BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
M4CXPBM
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 Comp X

Sight unseen purchases...to keep or not to keep?

Ordered a M4 comp x in pbm w/o seeing it. Still stuck at port. Anybody get it, felt disappointed for whatever reason design, paint, exhaust etc, and just went with a different car?

I'm considering a m850i coupe over m4cx right now. It just looks and sounds so much better. Coming from a v8 supercharged engine, I can't stand how m4c sounds, it reminds me of my buddy's stock civic ex from high school.

What to do what to do...
Please share your experiences esp if you bought it just to flip it right away and how that went.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Sounds like you already made the decision. Looking forward to seeing your M850.
Appreciate 4
Draper3460.50
spidy512493.00
nathanm4683.00
      10-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Sounds like you already made the decision. Looking forward to seeing your M850.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

The M850i is a COMPLETELY different car compared to the M3. I had one as a loaner for a week while they were working on my wife's X7. Couldn't give it back fast enough.

It is very fast in a straight line with a huge wave of TQ across the entire power band. The BMW V8's are really some of the best motors ever made. Compare that to the G8x where it requires a little longer to spin up and then punches you in the face. Handling was not close to comparable from a precision/feel perspective. The interior was significantly smaller as well due to the low roofline. Overall it feels like a much more grown up car.

If you like the 850i do it, but I wouldn't take delivery of the M4x unless you can figure out a way to avoid paying tax or it is a very low option car. It is 50/50 on getting your money back out.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
M4CXPBM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
The M850i is a COMPLETELY different car compared to the M3. I had one as a loaner for a week while they were working on my wife's X7. Couldn't give it back fast enough.

It is very fast in a straight line with a huge wave of TQ across the entire power band. The BMW V8's are really some of the best motors ever made. Compare that to the G8x where it requires a little longer to spin up and then punches you in the face. Handling was not close to comparable from a precision/feel perspective. The interior was significantly smaller as well due to the low roofline. Overall it feels like a much more grown up car.

If you like the 850i do it, but I wouldn't take delivery of the M4x unless you can figure out a way to avoid paying tax or it is a very low option car. It is 50/50 on getting your money back out.
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying m850i interior was smaller? I like g82, think it looks way better than its predecessor, awd is great, but I just dont know if I can live with myself paying for a 90k car that sounds like a dirt bike. If there was a solution I'd take it but I saw the vid w/akropovic on it and it still sounded terrible...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #6
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CXPBM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying m850i interior was smaller? I like g82, think it looks way better than its predecessor, awd is great, but I just dont know if I can live with myself paying for a 90k car that sounds like a dirt bike. If there was a solution I'd take it but I saw the vid w/akropovic on it and it still sounded terrible...
A few years ago I had the #1 allocation for the M8 when it came out. As soon as I sat in an 8 series I cancelled my order. It was just way too small and cramped.

Was a shame too because I really think the exterior design is stunning.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
Salespunk1745.00
      10-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
I think you're in trouble, going forward. I've heard nine million stock and horrifically altered Civics and none of them sound anything like the yes-it's-not-great-but-the-S55-was-worse S58 exhaust in the US (therefore not counting the OPF cars in Europe). Do they sound great? No. But if your bar is set at the sound of a supercharged V8, and then everything else is crap, I think you're going to be disappointed by anything other than going back to your Challenger or heavily modified Mustang.

I'm not trying troll you, but your base issue lumps the very bottom-of-the-barrel exhaust sounds from f'ed up Civics with an exhaust that sounds nothing like it (for good or ill). You clearly have one standard, and it seems to matter more than anything else...so I'd guess that the Hellcat is really the only thing that's going to meet that standard.

I've heard several M850's...and I do think they sound marginally better than the S58-equipped cars. But only marginally. And from inside the car pretty much all you hear is pumped in sound from the speakers. The M850 is a GT car, not the same thing as what the Hellcat gives you, sound-wise.

Your real trouble is that V8's are as nearly dead as manuals. Whatever you truly need to cover this one overriding standard, get it now before it's gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

The 8 series coupe is smaller inside than the M4. The backseat of the 8 is like the 911; just for show. The M4 can actually fit adults. Just something to keep know mind if you need the rear seats
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #9
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Ordered a M4 comp x in pbm w/o seeing it. Still stuck at port. Anybody get it, felt disappointed for whatever reason design, paint, exhaust etc, and just went with a different car?

I'm considering a m850i coupe over m4cx right now. It just looks and sounds so much better. Coming from a v8 supercharged engine, I can't stand how m4c sounds, it reminds me of my buddy's stock civic ex from high school.

What to do what to do...
Please share your experiences esp if you bought it just to flip it right away and how that went.
lol a C7 Z06 or a hellcat?

I have a C7 z06 and there was no way i could replace that with an M3/M4. So what i did was get an M3C to go along with it.

I do agree these cars don't sound that great stock (or even at all?), comparing to modern day V8's but it is a stout powerplant if you care about a relatively small engine that can make big power. Even stock.

I know exactly what you're going through dude as i been a V8 nut for about 2 decades. Like someone said, i think you made up your mind and because V8's are about out (thank god GM is still giving us V8's for the C8 lineup), i think you should snag a V8 car before they're all gone forever.

I do believe the next generation M3/M4 will downside with a hybrid 4cyl and later down that life cycle, will transition into a full EV. So even if you stuck with the M4, it's a short lived experience anyway.

Get that V8 man.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #10
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Sounds more like you've made a decision and you're looking for someone here to agree with you so you feel more confident in your choice.

Sound-wise: I couldn't disagree more but for personal reasons. I had the option of purchasing a used F90 M5 a few days ago (and driving it immediately today) vs. a completely individualised M3 that I'm now waiting 4-6 months for (I'm a very impatient person too), and I opted for the G80 with little hesitation. I don't like V8's - I like screaming 6 cylinder engines. I didn't have much interest in the sound of the G80 until I heard a modified one:

I much prefer the howl and wailing of a turbo I6 than a turbo V8. I have yet to hear a BMW derived F/I V8 that sounds amazing. Looks are completely subjective too.. I personally would rather an 8 series over a 4 series, but I need 4 doors; so my choices were: new tailored to my desired G80 M3, used F90 M5, or M850i Gran Coupe - I chose the G80. Tough to beat a 6MT at the end of the day.

If you really don't like the sound of BMW's twin turbo 6 and don't like the styling of the M4.. then you already have your answer as to what to do.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
RingRing135.00
      10-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #11
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:

What to do what to do...

Bought it just to flip it? Those people are the scourge of the universe. Instead of making a few bucks - you shouldn't have ordered the car.

SMH
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #12
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Have you thought about a ct5v blackwing
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      10-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #13
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
ADM on those cars is $25K+ right now
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:05 PM   #14
RingRing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 G82 6MT DG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Sounds more like you've made a decision and you're looking for someone here to agree with you so you feel more confident in your choice.

Sound-wise: I couldn't disagree more but for personal reasons. I had the option of purchasing a used F90 M5 a few days ago (and driving it immediately today) vs. a completely individualised M3 that I'm now waiting 4-6 months for (I'm a very impatient person too), and I opted for the G80 with little hesitation. I don't like V8's - I like screaming 6 cylinder engines. I didn't have much interest in the sound of the G80 until I heard a modified one:

I much prefer the howl and wailing of a turbo I6 than a turbo V8. I have yet to hear a BMW derived F/I V8 that sounds amazing. Looks are completely subjective too.. I personally would rather an 8 series over a 4 series, but I need 4 doors; so my choices were: new tailored to my desired G80 M3, used F90 M5, or M850i Gran Coupe - I chose the G80. Tough to beat a 6MT at the end of the day.

If you really don't like the sound of BMW's twin turbo 6 and don't like the styling of the M4.. then you already have your answer as to what to do.
Couldn't agree more.

I personal like the sound of this inline six. To me it has the same sound as some of the older BMW inline 6 and Jag 6's I hear at the vintage races. Just quieter of course.

I don't remember hearing that in the other BMW I6 engines over the last 20 years.

I too love a V8. Just the older NA ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #15
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post

This.

The LT4 is a monster. Bulletproof and incredibly reliable.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #16
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
The interior is significantly smaller for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #17
Bimmer TiM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition

Drove the M8 in SC on delivery day. Drove M2, M4, M5 and M8. M2 was least impressive but M8 is a close second. Felt like a heavy bag of dirt.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 12:41 AM   #18
_E90S65_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

OP, better change your username then.

2011.5 E90 M3 Silverstone / Black (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #19
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Drove M8, M4, M3 back to back on track yesterday and I'd definitely take the G8X platform over the M8 in terms of driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #20
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

I was in your same shoes. Frustrated that my car took about 6 months to receive from the time my order went in. I was also alittle pissed that people were just receiving 22s and I didnt have my 21 yet. But once I received the car all the frustration was immediately gone. I was coming from a 2018 F80 comp 6 speed. The G80 6speed exceeded all my expectations. My initial plan after my F80 was to hop into a 991.2 GT3. But the prices of those have shot up like crazy. So when I got a deal under msrp to order a G80 I jumped on it to bridge the gap til used car prices come back to reality in a few years. But the G80 is such a great car in all aspects that Im now unsure I will get rid of her for a GT3 now. For me personally I would not be satisfied with a M850 as my fun car. It would make a great daily, but being a big car and not being a full M with everything that comes with a M car would still leave me lusting for the M3.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50
      10-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #21
M4CXPBM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
lol a C7 Z06 or a hellcat?

I have a C7 z06 and there was no way i could replace that with an M3/M4. So what i did was get an M3C to go along with it.

I do agree these cars don't sound that great stock (or even at all?), comparing to modern day V8's but it is a stout powerplant if you care about a relatively small engine that can make big power. Even stock.

I know exactly what you're going through dude as i been a V8 nut for about 2 decades. Like someone said, i think you made up your mind and because V8's are about out (thank god GM is still giving us V8's for the C8 lineup), i think you should snag a V8 car before they're all gone forever.

I do believe the next generation M3/M4 will downside with a hybrid 4cyl and later down that life cycle, will transition into a full EV. So even if you stuck with the M4, it's a short lived experience anyway.

Get that V8 man.
No vette or hc, I got one of them euro v8s lol. When i turn my car on right now in the garage that initial deep vroom its so lovely. This new covid doing of biz is so frustrating cuz I can't drive the damn thing. I think I'll take delivery, drive it around, if I absolutely hate it, which I doubt, I'll sell it and take a couple grand hit. My trade in is worth a lot so taxes won't be a huge issue.
Appreciate 2
Salespunk1745.00
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      10-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #22
M4CXPBM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
I was in your same shoes. Frustrated that my car took about 6 months to receive from the time my order went in. I was also alittle pissed that people were just receiving 22s and I didnt have my 21 yet. But once I received the car all the frustration was immediately gone. I was coming from a 2018 F80 comp 6 speed. The G80 6speed exceeded all my expectations. My initial plan after my F80 was to hop into a 991.2 GT3. But the prices of those have shot up like crazy. So when I got a deal under msrp to order a G80 I jumped on it to bridge the gap til used car prices come back to reality in a few years. But the G80 is such a great car in all aspects that Im now unsure I will get rid of her for a GT3 now. For me personally I would not be satisfied with a M850 as my fun car. It would make a great daily, but being a big car and not being a full M with everything that comes with a M car would still leave me lusting for the M3.
Getting 21s when 22s are rolling out that truly sucks. I thought about getting a 911 or a vette but there's a year wait and/or +10-30k mkt adjustment on it which is same as stealing esp if its a franchised dealership so that was a no. Most likely will take delivery and see how it goes. It finally went "in transit" today so it shouldn't be too much longer.
Appreciate 3
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
Seedster2279.00