BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Pondering order G80X & trade in MY '21 Base

Good day to you all, happy Monday as well -- fair warning, messy cathartic dump below and am looking for some feedback. Case in point - I have taken it upon myself to schedule an APPT tomorrow at my local dealer to discuss submitting an order for a G80X.

For context, I've been in my '21 G80 base now since April and have truly enjoyed every minute of the near 9,500 miles she has on the clock. My wife and I are currently a 2-car stall family, and she does not drive manual transmission cars & is not overly interested in learning either. Something about not being able to cross drive each other’s car does bother me though for some reason, and with my line of work having access to an SUV periodically means less wear and tear on mine – real estate signs, guests etc....
I picked up my car in April with the mindset of ordering my spec, but they had the car I’m in now on site due to a non purchased order. A part of me still holds true to the thought that for the $$$, why not have the opportunity to hand select what I would want? I would look to drop a few un needed items (Exec pack) and "optimize" to my tastes for similar money at the end of the day. I did make a few mental concessions as BSM would not be 1st choice, and I was after carbon buckets as well.

What truly concerns me is… am I going to regret letting go of my 6MT? Is this something that in 3-5 years I will be whining about like so many others; and rightfully so, who have let go of a spec that they largely regret (looking at you E39 & E46 guys)? The engagement of the driving experience of the 6MT is FAR from perfect… but it is engaging & I’m worried I’m falling victim to grass being greener syndrome.

HELP!!! Lol – anyone make the jump from base to Xcomp?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburks View Post
Good day to you all, happy Monday as well -- fair warning, messy cathartic dump below and am looking for some feedback. Case in point - I have taken it upon myself to schedule an APPT tomorrow at my local dealer to discuss submitting an order for a G80X.

For context, I've been in my '21 G80 base now since April and have truly enjoyed every minute of the near 9,500 miles she has on the clock. My wife and I are currently a 2-car stall family, and she does not drive manual transmission cars & is not overly interested in learning either. Something about not being able to cross drive each other’s car does bother me though for some reason, and with my line of work having access to an SUV periodically means less wear and tear on mine – real estate signs, guests etc....
I picked up my car in April with the mindset of ordering my spec, but they had the car I’m in now on site due to a non purchased order. A part of me still holds true to the thought that for the $$$, why not have the opportunity to hand select what I would want? I would look to drop a few un needed items (Exec pack) and "optimize" to my tastes for similar money at the end of the day. I did make a few mental concessions as BSM would not be 1st choice, and I was after carbon buckets as well.

What truly concerns me is… am I going to regret letting go of my 6MT? Is this something that in 3-5 years I will be whining about like so many others; and rightfully so, who have let go of a spec that they largely regret (looking at you E39 & E46 guys)? The engagement of the driving experience of the 6MT is FAR from perfect… but it is engaging & I’m worried I’m falling victim to grass being greener syndrome.

HELP!!! Lol – anyone make the jump from base to Xcomp?
I am in the same position. Have a 2021 M3 - Dravit Grey/Kyalami buckets, CF exterior package, Exec package, parking assistance package and was all set to trade my 718 GT4 for a Brooklyn over Full tartufo (and have both M3s at the same time), and most options Xdrive car, but then realized the GT4 it honestly too good in nearly every way and said I'm keeping it.
I now may trade the M3 for the other M3 but again getting cold feet because I didnt care for the ZF8 in my M5 Comp, but also wonder if losing the buckets for the standard seats will be an issue. I dont care much about losing the CF exterior package, but the buckets are the one item that makes the car feel special. The base seats just look so mundane, though I do love the tartufo interior.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
I am in the same position. Have a 2021 M3 - Dravit Grey/Kyalami buckets, CF exterior package, Exec package, parking assistance package and was all set to trade my 718 GT4 for a Brooklyn over Full tartufo (and have both M3s at the same time), and most options Xdrive car, but then realized the GT4 it honestly too good in nearly every way and said I'm keeping it.
I now may trade the M3 for the other M3 but again getting cold feet because I didnt care for the ZF8 in my M5 Comp, but also wonder if losing the buckets for the standard seats will be an issue. I dont care much about losing the CF exterior package, but the buckets are the one item that makes the car feel special. The base seats just look so mundane, though I do love the tartufo interior.
HeelToeShift
Thank you brother for chiming in - good to know I'm not alone in this thought. Admittedly this whole idea makes me feel a bit selfish..
Oh the irony, I'm chasing Dravit and will probably go with the KO bucket over the silverstone as I imagine they will show less wear over time. If I had your CURRENT car.. I don't think I'd be posting this... Further proving my point of me chasing green grass.

Questions:
1. Would you dravit again? I think this is the best color, and why I was able to talk myself into a BSM... if you squint... and are blind... They are quite similar lol.
2. Buckets -- any regrets? IF an order is placed tomorrow, the goal is to keep this for a long while.. says the guy trading in his 6 month old G80.
3. IS the ZF really that bad? I feel as though both my getrag and myself have become 1... I probably use a 1/3 of the clutch travel, and have become quite proficient with the platform.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburks View Post
HeelToeShift
Thank you brother for chiming in - good to know I'm not alone in this thought. Admittedly this whole idea makes me feel a bit selfish..
Oh the irony, I'm chasing Dravit and will probably go with the KO bucket over the silverstone as I imagine they will show less wear over time. If I had your CURRENT car.. I don't think I'd be posting this... Further proving my point of me chasing green grass.

Questions:
1. Would you dravit again? I think this is the best color, and why I was able to talk myself into a BSM... if you squint... and are blind... They are quite similar lol.
2. Buckets -- any regrets? IF an order is placed tomorrow, the goal is to keep this for a long while.. says the guy trading in his 6 month old G80.
3. IS the ZF really that bad? I feel as though both my getrag and myself have become 1... I probably use a 1/3 of the clutch travel, and have become quite proficient with the platform.
I like Dravit a lot - looks like grigio telesto at times and the green/gold in the sun is awesome. Most of the time I get the former and it just looks like dark grey. I'd likely not option it again...but that's also because I like variety. Brooklyn IMO is a great color too.
The buckets look awesome and IMO are actually better than the Porsche buckets (which are quite good). Super comfortable and supportive.
The ZF8 IMO was a real let down, especially seeing as my 2019 911 before that was PDK. I have not driven the ZF8 in the G8x, but I am told it's better, but still think it lacks in comparison to BMW DCT let alone PDK which is markedly better to me. For that matter, the 6MT also pales in comparison to my GT4 manual...

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 10-18-2021 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I think you'll be perfectly happy with the ZF given it allows you to cross drive with your wife's SUV. It's a very good gear box in my view. It lacks that 'occasion' and thump you get from an SMG but more than makes up for it in refinement.

You'd be gaining the buckets which seems like a big deal to you and the fact your wife might drive it occasionally.

Ironically, I went with the automatic in Dravit because my wife can't drive a manual…6 months in and she has yet to drive the car! She has no interest so I could have got a manual after all!! If I had my choice again I think I would still go with the competition. It's just much better for traffic.

Is there an option C where you buy/lease a cheap SUV for work duties?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mattburks750.50
JDUNITNOW3502.50
      10-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

I sold my 2021 M4 Competition in Dravit with the Kayalami Bucket seats because the seats are terribly uncomfortable and I hated them. I ordered the 2022 M4 Competition xDrive in Dravit with the standard Kayalami seats. It is currently at the port in Germany. Also, I am not a manual shifting guy nor a lover of sedans.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #7
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
I sold my 2021 M4 Competition in Dravit with the Kayalami Bucket seats because the seats are terribly uncomfortable and I hated them. I ordered the 2022 M4 Competition xDrive in Dravit with the standard Kayalami seats. It is currently at the port in Germany. Also, I am not a manual shifting guy nor a lover of sedans.
TexasEd
Very nice! That's at least a good testimony I'd say for Dravit! I sat in my friends buckets and found them awesome. Not for everyone, but I loved how it hugged me and my organs. What other changes did you make given the opportunity to select your spec? Change of rim? you kept interior & exterior colors, but aside from buckets -- any other insight before my order visit? Thinking about trimming both the drivers assistance professional package & the Exec pack. Have both now and really don't use them...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
Dr. Ice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 C2S

I just sold my 2017 911 C2S with 9,800 miles and took delivery of my Competition XDrive 2 months ago. PDK is probably the best automatic transmission made in my opinion……but the M3 is VERY good! I had a manual in my C7 Corvette that I ordered new in 2015. Rowing your own is fun….but I don’t like leaving performance on the table when I am buying a performance car….just me!
Appreciate 2
mattburks750.50
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      10-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #9
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

These are just my thoughts and not looking to start a flame war.

The manual in the M3 doesn't really match the car plus it is not a great implementation compared to Porsche or Honda 6 spd's. The M3 is a compromise car that can smash corners and then take the kids to school or the family to dinner. The ZF implementation in the G80 is very good and I like it better than my F90 setup.

That being said, I would not order a ZF car just for my wife to be able to drive it somewhat rarely. If this is your car, get what you want. Grab a cheap SUV, truck or wagon for the days you need it. As an example I have a '95 Toyota single cab 2wd that we keep around as a beater.

On the other end, if I had a 718 GT4 in the driveway I wouldn't be worried about keeping a manual M3 around. The GT4 is a much more driver focused car and the M3 fills a different need. Carbon buckets are completely a personal decision. I didn't want them for several reasons, but wouldn't get a sports car without them.
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #10
AJM1125
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Competition

It ultimately depends on how long you expect to keep the car. If it is a long term keeper (5+ years or more) id lean more towards the manual. It makes the car more special and unique given the fact it is really the sole car in the segment that still offers a manual transmission. I personally opted for the ZF, I have plenty of cars in a manual if I get the itch, and with that being said the transmission is smooth, crisp, comfortable in traffic and lower speeds (unlike the DCT from pervious years) and really does shift quickly.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #11
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I think you'll be perfectly happy with the ZF given it allows you to cross drive with your wife's SUV. It's a very good gear box in my view. It lacks that 'occasion' and thump you get from an SMG but more than makes up for it in refinement.

You'd be gaining the buckets which seems like a big deal to you and the fact your wife might drive it occasionally.

Ironically, I went with the automatic in Dravit because my wife can't drive a manual…6 months in and she has yet to drive the car! She has no interest so I could have got a manual after all!! If I had my choice again I think I would still go with the competition. It's just much better for traffic.

Is there an option C where you buy/lease a cheap SUV for work duties?
barryc365
All great points -- I imagine the validity in her driving it much will be next to never as an SUV pairs with newborn logistics much better. She's wired so many unsightly sensors and cameras... truly a sight to see. I'm mentally gathering & now ready to admit that I am looking to make a change for self indulgent reasons, and propping it up with her as justification Barry your car is absolutely beautiful.

Yes to the thought of a cash truck/suv. I've toyed with the thought of trying to source a clean 4runner, land cruiser and doing a light overland build...

I think I've just really over romanticized the do all nature of the M3. I envision forgoing ceramic this lap and doing full PPF and driving the platform to the mountains. We lived in Breck for a couple of years and drive to Summit CO at least 3-4 times a ski season still... This will be tough.
Appreciate 1
barryc3651956.00
      10-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #12
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

I swapped a G82 6mt for a G80 comp. The auto goes with the car much better in my opinion, and it really suites the cars power band well. I have other manual cars, so can still scratch that itch if I wanted.

If I could do it again and spec my own car, it would likely be Dravit over Kylami. I think there is a Cars and Coffee in Southlake next weekend, if you need to take an auto for a test drive, just let me know
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #13
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
I swapped a G82 6mt for a G80 comp. The auto goes with the car much better in my opinion, and it really suites the cars power band well. I have other manual cars, so can still scratch that itch if I wanted.

If I could do it again and spec my own car, it would likely be Dravit over Kylami. I think there is a Cars and Coffee in Southlake next weekend, if you need to take an auto for a test drive, just let me know
corbs09 this is Corbin... as in Corbin I hung out with at Nebraska on Saturday with, correct? My man! Thank you for offering. Yes, lets plan on doing that. Saturday 10/23 or 10/30?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #14
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
If driving a manual is really making you think, why not just get another car that's a manual? Something that's cheaper so can have your manual pleasure?

I am not looking to start arguments but you get a performance car of this magnitude for it's performance. You're downgrading that performance by getting the manual. That is the reason why they gave the manual less hp and torque. The competition gets all the goodies.

And idk about you but the ZF is THE BEST torque converter auto there is in the industry, PERIOD. That's why BMW uses it, that's why the high performance FCA cars use them, bentley etc. It's an incredible auto.

I have driven DCT's before like the GTR and they are good when in manual mode and when you're on the go. Driving a DCT in auto isn't that good and it's pretty bad at slow moving speeds.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #15
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

I'm 4 months and 7k into my comp and the zf is definitely the least thrilling part of this car.

I do wish I'd have gotten a base.

Autos are just straight up boring.

But the fact that the M3x can put down 2.9x to 60 is pretty badass.. but my main gripe with this car is it's basically too fast while also being very soft around the edges.

So..

Would going even faster with this smooth transmission really bring the thrill back?

Hard to say, but I really doubt it.

I'm starting to miss my m2c more and more.
Appreciate 4
mattburks750.50
Salespunk1745.00
CanuckM665.50
      10-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #16
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
If driving a manual is really making you think, why not just get another car that's a manual? Something that's cheaper so can have your manual pleasure?
Maybe because they want a luxury performance GT that also offers the engagement of a manual? Rather than doubling their garage inventory with another slushbox and a Miata? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Quote:
I am not looking to start arguments but you get a performance car of this magnitude for it's performance.
...or maybe they're getting this car for the overall combination of features and capabilities? If they only wanted this level of performance, they could have bought a GT350 or something.

Quote:
You're downgrading that performance by getting the manual.
a) The only one "downgrading" is BMW (which doesn't offer the 6MT with the competition).
b) It's not a "downgrade" since the Competition is an optional package that you need to pay for.
c) Performance isn't measured only in HP or 0-60. Driver involvement and fun-to-drive factors can be just as important.

Quote:
I have driven DCT's before like the GTR and they are good when in manual mode and when you're on the go. Driving a DCT in auto isn't that good and it's pretty bad at slow moving speeds.
That's great, I'm glad you found something that suits you well. But not everyone is going to have the same preferences/priorities as you.
      10-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #17
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Quote:
Maybe because they want a luxury performance GT that also offers the engagement of a manual? Rather than another slushbox and a Miata? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Quote:
I am not looking to start arguments but you get a performance car of this magnitude for it's performance.
...or maybe they're getting this car for the overall combination of features and capabilities? If they only wanted this level of performance, they could have bought a GT350 or something.

Quote:
You're downgrading that performance by getting the manual.
a) The only one "downgrading" is BMW (which doesn't offer the 6MT with the competition).
b) It's not a "downgrade" since the Competition is an optional package that you need to pay for.
c) Performance isn't measured only in HP or 0-60. Driver involvement and fun-to-drive factors can be just as important.

Quote:
That's great, I'm glad you found something that suits you well. But not everyone is going to have the same preferences/priorities as you.
Damn..couldn't have explained any of these points better.
      10-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #18
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe because they want a luxury performance GT that also offers the engagement of a manual? Rather than doubling their garage inventory with another slushbox and a Miata? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
Do you have a manual G8x?

Because i don't. But when you hear feedback, or watch videos of unbiased reviewers test driving the car, they tell you the manual isn't good. Not because it's a manual, but because it has THAT MANUAL. It's not honda manual is what everyone points out.

Quote:
Features and capabilities would be opting for the competition. We're nearing 2022 where cars have advanced so far, that you're taking a step back in the driving experience, just because you want to feel nostalgic in driving a manual.

Quote:
Umm i have to backpedal a bit and just say i have a 700+hp C7Z in a manual. When i could've gotten the auto. The only difference between what i said and what i did, was that the auto in the corvette, IS GARBAGE. The manual was the only way to have less issues (no overheating), and not deal with how bad the auto is in everything other than going WOT. Which you obviously can not do 100% of your drive.

The ZF auto in the G8X is absolutely incredible. And while i haven't even drove the car, i do have experience with the ZF 8 speed. It is amazing. Lightyears ahead of what GM did for their 8 speed.

How much more is the comp over the base?

So i get 30hp more and what? 70 more ft lbs? And a more livable car that can be used daily without any headaches of the nonsense driving a manual in traffic can bring?

Sure sign me up for only an extra 3k. I'll take that any day. That's why i did.

Quote:
Which can be said about you as well.

How many people have gone to the G80 from an F80 and had no regrets?

The only ones that didn't make the move yet, was because they're emotionally attached to their F80.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #19
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

I'm not sure why you're so defensive about your decisions. Yes, some reviews have not been charitable towards the 6MT. But others have said they prefer it. I'm not going to bother finding and linking to them, since I don't have anything to prove here and it sounds like you've already made your preferences known.

Personally, I unfortunately have not yet had the chance to drive a G80 of any flavor, though I've tried. I will continue to try until I place an order (likely early next year). But my preference thus far is the 6MT, as it's clear to me we're nearing the end of an era, and I just find driving stick more fun. Would I get the Competition if they offered it with a manual? Maybe, but the base model is already plenty fast. Chasing 0-60 times is a hollow exercise, especially for street cars. Otherwise we'd all just be driving Teslas.
      10-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #20
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure why you're so defensive about your decisions. Yes, some reviews have not been charitable towards the 6MT. But others have said they prefer it. I'm not going to bother finding and linking to them, since I don't have anything to prove here and it sounds like you've already made your preferences known.

Personally, I unfortunately have not yet had the chance to drive a G80 of any flavor, though I've tried. I will continue to try until I place an order (likely early next year). But my preference thus far is the 6MT, as it's clear to me we're nearing the end of an era, and I just find driving stick more fun. Would I get the Competition if they offered it with a manual? Maybe, but the base model is already plenty fast. Chasing 0-60 times is a hollow exercise, especially for street cars. Otherwise we'd all just be driving Teslas.

In no way am i saying getting the M3 in manual is dumb or wrong or still wanting/loving manual is dumb or wrong.

I am just stating my outlook on the whole thing from my perspective and experience. And i was mainly commenting on OP's question. It's not a direct attack to anyone who is thinking about buying a manual M3 or currently has one.

The only one who seemed defensive was you lol. Because i didn't direct my comment to anyone, it was just a post but yet you felt like i offended you. That wasn't my intention.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #21
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

No worries, I wasn't offended. Rock on, and #savethemanuals
      10-18-2021, 09:44 PM   #22
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a manual G8x?

Because i don't. But when you hear feedback, or watch videos of unbiased reviewers test driving the car, they tell you the manual isn't good. Not because it's a manual, but because it has THAT MANUAL. It's not honda manual is what everyone points out.

Features and capabilities would be opting for the competition. We're nearing 2022 where cars have advanced so far, that you're taking a step back in the driving experience, just because you want to feel nostalgic in driving a manual.

Umm i have to backpedal a bit and just say i have a 700+hp C7Z in a manual. When i could've gotten the auto. The only difference between what i said and what i did, was that the auto in the corvette, IS GARBAGE. The manual was the only way to have less issues (no overheating), and not deal with how bad the auto is in everything other than going WOT. Which you obviously can not do 100% of your drive.

The ZF auto in the G8X is absolutely incredible. And while i haven't even drove the car, i do have experience with the ZF 8 speed. It is amazing. Lightyears ahead of what GM did for their 8 speed.

How much more is the comp over the base?

So i get 30hp more and what? 70 more ft lbs? And a more livable car that can be used daily without any headaches of the nonsense driving a manual in traffic can bring?

Sure sign me up for only an extra 3k. I'll take that any day. That's why i did.

Which can be said about you as well.

How many people have gone to the G80 from an F80 and had no regrets?

The only ones that didn't make the move yet, was because they're emotionally attached to their F80.
@BGM-M3comp

Can’t tag you, but sincerely appreciate your feedback. It’s very beneficial for me to hear from others that have been empowered to own and drive other platforms which I haven’t.

I will say, I’m not looking to straight check boxes here. It’s the subtle nuances that this chassis and powertrain provide for me (yes, I drive to and from work daily- this isn’t a weekend warrior) so the subtle nuances do matter to me on a daily basis.

No, I’m not looking to add another s2k or spec Miata to the repertoire-
As stated, I’m contemplating making a change to what I view as a potential enhancement to my current daily driver.

I see you shared that you haven’t driven a base 6MT G80… have a good one sir ��
Appreciate 0