home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-19-2023, 12:00 PM   #1
JM94
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4

G82 M4 - Fidgety Idle

Hi all,

Just picked up my new G82 M4, coming out of my previous F82. Certainly a big fan of the car already, however, I’ve noticed that the digital rev display is very fidgety and is constantly moving around on idle. It also very occasionally sends a bit of a judder through the car as well.

I am aware that when working up to operating temperature the car has an erratic idle, as stated in the manual. However, this is continuing when the car is up to full working temperature and has been driven for about 30-40mins.

Doesn’t seem to matter which mode the engines in, nor if the aircon is on or off.

I was just wondering how everyone else’s was - as far as I’m concerned, the idle should be buttery smooth when up to working temp, especially for a straight-6.

I have the car booked in for a check at the dealer, but I know how they can shrug things off from time to time if there’s no codes being thrown up, so was hoping to get some reassurance from the community.

Any insights from fellow M enthusiasts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Mine doesn’t do that. Hopefully they can get it sorted.
      02-19-2023, 02:29 PM   #3
Bguggs
Private
Rep
Drives: G83

Garage List
My g83 does that also, no idea why. going to the dealer this week for a different issue and will ask about this also
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 02:59 PM   #4
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Manual for automatic?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 10:54 PM   #5
JY01
JY01
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

My G82 does that as well. I don’t notice any rough idle while the car is warming up, but once it’s up to operating temp, I get rough idle. The exhaust makes a quiet popping noise and RPM’s occasionally drop slightly and the car shakes a little, almost like it’s misfiring.

I’m at 2.3k miles and I noticed this all the time during the first 2k miles, but on my recent trips I’ve been noticing it less often (or maybe I’m getting used to it). No changes in drivability though, the car pulls very smooth and overall I’m not that concerned about it.

Please let us know what your dealership says
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2023, 11:35 PM   #6
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

It’s normal there’s been multiple threads on this already mine does it too I thought it was Costco gas but it’s just a high power motor
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 07:46 AM   #7
JM94
Rep

Thanks so much for the quick feedback guys - certainly reassuring to know I’m not the only one!

I’ve seen a couple threads on this and seen some mixed reviews.

Completely agree with respect to the feeling like it’s misfiring. My F82 had to go back in immediately after a service for a faulty spark plug in two cylinders, which I’d heard was quite common for the S55, so I wasn’t sure if this is similar with the G8X.

I’ll see what the dealer says and report back for others interest.

Both my last M4 and M140i had a silky smooth idle, along with every other performance car I’ve owned, so I am still a little dubious.

Fingers crossed and thanks again 😊
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 08:09 AM   #8
JM94
Rep

Update: just picked the car up. Dealer said that it’s normal and a characteristic of the car. They couldn’t offer much more of an explanation as to why.

Personally I’m not convinced at all. Although many people are saying they have the same in their car, many also say they don’t, which suggests to me it’s an issue. I guess that’s the problem with relying on the car to diagnose itself through the computer all the time!

I’ve only had the car a week, so half tempted to throw it back at them.

@[Bguggs] - I’d be interested to hear what the outcome is from your visit this week - please keep me posted!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:48 PM   #9
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM94 View Post
Update: just picked the car up. Dealer said that it’s normal and a characteristic of the car. They couldn’t offer much more of an explanation as to why.

Personally I’m not convinced at all. Although many people are saying they have the same in their car, many also say they don’t, which suggests to me it’s an issue. I guess that’s the problem with relying on the car to diagnose itself through the computer all the time!

@[Bguggs] - I’d be interested to hear what the outcome is from your visit this week - please keep me posted!
Very much interested in how this develops.
Any other insights and follow-ups on the issue?

I have the same exact observation, except that I don't feel the car misfire and the engine idle is smooth (to the ear), but the RPM needle is moving about ever-so-slightly. It's not dramatic, but definitely not rock solid.
Very strange and I am having my dealer investigate this.

My car is barely over breaking-in service and now at 2500 km (about 1500 miles)
Other accompanying issues I am having from day one and 0 km:
- battery rest voltage is 12.88V, which for a LiIon battery is very low
- one time, it stumbled on cold start - it did start fine, but initially for a split second the engine seemed to want to stall
- a couple of times, when engine at full warm temp, had the long cranks, where the starter spins quickly a few extra times before the engine start. It's not longer than a second or two, but noticeable.
- strong acetone/nail polish/paint thinner type of smell from exhaust on cold start

Dealer checked errors during break-in service, no alarming or active error codes were present. But I am not happy with this and trying to have them work this out.

Part of me hopes most of this is caused by (clearly) an almost discharged battery...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 05:11 PM   #10
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi all,

Just picked up my new G82 M4, coming out of my previous F82. Certainly a big fan of the car already, however, I’ve noticed that the digital rev display is very fidgety and is constantly moving around on idle. It also very occasionally sends a bit of a judder through the car as well.

I am aware that when working up to operating temperature the car has an erratic idle, as stated in the manual. However, this is continuing when the car is up to full working temperature and has been driven for about 30-40mins.

Doesn’t seem to matter which mode the engines in, nor if the aircon is on or off.

I was just wondering how everyone else’s was - as far as I’m concerned, the idle should be buttery smooth when up to working temp, especially for a straight-6.

I have the car booked in for a check at the dealer, but I know how they can shrug things off from time to time if there’s no codes being thrown up, so was hoping to get some reassurance from the community.

Any insights from fellow M enthusiasts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Also - do you have ocassional stumble when starting engine, when it's completely cold? How about ocassional longer than usual cranking, when engine is hot and you stopped somewhere and start it again?

I believe these symptoms are all related.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 02:20 PM   #11
JM94
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
Very much interested in how this develops.
Any other insights and follow-ups on the issue?

I have the same exact observation, except that I don't feel the car misfire and the engine idle is smooth (to the ear), but the RPM needle is moving about ever-so-slightly. It's not dramatic, but definitely not rock solid.
Very strange and I am having my dealer investigate this.

My car is barely over breaking-in service and now at 2500 km (about 1500 miles)
Other accompanying issues I am having from day one and 0 km:
- battery rest voltage is 12.88V, which for a LiIon battery is very low
- one time, it stumbled on cold start - it did start fine, but initially for a split second the engine seemed to want to stall
- a couple of times, when engine at full warm temp, had the long cranks, where the starter spins quickly a few extra times before the engine start. It's not longer than a second or two, but noticeable.
- strong acetone/nail polish/paint thinner type of smell from exhaust on cold start

Dealer checked errors during break-in service, no alarming or active error codes were present. But I am not happy with this and trying to have them work this out.

Part of me hopes most of this is caused by (clearly) an almost discharged battery...
I ended up taking my car back to the dealer 3 times for the issue, as I wasn’t best pleased with the outcome of each visit (reporting no problem and just a characteristic of the car).

The third time back, I did feel reassured to be honest - the showed a couple M3/M4’s to me which did exactly the same thing with the idle - just slightly flickering, so I guess it really could be normal ‘BMW personality’ aha.

It’s certainly strange, but doesn’t impact the drivability of the car, so I will just ignore it and rest assured by the warranty.

I’ve had no issues with start up though, cold or warm - have you tried changing out the battery to see if it changes at all? Does it do it every time or just occasionally?

With the smell - I haven’t noticed this either. Is it definitely through the exhaust - could be a refrigerant leak in the aircon potentially - I know that can give off a strong nail polish like smell. Again, is that every time or just from time to time?

I’ll be interested to hear what comes of your discussions, so please keep me posted and hope everything gets sorted for you, so you can just enjoy the car - it really is brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 03:19 PM   #12
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I ended up taking my car back to the dealer 3 times for the issue, as I wasn’t best pleased with the outcome of each visit (reporting no problem and just a characteristic of the car).

The third time back, I did feel reassured to be honest - the showed a couple M3/M4’s to me which did exactly the same thing with the idle - just slightly flickering, so I guess it really could be normal ‘BMW personality’ aha.

It’s certainly strange, but doesn’t impact the drivability of the car, so I will just ignore it and rest assured by the warranty.

I’ve had no issues with start up though, cold or warm - have you tried changing out the battery to see if it changes at all? Does it do it every time or just occasionally?

With the smell - I haven’t noticed this either. Is it definitely through the exhaust - could be a refrigerant leak in the aircon potentially - I know that can give off a strong nail polish like smell. Again, is that every time or just from time to time?

I’ll be interested to hear what comes of your discussions, so please keep me posted and hope everything gets sorted for you, so you can just enjoy the car - it really is brilliant!
That's interesting, I do believe the weird idle may be unrelated to the issue of long crank or engine stalling on crank, and I understand it's possible to find some g8x that have similar idle issue.

What I have a problem with is that many don't..and have rock solid idle.
And we're talking about g8x or even X3Ms with same engine.

Well, I am half-anxious half-excited for next week, let's see what they do with my car...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 04:26 PM   #13
Bguggs
Private
Rep
Drives: G83

Garage List
Quote:

No comment from the dealer other than its normal, my other issue they say is also normal which I am still thinking is not
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #14
g80_zayd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3CX

Normal. https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1954731
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 12:18 PM   #15
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g80_zayd View Post
Did you read that thread through? It's actually attenuated as not normal and there is a more substantial issue described.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #16
JM94
Rep

Quote:
That's interesting, I do believe the weird idle may be unrelated to the issue of long crank or engine stalling on crank, and I understand it's possible to find some g8x that have similar idle issue.

What I have a problem with is that many don't..and have rock solid idle.
And we're talking about g8x or even X3Ms with same engine.

Well, I am half-anxious half-excited for next week, let's see what they do with my car...
I do agree that it’s a little concerning that some do and some don’t - I think if you really want to get to the bottom of it, you want to go to someone who is a little more clued up/ willing to investigate the issue - it just means throwing money at the problem.

Whenever you go to a dealer, the most investigating they do is plugging in the reader and seeing if there’s any codes, so I wouldn’t hold out any hope with them. I guess there isn’t enough money in warranty work!

It does seem to be a very common issue though - so safety in numbers I guess, haha!

Do let me know how things go next week and I’ll keep my fingers crossed they at least give you some reassurance, or some kind of explanation!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 04:04 PM   #17
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

got the same issue , hopefully someone figures something out , dealer told me its normal as well
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #18
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodospor View Post
got the same issue , hopefully someone figures something out , dealer told me its normal as well
Any other issues, ever had long crank on warm restart?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 04:08 PM   #19
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I do agree that it’s a little concerning that some do and some don’t - I think if you really want to get to the bottom of it, you want to go to someone who is a little more clued up/ willing to investigate the issue - it just means throwing money at the problem.

Whenever you go to a dealer, the most investigating they do is plugging in the reader and seeing if there’s any codes, so I wouldn’t hold out any hope with them. I guess there isn’t enough money in warranty work!

It does seem to be a very common issue though - so safety in numbers I guess, haha!

Do let me know how things go next week and I’ll keep my fingers crossed they at least give you some reassurance, or some kind of explanation!
I am mostly concerned with them fixing the long crank i.e. possibly leaky injector issue. If idle stays same after that, I don't care. If it turns out to be also related and is fixed after that, then it's a bonus.

Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 04:09 PM   #20
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

No , car is normal except the rpm thing
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:53 PM   #21
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I am mostly concerned with them fixing the long crank i.e. possibly leaky injector issue. If idle stays same after that, I don't care. If it turns out to be also related and is fixed after that, then it's a bonus.

Will keep you posted.
What happened? Did the injector fix the rough idle?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 06:19 PM   #22
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Mine does this too (6MT). My comp x didn’t do it, so it was bothering me. But after 4k miles I’ve forgotten about it and haven’t let it bother me. Let us know what you find out.
Appreciate 0