BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #705
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4C

If you read nothing else read this:
According to the info passed to me regarding my vehicle, if your status 150 production start date is within the OP timeframe, you might be effected. You could also be flagged for the issue if your vehicle was being built during this time period but started earlier.

All please take this with a grain of salt. This is by no means is 100% accurate, just passing along what I learned today after talking to the GM of the dealership I'm working with.

I would think this more so applies to those waiting to take delivery with a stop sale, as opposed to those who already have their cars and have been informed that they have this potential recall:

I was originally build WK 29 and entered status 150 on 7/7 (key!). My car just arrived in Galveston on 10/20 and was told that I have the stop sale for this issue. Like others, it showed up in the UK site for a small period of time (no longer shows there) but not ever on the US site. The stop sale does show up on one of the two systems at the dealership - the second shows no open recall issues. I don't really know what the different systems are (sorry!), nor do I know which one it shows up in (sorry again! - maybe someone else can provide more color on this). This prompted the GM to contact the VPC and whoever else to learn more b/c apparently this is not normal.

Now the fun part... if your vehicle entered 150 status (production begins) within the dates specified in the OP, then there is a chance you were impacted. Allegedly, if you are on the cusp or your vehicle was being built during this period but production started before then (i.e. me with a 150 status on 7/7 and others on here) then they flagged it as stop sale (or maybe a potential recall issue for those with their cars already). That being said, my stop sale could be lifted and released to the carrier as early as the weekend or next week. Otherwise, the stop sale will remain in place, and it's likely that I have the issue. Lastly, my GM was told that there IS NOT a BMW provided solution at this time, no timeline of when or how it will be resolved, the severity, nor has anything been passed along to him or whoever he talked to at the VPC, etc.

I hope this is somewhat helpful or at least makes it as clear as mud.

Cheers and happy weekend folks!
Appreciate 3
      10-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #706
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubb88 View Post
According to the info passed to me regarding my vehicle, if your status 150 production start date is within the OP timeframe, you might be effected. You could also be flagged for the issue if your vehicle was being built during this time period but started earlier.

All please take this with a grain of salt. This is by no means is 100% accurate, just passing along what I learned today after talking to the GM of the dealership I'm working with.

I would think this more so applies to those waiting to take delivery with a stop sale, as opposed to those who already have their cars and have been informed that they have this potential recall:

I was originally build WK 29 and entered status 150 on 7/7 (key!). My car just arrived in Galveston on 10/20 and was told that I have the stop sale for this issue. Like others, it showed up in the UK site for a small period of time (no longer shows there) but not ever on the US site. The stop sale does show up on one of the two systems at the dealership - the second shows no open recall issues. I don't really know what the different systems are (sorry!), nor do I know which one it shows up in (sorry again! - maybe someone else can provide more color on this). This prompted the GM to contact the VPC and whoever else to learn more b/c apparently this is not normal.

Now the fun part... if your vehicle entered 150 status (production begins) within the dates specified in the OP, then there is a chance you were impacted. Allegedly, if you are on the cusp or your vehicle was being built during this period but production started before then (i.e. me with a 150 status on 7/7 and others on here) then they flagged it as stop sale (or maybe a potential recall issue for those with their cars already). That being said, my stop sale could be lifted and released to the carrier as early as the weekend or next week. Otherwise, the stop sale will remain in place, and it's likely that I have the issue. Lastly, my GM was told that there IS NOT a BMW provided solution at this time, no timeline of when or how it will be resolved, the severity, nor has anything been passed along to him or whoever he talked to at the VPC, etc.

so here's the fly in the ointment....i have a G82 that FINISHED production on 9/7. The date range for G82's is from 7/16 - 9/7. The vehicle was never listed on the UK recall site and my CA, today, confirmed that the only holds on the car were for the chips.

in the absence of documentation/a statement from BMW...EVERYONE is just guessing. from the dealerships to the customers.
Appreciate 1
Tdubb88188.50
      10-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #707
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

Quote:

Having a hard time understanding. So later the production date the higher possibility the car is unaffected or affected?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #708
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

To add….aren’t there engine build prior of the car coming into production? So how do we know our cars are affected or does the engine gets build the same day as the production date.
Just Bc your car falls within that gap…the engine could had been build months ago idk just thinking here.
Appreciate 1
MannyS357.00
      10-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #709
kallie
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
so here's the fly in the ointment....i have a G82 that FINISHED production on 9/7. The date range for G82's is from 7/16 - 9/7. The vehicle was never listed on the UK recall site and my CA, today, confirmed that the only holds on the car were for the chips.

in the absence of documentation/a statement from BMW...EVERYONE is just guessing. from the dealerships to the customers.

I am like you but the other end - I went 150 production begins on 9/7 but I called genius and they said my actual production date is 9/27 (the day it went 160) which is well outside the range, IF that is the date they are going by. Vin decoder says production date is 9/27 as well. It was released to carrier today.
Appreciate 1
Tdubb88188.50
      10-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #710
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@MavRick 100% agree this is all speculation. Just sharing what I learned
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #711
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g80 Portimaoblue View Post
Quote:

Having a hard time understanding. So later the production date the higher possibility the car is unaffected or affected?
No clue if later or earlier matters just was told that if your production date started within that window you could be affected.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 06:02 PM   #712
///LeFrenchie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Does anyone know if a car has been delivered to an European customer? We're 1 month after the affected production date according to the info bulletin. I think it can be a good indicator about the engine crisis control. If the new engine batch exists and fully operational or not at all... in this case it can also mean that all cars built from mid-July to now are affected.

Last edited by ///LeFrenchie; 10-22-2021 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 08:56 PM   #713
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Some good news for Canadian owners - looks like some of the VIN's included on the original stop delivery list have been removed and are no longer subject to the stop delivery/recall. Also, no cars have been added to the updated list, or none that I could see. So this could even be a smaller issue than what was originally thought.
Appreciate 3
savi01134.50
Tdubb88188.50
LSP72.00
      10-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #714
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
To add….aren’t there engine build prior of the car coming into production? So how do we know our cars are affected or does the engine gets build the same day as the production date.
Just Bc your car falls within that gap…the engine could had been build months ago idk just thinking here.
Yes. Engine build is a completely different process.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
MannyS357.00
      10-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #715
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Exactly. So why are they basing it on the car production that’s the part I don’t understand.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 09:53 PM   #716
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Exactly. So why are they basing it on the car production that's the part I don't understand.
They are not. Those are the date ranges of car assembly that includes the affected engines.

Nobody knows when their engine was built, but it's not hard to lookup the car. Not all cars produced in those date ranges are affected, but none outside the range are.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:49 PM   #717
Brendan///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Some good news for Canadian owners - looks like some of the VIN's included on the original stop delivery list have been removed and are no longer subject to the stop delivery/recall. Also, no cars have been added to the updated list, or none that I could see. So this could even be a smaller issue than what was originally thought.
How much shorter would you say the list got? I will call Genius tomorrow and see if my VIN has been removed.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 01:59 AM   #718
m4compgang
SOLD: ‘16 F83 M4, ‘22 G82 M4CX CURRENT: ‘23 M3CX
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan///M View Post
How much shorter would you say the list got? I will call Genius tomorrow and see if my VIN has been removed.

Where can I see this list of VIN’s? My car production date was July 30. I took delivery in Vancouver BC a month ago. I have been driving the car since then with no issues and my vin doesnt show recalls. Also my dealer has mentioned there is no recall, seeing this list of Canadian VIN’s effected by this issue will be very helpful for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 02:01 AM   #719
m4compgang
SOLD: ‘16 F83 M4, ‘22 G82 M4CX CURRENT: ‘23 M3CX
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive

Quote:
Would you be able to provide the list ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #720
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Exactly. So why are they basing it on the car production that's the part I don't understand.
Its because BMW can piece the puzzles better with their onw and end product data (vehicle production dates). They would have tons of data to back track sub components.

Recalls are never made with sub component information as the OEM owns the entire product even if it comes from a supplier.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #721
Osiris888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

I can confirm that as per my dealer my VIN is now showing as being cleared of any
Open recalls, campaigns, or stop sales. This is interesting because as of a few days ago I was showing as being affected by the main bearing shell issue.

While part of me is relieved by this part of me is also wondering if everything is above board or whether once BMW investigates further a new recall or campaign will be launched.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #722
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris888 View Post
I can confirm that as per my dealer my VIN is now showing as being cleared of any
Open recalls, campaigns, or stop sales. This is interesting because as of a few days ago I was showing as being affected by the main bearing shell issue.

While part of me is relieved by this part of me is also wondering if everything is above board or whether once BMW investigates further a new recall or campaign will be launched.
It wouldn't be the first time. But as of right now, BMW likely did their investigating and at this time, they have narrowed it down to a very specific set of VIN's.

The original list was not a definitive list of cars affected - they fell into a parameter that was flagged and BMW had to issue a recall/stop delivery to limit any sort of liability and to perform their analysis. As of yesterday, they seemed to have narrowed down affected Canadian VIN's.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #723
Chava777
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3C X

Quote:

Quote:
Any way to check if VIN has been cleared other than my CA/ dealer?
As illogical as this might sound, my CA appears to be in the dark or just failed to be transparent disclosing accurate info (even before this issue).
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #724
Brendan///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava777 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Any way to check if VIN has been cleared other than my CA/ dealar?
As illogical as this might sound, my CA appears to be in the dark or just failed to be transparent disclosing accurate info (even before this issue).
Yes, call BMW Genius hotline. They just opened. I was just informed that there is no longer a stop sale on my car, so will be picking her up today.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #725
Stickman80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition X-Driv

Quick update. I was on BMW financial services website when this first popped up. They wouldn't provide a payoff quote due to an open recall on my VIN. Just logged in today to check. No open recall is listed now and I can pull a payoff again. Build date is 7/28/21. Maybe there is some hope. I think the information given to the dealerships was a list of possible cars that had bearing issues. Now they are sorting through the info to see which cars actually have an issue.

I guess I'll be the optimist here lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #726
PIF64
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman80 View Post
Quick update. I was on BMW financial services website when this first popped up. They wouldn't provide a payoff quote due to an open recall on my VIN. Just logged in today to check. No open recall is listed now and I can pull a payoff again. Build date is 7/28/21. Maybe there is some hope. I think the information given to the dealerships was a list of possible cars that had bearing issues. Now they are sorting through the info to see which cars actually have an issue.

I guess I'll be the optimist here lol.
I am due to collect a G80 xdrive this week that went into production around 28/09 and genius says no recalls or stop sales showing
Appreciate 0