BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-20-2021, 04:56 AM   #45
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
The general populace cannot tell the difference between a thespian and a lesbian - I'd be astonished if they knew that the M3 Competition only comes in auto.

Though I do wish we had an option to get black badges.. really don't like silver badges.
Can always pick them up from IND.

As a collective we have hit this ‘place’ where we can’t mind our own business and let others do the same.

Folks that hate the G80 troll the G80 forum looking for every opportunity to criticize the car, I guess it makes them feel better about themselves. Folks who buy big lifted trucks think you’re stupid for buying a sport sedan because you can’t rip out a stump with it.

People try to build themselves up by tearing other folks down. It’s not new but seems to be at an all time high (or low).

Luckily, I haven’t run into it yet. The car get’s a lot of looks but doesn’t get the universal high-fives and thumbs up my Supra did. I was a rock star in that car, despite all of the internet hate.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 06:09 AM   #46
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
The general populace cannot tell the difference between a thespian and a lesbian - I'd be astonished if they knew that the M3 Competition only comes in auto.

Though I do wish we had an option to get black badges.. really don't like silver badges.
You can get OEM black badges, although I’m not a fan personally and prefer debadged look at least on the rear side

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-parts/bmw-f80-m3-black-competition-package-trunk-emblem-51148068580
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #47
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Verbatim conversations from the past 4 days:

Guy comes up to me at a gas station on long island and 2 minutes into the conversation he says "you sprung for an individual color but not the competition pack? was there a large price difference?"

Guy talking sh*t about my car in a facebook group: "you must not be a track enthusiast if you didn't even click the comp box."

Son translating from Spanish for his father who was admiring my car at a 7-11: "My father says nice car but wants to know why you didn't get the competition model."

Not that it matters what anyone else thinks...but wow.

Anyways, 6MT FTW.
Obviously, those are people who don't know shit, given their absurd comments. One could say you're more of an enthusiast given your choice of transmission, but I digress...

Shitty, unsolicited comments.
      10-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #48
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Thread created just in time after the brief discussion about manual vs auto last night lol

It's all love. Save the manuals i guess.

I'll be driving the boring auto and waiting for you at the finish line!!
I had the most delightful drive to pick up my son from nursery school. I did not exceed 40 miles per hour. It was very engaging. That same drive would have been joyless in an Auto.

Conversely, on the way to Brooklyn this morning, my left calf muscle nearly failed after pumping my clutch for 40 minutes.

Speed means nothing to me compared to engagement and control. Also, chicks dig the manual.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1511.50
      10-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #49
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Thread created just in time after the brief discussion about manual vs auto last night lol

It's all love. Save the manuals i guess.

I'll be driving the boring auto and waiting for you at the finish line!!
I had the most delightful drive to pick up my son from nursery school. I did not exceed 40 miles per hour. It was very engaging. That same drive would have been joyless in an Auto.

Conversely, on the way to Brooklyn this morning, my left calf muscle nearly failed after pumping my clutch for 40 minutes.

Speed means nothing to me compared to engagement and control. Also, chicks dig the manual.
Spot on. Same thing is said about my 991.1s PDK. Driving slow is not fun as there is zero engagement in the auto at legal speeds. Only enjoyed when breaking the speed limit. Looking forward to getting back into a manual when my M3 arrives in the next month or so. It's been 12 long years since and super pumped.
      10-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #50
par__m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 G80 6MT

For this reason I am going to contract the production of a new M3 badge. What is an antonym of competition? Oh yes… I have a M3 Cooperation.

At first glance, they will think it's a Competition.

No one is gonna know.
Sold: '17 Ibis White R8 V10 Plus

Instagram: @par__m3
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #51
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Anyways, 6MT FTW.
New personalized plate: "6MT FTL"

We've established that it's the slower car. Own it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #52
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
I also weigh that MT is a nice theft deterrent. Perhaps more relevant in Chicago, since people are now frequently getting carjacked on Michigan Ave... in the middle of the day... in the part of town that is supposed to have the highest police presence.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #53
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
Spot on. Same thing is said about my 991.1s PDK. Driving slow is not fun as there is zero engagement in the auto at legal speeds. Only enjoyed when breaking the speed limit. Looking forward to getting back into a manual when my M3 arrives in the next month or so. It's been 12 long years since and super pumped.
Welcome home brother.
Appreciate 1
Flying051305.50
      10-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #54
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
Quote:

You can get OEM black badges, although I’m not a fan personally and prefer debadged look at least on the rear side

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-parts/bmw-f80-m3-black-competition-package-trunk-emblem-51148068580
Here's my manual with black badge, I didn't like mismatching with the carbon side vent black badges so I swapped them all to black (front and rear).

On a side note the only comments I've had so far are nice color or people breaking necks, a lot of people in F80s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #55
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post
Honestly, it's just really silly that BMW limited the manual gearbox to the base model. There isn't anything "base" about the M3.
It's base in name only. (Marketing)

Reality:

HP and Zero to 60 sells performance cars; for some buyers.

Reality:

If you can afford these cars, you also know in reality
you're never going to be in a situation where the extra HP or torque was used in a life changing event.

Most are commuting in these cars.

It comes down to personal choice.
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #56
Fins1972
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 BMW M3

I was looking for a manual transmission when I bought my Base (resulting in some really interesting cross shopping -- think Honda Type R (wife said I would look ridiculous)). Getting back into a manual after 30 years has really put a smile back on my face -- really, every single time I drive the thing! My garage will never be devoid of a manual again. I too ticked almost every box, including the individual color option. So far to date, I have received all positive comments, including performance center individuals stopping in the delivery session to state that they would spec their car the same way. I am quite certain that I will be receiving comments similar to FrankieBones in the immediate future; I will merely respond that I do not know how to drive an automatic. In all seriousness, I did not know that I had lost some of the joy of driving until I got into my Base. The smiles keep coming.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #57
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins1972 View Post
I was looking for a manual transmission when I bought my Base (resulting in some really interesting cross shopping -- think Honda Type R (wife said I would look ridiculous)). Getting back into a manual after 30 years has really put a smile back on my face -- really, every single time I drive the thing! My garage will never be devoid of a manual again. I too ticked almost every box, including the individual color option. So far to date, I have received all positive comments, including performance center individuals stopping in the delivery session to state that they would spec their car the same way. I am quite certain that I will be receiving comments similar to FrankieBones in the immediate future; I will merely respond that I do not know how to drive an automatic. In all seriousness, I did not know that I had lost some of the joy of driving until I got into my Base. The smiles keep coming.
let's see her! what color did you spec?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #58
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
let's see her! what color did you spec?
+1
Would love to see a fellow Atlantan's car!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #59
Fins1972
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 BMW M3

I went with Mexico Blue -- only the second blue car I have ever owned! Love the color!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
chicagofan0019143.00
Scorp!on1511.50
2011ninja3396.00
      10-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #60
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
I went with Mexico Blue -- only the second blue car I have ever owned! Love the color!
Wow! That's a vibrant color. Love it!
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #61
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80

Why you didn’t told him that is a same price when the cars build it equally!???
There is no base and competition. There’s manual or automatic.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #62
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvetNY View Post

People like that aren't worth explaining anything too. They are trolls who don't know how to talk to people in person because they're too busy trolling reddit and youtube comment sections. He was probably on unemployment also
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #63
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Gorgeous!
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #64
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Lol!!!!!!

I'm laughing because I've never owned an automatic.

I had a BMW loaner for the first time in 2018 when I got an oil change.

I went to play tennis later that day and could not figure how to park the car in gear.

Do you call it "gear" when it's an automatic?
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #65
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvetNY View Post
I did say that to the father and son, they got it. The guy on fb I ignored.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #66
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I will merely respond that I do not know how to drive an automatic.
I have said exactly this to people when getting my F80 CS..."What am I gonna do? Can someone teach me to drive automatic?"
Appreciate 0