BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #23
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Maybe because they want a luxury performance GT that also offers the engagement of a manual? Rather than doubling their garage inventory with another slushbox and a Miata? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

...or maybe they're getting this car for the overall combination of features and capabilities? If they only wanted this level of performance, they could have bought a GT350 or something.

a) The only one "downgrading" is BMW (which doesn't offer the 6MT with the competition).
b) It's not a "downgrade" since the Competition is an optional package that you need to pay for.
c) Performance isn't measured only in HP or 0-60. Driver involvement and fun-to-drive factors can be just as important.

That's great, I'm glad you found something that suits you well. But not everyone is going to have the same preferences/priorities as you.
NightWriter appreicate you taking the time sir to understand the context of my scenario.

After an evening and morning of conversation with the wife- leaning towards canceling my appt this afternoon and holding onto 6MT. I decided I would be upset with myself in loosing a car that I’ve enjoyed so much so soon. Might go treat the wife to an X7 instead.

Looking forward to tinkering a bit further and plan to order the carbon backs for my base seats and order that lip I’ve been eyeing. Car is already JB4’d running map 6 on 93… it’s moving same air as the comps are so that wasn’t a motivation all along. Thank you all for your input — all was valuable and all helped me in making my decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #24
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburks View Post
NightWriter appreicate you taking the time sir to understand the context of my scenario.

After an evening and morning of conversation with the wife- leaning towards canceling my appt this afternoon and holding onto 6MT. I decided I would be upset with myself in loosing a car that I’ve enjoyed so much so soon. Might go treat the wife to an X7 instead.
Sounds like a win-win
      10-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #25
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:
TexasEd
Very nice! That's at least a good testimony I'd say for Dravit! I sat in my friends buckets and found them awesome. Not for everyone, but I loved how it hugged me and my organs. What other changes did you make given the opportunity to select your spec? Change of rim? you kept interior & exterior colors, but aside from buckets -- any other insight before my order visit? Thinking about trimming both the drivers assistance professional package & the Exec pack. Have both now and really don't use them...
So I went from the 2021 to a 2022 with the added: xDrive, 826M wheels, Carbon Fiber Trim, Exec. Package, Red Calipers, M Carbon Exterior Pkg., and M Shadowline Lights. My 2022 is $3k less in total price than the 2021 that I owned because primarily I deleted the sport seats which are added $$.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #26
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Dont do it dude.

I told my g80c for a profit to buy a xdrive now I'm sitting here like a pecker head waiting for an allocation. nothing but regret on my end.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #27
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
So I went from the 2021 to a 2022 with the added: xDrive, 826M wheels, Carbon Fiber Trim, Exec. Package, Red Calipers, M Carbon Exterior Pkg., and M Shadowline Lights. My 2022 is $3k less in total price than the 2021 that I owned because primarily I deleted the sport seats which are added $$.
Interesting. I guess you didn't find the M sport seats comfortable over the long term?
      10-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #28
Brazilian_BAMF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022M4CX Iomg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Interesting. I guess you didn't find the M sport seats comfortable over the long term?
Looks like they are not comfortable for a daily drive.
I was thinking to get them. But at this point, i'm staying with the normal ones.

Do you know if the bucket seats are heated? I know you can't have them ventilated.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #29
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelokayro View Post
Looks like they are not comfortable for a daily drive.
I was thinking to get them. But at this point, i'm staying with the normal ones.

Do you know if the bucket seats are heated? I know you can't have them ventilated.
Yessir, they are heated or have capacity to be heated. Not sure if it’s a default.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #30
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
Dont do it dude.

I told my g80c for a profit to buy a xdrive now I'm sitting here like a pecker head waiting for an allocation. nothing but regret on my end.
modat staying put my man… yeah, pro’s just aren’t over the top in weight compared to the cons. I appreciate your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:17 PM   #31
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
corbs09 this is Corbin... as in Corbin I hung out with at Nebraska on Saturday with, correct? My man! Thank you for offering. Yes, lets plan on doing that. Saturday 10/23 or 10/30?
Yep, thats me. I should be around for both, so take your pick!
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #32
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
@BGM-M3comp

Can’t tag you, but sincerely appreciate your feedback. It’s very beneficial for me to hear from others that have been empowered to own and drive other platforms which I haven’t.

I will say, I’m not looking to straight check boxes here. It’s the subtle nuances that this chassis and powertrain provide for me (yes, I drive to and from work daily- this isn’t a weekend warrior) so the subtle nuances do matter to me on a daily basis.

No, I’m not looking to add another s2k or spec Miata to the repertoire-
As stated, I’m contemplating making a change to what I view as a potential enhancement to my current daily driver.

I see you shared that you haven’t driven a base 6MT G80… have a good one sir ��

Very well put.

Like i said in my original post, i don't want to start arguments because i know the manual vs auto discussions never end well lol.

But i am a very direct guy as i don't sugar coat things. So i do apologize if i came off blunt.

I'm not saying the manual G80 is inferior. But when i said downgrade meaning in power, and some stuff you need to option in when the competition has some of those things standard. That's what i meant.

If my C7Z was offered with a ZF 8 speed, i wouldn't even think twice about going the manual route. I already knew before i bought the car how bad the GM 8 speed was. So i immediately started to search for manual z06's.

I still love driving the car don't get me wrong. However i do know i'm leaving a bit of performance on the table because of the manual handicap. Also if i did go the auto route, i would've modified my car even more because it's a more tame setup once you start getting closer to 1000hp. Which was my plan. But refused to do it because i have the manual.

My car is essentially a roll racing car because of that. I would have loved to do drag racing with this car.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #33
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

If you do get an x7 don't get captains chairs. Limits your cargo space. The bench folds flat, but not the chairs. One reason I ditched the x7 for a GLS.
mattburks750.50
      10-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #34
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Good day to you all, happy Monday as well -- fair warning, messy cathartic dump below and am looking for some feedback. Case in point - I have taken it upon myself to schedule an APPT tomorrow at my local dealer to discuss submitting an order for a G80X.

For context, I've been in my '21 G80 base now since April and have truly enjoyed every minute of the near 9,500 miles she has on the clock. My wife and I are currently a 2-car stall family, and she does not drive manual transmission cars & is not overly interested in learning either. Something about not being able to cross drive each other’s car does bother me though for some reason, and with my line of work having access to an SUV periodically means less wear and tear on mine – real estate signs, guests etc....
I picked up my car in April with the mindset of ordering my spec, but they had the car I’m in now on site due to a non purchased order. A part of me still holds true to the thought that for the $$$, why not have the opportunity to hand select what I would want? I would look to drop a few un needed items (Exec pack) and "optimize" to my tastes for similar money at the end of the day. I did make a few mental concessions as BSM would not be 1st choice, and I was after carbon buckets as well.

What truly concerns me is… am I going to regret letting go of my 6MT? Is this something that in 3-5 years I will be whining about like so many others; and rightfully so, who have let go of a spec that they largely regret (looking at you E39 & E46 guys)? The engagement of the driving experience of the 6MT is FAR from perfect… but it is engaging & I’m worried I’m falling victim to grass being greener syndrome.

HELP!!! Lol – anyone make the jump from base to Xcomp?
No, you will not regret losing this car in 3-5 years. You can always pick up a used one or something else if you want to scratch your itch.

I'm going to make this very easy for you. Submit an order for your desired spec, continue to drive your car, and trade in your car once your new one arrives. Don't worry about racking up miles either. Another 5-6k miles isn't going to drastically change the value of your current manual.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-19-2021, 08:54 PM   #35
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Very well put.

Like i said in my original post, i don't want to start arguments because i know the manual vs auto discussions never end well lol.

But i am a very direct guy as i don't sugar coat things. So i do apologize if i came off blunt.

I'm not saying the manual G80 is inferior. But when i said downgrade meaning in power, and some stuff you need to option in when the competition has some of those things standard. That's what i meant.

If my C7Z was offered with a ZF 8 speed, i wouldn't even think twice about going the manual route. I already knew before i bought the car how bad the GM 8 speed was. So i immediately started to search for manual z06's.

I still love driving the car don't get me wrong. However i do know i'm leaving a bit of performance on the table because of the manual handicap. Also if i did go the auto route, i would've modified my car even more because it's a more tame setup once you start getting closer to 1000hp. Which was my plan. But refused to do it because i have the manual.

My car is essentially a roll racing car because of that. I would have loved to do drag racing with this car.
@Bgm-M3
Fair brother- all is well. I was sincere in my appreciation of your post. Though that one might not of been my favorite- I have enjoyed recognizing your call name these past few months. Part of what makes an online forum fun. Thank you for being you!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #36
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
First and foremost, the manual isn't that good. But that's ok, you know why? Because I knew what I was getting into. This manual feels identical to the one in my E92, because it pretty much is. In fact, it's the same manual they put in every BMW over the last 10 years, which is why they all shift in that same rubbery, vague way.

But even a bad M3 manual is better then most good automatics in regards to the fun factor.

As for the Comp, I had the unique experience of driving one for 500 miles over 3 days (I work with the Performance Center), and it's clear the car was designed for the ZF. It's so fast and so capable.

That's the problem. At road speeds, it's yawning. 2 extra speeds in the box means even less shifting - not necessarily a bad thing in an auto, but not a recipe for more involvement.

This formula has been going on in the M3 since the E9X days - the manual is more an afterthought but always the more engaging of the two.
Ilyam5890.00
      10-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #37
par__m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 G80 6MT

I have been enjoying my manual M3 for the past few weeks, but I think I might be interested in a xDrive model. I am contemplating getting on the list at my dealer for an allocation. I figure at the current rate of production it could be well over 6 months before the car is built, so that would give me some time to decide if I want to continue with the manual or move on to the xDrive when it is ready. For at least a few months I'd be out a refundable $1,000 to have the option.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #38
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

You are not the only one. 6 months in and I am curious about the xdrive model and its added utility especially in the canadian winters that are just so brutal.

What makes it even harder is the strong resale market which makes upgrading so damn tempting. Ultimately, I will be selling the car in the spring but not to upgrade into an xDrive because really its the same car. I will be waiting for the inevitable facelift or CS that are a couple of years away.

Best of luck in your decision!
Appreciate 0