BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

03-23-2024, 04:51 PM   #1
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Macan Turbo EV

This car is really interesting to me, and I got on the list this week for one which will likely end up as a MY25 build (which I sort of prefer due to the switch NACS).

This will be the first EV for me, and honestly the only one so far which has even been remotely appealing. That may be largely due to the fact that my current Macan Turbo is simply a fantastic all-around car and has been hard to let go of.

This is of course an EV, but the initial track feedback seems pretty positive so I am excited to see what people think once these start getting delivered.

Attached Images

Needsdecaf6599.00
      03-23-2024, 06:27 PM   #2
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

As a 3 time Macan owner (2S' and one GTS) I have very little interest in this car. I do have an EV (Mustang Mach-E GT Performance) alongside my 911, at one point 2 718 GT4s, and M3 but not sure I'll do an EV again despite the Mach-E being fantastic through closing on 2 years. I'd rather have a hybrid that has decent electric only range (60+ miles).
It will be interesting to see how problematic the Macan is because the Taycan was plauged with issues as well as the materials and overall build quality for Porsche have gone down and you can see it in Porsche's reliability and dependability ratings which have dropped below industry average because of it. The tech in them is so atrocious and the range is some of the worst for EVs as well. Maybe the Macan will be better, but I wouldnt hold my breath.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50
      03-23-2024, 06:54 PM   #3
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Given what's going on with the value and reliability/quality of Taycan's, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole (at least not the first model year). Unless Porsche has some crazy lease deals, I'd have zero interest in the Macan EV...honestly I think the current 95B.2 Macan would be a better purchase if you really want another Macan.
      03-23-2024, 08:21 PM   #4
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
It looks like a shoe
Appreciate 1
TxFeatFan484.00
      03-24-2024, 04:33 AM   #5
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 SSG, 2021 Audi SQ7

Sorry, as another multi Macan owner (2x GTS's) the EV edition does nothing for me at all. Best of luck with it though.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:04 AM   #6
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

I personally love the styling, and I think it's a big improvement over the current ICE Macan, which to me feels very meh after they switched to from separate 3D tail lamps to the light bar which every mid-sized SUV on the market has these day (and I won't even mention the face on the current GTS). IMHO, the peak of Macan ICE style was 2018 with the Sport Design package and GTS/PP ride height.

If you're not on board with EV then this of course won't be for you. I don't have negative feelings towards EV (other than having a strong dislike for Tesla as I see no less than 150 per day) so I am remaining pretty open minded.

I see plenty of Taycan owners on Rennlist moving to these, so I think the negative experiences may be overblown. Resale-wise, if you are buying a $200K car and worried about value I think that says more about you than the current market.

Since this will be a 2025, I will have the benefit of seeing the reviews of people who receive the first models. If there are big issues I may change direction and cancel my order as I wouldn't expect these to be sorted out by the very next model year.

Porsche knows their market so they will of course continue to produce ICE cars for as long as they possibly can, but the fact that the Taycan bested the GT2 RS at Laguna Seca says a lot about what they are capable of making.
      03-24-2024, 06:41 PM   #7
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
As a 3 time Macan owner (2S' and one GTS) I have very little interest in this car. I do have an EV (Mustang Mach-E GT Performance) alongside my 911, at one point 2 718 GT4s, and M3 but not sure I'll do an EV again despite the Mach-E being fantastic through closing on 2 years. I'd rather have a hybrid that has decent electric only range (60+ miles).
It will be interesting to see how problematic the Macan is because the Taycan was plauged with issues as well as the materials and overall build quality for Porsche have gone down and you can see it in Porsche's reliability and dependability ratings which have dropped below industry average because of it. The tech in them is so atrocious and the range is some of the worst for EVs as well. Maybe the Macan will be better, but I wouldnt hold my breath.
OP, Sorry to highjack this thread...
But am looking for the S vs GTS and not sure if I actually need the GTS for spirited daily and maybe occasional family trip...
What are your thoughts on the S (vs GTS)? I love my M3, but hips and knees and lower back are becoming more of an issue getting in and out of the vehicle and Manual Shifting...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:41 PM   #8
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
What do you find interesting about the Macan EV, other than the Porsche-typical fanciful options list? You could spend less and get better performance and practicality.

Seems overpriced for what it offers.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:52 PM   #9
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M View Post
OP, Sorry to highjack this thread...
But am looking for the S vs GTS and not sure if I actually need the GTS for spirited daily and maybe occasional family trip...
What are your thoughts on the S (vs GTS)? I love my M3, but hips and knees and lower back are becoming more of an issue getting in and out of the vehicle and Manual Shifting...
Let's look at is this way, the S is now the old GTS and the GTS is the old turbo. I personally don't think the new GTS feels nearly 440 hp nor do I find it do be a worthwhile step over the S for the 20-30K more. If you were going the way of the Macan, either are good, but the S is much more bang for the buck. Only real reason to go for the GTS is if you want the GTS package with the wheels, stitching etc.
IMO, having now driven the current gen X3M and Stelvio Quad, one of those two would be my option if you want the closest thing to an M3 in an SUV. The X3M feels way more edgy and sport car than the Macan, but does ride a little stiffer, but the Stelvio has probably the best ride of them all and an engine that is nearly a match for the S58.
Appreciate 2
DFW_M1671.00
Ilyam5894.50
      03-25-2024, 08:02 AM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra055 View Post
Sorry, as another multi Macan owner (2x GTS's) the EV edition does nothing for me at all. Best of luck with it though.
Haha, judging by what I see posted on Rennlist, the current / past Macan owners seem to be seriously offended that their car is being replaced by an EV. I guess I get it, but I never really warmed to the Macan as it's WAY too small for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
What do you find interesting about the Macan EV, other than the Porsche-typical fanciful options list? You could spend less and get better performance and practicality.

Well, isn't that the Porsche story? What defines performance. The Taycan is way slower than a Model S, but if you drive the two back to back....you immediately see where the money went.

Tesla is a major disruptor because their price : performance ratio is so skewed. For under $60k you can get a Model 3 Perf. that has a 3 second zero to 60. But then you have to drive a Model 3 (I did for 4 years, so not simply throwing shade, based on real world observations). Based on watching some of the drive observation videos, the Macan EV should be quite a good performer and I would suspect outshine the current ICE Macan.

But we will see. I personally don't care for the looks at all, as I hate cars with divorced headlight / DRL's and don't care for slopey back SUV shapes. But I'm not in the market and I suspect it will sell very well, as it offers similar performance to Taycan for a lot less $$. My buddy is jettisoning his 2020 Taycan Turbo for one.

The Taycan was a very flawed car. Could tell the moment it came out that packaging was terrible, efficency was low. For the size of the car, it is super cramped inside. Feels large and ponderous to me. Plus all the issues. I spoke to my Porsche service advisor and he told me stay far, FAR away from Taycan. It's very much a first gen product; Porsche has already abandoned the platform. It will die after this refreshed Taycan goes out of production.
Appreciate 1
Draper3460.50
      03-25-2024, 09:52 AM   #11
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Well, isn't that the Porsche story? What defines performance. The Taycan is way slower than a Model S, but if you drive the two back to back....you immediately see where the money went.

Tesla is a major disruptor because their price : performance ratio is so skewed. For under $60k you can get a Model 3 Perf. that has a 3 second zero to 60. But then you have to drive a Model 3 (I did for 4 years, so not simply throwing shade, based on real world observations). Based on watching some of the drive observation videos, the Macan EV should be quite a good performer and I would suspect outshine the current ICE Macan.

But we will see. I personally don't care for the looks at all, as I hate cars with divorced headlight / DRL's and don't care for slopey back SUV shapes. But I'm not in the market and I suspect it will sell very well, as it offers similar performance to Taycan for a lot less $$. My buddy is jettisoning his 2020 Taycan Turbo for one.

The Taycan was a very flawed car. Could tell the moment it came out that packaging was terrible, efficency was low. For the size of the car, it is super cramped inside. Feels large and ponderous to me. Plus all the issues. I spoke to my Porsche service advisor and he told me stay far, FAR away from Taycan. It's very much a first gen product; Porsche has already abandoned the platform. It will die after this refreshed Taycan goes out of production.
Yes. What’s not the Porsche story is massive depreciation on their EV’s. I was more thinking - why buy the Macan Turbo EV at $120k when you can buy a Macan GTS for $110k (comparable options assumed, US based so no delta in tax) and pocket the $10k for gas (lighter and quicker feeling?) or go with something else- at that price point there are lot of options. Not necessarily a Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 10:19 AM   #12
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

It looks great, it's going to be fast, and I have faith that the driving dynamics will live up to what people expect from Porsche. The brand is always going to be pricey, so that is something you just kind of have to accept.

Aside from that there really isn't much out there in this space which is appealing. I did the same dance a few years ago before I ended up with my current Macan. I drove pretty much everything, X3M, GLC 63(s), Stelvio QV, plus others. Those offerings haven't changed much since then, and while the Macan wasn't the fastest out of that bunch, it was the best to drive.

I mean sure, the Model X is cheaper and faster in a straight line - but it's ugly and my eyes have severe Tesla fatigue so spending that kind of money seems like a complete waste to me.
Quote:
The tech in them is so atrocious and the range is some of the worst for EVs as well. Maybe the Macan will be better, but I wouldnt hold my breath.
Is it though? Beyond CarPlay what else do you need? If you compare this to the tacked on iPads BMW and everyone else is doing these days, I will take Porsche's implementation every day of the week.

If we’re talking battery tech, I’m sure we’ll see improvements compared to Taycan which was a gen 1 product.
Attached Images

Last edited by Draper; 03-25-2024 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 10:33 AM   #13
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Aside from that there really isn't much out there in this space which is appealing.
There are a dozen Macan GTS for sale new within 500 miles of me. I assume they're available, but perhaps not. Regardless I'd take one of those over the EV... but if I had to buy an EV, after having a couple teslas, I'd probably go with a Lucid or preowned Audi - the prices from the VW Group and Porsche as new are just ridiculous and the depreciation is quite high. I don't think EV's should be $100k+, just not worth it to me given the one dimensional driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 10:47 AM   #14
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There are a dozen Macan GTS for sale new within 500 miles of me. I assume they're available, but perhaps not. Regardless I'd take one of those over the EV... but if I had to buy an EV, after having a couple teslas, I'd probably go with a Lucid or preowned Audi - the prices from the VW Group and Porsche as new are just ridiculous and the depreciation is quite high. I don't think EV's should be $100k+, just not worth it to me given the one dimensional driving experience.
The GTS is a great car, but it's essentially what I already have. I'd rather try something new.

I personally don't find anything from Lucid appealing, and there are certainly concerns whether they will even exist in 5 years.

I'm not dead set on EV, but am interested in this car...which just happens to be EV.
      03-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #15
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
The GTS is a great car, but it's essentially what I already have. I'd rather try something new.

I personally don't find anything from Lucid appealing, and there are certainly concerns whether they will even exist in 5 years.

I'm not dead set on EV, but am interested in this car...which just happens to be EV.
Nice. Makes sense. Let us know how you like it if you pull the trigger.

Edit - just configured one online. Noticed a few things. 1) bi-level headlights. odd on a small car, but...ok 2) lower lip painted $1400 as part of the off-road pack..mmmk. 3) $580 for a power plug cover... yikes 4) passenger display is very cool, kids would love that, 5) $118k including delivery ($11k in options)

Last edited by Bimmerfun82; 03-25-2024 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
Draper3460.50
      03-26-2024, 02:09 PM   #16
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Yes. What’s not the Porsche story is massive depreciation on their EV’s. I was more thinking - why buy the Macan Turbo EV at $120k when you can buy a Macan GTS for $110k (comparable options assumed, US based so no delta in tax) and pocket the $10k for gas (lighter and quicker feeling?) or go with something else- at that price point there are lot of options. Not necessarily a Tesla.
I mean, when I want a chicken sandwich, I don't go in and order a burger, just because it's the same size and costs a bit less...
Appreciate 1
Draper3460.50
      03-26-2024, 02:33 PM   #17
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
I mean, when I want a chicken sandwich, I don't go in and order a burger, just because it's the same size and costs a bit less...
Good analogy, now multiply it by the delta in depreciation which by my estimate is 8,000 burgers. Thinking of the $3 variety from McDonald’s.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:55 AM   #18
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good analogy, now multiply it by the delta in depreciation which by my estimate is 8,000 burgers. Thinking of the $3 variety from McDonald’s.
Depreciation is of course a concern, but the Taycan was an expensive first gen product with a niche market. Macan is Porsche's best selling vehicle, and coupled with the more modest price point means a larger pool of buyers (both new and used).

They do need a base model at a lower price point (maybe high 60s/low 70s), but this type of rollout isn't that different from what they did with the first Macan with only offering the S and Turbo trims, then adding base, GTS, and Turbo PP later.

Also, since the ICE Macan (and 718) are already done in Europe I wouldn't expect them to dump a bunch of money into developing a new ICE platform, so the Macan could very well be EV-only very soon.
      03-27-2024, 09:07 AM   #19
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Depreciation is of course a concern, but the Taycan was an expensive first gen product with a niche market. Macan is Porsche's best selling vehicle, and coupled with the more modest price point means a larger pool of buyers (both new and used).

They do need a base model at a lower price point (maybe high 60s/low 70s), but this type of rollout isn't that different from what they did with the first Macan with only offering the S and Turbo trims, then adding base, GTS, and Turbo PP later.

Also, since the ICE Macan (and 718) are already done in Europe I wouldn't expect them to dump a bunch of money into developing a new ICE platform, so the Macan could very well be EV-only very soon.
I can see more people moving on to the Cayenne for the price they are asking for the EV Macan. There will be the crowd that is looking for an EV, but I'm not so sure the Macan will continue to be Porsche's best selling model (not now at least). You may see customers looking at other brands for a while. This is a big gamble for Porsche.
      03-27-2024, 09:23 AM   #20
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If the chicken sandwich was priced at $120K and was depreciating like a leftover meal, you might
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:39 AM   #21
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
I get your point Draper however the depreciation is not a function of new and demand but one of battery life and cost of replacement
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:10 PM   #22
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I can see more people moving on to the Cayenne for the price they are asking for the EV Macan. There will be the crowd that is looking for an EV, but I'm not so sure the Macan will continue to be Porsche's best selling model (not now at least). You may see customers looking at other brands for a while. This is a big gamble for Porsche.
It certainly is, and I don’t know how it’s going to play out. I would have guessed they may have wanted to keep the ICE Macan (at least the lower trims) around a bit longer, but the EU sort of forced their hand. Same with the 718.

The price delta to move to Cayenne (and 911) is certainly not insignificant.

If you listen to Porsche, they have 10,000+ customer orders already for the Macan EV. That may or may not be true, but I do know my dealer (1 of 2 in Denver) has 8 people in line ahead of me for a Turbo. Not sure about the lower 4 model.
Quote:
I get your point Draper however the depreciation is not a function of new and demand but one of battery life and cost of replacement
We’re getting into the weeds a bit with general EV concerns, but Porsche’s EV battery warranty is 8yrs/100k miles (a sliding scale with some acceptable loss based on mileage). By that point the car is mostly depreciated anyways just because it’s old, and replacement batteries could certainly be cheaper and more readily available by then.
Burrcold5322.50