BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

01-10-2022, 05:23 PM   #221
DCG82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BWM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr_M3 View Post
I just got off the phone with a Genius rep and she provided me with her take on why my G80 has been held up in QC for nearly two months, saying that her best guess from speaking with the various groups within BMW is that it's likely due to issues the with interior parts that need to be color matched to the leather rather than RAM or amplifier parts since those can be installed at the VPCs as part of a stop sale. If others out there who are held up chose an leather color other than black (my build has Silverstone) then this explanation would make sense.
Odd explanation but my build does have Silverstone as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #222
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current, G80 Comp - IOMG, Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG82 View Post
Quote:
I just got off the phone with a Genius rep and she provided me with her take on why my G80 has been held up in QC for nearly two months, saying that her best guess from speaking with the various groups within BMW is that it's likely due to issues the with interior parts that need to be color matched to the leather rather than RAM or amplifier parts since those can be installed at the VPCs as part of a stop sale. If others out there who are held up chose an leather color other than black (my build has Silverstone) then this explanation would make sense.
Odd explanation but my build does have Silverstone as well.
EDIT: Adding it's full KO. Is it the "full" pieces that are taking so damn long?

I'm going on two months in QC with full KO interior - the theory does make sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #223
bruce911_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_M3 View Post
I'm going on two months in QC with KO interior - the theory does make sense.
Fiona red for me, full leather

Last edited by bruce911_; 01-10-2022 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #224
JWBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, M4 & X5 45e

Quote:
I just got off the phone with a Genius rep and she provided me with her take on why my G80 has been held up in QC for nearly two months, saying that her best guess from speaking with the various groups within BMW is that it's likely due to issues with the interior parts that need to be color matched to the leather rather than RAM or amplifier parts since those can be installed at the VPCs as part of a stop sale. If others out there who are held up chose a leather color other than black (my build has Silverstone) then this explanation would make sense.

Interesting. Did you order extended or full leather?
      01-10-2022, 06:29 PM   #225
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp RWD Oxide Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBimmer View Post
Quote:
I just got off the phone with a Genius rep and she provided me with her take on why my G80 has been held up in QC for nearly two months, saying that her best guess from speaking with the various groups within BMW is that it's likely due to issues with the interior parts that need to be color matched to the leather rather than RAM or amplifier parts since those can be installed at the VPCs as part of a stop sale. If others out there who are held up chose a leather color other than black (my build has Silverstone) then this explanation would make sense.

Interesting. Did you order extended or full leather?
I ordered full leather so I'm curious whether it's related to that.
Appreciate 1
ATX_M3185.50
      01-10-2022, 07:22 PM   #226
Mowe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2022 BMW M4   [10.00]
I have full KO and am not in QC. In transit now / week 49
      01-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #227
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowe View Post
Interesting - and good for you! (Seriously - not being a jerk…)

Playing guess on check on what might make your car pass thru QC vs. ours, do you mind sharing your spec?

I just can't bring myself to believe a German manufacturing firm is randomly holding cars - there "must" be some method to this madness, right? Right??
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:45 PM   #228
Mowe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2022 BMW M4   [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowe View Post
Interesting - and good for you! (Seriously - not being a jerk…)

Playing guess on check on what might make your car pass thru QC vs. ours, do you mind sharing your spec?

I just can't bring myself to believe a German manufacturing firm is randomly holding cars - there "must" be some method to this madness, right? Right??
G82 / X

Buckets, ceramics, full KO, laser, exec, parking, etc… loaded.
      01-10-2022, 10:31 PM   #229
Macheins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Marina Bay M3 xDrive

Garage List
Just reporting in on the new theory. Full Silverstone here. Stuck in purgatory since Nov 19.
      01-10-2022, 10:47 PM   #230
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

The interior color theory sounds dubious. Black is a color too no different than the others. Why would they not have parts for every other color except tons of parts for black?
Taking a step back, what interior parts even need to be color matched to the color of the leather? I don't think there are any right?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:57 PM   #231
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
The interior color theory sounds dubious. Black is a color too no different than the others. Why would they not have parts for every other color except tons of parts for black?
Taking a step back, what interior parts even need to be color matched to the color of the leather? I don't think there are any right?
No idea as I didn't specifically ask which parts. This was conjecture on her part as she was double checking an inquiry another Genius rep opened on my behalf when I vented over email last week regarding the excessive delays and lack of communication. She told me the other rep would be reaching out tomorrow with a more specific explanation/update.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 11:03 PM   #232
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I haven't read all 11 pages here, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that G80 and G82 are not made at the same factory. G82 is made at Dingolfing and G80 is built at Munich. There could be different shortages at the 2 factories, or shortages of parts not shared.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:37 AM   #233
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
No interior parts are color-matched to the color of leather (I have full Silverstone).

Is there any correlation between Carbon Buckets and QC delays?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:54 AM   #234
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Full Leather Silverstone... QC since 11/3.

Even if that Genius is blowing 100% smoke it's weirdly a refreshing change to see SOMEBODY say SOMETHING vs what we've had.

BMW should be ashamed - Curious if they're the worst or what other OEM's are doing to communicate with waiting customers...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #235
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I got a call back this morning from BMW Genius in response to my inquiry and it was the same oft-repeated CID/RAM issue cited for my delay with no timeframe for resolution. I pressed him on why it seems cars after Week 46 seem to be getting through but all he said that cars in QC right now have the same issue. He did say that once I get the car I could reach out and try to get some sort of compensation in the form of a lifestyle credit or monthly payment adjustment.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #236
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

We all know that BMW (like all manufacturers) need to keep their plants operating. During week 46 (ish), they chose to build cars knowing that some of the parts were not available - cool, makes sense. Now, it appears there are enough of those parts to keep the plants running and ship / deliver cars but not enough to handle the backlog of cars sitting in QC.

I'm sure this all comes down to $$ - if they build, ship, and deliver cars now, they can recognize the revenue and have a lower cost to build vs. using those parts to get cars (like ours) out of QC and then have newly built cars go into QC to be touched again when they have supply. We all hoped this would be a first-in, first-out with our cars in QC - who knows what's really going on but it seems like we might be waiting a (little? Lot?) while longer…

I had my first M3, a 2016 M3 ZCP, be impacted by a rear differential stop sale issued the morning I was sitting in the car in South Carolina for PCD. That was annoying but BMW's customer service was amazing. This time around is far more irritating…
Appreciate 1
adr_M3368.50
      01-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #237
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

Quote:
I'm sure this all comes down to $$ - if they build, ship, and deliver cars now, they can recognize the revenue and have a lower cost to build vs. using those parts to get cars (like ours) out of QC and then have newly built cars go into QC to be touched again when they have supply. We all hoped this would be a first-in, first-out with our cars in QC - who knows what's really going on but it seems like we might be waiting a (little? Lot?) while longer…
This makes sense to me. We have to assume that the hundreds of cars from week 43-47 stuck in QC awaiting their parts had to prepped for long term storage and moved to a storage facility god knows how far from the factory they were manufactured. This process costs money and takes time. Therefore, you would not want to follow a first in first out method in supplying the missing parts. Instead, it's much more economical to give the parts to the cars rolling off the assembly line, and only get to the cars stored remotely when there is a surplus of the missing parts that aren't needed on the factory floor. In short, this follows the old adage money talks, bullshit walks. Unfortunately, we are the bullshit in this equation according to BMW.
Appreciate 2
ATX_M3185.50
adr_M3368.50
      01-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #238
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This makes sense to me. We have to assume that the hundreds of cars from week 43-47 stuck in QC awaiting their parts had to prepped for long term storage and moved to a storage facility god knows how far from the factory they were manufactured. This process costs money and takes time. Therefore, you would not want to follow a first in first out method in supplying the missing parts. Instead, it's much more economical to give the parts to the cars rolling off the assembly line, and only get to the cars stored remotely when there is a surplus of the missing parts that aren't needed on the factory floor. In short, this follows the old adage money talks, bullshit walks. Unfortunately, we are the bullshit in this equation according to BMW.
Yup, we are the bullshit for sure. If I "threaten" to walk away from my G80 and keep my F80, there are a line of people at my dealership who have been waiting for a G80 who'd love the "we have one available, come in tonight and pick it up" phone call…. No sweat off BMW NA or my dealer's back - hell, they might even be able to sell at a higher markup than what I had negotiated as a repeat customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #239
ZulaM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On Order

Ordered in July (Individual) - Week 46 - 11/19 - 155 - Silverstone - Stuck

Ordered in November (Regular) - Week 47 - 12/2 - 155 - Fiona - Stuck
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #240
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We all know that BMW (like all manufacturers) need to keep their plants operating. During week 46 (ish), they chose to build cars knowing that some of the parts were not available - cool, makes sense. Now, it appears there are enough of those parts to keep the plants running and ship / deliver cars but not enough to handle the backlog of cars sitting in QC.

I had my first M3, a 2016 M3 ZCP, be impacted by a rear differential stop sale issued the morning I was sitting in the car in South Carolina for PCD. That was annoying but BMW's customer service was amazing. This time around is far more irritating…
This seems like the most plausible scenario. Both the Genius and my dealer's regional rep said the cars in QC are 99% built however are just waiting on the aforementioned CID/RAM components. Why these issues can't be fixed at the VPCs is still a mystery. This begs the question though if are cars are not on the assembly line, then are they simply parked on some outside lot exposed to the elements?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:14 PM   #241
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
This seems like the most plausible scenario. Both the Genius and my dealer's regional rep said the cars in QC are 99% built however are just waiting on the aforementioned CID/RAM components. Why these issues can't be fixed at the VPCs is still a mystery. This begs the question though if are cars are not on the assembly line, then are they simply parked on some outside lot exposed to the elements?

My car sat in QC for 2+ months and it was supposed to be getting a RAM rework.

Car finally made it on a boat and now it is sitting at the VPC for the RAM stop sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:27 PM   #242
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yup, we are the bullshit for sure. If I "threaten" to walk away from my G80 and keep my F80, there are a line of people at my dealership who have been waiting for a G80 who'd love the "we have one available, come in tonight and pick it up" phone call…. No sweat off BMW NA or my dealer's back - hell, they might even be able to sell at a higher markup than what I had negotiated as a repeat customer.
This is precisely why my dealer didn't require a deposit nor credit check when I got my allocation; they know if I don't want the car anymore for whatever reason they will find a new buyer willing to take it in a heartbeat (case in point: they had a lightly specced BSM G80 comp on their website that was gone in less than 24 hours).
Appreciate 0