Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

11-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #1
Not_Speeding
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330, 2023 BMW M4

Garage List
Winter Tire and Wheel Storage Questions

Putting my summer setup into hibernation for the winter season and don't have a climate controlled garage. What are the dos and don'ts of tire and wheel storage over the winter? Is there a tire pressure for prolonged storage? What are your tire storage set ups? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 06:35 PM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Just put them in some xlarge garbage bags and stick them in the corner of the garage, they don't need to be in a temp controlled environment.
I have a friend who wanted to put his bbs rims in my house, i'm like there's plenty of space in my garage... he didn't message me about it again.
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50
      11-30-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 CX

Tire rack recommends climate controlled but I'm sure it is overkill. Placing them in garbage bags and sealing them as air-tight as possible will do just fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 01:53 PM   #4
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I have always just stacked the wheels on a homemade roller platform and left them in the garage. I have never put them in garbage bags, and wonder if that wouldn’t just trap moisture. In WI winters there is very low humidity and the air is dry.

This year I did detail clean the 826M’s before putting them away. In past years the WRX wheels would just get stacked while relatively clean.

I have never had an issue. If the worry is tire deterioration, our tires are generally replaced out of necessity every other summer so they don’t really get old enough to crack or dry out.
      12-01-2022, 03:49 AM   #5
LuxemburgBMV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive msport

Garage List
Add on question- I see store them off the ground as a suggestion, and store them on the side, and store them upright to keep them true. I store tires on wheels for four cars currently. They will for sure be on the ground. Should they be on their sides and stacked or stored upright under my shelving racks (as I have done for the past fifteen plus years)?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #6
8262S
Captain
Rep

Cut a piece of plywood to the size of the tires, and round or cut off the corners. Screw some decent heavy duty casters with rubber wheels on the bottom and make sure two casters have locks. Make sure screws don’t penetrate the top of the board.

I’d guess that is $20-30 in casters and a scrap piece of plywood.

Stack tires on your new tire rack. Roll to where you want to store it in the garage. Lock the two locking casters. In two weeks, roll tires out of the way to get your snowblower out. Roll tires back.

Really, that is it. I’ve done that for 25 years and have not had any issues.
      12-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #7
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Think about all the abuse a tire goes through in 10,000 miles of service alone and then ask yourself how anal you really have to be about storage.
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #8
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Think about all the abuse a tire goes through in 10,000 miles of service alone and then ask yourself how anal you really have to be about storage.
Yup.
      12-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #9
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Ive just stored them up in my garage attic for the past 4 yrs. Costco neatly covers the tires in a clear plastic bag but one year I didnt open them and there was moisture on the tires. So since then, I just open the bag half way and let it breathe. U can store them upright or flat. Its rubber and should mold to the rims either ways. But it save a lot of space if you store them flat and stacked up on each other. I have enough space and so store them vertical. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 03:38 PM   #10
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
Cut a piece of plywood to the size of the tires, and round or cut off the corners. Screw some decent heavy duty casters with rubber wheels on the bottom and make sure two casters have locks. Make sure screws don’t penetrate the top of the board.

I’d guess that is $20-30 in casters and a scrap piece of plywood.

Stack tires on your new tire rack. Roll to where you want to store it in the garage. Lock the two locking casters. In two weeks, roll tires out of the way to get your snowblower out. Roll tires back.

Really, that is it. I’ve done that for 25 years and have not had any issues.
lol..I picture you moving that cart around to get to the snowblower...lol. Dont u have a quiet corner that u can just store it off the ground lol
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #11
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
lol..I picture you moving that cart around to get to the snowblower...lol. Dont u have a quiet corner that u can just store it off the ground lol
Normally the tire rack is hidden in a corner. I just haven’t moved the snowblower out to the front of the garage yet this year and suspect I will be digging it out at 4:30 am one morning after a snowstorm.
      12-10-2022, 09:57 AM   #12
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuy789 View Post
Putting my summer setup into hibernation for the winter season and don't have a climate controlled garage. What are the dos and don'ts of tire and wheel storage over the winter? Is there a tire pressure for prolonged storage? What are your tire storage set ups? Thanks in advance
For ten years of swapping for weather I’ve just stacked them in my garage on the lift and that’s it… I’m in NYC so we get cold winters and hot summers. I wouldn’t worry too much about storing wheels and tires. It’s not needed.

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2023, 11:06 AM   #13
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

Sorry for opening up an older thread, but a question about storing summer wheels. I’m in the process of storing my wheels, how clean should they be before putting them in storage bags(I bought the BMW M bags)?The wheels aren’t super(I.e. caked on brake dust) but there is a slight brake dust on them. Should they be washed and cleaned prior to putting them in the storage bags? Is there a risk of scratching? Honestly, I just don’t have 1.5hrs to clean these wheels at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 11:10 AM   #14
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoaddict View Post
Sorry for opening up an older thread, but a question about storing summer wheels. I’m in the process of storing my wheels, how clean should they be before putting them in storage bags(I bought the BMW M bags)?The wheels aren’t super(I.e. caked on brake dust) but there is a slight brake dust on them. Should they be washed and cleaned prior to putting them in the storage bags? Is there a risk of scratching? Honestly, I just don’t have 1.5hrs to clean these wheels at the moment.
Shouldn't have any risk of scratching but I would try and at least clean them so that you don't have to do it later. Also the longer the stuff sits on, the harder it is to get off. Try and find 15-20m to do one at a time. It's especially quick if they're actually off the car.
Appreciate 1