BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-07-2021, 12:44 AM   #1
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

the biggest drawback of G80 vs. F80 ?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So after putting some miles on my G80 and breaking in I have noticed a few differences in terms of driving dynamics between the two cars. Just wanted to share my impression and see if it's just me or there is consensus. I drove the F80 for little over 3 years until the week before I got the G80 so I have some basis for comparison on the same roads and under the same conditions. I have seen some online/youtube reviews but most of these youtube journalists don't really daily the F80 for such a long time and may not remember what it was like when driving the G80 for an informed back-to-back comparison.

- Engine: The G80 has it. It has more power, most noticeable when reaching triple digit speeds and up. Throttle response is much more linear and controlled as opposed to just opening the floodgate in F80

- Transmission : I may sound crazy but I prefer the ZF. Downshifts are super fast and click right in place under heavy load. Upshifts have less drama but I am not sure if they are actually any slower than F80, I am also not sure how much the "jump" effect in F80 was actually result of clutch engaging or a simulated effect. I have driven 911's with PDK, they don't do it either so... I can tell the combination of transmission/throttle response is faster in G80 as I can beat the yellow to red light transition consistently without drama...something that was though to do with my F80. I find myself manual shifting this car 100% of the time, fair to say transmission is matched to the engine absolutely perfectly.

- handling, the car handles well around the bends, in MDM I can still break the tail just a bit, it handles like an M car, *BUT* I do feel and notice the extra weight, it's more noticeable in the turn-in of a sharp corner at speed, less so in the exist... It does go around the corner at speed eventually. But I think this car is definitely at the limit weight-wise. Any extra lb's will spoil it for me, so I'd never go with AWD, but that's just me. so IMO the only drawback is weight (I know it has more power) but it is just that little bit less go-karty feeling compared to the F80...you can tell, it's heavier.

- Breaks: haven't tracked G80 yet but on the road it feels the same as F80...not a big difference.

Overall I am very satisfied with the driving performance of the G80 compared to my F80. I am sure it will lap faster on the same tracks I have been before....I don't know what the future will bring, but regardless of powertrain if the car becomes heavier this would be it for me.

oh and the interior of the G80 is a lot nicer/higher quality, I got the full leather leather package so it looks more like a 90K car. I don't like the execution of the digital gauges (there is a separate thread for this)

cheers