BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

03-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #111
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...25%20Kilogramm.

EMPTY weight 1528KG MT with CCB, EU DIN would be then 1603Kg.

1429Kg....they took out a lot of this car I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #112
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
of course on any brand you can have bad luck and get a, like we say in switzerland, "monday-car" with a lot of issues.

For sure Alfa is much better than in the past regarding reliability.

But there were several things keeping me from buying a QV:

Pro for Alfa:
- price difference may be 20k which is pro alfa (a little unfair as I have a lot of discount on alfa)
- Emotions (i'm a bapedibupi Italian, I have emotions in an Italian car)
- Design, I love the design of the Alfa
- It's a bloody Ferrari Engine!! even though they say no, it is
- Steering. Damn never ever have I had such an awesome steering

now negative:
- Only Auto (MT is mandatory for me, BIG THANK YOU TO BMW!!)
- interior
- included service. In switzerland with BMW we get free service up to 100'000KM and you only pay for liquids (they also change brakes if they are through, for free). Alfa well, only the work hours are paid.
- individual settings for the car. things like engine etc. BMW is much more flexible here
- resale value. Alfa depreciates really really bad ..
- costumer treatment. It's not the Alfa Garage treated me bad, they just didn't give me the feeling to really want to sell me the car and make me feel comfortable. It may sound stupid and I know if you want a car you just want it but it makes a big difference for me if I feel taken serious or not. BMW offered me closed room presentation, exclusive test drive of the new M4 in January (!!!) and so on. This makes a BIG difference imo.

Well but to be fair, Alfa was already out because I wanted a MT. If not the decision would have been harder to be honest.
So the Alfa Giulia QV was the one car in the segment I didn't test drive, cuz i couldnt find one lol. But yea it is the cheapest in the segment in Canada as well. I've watched countless videos on all these cars, it appears that interior was improved recently but the tech is still lagging behind. The G8X pricing really isnt' that bad and actually undercuts RS5 and C63 here, which I'm grateful for but also worried for the upcharge for AWD....

also.. can i ask why ppl call it the QV when its spelled more like QF ? lol
      03-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #113
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
So the Alfa Giulia QV was the one car in the segment I didn't test drive, cuz i couldnt find one lol. But yea it is the cheapest in the segment in Canada as well. I've watched countless videos on all these cars, it appears that interior was improved recently but the tech is still lagging behind. The G8X pricing really isnt' that bad and actually undercuts RS5 and C63 here, which I'm grateful for but also worried for the upcharge for AWD....

They indeed improved, but still are 20 steps behind the competitors.

Of course one could argue it's a drivers car and it's useless..but people got demanding and want comfort and quality for daily usage.

QV stands for Quadrifoglio Verde
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #114
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
of course on any brand you can have bad luck and get a, like we say in switzerland, "monday-car" with a lot of issues.

For sure Alfa is much better than in the past regarding reliability.

But there were several things keeping me from buying a QV:

Pro for Alfa:
- price difference may be 20k which is pro alfa (a little unfair as I have a lot of discount on alfa)
- Emotions (i'm a bapedibupi Italian, I have emotions in an Italian car)
- Design, I love the design of the Alfa
- It's a bloody Ferrari Engine!! even though they say no, it is
- Steering. Damn never ever have I had such an awesome steering

now negative:
- Only Auto (MT is mandatory for me, BIG THANK YOU TO BMW!!)
- interior
- included service. In switzerland with BMW we get free service up to 100'000KM and you only pay for liquids (they also change brakes if they are through, for free). Alfa well, only the work hours are paid.
- individual settings for the car. things like engine etc. BMW is much more flexible here
- resale value. Alfa depreciates really really bad ..
- costumer treatment. It's not the Alfa Garage treated me bad, they just didn't give me the feeling to really want to sell me the car and make me feel comfortable. It may sound stupid and I know if you want a car you just want it but it makes a big difference for me if I feel taken serious or not. BMW offered me closed room presentation, exclusive test drive of the new M4 in January (!!!) and so on. This makes a BIG difference imo.

Well but to be fair, Alfa was already out because I wanted a MT. If not the decision would have been harder to be honest.

I'm a RWD nut, but if the AWD version is a Bahnstormer and the price of admission isn't ridiculous, I would consider it should I choose to pony-up for the G8X and unload my F82. Dynamics would be the determining factor........that, and AWD being available with an MT.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #115
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Quote:
They indeed improved, but still are 20 steps behind the competitors.

Of course one could argue it's a drivers car and it's useless..but people got demanding and want comfort and quality for daily usage.

QV stands for Quadrifoglio Verde
thx for that lesson, now makes a whole lot more sense, i can stop sounding like a noob and call it the giulia qf

i agree these cars shoulds have that dual personality ... otherwise you'd be going for something like a shelby mustang, real raw, real drivers car, real barebone otherwise
      03-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #116
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
The funny part is that even "QV" is wrong, the official name is Giulia/Stelvio Quadrifoglio, they were never officially called "Quadrifoglio Verde".
The mistake comes from the historical version of some great Alfas of the past (Quadrifoglio Verde indeed, but also Quadrifoglio Oro for luxury models), recently reused on some minor European models, but you won't see the adjective "Verde" on the official Giulia and Stelvio Quadrifoglio specs, even if the logo is a green (->verde) cloverleaf
Appreciate 4
Scorp!on1511.50
CanAutM321116.50
      03-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #117
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Thank you for posting. Although nice, it would be beneficial if both cars had the same tires, same fuel load.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:59 AM   #118
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Giulia's arch contender has always been the M5... Somehow now it is put up against the M3?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #119
Macheins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Marina Bay M3 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Giulia's arch contender has always been the M5... Somehow now it is put up against the M3?
I have to disagree on this. I've always felt the Giulia was built to directly compete with the 3 series. We have a F80 and a Quadrifoglio in our garage and the Alfa is far more similar to the M3 than M5.

The Alfa's base price over the last few years has been slightly higher than the M3, but it is still nearly $30k less than a base M5. Not to mention the car is simply not in the same league in terms of luxury or size. In fact, I believe the Alfa is just slightly shorter than the F80 and is nearly 1,000lbs lighter than the M5.
      03-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #120
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macheins View Post
I have to disagree on this. I've always felt the Giulia was built to directly compete with the 3 series. We have a F80 and a Quadrifoglio in our garage and the Alfa is far more similar to the M3 than M5.

The Alfa's base price over the last few years has been slightly higher than the M3, but it is still nearly $30k less than a base M5. Not to mention the car is simply not in the same league in terms of luxury or size. In fact, I believe the Alfa is just slightly shorter than the F80 and is nearly 1,000lbs lighter than the M5.
Agreed, Fiat position the Giulia in the 3 series segment. They have the Ghibli as their 5 series competitor. It’s much larger than the Guilia but not as big as the QP which is their 7 series car.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #121
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Since when ?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1511.50
      03-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #122
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

I used to see countless articles and videos pitting the two against each other.

I do agree the 3 Series is a more comparable competitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 02:08 AM   #123
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
On the Vairano circuit (a track owned by the Italian magazine 'Quattroruote') the M4C was 2 seconds faster than the Giulia Q, which is a lot on a 2.8 km track.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25116.50
Scorp!on1511.50
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      03-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #124
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:

Interesting to read the differences.
Here in Switzerland the base price of the Giulia is 16k less than the M3.
Which is quiet a lot.

I fully loaded the QV and got a price of 94k CHF.
My M3 will be 113k CHF.

aaaaand the Giulia was always competitor of M3, never of M5.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #125
Macheins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting to read the differences.
Here in Switzerland the base price of the Giulia is 16k less than the M3.
Which is quiet a lot.

I fully loaded the QV and got a price of 94k CHF.
My M3 will be 113k CHF.

aaaaand the Giulia was always competitor of M3, never of M5.
Good point! The pricing won't be the same everywhere.

When we were looking to buy my F80, I believe the M3 base MSRP was in the low $60k range while the Quadrifoglio started about $10k above that. I remember it was a sizable difference between the two but at the same time, the Alfa came with a lot more of the executive package style amenities in the base price with more options catering to aesthetics than features. I remember thinking it wild that my build for my M3 was sometimes $30k or more less than others who had the same base car.

The new M3/M4 are in the same price range now with the new models. I really hope to see Alfa, with the parent company changes, put out something new with the Giulia going into 2022+.

Last edited by Macheins; 03-29-2021 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #126
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:

When we were looking to buy my F80, I believe the M3 base MSRP was in the low $60k range while the Quadrifoglio started about $10k above that. I remember it was a sizable difference between the two but at the same time, the Alfa came with a lot more of the executive package style amenities in the base price with more options catering to aesthetics than features.

The new M3/M4 are in the same price range now with the new models. I really hope to see Alfa, with the parent company changes, put out something new with the Giulia going into 2022+.
unfortunately I doubt that, since Marchione passed who was the one who actually brought the Giulia QV and wanted to bring the brand Alfa back to where it was.
Now they change a lot in their philosophy, with big probability this will also be the last year as main sponsor for our Team in F1.
Sucks...

But hope is still here they keep the way with the brand. Alfa must be there, sport car segment and nowhere else.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #127
Macheins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
unfortunately I doubt that, since Marchione passed who was the one who actually brought the Giulia QV and wanted to bring the brand Alfa back to where it was.
Now they change a lot in their philosophy, with big probability this will also be the last year as main sponsor for our Team in F1.
Sucks...

But hope is still here they keep the way with the brand. Alfa must be there, sport car segment and nowhere else.

Following Alfa news the last few years has been a roller coaster. Last year I assumed they were on their way out of the US once the merger news was rumored. When COVID hit, I thought it was a certainty. Now, Stellantis CEO Tavares is saying they fully intent to keep Alfa and Maserati in the US and will focus on growing those brands before considering bringing new brands stateside.

It's a lot of wishful thinking, but if they can convince the masses about their quality control and maybe bring their smaller SUV here to capture those large vehicle loving US dollars... then they can also afford to spend some time/money on revamping the Giulia. It's a wonderful car as it is but it will quickly start to get outclassed as it ages, all other quality issues aside.

Edit: Regarding F1. I thought they intended to stay in it, especially with the rules changes coming up? Are they pulling out as a main sponsor for the Sauber team?
      03-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #128
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Sucks...

Marchione was a finance guy, he killed the Lancia brand and let Alfa in poor shape ... Tavares is an engineer, a true car enthusisast and good amateur driver. He resurrected Alpine Renault, I have much more confidence in him.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #129
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Following Alfa news the last few years has been a roller coaster. Last year I assumed they were on their way out of the US once the merger news was rumored. When COVID hit, I thought it was a certainty. Now, Stellantis CEO Tavares is saying they fully intent to keep Alfa and Maserati in the US and will focus on growing those brands before considering bringing new brands stateside.

It's a lot of wishful thinking, but if they can convince the masses about their quality control and maybe bring their smaller SUV here to capture those large vehicle loving US dollars... then they can also afford to spend some time/money on revamping the Giulia. It's a wonderful car as it is but it will quickly start to get outclassed as it ages, all other quality issues aside.

Edit: Regarding F1. I thought they intended to stay in it, especially with the rules changes coming up? Are they pulling out as a main sponsor for the Sauber team?
Let's hope.

Rumours are they pull out and will go to Formula E.

dgm3
Yes, Marchione was a finance guy. But he revived the brand alfa and had also plans for Lancia. The process with alfa wasn't finished...

Look at how they didn't bring the GTV, this was all in the plan of Marchione.

I have little hope that Alfa will continue to enforce the brand in the sport car segment to be honest, but let's see what they will offer us in future.
The Giulia is one hell of a car and it was an exclemation mark from the brand after years of crap.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 07:29 PM   #130
PeregrineFalcon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: vw cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
On the Vairano circuit (a track owned by the Italian magazine 'Quattroruote') the M4C was 2 seconds faster than the Giulia Q, which is a lot on a 2.8 km track.
Do you know what was the lap time?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 12:56 AM   #131
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:

When we were looking to buy my F80, I believe the M3 base MSRP was in the low $60k range while the Quadrifoglio started about $10k above that. I remember it was a sizable difference between the two but at the same time, the Alfa came with a lot more of the executive package style amenities in the base price with more options catering to aesthetics than features. I remember thinking it wild that my build for my M3 was sometimes $30k or more less than others who had the same base car.

Not only that. But the residuals were awful which made leasing one practically impossible. Talking 911 numbers.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 05:44 AM   #132
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFalcon View Post
Do you know what was the lap time?

The car had Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, the M2CS had Cup2C and manual transmission.
For reference, the M5 time was 1.15.773.
So many good words for the M4C in every aspect, except for body roll and weight in track driving, and the gearbox is fast but not as engaging as the DCT.
The car with CCB and bucket seats weights 1816 kgs with driver and instruments (+100kg), on the same conditions the Giulia Q weighted 1798 kgs.
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan25116.50
heavyD^23688.50
solstice5457.50
Jcali861479.00
CanAutM321116.50
Puuhapete145.00