BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #485
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audicy View Post
So, I picked up my 2022 M4 Comp on October 9th around noon. I went in yesterday to thank my sales guy and ask a simple question to which he said... :There is a stop sale/delivery on your car so you cant leave here with it".

After he told me what it was for, I said, But you delivered it like 4 days ago. I'm not leaving it until I hear from BMW.

Manager agreed and said they would contact me once they had more information. The dealership actually got the Stop Delivery the day before on the 8th, but nobody read it so BMW wont release the funds to them and complete the sale.

So now it is sitting in my driveway and me not knowing if I should be driving it or not, should I demand to return it or not or if Im even affected or not. The car does fall into the build date frame for the issue.

This sure out a serious damper on my excitement for a car I waited 10 months for.
Whoa! So you drive the car home and when you went by a dealership they tried to not let you leave with the car? That's pretty crazy. I'm glad you didn't take their word for it.

I would drive the car as normal. It's their problem either way

If you don't want to have to deal with the repair then you'd be well Within your rights to hand it back
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #486
Audicy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Whoa! So you drive the car home and when you went by a dealership they tried to not let you leave with the car? That's pretty crazy. I'm glad you didn't take their word for it.

If you don't want to have to deal with the repair then you'd be well Within your rights to hand it back
Yup, exactly what happened. They messed up and shouldn't have delivered it, but they did. Either way it sucks for me.

I don't understand why BMW is taking so long to give us details and answers. We all need to know how to proceed.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #487
mgokev
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post

Yup, exactly what happened. They messed up and shouldn't have delivered it, but they did. Either way it sucks for me.

I don't understand why BMW is taking so long to give us details and answers. We all need to know how to proceed.
Think of it this way, if it's catastrophic you can just take your car back and tell BMW corporate they should've never sold it to you so it's not your problem.

In the meantime enjoy your car with zero risk!
2008 BMW 135i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #488
Audicy
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgokev View Post
Think of it this way, if it's catastrophic you can just take your car back and tell BMW corporate they should've never sold it to you so it's not your problem.

In the meantime enjoy your car with zero risk!
True, but trying to be somewhat cooperative as my sales guy is also a neighbor lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #489
Yudi168
Registered
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 21 F98 X4MC, 22 G80 M3C (inc)

right steering wheel (south east asia) g80 car still in VPC
its gone on alex's site but it is still there after checking with my SA
scheduled delivery october , my SA said no updates yet ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #490
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:

Thats going to be a difficult situation for your dealer. I hope you end up with an outcome which is favorable for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #491
eclipsenf
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ct View Post
My car is effected by the recall. I'm selling it now. So disappointed. I don't trust a tech to take apart a brand new engine. And once that repair shows up in carfax the value is going to tank. This is horrible news!
Calm your tits brother, we still have to see what the official issue is first. I don't blame you for not wanting a brand new rebuilt engine though, many of us feel the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #492
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mghost View Post
My GM at the store I purchased from called yesterday regarding my X4M. He's good friends with me so this is what was discussed.

BMW states these cars are drivable for those affected. If you haven't taken delivery of the vehicle by a dealerships perspective (RDR = reporting a vehicle), and have the deal funded via BMWFS or whomever, then your vehicle can not be sold.

I was offered a concession via BMW for 4 months to be paid for the car. However, I feel for that given tHe situation it's hard to "enjoy" the car inevitably knowing that it will have to eventually go back to get the main bearings replaced, or the engine. If they offered a supplementary warranty maybe I could warm up to the idea. However, 13 miles on the clock — doesn't sit right.

So my dealership will let me know if we switch gears to maybe ordering an x6m instead.

Kinda bummed as there was product installed on the car and I order an exhaust and parts only for literally a day after the bulletin to appear. Crappy timing.

I'm also bummed because I ordered a couple of parts from a vendor on here and now will be charged $1000+ for a 20% restocking fee on parts that are still in the box.

So it's been "fun" rollercoaster this go around
WOW

they offered you 5 thousand dollars>? Interesting. Are they anticipating it taking 4 months to fix with current parts shortage?
Or a value degrade by 5K

Take the money. Drive the car for 4 months for free - in the meantime order another car. Trade this one in at the end of 4 months.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #493
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Quote:
My GM at the store I purchased from called yesterday regarding my X4M. He's good friends with me so this is what was discussed.

BMW states these cars are drivable for those affected. If you haven't taken delivery of the vehicle by a dealerships perspective (RDR = reporting a vehicle), and have the deal funded via BMWFS or whomever, then your vehicle can not be sold.

I was offered a concession via BMW for 4 months to be paid for the car. However, I feel for that given tHe situation it's hard to "enjoy" the car inevitably knowing that it will have to eventually go back to get the main bearings replaced, or the engine. If they offered a supplementary warranty maybe I could warm up to the idea. However, 13 miles on the clock — doesn't sit right.

So my dealership will let me know if we switch gears to maybe ordering an x6m instead.

Kinda bummed as there was product installed on the car and I order an exhaust and parts only for literally a day after the bulletin to appear. Crappy timing.

I'm also bummed because I ordered a couple of parts from a vendor on here and now will be charged $1000+ for a 20% restocking fee on parts that are still in the box.

WOW

they offered you 5 thousand dollars>? Interesting. Are they anticipating it taking 4 months to fix with current parts shortage?
Or a value degrade by 5K

Take the money. Drive the car for 4 months for free - in the meantime order another car. Trade this one in at the end of 4 months.

My friend will most likely order me an x6m at $1000 above cost
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5893.00
      10-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #494
NSG332
Private
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C43 AMG

Quote:

Damn 4 months!? Makes me wonder if this will be a similar time frame for the M3's that haven't been delivered yet/sitting at dealerships...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #495
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Quote:

WOW

Or a value degrade by 5K

$2500
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #496
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

I'm sorry for everyone that's going through this, particularly folks who have already taken delivery (before the news dropped late last week)! I don't yet have a firm sense of whether or not my on-a-vessel G80 is afflicted - "production date" according to VIN decoders is literally 9/23 (the last day of the window).

As we all keep thinking through the what-ifs of the situation, I'm curious what you all think about the following... Let's say someone doesn't take delivery because of the main bearing delivery stop, they get their deposit back, and walk away. The vehicle presumably sits for months at the VPC (or the dealer, for those few cars in that situation). Then gets fixed and sent to the dealers around the country, presumably injecting a few dozen or so readily-available 2022 M3s and M4s into circulation.

If we think it's likely that impulse (or delay-frustrated) buyers will pay MSRP for those immediately-available cars in the spring once fixed, then perhaps BMW and dealers will be OK with people walking away now (and a $2,500 token offer now seems consistent with that, when there's probably $8-10k+ profit in these cars for the dealer alone). Someone will pay interest, insurance costs and storage during that time - the manufacturer and/or the dealers - but that's probably not a huge number per affected unit.

If we think it's likely that these will be Scarlet-Letter cars, however, then perhaps BMW will be more incentivized to really deal now in order to get the intended buyers to take delivery anyway...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #497
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
I'm sorry for everyone that's going through this, particularly folks who have already taken delivery (before the news dropped late last week)! I don't yet have a firm sense of whether or not my on-a-vessel G80 is afflicted - "production date" according to VIN decoders is literally 9/23 (the last day of the window).

As we all keep thinking through the what-ifs of the situation, I'm curious what you all think about the following... Let's say someone doesn't take delivery because of the main bearing delivery stop, they get their deposit back, and walk away. The vehicle presumably sits for months at the VPC (or the dealer, for those few cars in that situation). Then gets fixed and sent to the dealers around the country, presumably injecting a few dozen or so readily-available 2022 M3s and M4s into circulation.

If we think it's likely that impulse (or delay-frustrated) buyers will pay MSRP for those immediately-available cars in the spring once fixed, then perhaps BMW and dealers will be OK with people walking away now (and a $2,500 token offer now seems consistent with that, when there's probably $8-10k+ profit in these cars for the dealer alone). Someone will pay interest, insurance costs and storage during that time - the manufacturer and/or the dealers - but that's probable not a huge number per affected unit.

If we think it's likely that these will be Scarlet-Letter cars, however, then perhaps BMW will be more incentivized to really deal now in order to get the intended buyers to take delivery anyway...
I don't see this potential issue having any negative effect on future sales. If the buyers who don't yet have these cars back out, and they're ultimately fixed, these cars will be gone in a matter of hours/days once they are fixed and will be sold without issue. The members of this forum who would not take the car, return the car, etc., are likely in the vast majority.

I, of course, am not looking forward to the fix, but not once has this caused me to contemplate returning/selling/getting out of my car.

Just my $.02.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #498
Osiris888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Based on previous recalls of this type the entire engine was replaced.

Not with a rebuilt engine, but a brand new engine.

So looking on the bright side, after driving for 3 - 6 mos affected cars will get kind of a 'do over' with a brand new engine, run in service etc.

As this seems to be something that has happened with many previous generations of M cars one can look to see if historically it has resulted in any issue with resale down the road. It doesn't appear that way.

just my contribution.....
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #499
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, Knighted and Osiris. I'm inclined to agree with you both. If BMW feels that way too, perhaps affected owners/buyers should be ready for lukewarm incentives to make this "right".

Although like everything else in life, once the cars are fixed (and without scars from the surgery), we'll all probably look back on this and hopefully laugh (while posting great pics of our cars and writing about fantastic weekend drives on our favorite roads).

And once M3s and 4s are electric...we'll all be lamenting about the good old days when we even had main bearings...
Appreciate 1
NSG33238.50
      10-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #500
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Knighted and Osiris. I'm inclined to agree with you both. If BMW feels that way too, perhaps affected owners/buyers should be ready for lukewarm incentives to make this "right".

Although like everything else in life, once the cars are fixed (and without scars from the surgery), we'll all probably look back on this and hopefully laugh (while posting great pics of our cars and writing about fantastic weekend drives on our favorite roads).

And once M3s and 4s are electric...we'll all be lamenting about the good old days when we even had main bearings...
Lol. Yea...we may not get our pound of flesh that many people here think we/they deserve. I'm of the mindset to wait and see what's what before the pitchforks come out. We haven't even been notified yet and those that have dealer/BMW contacts have been told they can keep driving the cars.

Let's just wait and see how it all shakes out (aside from the one dude that was already selling his car over this).

But I agree...in this market, I wouldn't expect any MAJOR incentives. Not saying there won't be any concessions made, but those that think they're getting a check from BMW or some other nonsense are crazy.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #501
Audicy
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Exactly why I wanted this car and will forever keep my Ferrari 355.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #502
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exactly why I wanted this car and will forever keep my Ferrari 355.
Not to get too off topic, but I'm still kicking myself for selling my '19 yellow Z06 manual, totally dialed-in and rolling on some beautiful Forgelines... we'll always be able to get cars like this, I told myself, and at huge discounts (like anyone who shopped for a C7 vette in 2019 remembers...).

Lesson learned (which I should have learned a dozen-plus fun cars ago...)!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #503
m3ct
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsenf View Post
Quote:
My car is effected by the recall. I'm selling it now. So disappointed. I don't trust a tech to take apart a brand new engine. And once that repair shows up in carfax the value is going to tank. This is horrible news!
Calm your tits brother, we still have to see what the official issue is first. I don't blame you for not wanting a brand new rebuilt engine though, many of us feel the same.
I just sold it for 6k over msrp, walked away just about even. I've been through this before and it's not worth it.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #504
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

I would be *very* surprised if the fix was an engine rebuild. The failure rate due to the rebuild itself, may not be much better than the failure rate attributed to bad bearing shells without a rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #505
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So, I picked up my 2022 M4 Comp on October 9th around noon. I went in yesterday to thank my sales guy and ask a simple question to which he said... :There is a stop sale/delivery on your car so you cant leave here with it".

After he told me what it was for, I said, But you delivered it like 4 days ago. I'm not leaving it until I hear from BMW.

Manager agreed and said they would contact me once they had more information. The dealership actually got the Stop Delivery the day before on the 8th, but nobody read it so BMW wont release the funds to them and complete the sale.

So now it is sitting in my driveway and me not knowing if I should be driving it or not, should I demand to return it or not or if Im even affected or not. The car does fall into the build date frame for the issue.

This sure out a serious damper on my excitement for a car I waited 10 months for.

Coming from a sales manager, you can't be pissed.

YOU TOOK THE CAR HOME. I don't know why in your right mind you would take the car knowing there is a stop sale.

To answer your question, this is a stop sale, not a stop drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #506
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just sold it for 6k over msrp, walked away just about even. I've been through this before and it's not worth it.
Glad you're happy. If this turns out to be a nothing burger are you going to be happy that you moved on before having any info whatsoever? Onto the next for you I guess.
Appreciate 1
savi01134.50