BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-22-2021, 12:35 AM   #683
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubb88 View Post
This was interesting. Seems like it would've been more relevant to post it here

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28169732
Wow so only 35 cars were affected?
Appreciate 1
zatbmw12.50
      10-22-2021, 01:26 AM   #684
eclipsenf
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have a small update from my dealer in Australia. They said in their system that they only have 1 car affected by this recall, and my car built late September, is not affected, as was shown on the UK recall site for me previously. So good luck everybody
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:34 AM   #685
wickeded
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp LCI 2022

I know it's a hard thing to answer but do we think every car that has had the error is going to undertake work or will it be an inspection and then a decision if work needs doing?

Last edited by wickeded; 10-22-2021 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #686
Audicy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sottozero View Post
My understanding is that this is a stop sale, not a stop drive. I think you will get your car back.
Not here, took my M4 in for its break-in service and stone chip repair... an hour later they called me and said they can't release the car.

However, my situation is unique in that they delivered the car the day after the stop delivery was issued. BMW apparently won't finalize the sale and BMW Financing won't pay the dealer. So even after I've had the car sin e the 9th (2 weeks) they stole it back without consent.

BMW Durham in Ontario, Canada
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 06:49 AM   #687
Sottozero
Private
Rep
Drives: X3MC 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audicy View Post
Not here, took my M4 in for its break-in service and stone chip repair... an hour later they called me and said they can't release the car.

However, my situation is unique in that they delivered the car the day after the stop delivery was issued. BMW apparently won't finalize the sale and BMW Financing won't pay the dealer. So even after I've had the car sin e the 9th (2 weeks) they stole it back without consent.

I think they are not releasing your car because your situation is extremely edge-case, as you note.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #688
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audicy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sottozero View Post
My understanding is that this is a stop sale, not a stop drive. I think you will get your car back.

What are they giving you in terms of compensation? I assume they will have to waive the payments and give you a car while this is going on?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 07:07 AM   #689
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. Everyone should read this.

To me the article suggests they really have no idea exactly how many cars are affected, but for now it is 35. This is a bit concerning to me as they may need to go back to the drawing board and change the process by which they develop the bearing shells.

The fact that it was uncovered during a routine quality check suggests there could have been additional cars, both before and after the quality check, they may have been affected.

I hope you guys aren't losing too much sleep over this. Although disheartening, at the end of the day it is a car, and hopefully you can sell it for near what you bought it for and upgrade to a 2023 next year once they get it sorted out.
      10-22-2021, 07:17 AM   #690
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzbimmer View Post
Quote:

Thanks for sharing. Everyone should read this.

To me the article suggests they really have no idea exactly how many cars are affected, but for now it is 35. This is a bit concerning to me as they may need to go back to the drawing board and change the process by which they develop the bearing shells.

The fact that it was uncovered during a routine quality check suggests there could have been additional cars, both before and after the quality check, they may have been affected.

I hope you guys aren't losing too much sleep over this. Although disheartening, at the end of the day it is a car, and hopefully you can sell it for near what you bought it for and upgrade to a 2023 next year once they get it sorted out.
My best guess at the 35 number is just the number of cars in Germany or something, but who knows. I think there are more than 35 people on this thread that have indicated they were impacted
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #691
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

35 seems like too low.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13438.00
      10-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #692
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

alot to digest and read so please pardon the ignorance:

When the thread first was posted I went to the UK Recall site and my car tested positive for bearingshell21.... and of course the US site has nada

Yesterday I retried the UK site and now its says my car does not have any pending recalls; the US site says the same shit = nada.

Anyone have an idea here or an educated guess? FYI- Im driving the car hard and faster than ever so fuck off bearing shells!!!!!!!!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 3
      10-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #693
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post

When the thread first was posted I went to the UK Recall site and my car tested positive for bearingshell21.... and of course the US site has nada

Yesterday I retried the UK site and now its says my car does not have any pending recalls; the US site says the same shit = nada.

Anyone have an idea here or an educated guess? FYI- Im driving the car hard and faster than ever so fuck off bearing shells!!!!!!!!
BMW caught wind...after all the calls asking for explanations...of the UK site. they were caught with their pants down. so they took it (the site) offline for a day. when it came back up...NO ONE had the bearing recall. but it still relayed info concerning chip recalls. BMW, likely, just wiped the bearing stuff of the interwebs until they can make a formal announcement regarding the issue.
Appreciate 3
Vic5519354.50
bmw noob1442.50
Limegrntaln13438.00
      10-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #694
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
BMW caught wind...after all the calls asking for explanations...of the UK site. they were caught with their pants down. so they took it (the site) offline for a day. when it came back up...NO ONE had the bearing recall. but it still relayed info concerning chip recalls. BMW, likely, just wiped the bearing stuff of the interwebs until they can make a formal announcement regarding the issue.
Yup.
Appreciate 1
bmw noob1442.50
      10-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #695
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hahahaha same here….sin miedo
Appreciate 2
Vic5519354.50
bmw noob1442.50
      10-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #696
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Thats my mentality

Lets fucking goooooooooooooooo

Unless its one's only car
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
Tdubb88188.50
      10-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #697
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats my mentality

Totally agree!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #698
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats my mentality

Like me.
Appreciate 1
bmw noob1442.50
      10-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #699
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

The fact that BMW proactively issued a recall suggests that it's in response to a possible known part defect for a specific production batch or a known period where installation/testing procedures may have been incorrect or incorrectly followed. It certainly doesn't appear to be in response to any actual failures (unless they happened at the factory during QC).

I doubt there's anything to be concerned about if your car isn't in what appears to be a very small subset of overall production. This isn't spinning crankhubs nor fast-wearing rod bearings.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13438.00
      10-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #700
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

This sucks for all of you affected by it, and I wish you the best.

If I may, let me share an anecdote which may relate somewhat.

I used to work for a consumer products company. There was a batch of contaminated material that got into the supply pipeline. Our largest competitor had the same issue, and had to recall 100% of their production for that period, which resulted in literally millions of dollars of lost and destroyed product that could not be sold.

My company had a much more advanced inventory control system, and they were able to identify the specific products that contained the contaminated supply, when it was produced, and which wholesalers got it. They only had to recall a small percentage of product.

BMW, and most contemporary manufacturers, now track every single product that suppliers bring in, and if they can identify which lot(s) of bearings that were potentially bad, they can then narrow it down to a specific set of engines, and therefore cars. As they do more testing and analysis, I'm sure they can narrow down the data set even more.

So, although I did not read all 32 pages of this thread, I can see how it went from thousands of cars down to just 35. And maybe less.

And I understand the concern about opening up a new engine and replacing major components, but if it happened to my car (as it did to my E34 V8 back in the Nakasil days) I would not worry about them "forgetting to tighten a bolt" or other issues like that. Typically, experienced, lead techs do those kind of jobs, not the new kid that was working the oil change rack last week.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
mgokev130.50
      10-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #701
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
The fact that BMW proactively issued a recall suggests that it's in response to a possible known part defect for a specific production batch or a known period where installation/testing procedures may have been incorrect or incorrectly followed. It certainly doesn't appear to be in response to any actual failures (unless they happened at the factory during QC).

I doubt there's anything to be concerned about if your car isn't in what appears to be a very small subset of overall production. This isn't spinning crankhubs nor fast-wearing rod bearings.
Except BMW hasn't proactively issued anything. There is no recall out. The info we got was from leaks and everyone's "confirmation" from calling various outlets. Not one person has received any official recall notice from BMW (yet) to my knowledge.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13438.00
      10-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #702
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Except BMW hasn't proactively issued anything. There is no recall out. The info we got was from leaks and everyone's "confirmation" from calling various outlets. Not one person has received any official recall notice from BMW (yet) to my knowledge.
Certain deliveries have been proactively blocked due to the associated stop sale.

Whether or not they've announced the particulars of the recall has no bearing (ha) on the fact that this issue apparently has nothing to do with actual observed failures, of which there appear to be none post-delivery, and isn't a critical flaw that impacts a significant number of S58s like the S55's crankhub design that affects every S55.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13438.00
      10-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #703
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Certain deliveries have been proactively blocked due to the associated stop sale.

Whether or not they've announced the particulars of the recall has no bearing (ha) on the fact that this issue apparently has nothing to do with actual observed failures, of which there appear to be none post-delivery, and isn't a critical flaw that impacts a significant number of S58s like the S55's crankhub design that affects every S55.
Agreed. There's a distinction between a stop sale and a recall, although it may make no difference to some. For those of us whose cars are being driven (mine), there is no official recall from BMW and BMW has seemed to clamp down on the previous leaks and removed any indication of any issue.

I'm not naïve and in no way believe that my car now miraculously is fine, but until I'm notified officially from BMW, there is no recall.
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4261.50
      10-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #704
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Quote:
Thats my mentality

Like me.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Thats my mentality

Hey, like the article said:

"the company continues to say. If you are one of the 35 customers who have to wait a little longer for their car, we recommend taking a look at our photo show to increase the anticipation."

Lol, I hope they don't actually tell any owners/buyers to do this
Appreciate 0