BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Closed Thread

07-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Thumbs down I don't understand BMW's product release process

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I don't understand BMW's product release secrecy rollout schedule...

The heavy camoed cars get spotted on the ring as usual. The buck teeth grilles are heavily camoed.

There are few more sightings and we pretty much know what the camoed car looks like.

Then, a few weeks ago they do a professional track photoshoot of the still fully camoed car. All that photo effort on a car you can't even see what it looks like?

Then a few days ago they allow a bunch of reporters to drive the M3/4, still totally camoed. One of the reporters even commented that they couldn't see a single thing about the grilles despite trying to look through the camo.

THEN, just a few days later suddenly we see a naked front end grille?

It just seems to be so unnecessarily drawn out. Just release the damn thing already instead of all of this stupidly timed piecemeal stuff.
Appreciate 1
CityLife197.50
      07-08-2020, 10:14 PM   #2
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Your post (agonizing over the strip-tease) is exactly why BMW does it. The more spy pics, prototype drives, etc = more attention and (they hope) more sales.
duky1313.00
      07-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
This is not specific to the M3/M4 or even BMW for that matter.

Product cycles follow strict timetables and manufacturers do not formally release their products until the debut date.

This is not specific to the car industry, either.
Look at Apple's iPhone, for example.
It begins with rumors, then detailed rumors from insiders, and then partial leaks and by the evening before the actual debut, most of the important or controversial details have already been floating around to some degree.

Those who have been following Bimmerpost and the BMW product releases over the years since the internet became a thing will also know that the type and degree of camouflage that BMW & other car manufacturers use are calculated and deliberate in their intent.

BMW is not going to do a full no-holds-barred unveil anytime before autumn, even though the M3/M4 may be 80, 90, or even 100% complete before that time.

Think of this as a big name director with a hit blockbuster coming this fall.
All the behind the scenes footage, trailers, and director/cast interviews slowly trickle their way down leading up to the release.
Even though the completed film is somewhere in the studio's possession before the premiere date, it will not be released prior to that.

All you'll get in the meantime is more interviews, more trailers, more opinions from 'critics' who have viewed it, and more teasers.

Until September.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 4
mkoesel7505.50
solstice5456.50
weingarm846.50
Closed Thread