BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

11-29-2021, 04:10 PM   #23
fvfvsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 | '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG82 View Post
Please elaborate
I'm not going to speak about BMW (or the company I work for) specifically, since that would probably not be a good idea - but in general, most of the issue we have here has been exacerbated by the OEMs' tier 1 suppliers. The guys who make the seats, the lights, the engine accessories, etc. basically dropped the ball when EVERY semi supplier (AFAIK) approached them last year and asked politely to provide an accurate demand picture so they would be supported, given the extreme levels of demand from every other industry.

This eventually became an issue for the OEMs when things like heated steering wheels and exhaust components were derailing large swaths of production.

So, all of them are trying to get creative to keep the factories running.

Some of the workarounds involve last-minute redesigns with substitute devices - Tesla is probably best known for this, but all are considering it in some capacity. These are usually okay as long as the substitute device is compatible, and the software has been vetted.

Other workarounds involve going to a random Chinese distributor and buying grey market parts. This year, I've had several discussions with our sales team after their customer (none of my conversations were auto-specific) purchased parts marked as "our" devices that clearly were not from us. I'm told that at least 2 auto manufacturers have been bitten by this - luckily the parts were identified as fakes before they were used.

There are others, but I think you get the gist. IMHO, BMW has been pretty good, and I respect that they are decontenting and redesigning rather than some of the other methods to get cars out the door. But I'd just as soon get a car with the parts they originally intended to be included.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #24
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

I hope you guys realize that this was hyperbole
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #25
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
I didn't read any hyperbole in your post. Did BMW contact you after you created this thread to cover their bases?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:17 PM   #26
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I didn't read any hyperbole in your post. Did BMW contact you after you created this thread to cover their bases?
You didn't hear? they are shut down until after the new year
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:29 PM   #27
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
You didn't hear? they are shut down until after the new year
Unfortunately the reality you described is akin to a lot of buyers these days. So your use of hyperbole is an uncomfortable reality for many
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #28
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Unfortunately the reality you described is akin to a lot of buyers these days. So your use of hyperbole is an uncomfortable reality for many
Oh trust me I know. I was literally storytelling my experience. I am still in stage 3 so I was trying to guesstimate what 4 and 5 would look like for me.

Just found out my order was pushed to February! I was suppose to start production this week but got bumped.

I tend to be a very impatient individual so this experience has not been easy for me and I have a feeling its only going to get worse.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113233.50
      11-29-2021, 07:41 PM   #29
fvfvsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 | '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Wouldn’t be so funny if it weren’t true.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #30
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Stage 1- Deposit placed- MSRP with 0.9% financing. The dealership told you you should have your production number soon. You come on the forums to gloat to everyone. You are on top of the world. You may have even ordered a few mods so they get here on time. Little do you know.....

Stage 2- Its been 3 months since you put down your initial deposit. You now have 12 deposits at different dealerships spanning the entire country. You finally get a call from one of them- allocation secured! You come on the forums and post your status on your designated week number thread. You now have a posse.

Stage 3- You check mygarage 12 times a day hoping for something to happen but it never does. You scour the forums and every other thread is about a deletion or shortage. Your build week has been pushed 8 times. The anxiety is at its highest here. You go to kilter.come to see if there is a finished car you can pickup instead of waiting. You have even contemplated paying $10k over MSRP just so you can be out of this misery.

Stage 4- Production started!You open that dusty box of mods that you ordered and imagine how they would look like on your car. You call your detailer and start putting tentative dates down for your PPF. You know in your heart that you will take delivery in 30 days or less...

Stage 5- Car is here! You no longer give a shit. You are dead inside. You've been stuck at QC for 8 weeks and you have 3 stop sales. Your dealer just informed you that they need to charge above MSRP and that 0.9% financing no longer applies. Its been so long since you ordered the car that you dont even remember the color. You either take it or buy a Subaru.
Parts of this ring true, but I’ve lucked out in other regards, so on balance it’s worked out as well as current circumstances will allow.

1) Dealer #1 couldn’t get an allocation, but dealer #2 did within a month. (Credit to this forum for tipping me off about dealer #2.). Deal struck at MSRP and base lease/financing rate.

2) Having a posse to exchange ups and downs has been great, both for learning and commiserating.

3) I was told Week 40 when I got a production number and, lo and behold, the car’s final assembly date was the Friday before Week 40.

4) This stage is really from ‘produced’ to VPC. My car skirts the QC black hole and reaches port the weekday after it was built. It misses the first couple vessels it might have boarded but makes the next one, so no abnormally long wait at port. Incremental delays at intermediary ports of call means it arrives at its destination port a couple days late. No biggie; at least I can track the ship and KNOW. Then it waits its turn to resolves its stop sale. Check the shortcut tracking link umpteen times a day, till finally it shows as closed. Again, delay is nothing extraordinary. Text my CA the good news.

5) My dealer honors the numbers to which we agreed months ago. DocuSign all the paperwork from 1,000 miles away. Only wrinkle is, detail shop where I’m taking delivery and with whom I’d stayed in touch since before production is now booked 4 weeks out, so unavailable to apply PPF. Line up the local shop (also booked out a month) and order/receive XPEL Tracwrap for the 1,000 mile drive home.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #31
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Parts of this ring true, but I’ve lucked out in other regards, so on balance it’s worked out as well as current circumstances will allow.

1) Dealer #1 couldn’t get an allocation, but dealer #2 did within a month. (Credit to this forum for tipping me off about dealer #2.). Deal struck at MSRP and base lease/financing rate.

2) Having a posse to exchange ups and downs has been great, both for learning and commiserating.

3) I was told Week 40 when I got a production number and, lo and behold, the car’s final assembly date was the Friday before Week 40.

4) This stage is really from ‘produced’ to VPC. My car skirts the QC black hole and reaches port the weekday after it was built. It misses the first couple vessels it might have boarded but makes the next one, so no abnormally long wait at port. Incremental delays at intermediary ports of call means it arrives at its destination port a couple days late. No biggie; at least I can track the ship and KNOW. Then it waits its turn to resolves its stop sale. Check the shortcut tracking link umpteen times a day, till finally it shows as closed. Again, delay is nothing extraordinary. Text my CA the good news.

5) My dealer honors the numbers to which we agreed months ago. DocuSign all the paperwork from 1,000 miles away. Only wrinkle is, detail shop where I’m taking delivery and with whom I’d stayed in touch since before production is now booked 4 weeks out, so unavailable to apply PPF. Line up the local shop (also booked out a month) and order/receive XPEL Tracwrap for the 1,000 mile drive home.

did you pre-order any mods though?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:41 PM   #32
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

No, but sort of ..

A pair of rims (before I had a production number), full set of winter tires (before car went into production), floor liners and differential fluid (while in production), some detailing products to round out my arsenal, and an electric portable pressure washer.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #33
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

you miss STAGE 6 - The car is here after a 12 months waiting! But....BMW has just announced an LCI. After waiting for it for more than a year, without any decent comunication from BMW or from your dealer....you discover you bought an "old" version of your brand new car, that will depreciate faster than a ray of light. The frustration is at the top end ever now.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 2
Sbm007612.50
      12-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #34
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
you miss STAGE 6 - The car is here after a 12 months waiting! But....BMW has just announced an LCI. After waiting for it for more than a year, without any decent comunication from BMW or from your dealer....you discover you bought an "old" version of your brand new car, that will depreciate faster than a ray of light. The frustration is at the top end ever now.
Yeah, the 23 model will be the M3 LCI and orderable next summer...so I'm getting to the stage if I even got an allocation soon for 22 it probably makes sense to just wait and get an allocation for 23 LCI model.
Appreciate 1
V-Eight791.50
      12-03-2021, 10:11 AM   #35
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hard on stage 3 today. Sent 100 requests on kilter today seeing if there is any cars in stock. Not good.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #36
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Hard on stage 3 today. Sent 100 requests on kilter today seeing if there is any cars in stock. Not good.
is kilter like hinge for cars? LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #37
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Quote:
is kilter like hinge for cars? LOL
It's like tinder. But for bmws
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #38
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I am currently in stage 4. Got my vin today!

I already found out that Bmw is increasing financing rates
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #39
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
I am currently in stage 4. Got my vin today!

I already found out that Bmw is increasing financing rates
You should update stage 5 by adding BMW to the culprit list.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #40
madsbmr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F83

Quote:
Stage 1- Deposit placed- MSRP with 0.9% financing. The dealership told you you should have your production number soon. You come on the forums to gloat to everyone. You are on top of the world. You may have even ordered a few mods so they get here on time. Little do you know.....

Stage 2- Its been 3 months since you put down your initial deposit. You now have 12 deposits at different dealerships spanning the entire country. You finally get a call from one of them- allocation secured! You come on the forums and post your status on your designated week number thread. You now have a posse.

Stage 3- You check mygarage 12 times a day hoping for something to happen but it never does. You scour the forums and every other thread is about a deletion or shortage. Your build week has been pushed 8 times. The anxiety is at its highest here. You go to kilter.come to see if there is a finished car you can pickup instead of waiting. You have even contemplated paying $10k over MSRP just so you can be out of this misery.

Stage 4- Production started!You open that dusty box of mods that you ordered and imagine how they would look like on your car. You call your detailer and start putting tentative dates down for your PPF. You know in your heart that you will take delivery in 30 days or less...

Stage 5- Car is here! You no longer give a shit. You are dead inside. You've been stuck at QC for 8 weeks and you have 3 stop sales. Your dealer just informed you that they need to charge above MSRP and that 0.9% financing no longer applies. Its been so long since you ordered the car that you dont even remember the color. You either take it or buy a Subaru.
I am rethinking is it worth going through the process and forget what I ordered for...I really wanted to buy and it has become like home buying process here in US west coast...I wish BMW chips in to ease the process by making it a single queue for allotment.. not by dealer..huh whatever works to ease the pain
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 02:15 PM   #41
Brpnw17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22' G80 XDrive DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG82 View Post
Although I have pricing in writing from my CA and Sales Manager, I am worried my dealership will get greedy and pull some nonsense when/if the car becomes available. I love cars but hate the buying experience. Honestly the best experience I ever had was buying a MB. Sales and service were unlike anything else I have experienced. Top notch. But given this environment, I believe everyone is desperate and it’s hard to say how this will end.
We just bought my Fiance a GLB AMG from MB Seattle and it was honestly the worst experience i have ever had with a dealership. Lexus has been the best experience i've had with any carmaker thus far, although BMW NW has been pretty great with the last couple of cars ive purchased with them. I have a feeling it is a dealer by dealer basis with experiences.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #42
hotpxl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

I'm still stage 1, long way to go!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 03:35 PM   #43
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competion RWD

How safe are those of us that just got a production number yesterday in terms of keeping the loam rate?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #44
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal50028 View Post
How safe are those of us that just got a production number yesterday in terms of keeping the loam rate?
Unless you ran a credit application and locked your rate on or before 1/2, you will be getting the updated APR.
Appreciate 0