BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-23-2023, 05:01 PM   #133
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
See...he can save himself all this commotion by just going back and test driving the Xdrive in RWD mode and putting them in MDM mode. If he likes the drive, just get the RWD Comp. I doubt you can really feel the weight difference between the 2 cars.

For street driving, he won't tell the difference.

And we'll probably see a competition with x-drive only in the next generation.

Either pick your purist variant in the RWD manual. Or get the best of all worlds with the x-drive comp.
reNT265.50
      05-23-2023, 05:38 PM   #134
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Cmon man... you and I BOTH know that's not true... especially since you have so much experience driving these cars.

On the street on the stock tires, the F80 has a far lower performance envelope and is by nature twitchier, suffers far more traction issues and is just generally not remotely as composed. Then you you combined with the lower / peakier torque curve of the S55 and it makes the car feel far more wild. Even driving it at 30 mph keeps you on your toes.

The G80x with 285 rears and AWD doesn't do anything at 30 MPH unless you turn all aids off and punish it to lose traction... and by punish, I mean you have to do a LOT to get it to kick out.
Lol yeah, but what I mean is both the G80 and F80 performance limits are way above street driving, so, to me, I really don't get close to 8/10ths on the street on either platform. But I do agree, the peaky torque curve of the S55 makes it less manageable than the S58.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
reNT265.50
      05-23-2023, 05:41 PM   #135
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I am saying the exact opposite if you read my thread... the car is so well composed, so taught and well put together that it isolates you from the experience. It is objectively a better car in every way at the expense of feelin / fun UNLESS you are pushing it to the max.
I will say this, in addition to what we already mentioned, that the G8X chassis allows for a sharper steering response than my F80, which just makes the car feel more responsive, both on the street and the track. I personally enjoy street driving more in my G82 over my F80 partially because of this.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
stormlv932.00
      05-24-2023, 10:02 AM   #136
reNT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Do you think that's a good thing for the street? If the limits are so much higher than say an F80, how hard does one need to push on the street? I drive harder than anyone I personally know with sporty cars... in fact a few people that had sports cars told me to slow down whenever I've given them rides... except one guy who badly wrecked a corvette. I really couldn't find an exploitable limit for this car on the street.
So your complaint is that these cars are too capable and the limits are too high.

If you want to exploit the cars limits on the street, you need to look for a completely different type of car. Forget the new BMWs altogether. You need something like the GR86, or maybe a Cayman if you want to stick with the germans. The new lotus Emira is also a good option if you don't mind waiting twenty years for the brits to build you one.

The G80 either in the RWD or the AWD trim has very high limits on a dry surface. If you want a squarely car, get the F80 then. That car is notorious for being a loose cannon.

The moral of the story is, there is no new BMW that feels engaging to drive like the old cars did. Maybe the M4 CSL comes close, that's about it. Doesn't matter if it's RWD or AWD, both cars have the same level of isolation.
Appreciate 3
kgelfen3602254.50
Aalfred2625.00
BGM-M3COMP2329.50
      05-24-2023, 10:13 AM   #137
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reNT View Post
So your complaint is that these cars are too capable and the limits are too high.

If you want to exploit the cars limits on the street, you need to look for a completely different type of car. Forget the new BMWs altogether. You need something like the GR86, or maybe a Cayman if you want to stick with the germans. The new lotus Emira is also a good option if you don't mind waiting twenty years for the brits to build you one.

The G80 either in the RWD or the AWD trim has very high limits on a dry surface. If you want a squarely car, get the F80 then. That car is notorious for being a loose cannon.

The moral of the story is, there is no new BMW that feels engaging to drive like the old cars did. Maybe the M4 CSL comes close, that's about it. Doesn't matter if it's RWD or AWD, both cars have the same level of isolation.
Do you have a lot of seat time w the F80?
      05-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #138
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reNT View Post

He needs a hellcat or a gt500 or a c7 z06 or something.

He wants an out of control rwd car then there you go.

Xdrive m cars are meant to be planted and taken off like a missile.
reNT265.50
      05-24-2023, 03:53 PM   #139
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
He needs a hellcat or a gt500 or a c7 z06 or something.
I vote for a mustang, that gets out of control very quickly
Appreciate 3
natmad667.00
kgelfen3602254.50
reNT265.50
      05-24-2023, 06:21 PM   #140
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Interesting thread!

I just got in line for an allocation for an M3 Competition RWD to replace my M2 Competition.

I read every article I could find on the G80, and the following Motor Trend article and quote was one of the best I found. The quote relates well to both the AWD and RWD M3C, I thought, considering this thread.

Article…

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...-pvoty-review/

Quote…

As features editor Christian Seabaugh summed things up, "It's just hilariously unhinged." There exists a drive mode where power is only sent to the rear axle, with predictable results. But you needn't activate the RWD setting for lurid oversteer. Forget chucking the M3 into a corner; you can just as easily induce drifts by pressing harder on the gas with the steering wheel turned. BMW's xDrive seamlessly sends so much engine torque to the rear wheels that you'd swear the car is rear drive.
Speaking of, compared to the rear-drive M3 Comp he'd driven previously, senior features editor Jonny Lieberman bemoaned the heft, which he swore he could feel the M3's AWD gear added to the front axle. Indeed, some judges found it was often necessary to briefly lift off the gas or dab the brakes to get the M3's mass to transfer to the front for optimal turn-in, especially on the Streets of Willow Springs—a behavior Lieberman insisted was the result of the hundred or so extra pounds the AWD M3 Competition carries up front. But without a rear-drive M3 Comp on hand for comparison, most didn't find it disqualifying.

Seems you can have some RWD fun in both versions!
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602254.50
      05-24-2023, 06:25 PM   #141
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

This thread continues to be just reminiscing about the past. How great things used to be….
Whatever… we just keep driving xdrive happily.
Appreciate 3
natmad667.00
reNT265.50
      05-25-2023, 07:52 AM   #142
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Interesting thread!

I just got in line for an allocation for an M3 Competition RWD to replace my M2 Competition.

I read every article I could find on the G80, and the following Motor Trend article and quote was one of the best I found. The quote relates well to both the AWD and RWD M3C, I thought, considering this thread.

Article…

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...-pvoty-review/

Quote…

As features editor Christian Seabaugh summed things up, "It's just hilariously unhinged." There exists a drive mode where power is only sent to the rear axle, with predictable results. But you needn't activate the RWD setting for lurid oversteer. Forget chucking the M3 into a corner; you can just as easily induce drifts by pressing harder on the gas with the steering wheel turned. BMW's xDrive seamlessly sends so much engine torque to the rear wheels that you'd swear the car is rear drive.
Speaking of, compared to the rear-drive M3 Comp he'd driven previously, senior features editor Jonny Lieberman bemoaned the heft, which he swore he could feel the M3's AWD gear added to the front axle. Indeed, some judges found it was often necessary to briefly lift off the gas or dab the brakes to get the M3's mass to transfer to the front for optimal turn-in, especially on the Streets of Willow Springs—a behavior Lieberman insisted was the result of the hundred or so extra pounds the AWD M3 Competition carries up front. But without a rear-drive M3 Comp on hand for comparison, most didn't find it disqualifying.

Seems you can have some RWD fun in both versions!
I too had an m2 comp but had to sell it due to limited size and need for 2 rear doors... have you driven the G80? It is a FAR different feeling car... in fact, i would argue these cars don't compare at all... its definitely not like an F87 to F80 transition... just wouldn't want to see you buy a car, wait 6 months and then have to sell it since it wasn't what you expected... it didn't wasn't what I expected on my extended test drive...good or bad.
      05-25-2023, 08:38 AM   #143
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
I vote for a mustang, that gets out of control very quickly
Lmao he wouldn’t be able to handle it.

Not many can. I have a c7z. It’s a monster.

He’s better off with the x drive.
      05-25-2023, 09:02 AM   #144
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Lmao he wouldn’t be able to handle it.

Not many can. I have a c7z. It’s a monster.

He’s better off with the x drive.
some interesting things here... i almost bought a C7z at one point... a very good friend of mine owned a 2016 in Torch Red... sure it had some auto tranny limp mode issues but that car was a beast... it wore 335 rears and ironically, i never experienced any traction issues when driving in the dry either... it was the easiest vette to drive that I've drive... and the sound was out of this world.

The C6 Z06 is on the other hand a different monster... i presume most Xdrive folks here would be looking for a new car within a week after this one was in a ditch,
      05-25-2023, 10:07 AM   #145
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
some interesting things here... i almost bought a C7z at one point... a very good friend of mine owned a 2016 in Torch Red... sure it had some auto tranny limp mode issues but that car was a beast... it wore 335 rears and ironically, i never experienced any traction issues when driving in the dry either... it was the easiest vette to drive that I've drive... and the sound was out of this world.

The C6 Z06 is on the other hand a different monster... i presume most Xdrive folks here would be looking for a new car within a week after this one was in a ditch,
I have the manual c7z

It’s a bigger monster than the c6z just for the mere fact of how torque is delivered.

The ls7 torque figures don’t come close to the LT4. It makes like 425ft lbs of torque at idle.

Auto c7z is far easier to drive than a manual c7z. That’s why more people build the autos over the manual. Easier to control when you approach 1000hp.
      05-25-2023, 11:34 AM   #146
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Quote:
I too had an m2 comp but had to sell it due to limited size and need for 2 rear doors... have you driven the G80? It is a FAR different feeling car... in fact, i would argue these cars don't compare at all... its definitely not like an F87 to F80 transition... just wouldn't want to see you buy a car, wait 6 months and then have to sell it since it wasn't what you expected... it didn't wasn't what I expected on my extended test drive...good or bad.
Good point here, thanks!

I am sure this car is going to be very satisfying for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed driving the M2C spiritedly, and at the same time I have really missed my last high performance car, a Chevy SS!
If the M2 Competition and the Chevy SS had a baby…!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 04:37 AM   #147
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I have little experience driving the rear-wheel drive, but it was at the Spartanburg Performance Center. I own a G83, the heaviest of the bunch, and have 15000 miles on it. I think my observations are already mentioned in one of the 146 posts.

Can you feel the weight difference?

Yes, but again with the convertible, you would expect that. Plus, with convertibles, you get more body roll and sometimes shimmy. So my observation is the weight difference is low between the G82 and G83, and I have yet to experience any shimmy effects. My point is the convertible is remarkable in how little of a compromise between the convertible and lighter variants are. I have to surmise then the differences between the RWD and X-Drive will be even less from a purist standpoint.

Is the RWD car wilder, twitchier, and feels more alive?

As many have stated, by putting the car in RWD-only mode (mandatory DSC off in X-Drive), the car easily be thrown around. It's as easy as turning the wheel and surging the throttle. Personally, when I want to get a little squirrely, I will put the car in MDM mode instead of DSC off. It is just a personal thing, as DSC off and 4WD Sport, can still spin out on you. The car has be in a compromised position before hand, e.g., carrying too much speed into the corner when flooring it, so it is not as snappy as the F87, which seemed to want to get tail happy at any opportunity.

Are there any traction issues from a launch with the RWD model on warm days and good pavement?

Can't really answer this question. I have used LC half a dozen times in the convertible. I have not read any forum posts about the manual not launching well. However, if you want the best launch and quarter-mile times, the X-Drive has been proven to be the quickest.

Your observations the X-Drive seems "safer". I would agree with that observation. In MDM mode, I feel very comfortable engaging in wheel spin and not do not fear losing control. For street driving, I love this! If I tracked the car, then I might have a different opinion on it, but I could also switch to DSC off / 4WD Sport for the extra speed coming out of a corner. I will say that during the time I spent at Spartanburg with the RWD variant and at my limits, I never felt like I was going to lose the backend, and the stability of the car was night and day compared to the previous generation M2.
Appreciate 0