BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #551
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACA View Post
This is definitely the dilemma that I currently have, my car is in the dealership and I haven't taken delivery, and no matter how much I call them, they tell me that they don't know anything.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28122471

I imagine if they fix it this will not appear in the carfax, right? I have thought about requesting a refund and looking for another car in the same price range but there is nothing on the market that catches my attention, this M4 is definitely exactly what I wanted.

What will you do?

thanks
Unfortunately, there's a pretty good chance that a pre-delivery fix for the engine issue will show up on carfax, and the vehicle's BMW service history etc. Particularly for cars fixed at the dealership (as opposed to if BMW were to haul it back to the VPC or BMW's US factory to have the work done, which seems unlikely - or for cars that don't make it to the dealership, if BMW fixes them before ever leaving the VPC, perhaps that will be different).

In the past, I once took delivery of an over-optioned in-stock vehicle that, not surprisingly, sat on the lot for a few hundred days. Among the other conditions of the sale included a fresh battery (and a sweet enough discount for me to take it off their hands). Sure enough, that battery replacement, charging system service etc. showed up on carfax. I've also had a few other similar experiences, and have learned that if a dealer does it and keeps a record of it, it shows on carfax.

Not saying whether or not I think it will impair the medium- or long-term resale value of these cars. We have another discussion going on this forum where some think it will, some think it won't. But I do think the fixes will show on the record for these cars.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13412.50
MACA95.50
      10-15-2021, 10:25 PM   #552
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
So my car isn't part of the recall but I feel for all that are. I just spoke to a good friend of mine that was a mechanic for BMW for 15 years and did a lot of these type of recalls. He said "it's not that big of a job and they way they do it doesn't require the engine to be pulled". Hope that helps a little.
I really hope that is the case man. I highly doubt the engine will stay in during the procedure but any wishful thinking can help. Should ask your friend to clarify on how an engine “in” replacement can be done for the main bearings. Also, I hope he was not confusing it with the rod bearings because those can probably be replaced with the engine in.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13412.50
      10-15-2021, 10:44 PM   #553
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

Quote:
This is definitely the dilemma that I currently have, my car is in the dealership and I haven't taken delivery, and no matter how much I call them, they tell me that they don't know anything.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28122471

I imagine if they fix it this will not appear in the carfax, right? I have thought about requesting a refund and looking for another car in the same price range but there is nothing on the market that catches my attention, this M4 is definitely exactly what I wanted.

What will you do?

thanks
In the same situation as you are in buddy. I should have my car in the garage by now. Not sure about the carfax situation. I decided to just wait until bmw announces something.

Honestly if it isn't for it being a little more expensive and slower than the m3 I seriously would considered the audi rs5 as my plan b car. They are pretty similar in specs although the g80 is proven to be faster and better in handling. But I think the RS5 looks better IMO.

Last edited by Murse85; 10-15-2021 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
MACA95.50
      10-16-2021, 12:00 AM   #554
NSG332
Private
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C43 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by g80 Portimaoblue View Post
In the same situation as you are in buddy. I should have my car in the garage by now. Not sure about the carfax situation. I decided to just wait until bmw announces something.

Honestly if it isn't for it being a little more expensive and slower than the m3 I seriously would considered the audi rs5 as my plan b car. They are pretty similar in specs although the g80 is proven to be faster and better in handling. But I think the RS5 looks better IMO.
Same position as you guys. Car is currently sitting at the dealership and is one of the cars affected by the engine stop sale. Fortunately don’t absolutely need the practicality of a 4 door vehicle and being one of the few people who likes the exterior of the C8, I’m seriously considering that vehicle (will have to pay above sticker unfortunately) but waiting till I can find the exact spec I want.

If the G80 comes available before I get my hands on a C8 I like, then I’ll have some tough decisions to make *first world problems*

Having already waited 7 months for this car - an additional few months for a potential fix in addition to a scarlet letter on the car’s history just doesn’t sit well with me for a car over $85k.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 03:38 AM   #555
mstinson15
Registered
Rep
Drives: searching......

I ordered my G80 while in Germany with the military sales program. I’m stuck on status 155 and just waiting for the factory to deliver to the dealer since it’s already built. The military sales folks keep telling me BMW has not even mentioned this issue, and they know nothing about it. They can’t even get the company to give them details which seems odd. I already paid for the car in full and if it can’t be delivered after a 5 month wait im undecided what to do. My vin showed unaffected , but the dealer can’t confirm anything until it’s actually delivered. I was hoping for this week or next but I’m in the dark currently. Not sure if asking for a full refund is even a possibility, or if I even want to do that if it came down to it. Just hoping for a bit of transparency soon. The price point I was able to get the car at is well below MSRP, so I really hope this turns out ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #556
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSG332 View Post
Same position as you guys. Car is currently sitting at the dealership and is one of the cars affected by the engine stop sale. Fortunately don’t absolutely need the practicality of a 4 door vehicle and being one of the few people who likes the exterior of the C8, I’m seriously considering that vehicle (will have to pay above sticker unfortunately) but waiting till I can find the exact spec I want.

If the G80 comes available before I get my hands on a C8 I like, then I’ll have some tough decisions to make *first world problems*

Having already waited 7 months for this car - an additional few months for a potential fix in addition to a scarlet letter on the car’s history just doesn’t sit well with me for a car over $85k.
Ha! I'm dropping my C8 off at the dealer today (Pre-trade) and waiting from my M4Cx - Build week 43. I had fun with the C8 the past year, but enjoyed the interior of my wife's X5 so much more combined with strong urge to convert the value of the C8 into something while it still as it... Paid $80 got $94 for the trade.

If you go C8 you'll like it - For me too much attention and long term it wasn't for me.
Appreciate 3
NSG33238.50
dezzracer1182.50
      10-16-2021, 08:44 AM   #557
Chava777
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3C X

The UK BMW VIN lookup page is back up again, still not showing the bearing recall. i show no open recalls and my vehicle is still stuck at the VPC. The lack of transparency and information is bothering me more than the issue itself. All so very frustrating.
Appreciate 1
NSG33238.50
      10-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #558
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava777 View Post
The UK BMW VIN lookup page is back up again, still not showing the bearing recall. i show no open recalls and my vehicle is still stuck at the VPC. The lack of transparency and information is bothering me more than the issue itself. All so very frustrating.
Yup. Back up and now showing no open recalls. Definitely odd.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #559
MACA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Blk/Silv Comp. Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
Unfortunately, there's a pretty good chance that a pre-delivery fix for the engine issue will show up on carfax, and the vehicle's BMW service history etc. Particularly for cars fixed at the dealership (as opposed to if BMW were to haul it back to the VPC or BMW's US factory to have the work done, which seems unlikely - or for cars that don't make it to the dealership, if BMW fixes them before ever leaving the VPC, perhaps that will be different).

In the past, I once took delivery of an over-optioned in-stock vehicle that, not surprisingly, sat on the lot for a few hundred days. Among the other conditions of the sale included a fresh battery (and a sweet enough discount for me to take it off their hands). Sure enough, that battery replacement, charging system service etc. showed up on carfax. I've also had a few other similar experiences, and have learned that if a dealer does it and keeps a record of it, it shows on carfax.

Not saying whether or not I think it will impair the medium- or long-term resale value of these cars. We have another discussion going on this forum where some think it will, some think it won't. But I do think the fixes will show on the record for these cars.

Definitely the fact that all this recall will appear on the carfax of my car would be a break deal with BMW, it is unthinkable for me to buy a car that will immediately have a depreciation factor higher than normal.

I'm just asking my dealership this.

Last edited by MACA; 10-16-2021 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #560
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Seems like the S58 isn't as bullet proof, yet as all the S55 crank hub chicken littles claimed it was.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #561
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Quote:
Definitely the fact that all this recall in the carfax of my car would be the pretext to break the deal with BMW, it is unthinkable for me to buy a car that will immediately have a depreciation factor higher than normal.

I'm just asking my dealership this.

Unfortunately, open re-calls do not inhibit a cars value. Being in the car business for as long as I have been we have to fix the recall. However with thousands of recalls each day from things like a tire jack being in the wrong place, to lifters failing, it does not create a depreciation hit. Otherwise most manufactures would go out of business.

Most the people (aside from forum members), the majority don't ask if a car has been recalled. It is something that is also not typically disclosed.

I think those who intend to keep it don't worry about the depreciation hit. The car is fixed in an OEM setting despite it being unsettling ... hopefully it helps?
Appreciate 2
MACA95.50
      10-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #562
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Seems like the S58 isn't as bullet proof, yet as all the S55 crank hub chicken littles claimed it was.

How do you figure? This isn't a recall on all S58 powered vehicles?

It only effects about vehicles between a month of production. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to come to the conclusion that if it doesn't effect the entire range of vehicles during the entire lifetime and only this narrow group that this problem stems from incorrectly manufactured parts or incorrectly assembled parts/engine....
Appreciate 3
Sbm007612.50
      10-16-2021, 12:54 PM   #563
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMO91 View Post

It only effects about vehicles between a month of production. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to come to the conclusion that if it doesn't effect the entire range of vehicles during the entire lifetime and only this narrow group that this problem stems from incorrectly manufactured parts or incorrectly assembled parts/engine....
That exactly how I would describe the crank hub issue. But you wouldn't.

Last edited by omasou; 10-17-2021 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #564
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mghost View Post
Unfortunately, open re-calls do not inhibit a cars value. Being in the car business for as long as I have been we have to fix the recall. However with thousands of recalls each day from things like a tire jack being in the wrong place, to lifters failing, it does not create a depreciation hit. Otherwise most manufactures would go out of business.

Most the people (aside from forum members), the majority don't ask if a car has been recalled. It is something that is also not typically disclosed.

I think those who intend to keep it don't worry about the depreciation hit. The car is fixed in an OEM setting despite it being unsettling ... hopefully it helps?
What was said, except the op meant “fortunately” the recalls have no bearing on value and is absolutely correct.

Would hazard a guess that they will repair any they can at VPC unless some got released to the dealer to avoid paying all the warranty labor. Probably also a long block swap too to save time and ship the potential bad ones back to the homeland.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #565
edofloat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMO91 View Post

This.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 01:41 PM   #566
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
Quote:

What was said, except the op meant "fortunately" the recalls have no bearing on value and is absolutely correct.

Would hazard a guess that they will repair any they can at VPC unless some got released to the dealer to avoid paying all the warranty labor. Probably also a long block swap too to save time and ship the potential bad ones back to the homeland.
If BMW just recalled what was at stores this would not cause as much chaos
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5891.50
      10-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #567
edofloat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You’re not wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #568
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Interesting story - that they only stopping cars at the dealer to be delivered.
Rest of us can continue driving our cars - some people without even knowing about recall.
Some users track their cars extensively subjecting the engine to high loads. Hopefully its done with better oil vs stock, but besides the point -

by not stopping us from driving hard on track - BMW just going with the philosophy - if it fails - we will replace it vs replacing it before anything happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:14 PM   #569
Gotta_Go_Fast
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C xDrive, 13 STI (Hatch)

I'm just catching up on all this, definitely out of the loop. Apologies in advance if this was already answered in a previous post but are the recall status sites still showing if purchased cars are affected or not? Mine is showing that it isn't affected by the recall but my production date of my G82 was 8/24, which falls within the range. I'm at close to 300 miles so haven't taken it in for break in service yet…
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #570
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

I can fix everyone's problems in here…. Instead of worrying just let me break your car in for you and I promise you'll never have another issue again..🤣

Break in service doesn't exist over here 😂
      10-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #571
SuzakuJones
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 m3 competition xdrive

Mine is 7/21 with a production date of 07/22/21 but no recall open on the uk page for my car sooo 🙃
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #572
SuzakuJones
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 m3 competition xdrive

🙃 welp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0