BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-19-2021, 06:25 PM   #595
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by g80 Portimaoblue View Post
It is a catastrophic process, so it most likely will be an engine replacement. That being said getting a new engine can probably take a good while. I won’t be surprised if it takes a few months.
Respectfully, you have no idea what the fix is as there is legitimately zero information out there about what the actual issue is. Everything is speculation until we receive even one piece of info from BMW.

Enough with the fear mongering already.

Not saying it won’t ultimately be an engine replacement, but you guys act like you have any knowledge of what’s occurring or what the fix is already is laughable.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:34 PM   #596
Merda10
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Just spoke to BMW Australia - guy says parts have been ordered but not sent yet by Germany. He couldn't confirm if Air or Sea.

Dealership has still no idea what the process is - when looking up what part is required he gets a blank. So they don't know what needs doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #597
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Respectfully, you have no idea what the fix is as there is legitimately zero information out there about what the actual issue is. Everything is speculation until we receive even one piece of info from BMW.

Enough with the fear mongering already.

Not saying it won’t ultimately be an engine replacement, but you guys act like you have any knowledge of what’s occurring or what the fix is already is laughable.
Trust me I want to believe with all my heart that this is not as bad as it sounds. But the way I see it, it’s very black and white. Bearings needs to be replaced or not. If not, then awesome. If it does, well…. It’ll be painful unless bmw comes up with some magical solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #598
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merda10 View Post
Just spoke to BMW Australia - guy says parts have been ordered but not sent yet by Germany. He couldn't confirm if Air or Sea.

Dealership has still no idea what the process is - when looking up what part is required he gets a blank. So they don't know what needs doing.
Did they mention what parts have been ordered? Aside the from the obvious ( bearings) I wonder if bmw is developing special tools to make this process as simple as possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #599
Merda10
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did they mention what parts have been ordered? Aside the from the obvious ( bearings) I wonder if bmw is developing special tools to make this process as simple as possible.
No - nothing. I asked what is the part code. He said can't disclose.

Basically asked me what's the rush 😂

All he had was we have requested and ordered the required parts - the dealership will let you know once there is an update.

However the dealership has no idea.

One thing odd was - dealership saying "happy to return your deposit if you want something else - as we will be able to sell this vehicle quickly once it's ready." Don't think they really care.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:07 PM   #600
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

All he had was we have requested and ordered the required parts - the dealership will let you know once there is an update.

One thing odd was - dealership saying "happy to return your deposit if you want something else - as we will be able to sell this vehicle quickly once it's ready." Don't think they really care.
Gotcha!! Thanks for response.

My sales director told me the same thing a week ago that parts have been ordered but does not know what. He even went into detail stating that it has arrived at port but cannot be delivered due to ships not being able to dock. I took it with a grain of salt when he said that but I guess he knew something.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #601
darrelljs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2022 G83

Quote:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504062

Someone replaced main bearings on his s65 motor. Took him 30 hours with the engine out. I’m speculating the s58 will be as complicated if not more.
Holy shit.

Darrell
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:12 PM   #602
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

bmw needs to shut down and regroup. They are barely handing out allocations which is good, but even with the cars they built, it's all shit...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #603
Merda10
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Gotcha!! Thanks for response.

My sales director told me the same thing a week ago that parts have been ordered but does not know what. He even went into detail stating that it has arrived at port but cannot be delivered due to ships not being able to dock. I took it with a grain of salt when he said that but I guess he knew something.
Hmm seems a bit odd that they only found out about this a couple of weeks ago, but had it on the boat which would take 4-6 weeks to arrive (best case scenario).
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #604
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

this is like a huge game of telephone. i'd advise not listening to anyone...or repeating what they said....until there is something official from BMW.
Appreciate 2
Tdubb88188.50
Limegrntaln13409.50
      10-19-2021, 08:56 PM   #605
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
this is like a huge game of telephone. i'd advise not listening to anyone...or repeating what they said....until there is something official from BMW.
This.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:58 PM   #606
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmm seems a bit odd that they only found out about this a couple of weeks ago, but had it on the boat which would take 4-6 weeks to arrive (best case scenario).
Exactly!! Just taking everything with a grain of salt right now
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:14 PM   #607
NSG332
Private
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C43 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
This.
I understand the general sentiment of waiting but I believe alot of members’ frustration stems from not only a lack of information/official communication but also the conflicting info (stop sale showing on the recall website > then not > recall still showing in dealer databases) for two weeks and counting.

Throw on top of all this, the fact people paid decent money for these cars…

By not providing any information, buyers are obviously filling in the void of information with their own personal experiences/narratives…
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:23 PM   #608
Merda10
Rep

Hi guys

Just got info from the principal of the dealership.

Whole car needs to be stripped (Engine, gearbox, exhaust, front diff). It is a 40hour job, and parts are on order from Germany.

The best case scenario is End of November, but could be even 2022.

In their defence he was very apologetic - it's an issue from the production line.

Offered full refund as well as. $5k discount on any other car.
Appreciate 9
kjx3189.50
Alex_Bond229.50
eMMit226.50
Ilyam5891.50
LSP72.00
darrelljs143.50
LSM1118.00
Limegrntaln13409.50
      10-19-2021, 09:24 PM   #609
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSG332 View Post
I understand the general sentiment of waiting but I believe alot of members’ frustration stems from not only a lack of information/official communication but also the conflicting info (stop sale showing on the recall website > then not > recall still showing in dealer databases) for two weeks and counting.

Throw on top of all this, the fact people paid decent money for these cars…

By not providing any information, buyers are obviously filling in the void of information with their own personal experiences/narratives…
I get it. I’m in the same boat and apparently affected, but I’m not gonna get all bent out of shape before even bein contacted by BMWNA. We have zero info.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:37 PM   #610
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Hi guys

Whole car needs to be stripped (Engine, gearbox, exhaust, front diff). It is a 40hour job, and parts are on order from Germany.

In their defence he was very apologetic - it's an issue from the production line.

WTAF. Is this for real?
      10-19-2021, 10:55 PM   #611
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi guys

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:33 PM   #612
eMMit
M Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3Comp xDrive FDG

Quote:
Hi guys

Further to this, I also just spoke to my dealer principal.

My car is currently at the port storage facilty in Port Kembla (arrived last week). Production date was 30 July.

It will likely to be shipped to BMW's Mulgrave facility where they will do the rebuild/replacement (this facility is much more capable than dealerships). BMW will then release the vehicle to the dealer. Likely 2 months, but agree with above, may blow out to early 22.

I was also offered full refund, etc. But...

Also note - whilst the 4,000-odd affected cars worldwide (Australia has 114 affected vehicles) are being fixed - the parts (or engines) will not be going to new cars to be produced - rather to fixing these vehicles. So cars to be produced in the short to medium term will all be pushed back. So re-ordering will likely mean another 9+ months minimum time to delivery.

Sigh.
Appreciate 1
Merda1019.50
      10-20-2021, 12:55 AM   #613
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMMit View Post

My car is currently at the port storage facilty in Port Kembla (arrived last week). Production date was 30 July.

It will likely to be shipped to BMW's Mulgrave facility where they will do the rebuild/replacement (this facility is much more capable than dealerships). BMW will then release the vehicle to the dealer. Likely 2 months, but agree with above, may blow out to early 22.

Also note - whilst the 4,000-odd affected cars worldwide (Australia has 114 affected vehicles) are being fixed - the parts (or engines) will not be going to new cars to be produced - rather to fixing these vehicles. So cars to be produced in the short to medium term will all be pushed back. So re-ordering will likely mean another 9+ months minimum time to delivery.

Sigh.
Where are you getting these stats from (4000 affected cars, etc)? Both you and Merda are new to the forum (6 days and 1 day), and while it is plausible both of you joined after hitting this issue, it also seems like both of you are one and the same person.

I’ll take what you are saying in good faith but a part of me believes you are either spreading misinformation or you are a BMW-insider dropping legit information anonymously.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:07 AM   #614
savi01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Where are you getting these stats from (4000 affected cars, etc)? Both you and Merda are new to the forum (6 days and 1 day), and while it is plausible both of you joined after hitting this issue, it also seems like both of you are one and the same person.

I’ll take what you are saying in good faith but a part of me believes you are either spreading misinformation or you are a BMW-insider dropping legit information anonymously.
Had similar concerns; both from Australia and their "dealer principle" knew total number of cars affected. I believe there was an earlier post from someone who knew number of Canadian cars but didnt claim to know total worldwide.

I don't think it's news that an potential engine change will require taking apart quite a bit of the car.

Waiting for some more info from BMW themselves, maybe a work order copy from a dealer of all the parts and such required. Until then, lets just hope for the best.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13409.50
      10-20-2021, 01:38 AM   #615
eMMit
M Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3Comp xDrive FDG

Quote:

Surpising comment I must say.

The quoted numbers were dropped into the conversation by the DP (maybe accidentally). I promised earlier on this thread that I would post information as I became aware of it. Thats all. I personally have appreciated knowing what is happening from others' posts, and I'm simply returning the favour.

Yes, I finally joined as a member to post on/follow this thread, as I am affected by something like this for the first time (this will be Beemer #7). I'm quite pissed about it, and am trying to find out as much as I can before deciding whether to keep this car or look at other options.

No, I do not work for BMW, nor am I involved in the industry. And I know nothing about Merda or his/her situation.

Last edited by eMMit; 10-20-2021 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:45 AM   #616
Merda10
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMMit View Post

Sigh.

I'll take what you are saying in good faith but a part of me believes you are either spreading misinformation or you are a BMW-insider dropping legit information anonymously.
Hehe mate the reason I came in this forum now is because I found the issue details in google linking to here. Fair point - I guess people have too much time on their hands and mess around.

This is the number you can call to get the info - feel free to do so - 03 9264 4000 - which is customer service. Provide your FL number and they will advise.

Photo attached for my vehicle - even though I'm in the process of negotiating a deal on a m5 demo. Let's see what happens.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0