BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
JM322
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi A4, Porsche 718, MB GLE35

Some genera thoughts and questions from an m3 newbie

Hey everyone, I've been searching for a while for a fun second car to drive myself and sometimes my 2 small kids around. Am on a 911 list, and have driven a few m5s but came to the conclusion that an m3 fits the bill perfectly. The m5 was straight line fast but not quite fun enough to chin the bar.

Partly because my plan is to own a 911/m car/ and maybe an amg car in the next 10 years so why not get moving with it, so here I am to join the wait. Car would be a second one to back up my boring family suv, and honestly to scratch an itch on something fun so I wind up keeping the suv that much longer.

I've settled (for now!) on the x drive comp in iomg/black with carbon trim interior and exec package. Black wheels. I was originally thinking tanz /fjord (I LOVE my buddies tanz x5 m50) but think it's just too much blue. Disappointed the black interior seems to have grey accents now but what can you do.

I'm in the nyc/nj area and will plan to drive it sporadically (weekly?) in the winter if I don't get winter tires. Is that completely unsafe if the drives are just low speed runs up and down the city streets to keep the battery charged?

Any thoughts on wheel color?

Plan right now is to enjoy it, then trade it in when the 911 allocation comes through unless I love it so much I decide to stick with it long term. Figure a bunch of members on the forum in the same boat. Caveat would be if reviews come in that the id8 is truly horrendous I'll have to reconsider. Again, figure others in the same boat.

Here's the build, happy to hear feedback.

ETK84ETD

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 04:07 PM   #2
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

I was on the fence between the two also, but man that 911 is just so much more money. Plus, do you think you'll actually get without a crazy ADM?

No regrets though...

I thought I read anything less than 40 degrees on summer tires is asking for trouble. I guess there may be a few days you could drive it during the winter, maybe. Winter/All season tires or a battery tender.

No opinion on the colors, to each his own. I don't care for the black ones but it seems like most prefer the black wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
JM322
Private First Class
Rep

Re: 911, it will be msrp just with an indefinite waitlist. Prob another 12-24 months. The consideration there is that depreciation is much lower than on the m cars so even though money is tied up in the purchase, the actual cost of ownership may not be that high even normalizing for supply chain, assuming no adm.

What I came back to, cost aside is that I'd like to own both over the coming years so why not pull the trigger now on the m3 and it'll make the wait for the 911 that much more tolerable
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:18 AM   #4
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

M3 in winter on summer tires in NY/NJ is asking for trouble if you are not super careful. It really comes down to how careful and attentive of a driver you are. It is not about snow only, freezing temperatures will render the tires useless since they will be hard as bricks. YMMV. I either have dedicated winter tires for my cars or store them with a battery tender. Sometimes you may get away with starting it and letting it run but that has other cons as well.

I am also waiting for a 911 and Porsche dealers are becoming the worst of the worst, not only ADM but playing games if you do not have an established relationship. It is just a turnoff, I may buy a used one instead once the market - or if - corrects. In the meantime the M3 50 Jahre was offered to me and I jumped on it instead.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #5
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
M3 in winter on summer tires in NY/NJ is asking for trouble if you are not super careful. It really comes down to how careful and attentive of a driver you are. It is not about snow only, freezing temperatures will render the tires useless since they will be hard as bricks. YMMV. I either have dedicated winter tires for my cars or store them with a battery tender. Sometimes you may get away with starting it and letting it run but that has other cons as well.

I am also waiting for a 911 and Porsche dealers are becoming the worst of the worst, not only ADM but playing games if you do not have an established relationship. It is just a turnoff, I may buy a used one instead once the market - or if - corrects. In the meantime the M3 50 Jahre was offered to me and I jumped on it instead.

Good luck.
GT3 allocations are coming down from 100k ADM to 80k, so maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:39 AM   #6
JM322
Private First Class
Rep

Only 80k adm? They're practically paying you!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #7
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

I recently sold my 911 GTS Cab and about to receive my G82 comp Xdrive. Not missing my 911 at all. Really looking forward to start driving my new car that will also be really fun to drive, more comfortable, as well as more practical and have much more storage than the 911.
      08-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #8
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Do not fool yourself, recent exchange with Paul Miller in NJ, who put me on the list with a deposit early last year…..

Unfortunately,
we certainly will not receive enough allocations in this generation for me to offer you a vehicle.

additionally, management has changed here in past year and they will not a specialty vehicle like a GT# to be sold to new client that are outside our geographic area.
so its not likely i will be able to offer you a GT# allocation with a reasonable time going forward.

pre owned vehicles are different how ever always far above msrp these days.

if interested , i may have a pdk gt3 vehicle to offer you if interested,

2022 black w/black, pdk, wing, buckets, ceramics, well equipped, full ppl, 600 miles , like new

approx $65k over msrp....msrp approx 198k
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #9
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Do not fool yourself, recent exchange with Paul Miller in NJ, who put me on the list with a deposit early last year…..

Unfortunately,
we certainly will not receive enough allocations in this generation for me to offer you a vehicle.

additionally, management has changed here in past year and they will not a specialty vehicle like a GT# to be sold to new client that are outside our geographic area.
so its not likely i will be able to offer you a GT# allocation with a reasonable time going forward.

2022 black w/black, pdk, wing, buckets, ceramics, well equipped, full ppl, 600 miles , like new

Before going with my pending G80, I was actually considering yet another Macan GTS (MY2023) at the beginning of the year since its now the top dog in the Macan ICE line up, but after shopping around my area and being told $10K to $15K ADM and a year or more wait, I put Porsche in the review mirror and starting looking at the M3.
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #10
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM322 View Post
Hey everyone, I've been searching for a while for a fun second car to drive myself and sometimes my 2 small kids around. Am on a 911 list, and have driven a few m5s but came to the conclusion that an m3 fits the bill perfectly. The m5 was straight line fast but not quite fun enough to chin the bar.

Partly because my plan is to own a 911/m car/ and maybe an amg car in the next 10 years so why not get moving with it, so here I am to join the wait. Car would be a second one to back up my boring family suv, and honestly to scratch an itch on something fun so I wind up keeping the suv that much longer.

I've settled (for now!) on the x drive comp in iomg/black with carbon trim interior and exec package. Black wheels. I was originally thinking tanz /fjord (I LOVE my buddies tanz x5 m50) but think it's just too much blue. Disappointed the black interior seems to have grey accents now but what can you do.

I'm in the nyc/nj area and will plan to drive it sporadically (weekly?) in the winter if I don't get winter tires. Is that completely unsafe if the drives are just low speed runs up and down the city streets to keep the battery charged?

Plan right now is to enjoy it, then trade it in when the 911 allocation comes through unless I love it so much I decide to stick with it long term. Figure a bunch of members on the forum in the same boat. Caveat would be if reviews come in that the id8 is truly horrendous I'll have to reconsider. Again, figure others in the same boat.

ETK84ETD

Thanks!
You "settled for now" by getting an M3? Wow, that sounds very condescending! Try pushing the M3 a bit and get back to me about how it compares to a 911 for street driving.
      08-16-2022, 09:02 AM   #11
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Hey OP, took a look at the build and I dig it! I would recommend adding the laserlights, makes a world's difference in my opinion.

For the 911, what trim would you get? I've driven most of the 992 range as of last year and found that compared to the g8x I couldn't find any more excitement or engagement in the carrera or carrera S. The GTS was great in everyway and would be what I would get. However, like someone on this forum stated: "it's a great car, but it doesn't feel two times better than the g80 for twice the price." I agree with this sentiment. I think you'll have tons of fun in the g80 xdrive with your family too!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #12
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

Quote:

Unfortunately,

That sounds like a steal compared to this one I saw over the weekend
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1062.00
      08-16-2022, 09:14 AM   #13
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Quote:

ETK84ETD

Thanks!
You "settled for now" by getting an M3? Wow, that sounds very condescending! Try pushing the M3 a bit and get back to me about how it compares to a 911 for street driving.
People can be delusional…

Ain't nothing settling with a new M3.

Op is more likely "settling" with an entry level 911.
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2022, 10:13 AM   #14
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Why not M4Cx? If it's just going to be a fun second car (and if 911 is the eventual target, you don't need 4 doors), would be a lot easier to get an allocation, and it would still be iD7.
Appreciate 3
JM322221.50
beden1511.00
      08-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #15
JM322
Private First Class
Rep

The 911 trim I'm looking at are the c4s or the turbo s. I go back and forth. The c4s wait lists are shorter but still comically long. The turbo is just such a beast of a car but probably idled that much more in northeast bad weather. So plan for now is to see which allocation comes in first. I've driven the whole range more or less and those seem the best fit for me, but happy to give thoughts on others if you had some you were considering if my experiences would be helpful, just let me know which.

Re: settling for an m3, it has nothing to do with cost (or depreciation profile) nor is it a comment on m3s in general. For a frivolous second car my eye has always been on a 911. The long wait times made me reconsider and expand my circle of interest. I've tried a bunch and settled (meaning "arrived at") on the m3. I didn't say "settled for". If I didn't like the car enough I just would wait for the 911. Don't be so sensitive! :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #16
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Keep us posted on the frivolous $220K+ 2nd car 2023 Porsche 992 Turbo S
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2022, 12:36 PM   #17
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

I live in MA and have driven all sorts of vehicles on all sorts of tires. Summer tires in the snow is a big no no. You can get away with short drives with summer tires if it is simply cold out but summer tires in snow is a death wish. You will have zero traction.
Appreciate 1
beden1511.00
      08-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #18
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
I live in MA and have driven all sorts of vehicles on all sorts of tires. Summer tires in the snow is a big no no. You can get away with short drives with summer tires if it is simply cold out but summer tires in snow is a death wish. You will have zero traction.
And at temps below 40 degrees, Summer tires wear out VERY quickly....
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 01:29 PM   #19
JM322
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Re: turbo. It won't be a 2023, and I know it was a snarky/sarcastic comment but just to consider…if a $225k car is worth $180k after 5 or 6 years, and a $90k car is worth $40k after 5 or 6 years, which was more expensive to own? Assuming you have the cash available to tie up the higher dollar price can wind up costing less. Porsche and bmw depreciation profiles are very different.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 01:38 PM   #20
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Re: turbo. It won't be a 2023, and I know it was a snarky/sarcastic comment but just to consider…if a $225k car is worth $180k after 5 or 6 years, and a $90k car is worth $40k after 5 or 6 years, which was more expensive to own? Assuming you have the cash available to tie up the higher dollar price can wind up costing less. Porsche and bmw depreciation profiles are very different.
My bad

I've never done TCO on my cars or motorcycles.

Congratulations on ordering your new M3.

I wish you the very best with your future planned car endeavors.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 01:46 PM   #21
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
For a frivolous second car my eye has always been on a 911.
Most folks would call it a "fun" or "weekend" car. "Frivolous" (and "settling") have some pretty negative connotations, hence the reactions here.

Good luck.
      08-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #22
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just sold my 2011 BMW 335is for $28,500 after owning it 12 years. I paid 64,500 for it new and it cost me $36,000 or $3,000 a year in depreciation. (Used prices have dropped somewhat on most cars during the last 3 months)

I sold my 2012 911 GTS about 9 months ago for $15,000 less than I paid for it new 10 years ago. $15,000 or $1,500 a year in depreciation.

Right now, the Porsche looks like a great investment because there are so many backorders with tight supply, but before Covid, I would have only been able to get a price $30,000 less than I paid for it new, or $3,000 a year in depreciation (equal to the BMW).

I think you're going to see car prices start to normalize in the next year. Those who paid adjusted market prices along with dealer fees are going to get hurt, and those who didn't, will probably do OK for two to three years. Supply has been tight the last 2+ years and there won't be many used cars for sale.

Last edited by beden1; 08-16-2022 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00