BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #111
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
Usually with the sale coupons, its like $179 vs $159 for the short one. The weight is irrelevant as its a floor jack and its gonna be laying on the floor in a corner. Its 80 lbs vs 100 lbs but moving it on wheels isnt that hard. I agree that worth is subjective but when you state that "You absolutely do NOT need a long reach jack", you are contradicting this statement. Let the person decide what they want. If your short jack doesnt reach the front jack point but you are content with raising each wheel using the side ones, that suits you. I dont feel like doing each wheel separately and the time saving benefits are totally worth it esp if the price isnt too high. So I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new jack. If they find it worth it, then thats fine. If they dont find it worth it, thats fine too....
It's not contradictory at all. I said you don't need it. You objectively don't need it. No one does. Now, whether you want it is subjective. I'm not telling anyone they can't buy it, but I'm just saying, you don't need it, which is true.

I also went over how you don't need a long reach jack to raise the middle point, but again, I'm almost positive the regular jack can reach it anyway.

I got mine for $139 with coupon. So $40, and the weight may be a factor, it's 25% heavier, even on wheels that's not insignificant.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 03:43 PM   #112
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
It's not contradictory at all. I said you don't need it. You objectively don't need it. No one does. Now, whether you want it is subjective. I'm not telling anyone they can't buy it, but I'm just saying, you don't need it, which is true.

I also went over how you don't need a long reach jack to raise the middle point, but again, I'm almost positive the regular jack can reach it anyway.

I got mine for $139 with coupon. So $40, and the weight may be a factor, it's 25% heavier, even on wheels that's not insignificant.

I think you are just doing semantics here. You need it..You want it...is just BS. Do we all need a low profile floor jack? You can jack up the car with a regular floor jack. So its even cheaper and you can save ur money too. I have an old craftsman floor jack that goes under the side points easily. He is looking for a jack. Give him the best option so that he doesnt have to think about it buying one again. Why dont u check out if the regular jack reaches the point. If it does, then yours is the best option. If it doesnt, the $40 is not a big difference when u are shelling out 100K for a car. If it matters that much, then maybe just buy a used one that would be even cheaper !!!. Ive pushed around the 100lbs one on wheels and it just slides easily without any problems. So weight is still not an issue here.

Last edited by Aalfred; 10-04-2023 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 04:54 PM   #113
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

Does anyone know what the width between jacking points is? I know the length is 73" on center. I have an older quick jack and I'm trying to decide if I can get away with a side lift on what I have or if I definitely have to get the monster 6000ELX ones. Or do I just give up and sell my old Quick Jack and get a really nice floor jack? 99% of the time it's just used for swapping tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 05:31 PM   #114
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think you are just doing semantics here. You need it..You want it...is just BS. Do we all need a low profile floor jack? You can jack up the car with a regular floor jack. So its even cheaper and you can save ur money too. I have an old craftsman floor jack that goes under the side points easily. He is looking for a jack. Give him the best option so that he doesnt have to think about it buying one again. Why dont u check out if the regular jack reaches the point. If it does, then yours is the best option. If it doesnt, the $40 is not a big difference when u are shelling out 100K for a car. If it matters that much, then maybe just buy a used one that would be even cheaper !!!. Ive pushed around the 100lbs one on wheels and it just slides easily without any problems. So weight is still not an issue here.
I'm not the one that brought up need vs contradiction. I very clearly spelled out in my original post that it was a matter of need vs what you can do. It's not BS at all, just because you didn't interpret it correctly does not mean that. But I absolutely agree! Not all of us need everything an expensive jack has to offer and can save our money as well, all my post was doing was to call out your unnecessary requirements.

I would argue that some of us actually do need a low profile jack based on our usage and if our cars are lowered or not, a non-low profile jack would physically not work at all.

I actually just tested it and it no longer makes it to the jack point because of the lower clearance due to my mishimoto oil guard. That lowers the air deflector down just enough that I'm about 1-2" off of getting it to the mount point. Before I had that installed, it would clear easily. I can temporarily remove the air dam and it will clear.

So sure, absolutely, if you *need* a long reach jack, go get one, but you were the one who said to "make sure it's low profile AND long reach" and I merely pointed out that buying long reach wasn't necessary, as per my reasons above.

You obviously thought differently, but you're preaching your own value onto others when they may not need to spend as much as you on a jack, depending on what they need to do. Your statements sounded like they were requirements, which they objectively aren't.

And again, about the weight, you're still pushing your own experience as fact and gospel. I'm not saying people can't push it, just that it's a consideration that people should take into account.

Last edited by Berzerker; 10-04-2023 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602260.50
      10-04-2023, 06:22 PM   #115
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I'm not the one that brought up need vs contradiction. I very clearly spelled out in my original post that it was a matter of need vs what you can do. It's not BS at all, just because you didn't interpret it correctly does not mean that. But I absolutely agree! Not all of us need everything an expensive jack has to offer and can save our money as well, all my post was doing was to call out your unnecessary requirements.

I would argue that some of us actually do need a low profile jack based on our usage and if our cars are lowered or not, a non-low profile jack would physically not work at all.

I actually just tested it and it no longer makes it to the jack point because of the lower clearance due to my mishimoto oil guard. That lowers the air deflector down just enough that I'm about 1-2" off of getting it to the mount point. Before I had that installed, it would clear easily. I can temporarily remove the air dam and it will clear.

So sure, absolutely, if you *need* a long reach jack, go get one, but you were the one who said to "make sure it's low profile AND long reach" and I merely pointed out that buying long reach wasn't necessary, as per my reasons above.

You obviously thought differently, but you're preaching your own value onto others when they may not need to spend as much as you on a jack, depending on what they need to do. Your statements sounded like they were requirements, which they objectively aren't.

And again, about the weight, you're still pushing your own experience as fact and gospel. I'm not saying people can't push it, just that it's a consideration that people should take into account.
Ok. You gave your opinion and I have mine. When I said make sure it is long reach...its merely to prevent confusion about the low profile one and low profile WITH long reach ones. I didnt say "YOU NEED TO BUY THE LOW PROFILE LONG REACH ONE"

But then, despite the post not addressed to you, you came to correct me saying that you " Absolutely DONT NEED a Long reach one without providing any concrete basis for your statement except for the play of words between need vs want, the $40 difference and weight despite the fact that with first hand experience, weight has no bearing if u plan on leaving it on the ground. But you still seem to keep sticking to your statement of me trying to force the guy to buy the jack I recommended despite me trying to clarify my position.

Then come to find out that your short one doesnt reach the mid jack point and then you make some excuse about its becoz of ur mishimoto skip plate when all u had to do was to put some 2x4 under the wheels and can easily raise the height to check it out. Then comes back to saying "Im pushing my own experience as gospel" when you seem to be hell bent of the fact that you still need a low profile jack when I clearly gave u an example of my old craftsman non low profile working and then you come up with an excuse that he will need a low profile jack becoz what if he lowers his car and he might need it. So now you are talking in hypothesis to suit your argument when the fact of the matter is you dont have anything to stand on. What if he installs a Mishimoto skid plate, that would mean the long reach is useless anyways unless you have to use something to raise it up. What if he has a ramp. Then he doesnt need a low profile jack anyways. I can go on an on with this type of argument but its not relevant to this thread. So in the interest of keeping this thread to what it is, you can recommend what you want. Im recommending what I want. No need to correct what I recommend If you still have an issue, you can PM me and we could keep on arguing till dawn. Peace out !!!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 07:56 PM   #116
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok. You gave your opinion and I have mine. When I said make sure it is long reach...its merely to prevent confusion about the low profile one and low profile WITH long reach ones. I didnt say "YOU NEED TO BUY THE LOW PROFILE LONG REACH ONE"

But then, despite the post not addressed to you, you came to correct me saying that you " Absolutely DONT NEED a Long reach one without providing any concrete basis for your statement except for the play of words between need vs want, the $40 difference and weight despite the fact that with first hand experience, weight has no bearing if u plan on leaving it on the ground. But you still seem to keep sticking to your statement of me trying to force the guy to buy the jack I recommended despite me trying to clarify my position.

Then come to find out that your short one doesnt reach the mid jack point and then you make some excuse about its becoz of ur mishimoto skip plate when all u had to do was to put some 2x4 under the wheels and can easily raise the height to check it out. Then comes back to saying "Im pushing my own experience as gospel" when you seem to be hell bent of the fact that you still need a low profile jack when I clearly gave u an example of my old craftsman non low profile working and then you come up with an excuse that he will need a low profile jack becoz what if he lowers his car and he might need it. So now you are talking in hypothesis to suit your argument when the fact of the matter is you dont have anything to stand on. What if he installs a Mishimoto skid plate, that would mean the long reach is useless anyways unless you have to use something to raise it up. What if he has a ramp. Then he doesnt need a low profile jack anyways. I can go on an on with this type of argument but its not relevant to this thread. So in the interest of keeping this thread to what it is, you can recommend what you want. Im recommending what I want. No need to correct what I recommend If you still have an issue, you can PM me and we could keep on arguing till dawn. Peace out !!!
That's the problem with text. If you don't say exactly what you mean, then how is the person supposed to understand what you mean? We're not mind readers. Be clear next time.

If you're making a recommendation, say it's a recommendation.

Sounds like you've understood your original error, so as long as you clearly lay out what you mean next time, there's no issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 08:23 PM   #117
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I had a jack fail on my when changing a tire years ago. Luckily I wasn’t under the car

Do not cheap out on jack stands. If something goes wrong and your under the car, it’s game over.

Be safe folks!

If you ever need to do anything in a pinch and don’t have jackstands, put the wheel under the car so if anything goes wrong, worst case you wreck your wheel and not your head
Appreciate 2
Berzerker3026.00
      10-04-2023, 08:29 PM   #118
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Well….
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019255.50
      10-05-2023, 12:19 PM   #119
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I had a jack fail on my when changing a tire years ago. Luckily I wasn’t under the car

Do not cheap out on jack stands. If something goes wrong and your under the car, it’s game over.

Be safe folks!

If you ever need to do anything in a pinch and don’t have jackstands, put the wheel under the car so if anything goes wrong, worst case you wreck your wheel and not your head
Yep, the only time I ever have the car supported solely on a jack is if no part of my body is under the car at any point. Yes there's still the risk of damage if it falls, but not injury.

For anything else, it goes on a jackstand and then I re-tension the jack as an additional point of support. I've also done the wheel thing quite a few times (in addition to the jack and/or stand).

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 12:25 PM   #120
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel power View Post
Does anyone know what the width between jacking points is? I know the length is 73" on center. I have an older quick jack and I'm trying to decide if I can get away with a side lift on what I have or if I definitely have to get the monster 6000ELX ones. Or do I just give up and sell my old Quick Jack and get a really nice floor jack? 99% of the time it's just used for swapping tires.
The 5000 doesn’t work in either direction. I sold mine and just use a floor Jack and a combination of stands and raceramp cribs. The 6000ELX is HUGE. Just taking them out and storing them away is too much effort for the type of work I’m usually doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 01:03 PM   #121
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
The 5000 doesn’t work in either direction. I sold mine and just use a floor Jack and a combination of stands and raceramp cribs. The 6000ELX is HUGE. Just taking them out and storing them away is too much effort for the type of work I’m usually doing.
Thanks for the quick response. I agree that buying the 6000's for twice a year or so is overkill so I guess my options are get or make frame extensions for the 5000 or if I can sell them for a decent price, invest in a nice set of jackstands and high lift jack. The sin is, my father in law just passed and has a brand new 10,000 pound 2 post in his house that will never get used again. It's like 6 inches too tall to fit in my garage.
Appreciate 0