BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Stormtrooper Spec Delivered

MY21 Comp Spec
Alpine White
Full Kyalami Organge
Park Assist
Exec Package
Black 826M wheels
Red Calipers
Shadowline
Carbon Bucket Seats
Carbon Exterior

The Backstory (incasse you haven't heard)

After 5.5 months I took delivery on the full Stormtrooper spec RWD M3 Competition a week ago Saturday. My journey included a 4 week push in production week and 70 painful days at the VPC with both the camera retrofit and RAM stop sale. The car weathered the tail end of three hurricanes and the summer sun at the NJ VPC along with the salt air.

Preparation

It received much pampering at Berardi's Detailing: Paint correction, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Lite Ceramic with Exo 4 topper on all surfaces and a 20% tint on the sides and rear. Berardi's knocked it out of the park so if you're in the Philly area check them out.

Once I got it home I applied Colourlock Shield to the leather to add a protective layer and prevent dye transfer. I applied Dr. Beasley's Microsuede Protection to the alcantara. Both products should help keep the surfaces looking great and wearing more slowly.

Driving Impressions

I've put 120 miles on since last Saturday. My impressions pickup where my performance dirivng experience left off nearly 5 months ago. The S58 is fabulous and the tune feels more responsive than my X4MC. Steering is direct and feels good to me. I was able to complete an early morning spirited run today on a slightly wet surface with debris from the storm that passed through the night before and I didn't feel any traction issues whatsoever. I've also been "behaved" and haven't had it past about 3,500 RPM whilest breaking-in.

Interior

Yeah . . . it's really nice. I happen to like the carbon buckets. They're snug but I do think they'll break in more over time and will feel like the buckets I drove in over the summer. That said, respect anyone who doesn't opt for them. They're not for everyone. Where is the equalizer setting for the HK sound system?? I need to pump up the bass. I have a feeling that's not possible and it's unfortunate. If anyone knows where that setting is burried let me know - I can't find it.

Overall

I'm super happy with the car. Was it worth the wait? I think so.

What's Next

Not sure - going to live with it for awhile. I have a set of OE winter wheels and tires coming in. Tire will be a star rated Michelin Alpin 5 which I hear is great. They'll sit on 829M Black wheels (275/35R19 square setup)
Attached Images

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Executive Committee Member for Light The Night. You can help. Donate here.
Appreciate 14
chicagofan0019057.50
Foggins1331.50
'Cane8469.50
JDUNITNOW3496.50
Hanibal74343.50
MMiami27.00
kmualim208.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
bri10425886.00
Patton2502938.00
      10-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Looks great!

So overall thoughts on the HK? I'm not an audiophile, but I'm hoping that it's good enough for most folks. Hoping there is an equalizer somewhere.
      10-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
Looks great!

So overall thoughts on the HK? I'm not an audiophile, but I'm hoping that it's good enough for most folks. Hoping there is an equalizer somewhere.
The HK is fine. I'm also not an audiophile so I'm not looking for B&O type sound. Found this in the manual
Attached Images

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Executive Committee Member for Light The Night. You can help. Donate here.
Appreciate 1
Flying051304.00
      10-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Looks great. Glad you were finally able to bring it home. Congrats!

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
ToMorNotToM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BSM G80 M3

Congrats! Wow such a long time to get in hands. ☹️
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Looks amazing, very tasteful yet aggressive looking. Hope you enjoy many fun and trouble-free miles!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Congratulations! I'm glad you finally were able to take delivery. I know it's been a long and painful wait. Hopefully the car grows on you the more you drive it push past break in.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
Oeon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C

So glad you got your car. Looks sick. What're your thoughts on ceramic coating vs. ppf vs. regular waxes

2022 AWD G80 M3 Comp | Week 29 Build | BSM w/ Fiona Red
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
VaderDaver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 FDG G80 Comp

Had not seen Berardi's Detailing before... curious, were you a previous customer or was it a referral? Did you consider other options?

Been checking out options in the Philly area - seen people recommend Minard and Acap, but always looking at options and (sadly) since my car won't be here for awhile, I can take my time.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #10
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeon View Post
So glad you got your car. Looks sick. What're your thoughts on ceramic coating vs. ppf vs. regular waxes
So I considered PPF but I don't drive a ton so the benefit wasn't there for me. I mainly get ceramic because I love the look, longevity and ease of care. I want the car to look showroom every day and with ceramic I feel I get that.

If I put more miles on I'd seriously consider PPF and totally get why there's a faithful following. If my habits change in 5 years when the ceramic begins to degrade perhaps I'll opt to wrap it then (unlikely but who knows).

Appreciate 1
Oeon105.50
      10-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #11
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDaver View Post
Had not seen Berardi's Detailing before... curious, were you a previous customer or was it a referral? Did you consider other options?

Been checking out options in the Philly area - seen people recommend Minard and Acap, but always looking at options and (sadly) since my car won't be here for awhile, I can take my time.
I've used Berardi's in the past and think they do great ceramic work. Read good things about ACAP and Oakes but can't personally attest to either. There are some great shops in the area so you've got lots of choice.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #12
VaderDaver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 FDG G80 Comp

Thanks - appreciate that response. I'll check out Berardi's for sure when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #13
kmualim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X6MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aford View Post
MY21 Comp Spec
Alpine White
Full Kyalami Organge
Park Assist
Exec Package
Black 826M wheels
Red Calipers
Shadowline
Carbon Bucket Seats
Carbon Exterior

The Backstory (incasse you haven't heard)

After 5.5 months I took delivery on the full Stormtrooper spec RWD M3 Competition a week ago Saturday. My journey included a 4 week push in production week and 70 painful days at the VPC with both the camera retrofit and RAM stop sale. The car weathered the tail end of three hurricanes and the summer sun at the NJ VPC along with the salt air.

Preparation

It received much pampering at Berardi's Detailing: Paint correction, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Lite Ceramic with Exo 4 topper on all surfaces and a 20% tint on the sides and rear. Berardi's knocked it out of the park so if you're in the Philly area check them out.

Once I got it home I applied Colourlock Shield to the leather to add a protective layer and prevent dye transfer. I applied Dr. Beasley's Microsuede Protection to the alcantara. Both products should help keep the surfaces looking great and wearing more slowly.

Driving Impressions

I've put 120 miles on since last Saturday. My impressions pickup where my performance dirivng experience left off nearly 5 months ago. The S58 is fabulous and the tune feels more responsive than my X4MC. Steering is direct and feels good to me. I was able to complete an early morning spirited run today on a slightly wet surface with debris from the storm that passed through the night before and I didn't feel any traction issues whatsoever. I've also been "behaved" and haven't had it past about 3,500 RPM whilest breaking-in.

Interior

Yeah . . . it's really nice. I happen to like the carbon buckets. They're snug but I do think they'll break in more over time and will feel like the buckets I drove in over the summer. That said, respect anyone who doesn't opt for them. They're not for everyone. Where is the equalizer setting for the HK sound system?? I need to pump up the bass. I have a feeling that's not possible and it's unfortunate. If anyone knows where that setting is burried let me know - I can't find it.

Overall

I'm super happy with the car. Was it worth the wait? I think so.

What's Next

Not sure - going to live with it for awhile. I have a set of OE winter wheels and tires coming in. Tire will be a star rated Michelin Alpin 5 which I hear is great. They'll sit on 829M Black wheels (275/35R19 square setup)

Sweet ride! Definitely a "Stormtrooper" edition
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:54 AM   #14
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
So I considered PPF but I don't drive a ton so the benefit wasn't there for me. I mainly get ceramic because I love the look, longevity and ease of care. I want the car to look showroom every day and with ceramic I feel I get that.

If I put more miles on I'd seriously consider PPF and totally get why there's a faithful following. If my habits change in 5 years when the ceramic begins to degrade perhaps I'll opt to wrap it then (unlikely but who knows).
I would at least PPF the front (mainly bumper, fenders, hood). Ceramic coating won't prevent it from rock chips. By the time it comes to wrapping it in the future you may have a butchered front bumper that you may have to repaint then PPF.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I would at least PPF the front (mainly bumper, fenders, hood). Ceramic coating won't prevent it from rock chips. By the time it comes to wrapping it in the future you may have a butchered front bumper that you may have to repaint then PPF.
True - ceramic doesn't add much additional durability. As I mentioned I don't drive a lot of miles (~4,500 a year) and it won't be the road-trip car. PPF isn't for me but like I said, I totally get why people like it and I would do it if I drove this car more.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #16
Oeon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C

Quote:
Quote:

Just got mine ceramic coated and couldn't agree more with your analysis.

Right now my car feels as close to perfect as I'll ever take it. Genuinely interested in doing some track time or something along those lines because I really wanna see the full potential of this car.

What are you running for interior mats by the way? I have the all season 3 series mats right now but I was considering getting a pair of diamonds stitched after market mats—just don't know if it'll feel trashy haha.

2022 AWD G80 M3 Comp | Week 29 Build | BSM w/ Fiona Red
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #17
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just got mine ceramic coated and couldn't agree more with your analysis.

Right now my car feels as close to perfect as I'll ever take it. Genuinely interested in doing some track time or something along those lines because I really wanna see the full potential of this car.

What are you running for interior mats by the way? I have the all season 3 series mats right now but I was considering getting a pair of diamonds stitched after market mats—just don't know if it'll feel trashy haha.
Sounds like we have the same. I'm running the OE all seasons which do the trick. Also have the trunk liner which fits nicely and provides a grippy surface so items don't slide as much.

I'm working on dialing in my winter care routine being in PA. Pretty happy with Adam's Waterless Ceramic but I'm going to give a few others a go before it gets too bad out.

Appreciate 0