BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-12-2021, 12:52 AM   #375
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
I honestly would be more concerned if I had a car that was manufactured a little time before or after the recall window. Everything in manufacturing and quality control (and life really) is on a statistical bell curve and BMW is trying to guess an acceptable P-Value that covers the most likely failures.

Someone mentioned the Audi 2.0T piston ring issue. Audi issued a 2 model year recall/extended warranties/repairs for vehicles from 2009-2011. However, 2012-2015 models still exhibit the same failure at a higher mileage (roughly double) than the recalled cars and Audi won't do a thing about it and claim it could just be normal wear and tear … ask me how I know (also the irony is our Audi has been perfect from a reliability perspective up until the issue appeared at year 6 and 96k miles).
That's concerning. There are many whose cars are manufactured right around the time window. But I haven't seen what the actual cause is. It could be that a few cars had a specific issue that was identified and only applies to those cars with the faulty part or whatever it is. In that case it's not a statistical estimate.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 03:37 AM   #376
Silent__Bob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3C

UK recall page disappeared, I think BMW shut down the API, and this tool it doesn’t work either (https://bmw-recall-tool.netlify.app/), anywhere else to check by VIN?
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13015.50
kith_m4186.50
      10-12-2021, 06:43 AM   #377
hockeygoalie35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp XDrive

Quote:
I honestly would be more concerned if I had a car that was manufactured a little time before or after the recall window. Everything in manufacturing and quality control (and life really) is on a statistical bell curve and BMW is trying to guess an acceptable P-Value that covers the most likely failures.

Someone mentioned the Audi 2.0T piston ring issue. Audi issued a 2 model year recall/extended warranties/repairs for vehicles from 2009-2011. However, 2012-2015 models still exhibit the same failure at a higher mileage (roughly double) than the recalled cars and Audi won't do a thing about it and claim it could just be normal wear and tear … ask me how I know (also the irony is our Audi has been perfect from a reliability perspective up until the issue appeared at year 6 and 96k miles).
Wouldn’t you just be able to track the batch number of bad bearing shells and isolate vehicles based off that?
Appreciate 2
      10-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #378
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoalie35 View Post
Quote:

Wouldn't you just be able to track the batch number of bad bearing shells and isolate vehicles based off that?
Ya that's what I was thinking too. Especially if it's a supplier defect issue. They would have been notified by the supplier of exactly which batch of parts were impacted. That's what my experience has been in the aircraft industry at least. Can't say I know diddly about the car supply chain though.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:23 AM   #379
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Quote:
Let me know what you find out.
SA emailed me back and confirmed he saw no open recalls for my VIN *knock wood* so it seems not all cars within the date range are affected, as some suggested.
Awesome, good to know. I'm waiting to hear back too
Have you not checked on the UK site if you are or not? It seems pretty accurate and upto date.
I did but I'd rather be 100% sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Quote:
Have you not checked on the UK site if you are or not? It seems pretty accurate and upto date.
Yup, checked UK and US site first and both showed no recalls.
I called my dealer on Friday after hearing about the stop sale and they said they'll get back to me. Got a call from them first thing this morning and they said the only stop sale I have is for the RAM. Feeling confident.
Still waiting to hear back. I have my break in service due soon anyway so
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #380
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Quote:

i understand what you're saying but i dont think thats how it works. They have determined a certain amount of bearings are defective. They figure out what days those defective bearings were used and recall cars built on those days. Nowadays it's very easy to know this information
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #381
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Quote:

i understand what you're saying but i dont think thats how it works. They have determined a certain amount of bearings are defective. They figure out what days those defective bearings were used and recall cars built on those days. Nowadays it's very easy to know this information
Ok, I just want them to explain to me, how my car was assembled in the middle of those dates, and isn't affected?

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:42 AM   #382
omaralt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Ok, I just want them to explain to me, how my car was assembled in the middle of those dates, and isn't affected?
I'm very sure that its not difficult for BMW to know which batch of bad bearings went into which cars. They would know which vins had the bad bearings and recall those cars.. Are we seriously complaining now if our cars aren't in the recall?

and keep in mind there still isn't an official recall in the USA yet. Why dont we wait and see what happens first
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:48 AM   #383
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mraceguy View Post
Asked my SA about the recall and he said this is above his pay grade to discuss this with me. That doesn't sit right with me. What's preventing him from openly discussing it? He was able to discuss the RAM and camera stop sale, but not this. Doesn't make sense, unless there is more to this.

Anyone knows how long it takes for the US site to be updated with the recall?
When there's a repair or inspection procedure provided by BMW. They have a limited time, I believe 72 hours from the time they know about the issue to issue the campaign. There us no timeline for resolution requirements. Could be a couple days or a few months. Regardless of the timeline, the cars will all be fine. 😉
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:57 AM   #384
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Reason for this issue could be several different things: Defective part, Uncalibrated tools or assembly station, Worker error, etc. A manufacturer like BMW will have good traceability to narrow down defective vehicles especially their M lineup.

This thread was created based on initial information provided to dealers and in a matter of days, BMW will provide more information to the dealer which will eventually flow down to the customers.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:05 AM   #385
kith_m4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2022 G82 M4C X Kith

The production began on July 14 for my 2022 M4C and I can't seem to find a recall in the search results. Am I good cuz production date = manufacture start date?
Attached Images

10-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #386
eclipsenf
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The guy at BMW in Australia who I ordered my car with, said that my $10,000 deposit isn't refundable because it's a factory ordered car. My car is built, on a boat, and it doesn't seem to be affected by this recall, but I just wanted to put this information out there for all to see. If I wanted to cancel my delivery, I would have definitely gone straight to a lawyer over this non refundable deposit issue. I'm sure we have better consumer protection in Australia than this.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13015.50
      10-12-2021, 08:16 AM   #387
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Quote:
Reason for this issue could be several different things: Defective part, Uncalibrated tools or assembly station, Worker error, etc. A manufacturer like BMW will have good traceability to narrow down defective vehicles especially their M lineup.

This thread was created based on initial information provided to dealers and in a matter of days, BMW will provide more information to the dealer which will eventually flow down to the customers.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm very sure that its not difficult for BMW to know which batch of bad bearings went into which cars. They would know which vins had the bad bearings and recall those cars.. Are we seriously complaining now if our cars aren't in the recall?

and keep in mind there still isn't an official recall in the USA yet. Why dont we wait and see what happens first
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Quote:

But also read the post I was replying to. Do I take the chance that my car wasn't named and down the road, something similar happens, but it's not covered, because BMW didn't identify my build time frame as being a problem?

For reference, I had a similar situation happen to me with my Type R. LPFP recall X affected vehicles. Mine wasn't named, I'm good. Well, 800 miles later, my car is on a tow truck and the LPFP was replaced.

I'd also be curious to see if this is affecting the M4s. Most people I've seen affected, purchased M3s.

Appreciate 1
barryc3651947.00
      10-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #388
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Interesting that the recall isn't searchable by VIN anymore. BMW must've gotten wind of the leak and wants to get out in front of it before anymore hysteria ensues.

Otherwise, very odd coincidence.
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13015.50
darrelljs142.00
kith_m4186.50
      10-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #389
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Interesting that the recall isn't searchable by VIN anymore. BMW must've gotten wind of the leak and wants to get out in front of it before anymore hysteria ensues.
I'm sure they have staff that their sole job is to peruse the forums. I know there are other companies that do this, and not just for cars.

Appreciate 1
darrelljs142.00
      10-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #390
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
i checked the site where you can find your actual build date and ours was built on 9/7. the last day for the G82's to be affected? 9/7

and yet...it says that there's no recall. and if thats the case...its likely not ALL of the cars that were built during that time will have suspect bearing shells.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #391
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
i checked the site where you can find your actual build date and ours was built on 9/7. the last day for the G82's to be affected? 9/7

and yet...it says that there's no recall. and if thats the case...its likely not ALL of the cars that were built during that time will have suspect bearing shells.
Agree with this, I suspect batches are usually interleaved, so the dates are based on the production dates of the first and last car with the faulty batch.

This does not mean all cars in that period are impacted.
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #392
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
Quote:

Agree with this, I suspect batches are usually interleaved, so the dates are based on the production dates of the first and last car with the faulty batch.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
Quote:

Read my last post, 3 posts up. My other car wasn't named, and it still happened to me.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #393
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:

This….thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #394
a1gio2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

I can't believe the acceptance of mediocrity and lack of conformance quality by a large portion of you. This is why the world is the way it is today...No one is allowed to be upset, otherwise you're a 'Karen' - well maybe I'm old school but fuck that!

No big deal! $100k car that you've waited months for now has a potentially bad engine, no word or communication from BMW with the exception of taking down the site that provided the intel which started this thread to begin with, almost a week ago.

I was ready to order one of these loads a week ago. I find this troubling and less than confidence inspiring and I doubt that this is an isolated issue that affects a small portion of cars because I'm a cynic and realist and have watched these types of issues occur with almost every generation of M.

I really want one of these cars and feel they are the best value for the money, I empathize with everyone affected from the sidelines...but some of you need to grow some balls and get loud before you get nothing. Be pushovers with your significant others, not with your hundred thousand dollar automobiles.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      10-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #395
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1gio2 View Post
I can't believe the acceptance of mediocrity and lack of conformance quality by a large portion of you. This is why the world is the way it is today...No one is allowed to be upset, otherwise you're a 'Karen' - well maybe I'm old school but fuck that!

No big deal! $100k car that you've waited months for now has a potentially bad engine, no word or communication from BMW with the exception of taking down the site that provided the intel which started this thread to begin with, almost a week ago.

I was ready to order one of these loads a week ago. I find this troubling and less than confidence inspiring and I doubt that this is an isolated issue that affects a small portion of cars because I'm a cynic and realist and have watched these types of issues occur with almost every generation of M.

I really want one of these cars and feel they are the best value for the money, I empathize with everyone affected from the sidelines...but some of you need to grow some balls and get loud before you get nothing. Be pushovers with your significant others, not with your hundred thousand dollar automobiles.
Dude, relax. Chill on the am coffee. Nobody is accepting anything. We haven't even been formally notified. There's no info yet. Let's wait and see what BMWNA says before we jump off the deep end. That's all we (levelheaded people) are saying.

I am one of the ones who appears to be affected, but there's literally no info out yet. There's no acceptance of anything.

Let's see what the issue is, what the notification is, what the fix is, and what they intend on doing to make it right before we blow a gasket.

I'm typically a hot head and over reactor, but we just need to chill for the minute.
Appreciate 6
omaralt761.00
kith_m4186.50
darrelljs142.00
TXGrey1266.00
      10-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #396
omaralt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1gio2 View Post

actually the world is the way it is because of blowhards like yourself who act without proper knowledge. Lets review the facts:

1- there is no official recall yet.
2- it seems like a very small amount of cars are affected

those are the only facts so far. Everything is else is speculation. So what exactly are you wanting us to get loud about? yell at the SA who has nothing to do with this? or yell at the salesman? write an angry email to the GM?

the proper way to do handle this is to wait and see what will need to be done and how it will be done. Will this require an engine replacement? Will it take a few months to resolve? will i have a comparable loaner to drive?

once you have all the facts laid out in front of you, then you can figure out the course of action. But yelling and screaming like a crazy person from the get go will get you nowhere. I'm a business owner and deal with people. Anyone who comes at me yelling and screaming will get their ass booted out the door. Those that come at me calmly and reasonably will get the best outcome.

so relax
Appreciate 9
Gfit2693.50
iviegatron2527.00
sleepy75104.00
darrelljs142.00
TXGrey1266.00