BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

11-24-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Hi My Name is Barathon and I'm and Addict

So I've posted a little about this before but I think I may have officially gone insane. Today I chose to play the manufacturing waiting game yet again.

Here is my saga.

I've owned a 2015 M3, 2016 M3 Comp and then a 2020 X4M Comp. I regretted selling the M3 and while I enjoyed the X4M it just didn't connect with me the way the M3 did.

So I made a plan to order a new M3 xDrive as soon as you could put them in the order bank. When I got the word that I could in June, I went in and placed my order, I made a grave mistake in listening to the CA there. They said they needed to do an early trade in on the X4M to give me the price that they were offering. They said that I would have the M3 by Oct/Nov.

So then I decided that I would get a "beater" as my interim and winter car, I bought a 2015 SQ5 but quickly found that the tech was so outdated and the car didn't really do anything for me even though I had always wanted an SQ5. Grave mistake #2. So then I traded that SQ5 into the dealership that I had my M3 on order for to be used as a second trade in and bought a 2017 X4 M40i.

That's a good car, there is nothing wrong with it.

Fast forward a couple of months and the dealership had lied and they didn't get nor could get an allocation. So I made the choice to switch dealerships. (Bye bye ~$6,500 in tax credit for the trade ins �� )

The new dealership had an allocation and I got my production number immediately. I got delayed a couple of times like everyone. Then the car got stuck in QC, then took a week to get from the factory to Bremerhaven, it's been there almost a week and still isn't assigned to a ship. It also has the RAM stop sale on it so bye bye hopes of getting it this year.

Then about 2 weeks ago the first dealership sent me a letter offering me an insane price to sell them my X4 M40i. Me being the sick individual that I am, I had already been playing the what else is out there game instead of the X4 (because I still haven't received my M3 to get my fix) I figured out that I would buy my buddies better spec'd lower miles X4 M40i and then went to sell the dealership my car. Yep despite them saying over the phone that the price was good with my milage and everything, when I showed up they said that they were wrong and offered me $3K less. Well screw them (BMW of Dayton Ohio btw.. I'd stay away) I left.

But now I have the itch really really bad for a new winter "beater" and when I got a survey email from the GM of the dealership, I told him how disappointed I was with their dealership again after giving them another shot and said that if they could get me an M240i by Christmas and come up another $1K on the offer for the X4 we could try to repair our relationship. I gave them my must haves and preferences thinking they could trade for one rather than order one.

No dice, GM said they can't get any cars, mentioned that none of the people that were behind my on the M3 list ever got an allocation (glad I didn't keep waiting!) and while he'd love to make the deal he knew he would just disappoint me again.

I still have the itch, it's bad. I've researched the M240i, I like it, I want it for my winter car. I call every dealership in the country with one listed with anywhere near the spec I want.. no luck none available.

I find a black one, not spec'd to my taste in Cincinnati, not far away from me. Start talking to them about it, long story short they had an allocation in 111 for a M240i, I didn't want to wait that long. They make a trade with another dealership for a car in 112 status.. it's mine. They give me a good offer for the X4 M40i. I don't know what to say, I must be a psychopath or have some other mental issue/mid life crisis I don't know.

Long story short, I now have a 2022 M3 Competition xDrive in the port of Bremerhaven and a 2022 M240i xDrive in 112 status for my "WINTER BEATER!"

Yet somehow I think some of you will understand.

2022 M3 Competition xDrive
San Marino Blue
Fjord Blue Full Merino
825M Bi-Color
Executive Package
Driver Assistance Pro Package
Parking Assistance Package
Carbon Fiber Trim
Carbon Fiber Exterior Package
M Shadowline Lights
Front Vented Seats
Red Calipers
I also already have the Carbon Fiber side markers and IND painted roundels waiting to go on and it's scheduled for PPF and ceramic coating.

2022 M240i xDrive
Thundernight Metallic
Black Vernasca Leather with Blue Contrast stitching
Premium Package
Shadowline Package
Drive Recorder
Harmon Kardon
Illuminated M Trim
Remote Engine Start
Wireless Charging

I really hope I get this raise they keep telling me about
Attached Images

Last edited by Barathon; 11-24-2021 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 4
Gfit2693.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
chicagofan0018923.00
snareman8959.50
      11-24-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

I mean I personally don’t see the point whatsoever when you already have the xDrive version which is perfectly capable for winter driving, but all the power to you either way!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
And there I thought I was crazy for even considering keeping a very nice BMW as a beater. You win.
      11-24-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
I mean I personally don’t see the point whatsoever when you already have the xDrive version which is perfectly capable for winter driving, but all the power to you either way!
I never said that I was smart or that I made sense. I actually think I'm probably being stupid getting the M240i. That said, I don't know when I will get the M3, when I do get it, there are no winter wheels available. Everything that I would want to run is on back order. So using the M3 for this winter is out.

Having a second car for bad weather and winter will let me keep the M3 looking really good and maybe I'll end up keeping it longer since I have 2 toys to play with.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Yeah, you got issues.

We all do.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #6
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
When my non-car fanatic friends and family tell me I'm crazy, I'll let them read this thread.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 3
      11-24-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Dude the sickness is real. I have been waiting for my g80 as well and have thought to buy so many cars.. the way I go through them there is a chance I could buy something, drive it for 2 months and sell when the g80 comes in.. trying to hold on and be patient in my beater but it's so tough and I look everyday
Appreciate 1
Barathon577.00
      11-25-2021, 01:15 AM   #8
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barathon View Post
I never said that I was smart or that I made sense. I actually think I'm probably being stupid getting the M240i. That said, I don't know when I will get the M3, when I do get it, there are no winter wheels available. Everything that I would want to run is on back order. So using the M3 for this winter is out.

Having a second car for bad weather and winter will let me keep the M3 looking really good and maybe I'll end up keeping it longer since I have 2 toys to play with.
Ahh got ya. That's on me for skimming through the story. I read through it quickly and just figured you were trying to preserve the M3 and would rather drive the 240i instead in the winter.

Honestly at the end of the day it's whatever makes you happy. I never meant to insult you so hope it didn't come across that way. I've made my own share of questionable moves in the name of happiness
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 02:20 AM   #9
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

That's what happened also to me. Traded in my M140i end august (beacuse my delaer told me that the car should have arrived in two weeks/mid sept.) Then, the nightmare began. I was told mid sept. that the car was pushed to week 40, then 47. At that point, I started to look to find out a daily car, as my old e39 is not that young to allow me to run in every day for a long distance (it has 24 years and over 520k kms on its shoulders...) so, looking here and there, the saga finished rebuying my old car, the M140i. Then the "delay saga" still continues. From 47 to 49....and I already know that my car probably will be delayed to next year due to the 3 days production stop that will affect munich plant at the beginning of next month due to lack of parts.

What a lot of us are experiencing is the lack of honesty and comunication from our dealers. In my opinion the thruth is always something to tell to a customer, in order to avoid any kind of problems in the future. My SA, his GM, and BMW Italy its own...aren't giving me any kind of support and information abiut what is causing several delays on my order, and when I'll receive my car mostly. What is really annoying me is that the few infos I'm having is from a friend who works at munich plant.....when the dealer should give me all the infos and datas without asking for them several times.....and most of the time....without having an answer.

So, in my opinion....don't do anything. You can loan something maybe.....but pay attention to what a delaer promise you.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:43 AM   #10
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
So I've posted a little about this before but I think I may have officially gone insane. Today I chose to play the manufacturing waiting game yet again.

Here is my saga.

I've owned a 2015 M3, 2016 M3 Comp and then a 2020 X4M Comp. I regretted selling the M3 and while I enjoyed the X4M it just didn't connect with me the way the M3 did.

So I made a plan to order a new M3 xDrive as soon as you could put them in the order bank. When I got the word that I could in June, I went in and placed my order, I made a grave mistake in listening to the CA there. They said they needed to do an early trade in on the X4M to give me the price that they were offering. They said that I would have the M3 by Oct/Nov.

So then I decided that I would get a "beater" as my interim and winter car, I bought a 2015 SQ5 but quickly found that the tech was so outdated and the car didn't really do anything for me even though I had always wanted an SQ5. Grave mistake #2. So then I traded that SQ5 into the dealership that I had my M3 on order for to be used as a second trade in and bought a 2017 X4 M40i.

That's a good car, there is nothing wrong with it.

Fast forward a couple of months and the dealership had lied and they didn't get nor could get an allocation. So I made the choice to switch dealerships. (Bye bye ~$6,500 in tax credit for the trade ins �� )

The new dealership had an allocation and I got my production number immediately. I got delayed a couple of times like everyone. Then the car got stuck in QC, then took a week to get from the factory to Bremerhaven, it's been there almost a week and still isn't assigned to a ship. It also has the RAM stop sale on it so bye bye hopes of getting it this year.

Then about 2 weeks ago the first dealership sent me a letter offering me an insane price to sell them my X4 M40i. Me being the sick individual that I am, I had already been playing the what else is out there game instead of the X4 (because I still haven't received my M3 to get my fix) I figured out that I would buy my buddies better spec'd lower miles X4 M40i and then went to sell the dealership my car. Yep despite them saying over the phone that the price was good with my milage and everything, when I showed up they said that they were wrong and offered me $3K less. Well screw them (BMW of Dayton Ohio btw.. I'd stay away) I left.

But now I have the itch really really bad for a new winter "beater" and when I got a survey email from the GM of the dealership, I told him how disappointed I was with their dealership again after giving them another shot and said that if they could get me an M240i by Christmas and come up another $1K on the offer for the X4 we could try to repair our relationship. I gave them my must haves and preferences thinking they could trade for one rather than order one.

No dice, GM said they can't get any cars, mentioned that none of the people that were behind my on the M3 list ever got an allocation (glad I didn't keep waiting!) and while he'd love to make the deal he knew he would just disappoint me again.

I still have the itch, it's bad. I've researched the M240i, I like it, I want it for my winter car. I call every dealership in the country with one listed with anywhere near the spec I want.. no luck none available.

I find a black one, not spec'd to my taste in Cincinnati, not far away from me. Start talking to them about it, long story short they had an allocation in 111 for a M240i, I didn't want to wait that long. They make a trade with another dealership for a car in 112 status.. it's mine. They give me a good offer for the X4 M40i. I don't know what to say, I must be a psychopath or have some other mental issue/mid life crisis I don't know.

Long story short, I now have a 2022 M3 Competition xDrive in the port of Bremerhaven and a 2022 M240i xDrive in 112 status for my "WINTER BEATER!"

Yet somehow I think some of you will understand.

2022 M3 Competition xDrive
San Marino Blue
Fjord Blue Full Merino
825M Bi-Color
Executive Package
Driver Assistance Pro Package
Carbon Fiber Trim
Carbon Fiber Exterior Package
M Shadowline Lights
Front Vented Seats
Red Calipers
I also already have the Carbon Fiber side markers and IND painted roundels waiting to go on and it's scheduled for PPF and ceramic coating.

2022 M240i xDrive
Thundernight Metallic
Black Vernasca Leather with Blue Contrast stitching
Premium Package
Shadowline Package
Drive Recorder
Harmon Kardon
Illuminated M Trim
Remote Engine Start
Wireless Charging

I really hope I get this raise they keep telling me about
Epic! Good luck on that raise too!
Appreciate 1
Barathon577.00
      11-25-2021, 06:06 AM   #11
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:

I'm not sure if you are soliciting advice, but I would suggest consolidating to one car, especially if you are at all stretching your budget. You can find aftermarket snow tires that look great and work great if you put some effort into it. You can also do a full PPF and/or ceramic of the M3 to preserve it in the winter better, and still come out ahead.

The M240i and M3 are too similar, and I personally would not spec such similar cars for summer and winter use. What if your situation changes and you need a bigger car such as an SUV? Hopefully you have considered that.

If you're insistent that this is what you need to make you happy, that is your call, but I would be 100% sure before pulling the trigger. Objectively, it seems like a bad idea to me as an outsider.

Regardless, welcome to the San Marino blue club!
      11-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

The thing is, I think people with this sickness probably can get away with only losing taxes on cars.

At the moment, you can buy a car, drive it for 4-5 months, and sell it for what you bought it for.
Appreciate 2
Barathon577.00
nottoday175.50
      11-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #13
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
That's what happened also to me. Traded in my M140i end august (beacuse my delaer told me that the car should have arrived in two weeks/mid sept.) Then, the nightmare began. I was told mid sept. that the car was pushed to week 40, then 47. At that point, I started to look to find out a daily car, as my old e39 is not that young to allow me to run in every day for a long distance (it has 24 years and over 520k kms on its shoulders...) so, looking here and there, the saga finished rebuying my old car, the M140i. Then the "delay saga" still continues. From 47 to 49....and I already know that my car probably will be delayed to next year due to the 3 days production stop that will affect munich plant at the beginning of next month due to lack of parts.

What a lot of us are experiencing is the lack of honesty and comunication from our dealers. In my opinion the thruth is always something to tell to a customer, in order to avoid any kind of problems in the future. My SA, his GM, and BMW Italy its own...aren't giving me any kind of support and information abiut what is causing several delays on my order, and when I'll receive my car mostly. What is really annoying me is that the few infos I'm having is from a friend who works at munich plant.....when the dealer should give me all the infos and datas without asking for them several times.....and most of the time....without having an answer.

So, in my opinion....don't do anything. You can loan something maybe.....but pay attention to what a delaer promise you.
The good thing for the M240i is after all is said and done, I'm only paying slightly more a month for it than for the X4, the X4 is out of warranty and my plan was to keep a second car that I would use in the winter, bad weather and when I am driving somewhere and want to keep the miles on the M3 down. So having the M240i with a full warranty, that is also fun to drive and I won't mind when I drive it over the M3 is good. I didn't put anything down for the M240i and could always back out if things don't go as the dealership said. If I was losing a bunch of money on swapping the X4 to the M240 I wouldn't do it but since I am actually selling it for more than what I bought it for I don't mind.... This market is nuts. Plus who knows if the Market stays like this I could potentially sell the M240i after the winter and when M3 winter wheels are available again and make money on the M240.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #14
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzbimmer View Post
I'm not sure if you are soliciting advice, but I would suggest consolidating to one car, especially if you are at all stretching your budget. You can find aftermarket snow tires that look great and work great if you put some effort into it. You can also do a full PPF and/or ceramic of the M3 to preserve it in the winter better, and still come out ahead.

The M240i and M3 are too similar, and I personally would not spec such similar cars for summer and winter use. What if your situation changes and you need a bigger car such as an SUV? Hopefully you have considered that.

If you're insistent that this is what you need to make you happy, that is your call, but I would be 100% sure before pulling the trigger. Objectively, it seems like a bad idea to me as an outsider.

Regardless, welcome to the San Marino blue club!
Not really stretching my budget, financially it's not much different than keeping the X4. I have 0 plans to ever have kids, I made it to 41 without any lol but I do understand that the SUV has more utility.

I'm more just laughing at myself for what I do for the toys I like. I'll make sure that I find a coupon code to save $3 when I order a pizza but then I buy cars like candy
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0018923.00
snareman8959.50
      11-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #15
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:
Not really stretching my budget, financially it's not much different than keeping the X4. I have 0 plans to ever have kids, I made it to 41 without any lol but I do understand that the SUV has more utility.

I'm more just laughing at myself for what I do for the toys I like. I'll make sure that I find a coupon code to save $3 when I order a pizza but then I buy cars like candy
If you're not having kids, you're already way ahead of the game. Kids are like $1 million lifetime expense each.

Yeah I'm the same way regarding my cars. I try to save a dollar on a roll of electrical wire, haggle over 0.1% higher loan rate, and then spend $1.5k on a front splitter that is purely cosmetic. It makes no sense, but if it makes you happy, go for it!
      11-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #16
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

You sir are a sick individual. Send help!

Complete glutton for punishment with all those trades too! The amount of time invested in all of that must be insane
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #17
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
My combo would be M3C XD and a F250 tremor diesel (one badass truck). Interestingly enough they are about the same price
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #18
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

I admire you guys that have that kind of disposable income and budget. I'm 58 and this will be my first M car and first new BMW although I've owned many cars and a good number of BMW cars. My beater is a 04 X5 with a 193k on it and I really just started putting money into it but I've never owned a car with 200k and am determined to get 250 to 300k on it before letting go of it.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #19
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
I started judging the OP and then paused and thought, who the F am I to judge others on buying cars when I'm already making plans for the incoming manual Supra when I've only owned my MT G80 for 4 months.

Not having kids or being married is a huge helping factor for me to spend my money on things I love while saving up for retirement.
Appreciate 2
Barathon577.00
Rayien581.50
      11-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #20
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Yeah, you got issues.

We all do.
No doubt. I shake my head, then remember the time we had a Z4M roadster in Silver Gray at the same time we had a Z4M coupe in Space Gray (a shade apart, I think). Since we didn't have the garage space, one was in off-site storage with another of our M cars of that vintage. Never had those two Z4Ms in the same place at the same time to get a sibling photo. So yeah ...

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #21
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
I admire you guys that have that kind of disposable income and budget. I'm 58 and this will be my first M car and first new BMW although I've owned many cars and a good number of BMW cars. My beater is a 04 X5 with a 193k on it and I really just started putting money into it but I've never owned a car with 200k and am determined to get 250 to 300k on it before letting go of it.
Beware. Costliest vehicle I've ever owned is a cheap E53 (4.4i). When they turn expensive, they really turn for the worse!
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      11-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #22
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzbimmer View Post
If you're not having kids, you're already way ahead of the game. Kids are like $1 million lifetime expense each.

Yeah I'm the same way regarding my cars. I try to save a dollar on a roll of electrical wire, haggle over 0.1% higher loan rate, and then spend $1.5k on a front splitter that is purely cosmetic. It makes no sense, but if it makes you happy, go for it!
On my way back from my PCD I stopped at the Arc Encounter in KY. It's a (as far as they know) life size recreation of Noah's Ark. Pretty cool overall. Anyway, as I'm pulling in I lament to the parking attendant that you know tickets for this are already ~$55 and then they charge another $15 or so for parking????? And then I realize I'm complaining about $15 in my 1 day old $84k car. Yup, save the money where you can I guess.
Appreciate 0