrifice the manual and we can always tune.

I don't care but I certainly am amused!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 06:22 AM   #79
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post

It's been 3 years since I did a track day with a manual, as I had my CS. I'm an intermediate track driver with a fair amount of experience, but I'm sure the transmission is going to slow me down big time compared to the DCT. The CS was incredible on track and the G80 drives much better.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #80
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:

Well everyone is different. Just because 1 person decides to go away from the norm, that doesn't make them any less of a car person or whatever. I love cars to death. But that doesn't mean i have to like what everyone likes. Meaning older cars, manuals, vintage rare collectibles etc. I'm not jay leno lol.

I just like cars. That's it. It looks nice. I like it. It's fast. I like it. It's fun to drive. I like it.

I have extracted all my "love and interest" in driving manuals for over 20 years now. I'm tired of them. I don't want to drive a manual anymore. When my C7Z gets sold/traded when that time comes, that will be the very last time i drive a manual.

It's funny because my GF now can't wait for my M3C to come. She won't ride in the C7Z though. Not because it's a manual (which she also doesn't care about), but she doesn't like claustrophobic cars lol
That's hilarious about her "claustrophobia."

I am 39, driving 22 years, only 2 of which were in an auto. I'm still going strong and improving my manual driving technique. Much to learn still.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      10-22-2021, 07:05 AM   #81
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
It's available in New York haha.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
2011ninja3376.00
      10-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #82
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
I watched a video where they discussed the power difference between the base and the competition.

This quote came from some dude involved with the development of the "G80 BMW M3".

He said; "We made the competition with more horsepower for those who want bragging rights. The base with the manual is for the purest who put the driving experience at a premium".

That said; I get it. If I was not a crazy gotta have manual driver, I'd get the competition for the more relaxed luxury experience.

I'll test drive a ZF in some BMW and see if I like it
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 07:30 AM   #83
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
It's available in New York haha.
Nice; only a select few gonna understand that
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #84
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
If only I could put the word base in quotation marks...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #85
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
If only I could put the word base in quotation marks...
Lol!!!!

$80k+

Yes it's the base 🤣

Trust me BMW sold more competition models just because one is described base the other competition. (To some buyers.)

Edit: It's actually called "pure"
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #86
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's hilarious about her "claustrophobia."

I am 39, driving 22 years, only 2 of which were in an auto. I'm still going strong and improving my manual driving technique. Much to learn still.
We only been going out for 3 months. Ironically that same night i went to put the deposit on the M3C LOL. I guess the M3 might be a good luck car because of that lol.

I told her about the M3 that night we went out and she loves the car. She can't wait to ride and drive it. When she saw my C7Z she's like, "ehhh i kinda don't like cars like that" LOL. Damn it!

I'm 39 too. Been driving manual since i was 16.

I got sick of it about 2 years ago. It was like a fuse blown in my brain that said, "fuck this manual shit" lol
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #87
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Can't beileve I missed this thread, great comments inside. After owning only Manual sporty cars I baught my M2 with DCT thinking it would have the best performance on track and I was right but boy did the novelty wore out quickly on the street..

I drove my friends M2 wich is Manual on track vs my DCT back to back and it remained true I was faster in my car but I had more fun in is car, I felt more like I was ''driving'' the car. Keep in mind my M2 was a weekend car and I was driving a Q5 daily.

When the baby was about to arrive we decided to let go of my girlfriends old civic and I convinced myself to daily the M2, after dailying it for a painfull month (harsh suspension, jerky trans, loud etc.) My SA called me to offer me like 10k more than last year for my M2 so I went all crazy and ordered a 6MT, Buckets M3.

I knew I was into compromise world again, the buckets were not chosen for looks but for track performance, just like I chose the DCT in the past, I knew dailying was going to be a bit painfull but was commited. No way I was going to accept to drive such a thrilling car like an M2 or M3 in auto form again, I wanted to feel what I felt as a teenager driving my Eagle Talon etc. Keep in mind I come from a drag racing background and 0-60, lunchs and stuff like that don't do much for me anymore, I been there done that but I totally understand why such devices like draggy are so popular today, I was all into it too but back then you had to go to the track, today its just anywhere anytime but anyways these days I am more into track days and driving enjoyment.

One day I went to the dealer to inquire about all the delays and still no production number. My SA told me: Hey we have a car in the shop same color you ordered (Oxide Grey II) come take a look, I love the color and all. Go back home, on the next morning looking on there website for a M3 alternative if I am bumped to 2022 (wich I did not want since delivery was October) I see they added an Oxide Grey M340i with red merino(canada) interior, track package, driver assistant pro, staggerd MP4S Star Spec wheels etc. and I am like.. humm Track package, AWD, Semi-autonomous cruise control etc. I call SA and tell him to give me the car for the next day and hold it till I try it.

Same evening I call a friend that I regularly see at the track who owns a 2018 340i M Performance Edition Fashion Grey + 6MT 2019 M2 Competition and we talk for an hour and a half about both cars, daily realitys, our big ass winters, 6mt cars etc.

To sum it up, here is what I have to say, now that I have owned my G20 2020 M340i from june I don't feel much desire for the M3 AWD, I still have the urge to experience a 6MT car again but I will wait to see how the new M2 turns up or will try to snatch a 6MT 718 4.0.

In reality and on my daily commute or visit to building sites I could never use more than a 330's potential anyways, just stretching the M340i's legs could get me in jail easily. I got a loaner 330e the other day and loved it, so relaxing. As for track duty, I am like 2% of all my summer driving on track so the compromise of having 100hp less or regular seats is minimal vs 98% of the rest of the time where I am comfortable.

We all have a different reality and there is not one good answer but there is no denying take same cars side by side and the Manual will alwyas feel more engaging to drive.
100%. I would be so bored with AT I’d have to change it every 9-12 months and that would be a waste of money and still nowhere near as fun.
Appreciate 0