SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
How would jb4 be visible to the dealer if you take it out before visiting them?
They claim it's not and its very difficult to find anyone who can prove otherwise or has been voided after removing it. Also very easy to find reports of flash tunes who have been voided. Either way it's always hotly debated. The last person I saw on here who got voided for JB4 was because he posted about it on facebook and the dealership pulled his facebook posts and handed them back to him when he tried to make a claim.
They can't just void your warranty for everything cause you tune the car! I've had 2-3 things wrong with my F-82 and never had them mention the tune. One was the oil cooler And had a suspension issue prior to the JRZ's going on. I have never un-tuned the car. The tune has to be what made that certain issue happen for them to break your balls. When I spun my hub, I knew I was paying out of pocket. Never once tried to take the tune off to trick them. So just cause you tune your car, don't let them tell you they can't fix most issues. That's BS!!!!!
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 05:58 PM   #68
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMO91 View Post
The ECU is like a black box, once they check it, they can see all the parameters and see you ran outside the factory parameters, adding boost, etc etc. Zero way around this.
Are you suggesting the ecu is logging every parameter and the dealer just pulls up the last log file from a few days ago? That seems like an assumption, otherwise i'd like to see that proven.
And lets say the ecu did log boost and they would see that it was running 10psi above, they would check the wastegate duty cycle log and see its operating within spec, the jb4 is altering the duty cycle after the ecu sends the command. In this case they would assume the wastegate actuator is faulty or the map sensor is faulty and replace either or both and test from there.
It would definitely be a head scratcher for the technician because the jb4 isn't there, he can't blame the owner based on an assumption without any proof. The car ran 10psi higher than it should have, logs say everything was working fine, owner is to blame... i don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #69
Odinsrighthand
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, G80 M3C

Some of the crazy stuff I see here is insane. I am a BMW tech, no one is looking at logs to see if you had exceeded a certain acceleration or torque value. No one is looking to see if a boost value was ever exceeded, or if ignition timing was ever advanced beyond a certain limit. I'm not sure where these conspiracies come from. Can that data be pulled up? Yes but not by a dealership, you'd have to have an insane claim or be acting pretty shady for any of that to be looked into. There are certainly cases where you will be automatically flagged from flash tunes when data is transmitted via ISTA to BMW but realistically if you're just using a piggy back and you pull it off before going in it's not likely you'll have any issues. Now that's not a guarantee, so don't come at me if you get a claim denied it's all at your own risk. But these crazy ideas that a tech is gonna waste his flat rate time to deny your claim is pretty wild.
Appreciate 10
mattburks750.50
Gfit2707.00
eddesq16.50
euro*1657.50
MikeM6148.00
      09-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #70
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

They wouldn't see boost was 10psi above since the JB4 connects to and alters the signals for both boost sensors. They'd see boost is at factory levels.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #71
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Have they not became “woke” enough in just seeing if someone has tapped into or altered any code or timing/boost level/ Hp tq # etc…?

I know if it were my company I would invest in said approach..

For context: ^^^ says me who is installing JB4 on Tuesday!!!

Let’er rip tater chip mindset for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #72
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinsrighthand View Post
Some of the crazy stuff I see here is insane. I am a BMW tech, no one is looking at logs to see if you had exceeded a certain acceleration or torque value. No one is looking to see if a boost value was ever exceeded, or if ignition timing was ever advanced beyond a certain limit. I'm not sure where these conspiracies come from. Can that data be pulled up? Yes but not by a dealership, you'd have to have an insane claim or be acting pretty shady for any of that to be looked into. There are certainly cases where you will be automatically flagged from flash tunes when data is transmitted via ISTA to BMW but realistically if you're just using a piggy back and you pull it off before going in it's not likely you'll have any issues. Now that's not a guarantee, so don't come at me if you get a claim denied it's all at your own risk. But these crazy ideas that a tech is gonna waste his flat rate time to deny your claim is pretty wild.
I agree with most of your points. I said before, no normal tech gives 2 shits what you have done to the car. Just the same, the tech will not be able to help you if you blow something up. When I spun my hub I told them I wanted it fixed ASAP. They could not touch the car till a BMW something came to diagnose what happened. They know the car was tuned. I told them I expected no warranty anything and just fix it. It took 7-8 days for the guy to come and check out the problem. For the 1,000 th time. If you tune the car, with anything and have a catastrophic failure. You are fucked my friend. So anyone reading all these threads and are on the fence, just know this is how it will go down. BMW is not going to build you a new engine without looking at every parameter of what was happening. Good luck
Appreciate 4
Salespunk1745.00
LSM1118.00
chris7197331.50
330iToy71.00
      09-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #73
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
They can't just void your warranty for everything cause you tune the car! I've had 2-3 things wrong with my F-82 and never had them mention the tune. One was the oil cooler And had a suspension issue prior to the JRZ's going on. I have never un-tuned the car. The tune has to be what made that certain issue happen for them to break your balls. When I spun my hub, I knew I was paying out of pocket. Never once tried to take the tune off to trick them. So just cause you tune your car, don't let them tell you they can't fix most issues. That's BS!!!!!
Quote:
You would be surprised. Like I said before, it depends on the dealer.

There are a lot of techs that will void warranty for things like an intake even without a tune. Someone on the F30 forums got his warranty voided because he swapped OEM staggered tires on his xdrive car and they claimed that caused the transfer case to fail. And of course I mentioned my dealer experience above.

So you really can't assume that what works for one person works for everyone, or how one dealer handles warranties is how all dealers handle it. They can easily see simple things like rev limit exceeded, maf limits exceeded, etc. that would trigger more investigation. Even a 10-plug piggyback doesen't modify everything. It just depends on who you're working with and how thorough they chose to be.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #74
0Camus0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021 Base / Supra 2020

Can we make a rule at mod level maybe, to stop talking about the "warranty voided - not voided" subject?

Most threads start talking about something and then end up with pages and pages about this subject, it's always the case and it happens in every forum.

Maybe would be better to have a pinned thread for that specific subject and avoid the noise.

Now I can't recall the last comment on this thread related to the actual tune.
Appreciate 8
alipor25.50
mattburks750.50
F85MTuNED1620.50
Ibiza3596.00
tarrant64116.00
Patton2502938.00
Medal480.00
      09-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #75
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
They claim it's not and its very difficult to find anyone who can prove otherwise or has been voided after removing it. Also very easy to find reports of flash tunes who have been voided. Either way it's always hotly debated. The last person I saw on here who got voided for JB4 was because he posted about it on facebook and the dealership pulled his facebook posts and handed them back to him when he tried to make a claim.
Wait, this is great, do you have a link, I need to read it.
Appreciate 1
forcefed2544.50
      09-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #76
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Back on track, any dyno numbers yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #77
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Camus0 View Post
Can we make a rule at mod level maybe, to stop talking about the "warranty voided - not voided" subject?

Most threads start talking about something and then end up with pages and pages about this subject, it's always the case and it happens in every forum.

Maybe would be better to have a pinned thread for that specific subject and avoid the noise.

This!
      09-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #78
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

This is great news.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #79
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
Quote:

This!
Yes please!! Kills the entire thread…
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #80
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
I read the thread in the FB group, not sure how to post a link unless you're part of the group. Search I'm sure you'll find it.
Appreciate 1
330iToy71.00
      09-28-2021, 04:25 PM   #81
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wait I can't add 100hp, run high 9s, then expect the dealer to repair anything I break in the process?
Appreciate 3
Medal480.00
Remonster824.00
stefan2349.50
      09-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #82
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with most of your points. I said before, no normal tech gives 2 shits what you have done to the car. Just the same, the tech will not be able to help you if you blow something up. When I spun my hub I told them I wanted it fixed ASAP. They could not touch the car till a BMW something came to diagnose what happened. They know the car was tuned. I told them I expected no warranty anything and just fix it. It took 7-8 days for the guy to come and check out the problem. For the 1,000 th time. If you tune the car, with anything and have a catastrophic failure. You are fucked my friend. So anyone reading all these threads and are on the fence, just know this is how it will go down. BMW is not going to build you a new engine without looking at every parameter of what was happening. Good luck
Which leads me to the question of "why does one need to crack into anything on these cars any "tune" them? For Christ sakes man, are you not getting enough power for a $80,000 car?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #83
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
Which leads me to the question of "why does one need to crack into anything on these cars any "tune" them? For Christ sakes man, are you not getting enough power for a $80,000 car?
SCS55
It’s rather simple, perceived power thresholds are rather subjective & money will ALWAYS be relative.

Not everyone who tunes their car has improper expectations if/when things need attention.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24977.50
      09-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #84
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, there is never enough power! I wish my car was only $80,000🤣

This is great news, hopefully an early Xmas gift will be via OBDII. 🎄
mattburks750.50
Medal480.00
      09-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #85
kbanga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C | G80 M3C | E24 635CSi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because we want to lol

Not a hard concept to grasp.
Medal480.00
Ibiza3596.00
mattburks750.50
      09-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #86
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you never mod anything? …Ever?!
Appreciate 2
Medal480.00
mattburks750.50
      09-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #87
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Quote:
Personally I have the opposite perspective where I feel like paying a very high price for a vehicle means I should be getting more out of its output capabilities if a tune is available and reasonable. Even though out of the box these are still fantastic motors, it's a limited version of what you should be experiencing for the cost.
      09-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #88
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
I read the thread in the FB group, not sure how to post a link unless you're part of the group. Search I'm sure you'll find it.
Quote:
Quote:

Post a screen shot
Appreciate 0