Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
What about this post makes it news worthy? Hell make a post from someone not liking the car and make it news worthy as well.

The entire G8x forum is so contrived.
You're over-thinking it bro. Slow news day...can't satisfy all sides of an issue with a single post. Chillax officer.
Appreciate 5
yousefnjr6157.50
W///7489.50
      12-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #24
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
What about this post makes it news worthy? Hell make a post from someone not liking the car and make it news worthy as well.

The entire G8x forum is so contrived.
I mean it’s nothing groundbreaking or anything but I like to read opinions from people that have seen it, and think the photos are interesting. The shading across the various surfaces is captured better here than others I’ve seen. OP has a history on these boards and I value his input. You might not be interested in this car and that’s fine, but many of us are genuinely excited for it. Surely you can relate to wanting new content for a new model you’re considering.
Appreciate 2
W///7489.50
      12-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #25
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
I ordered the m3 with the carbon package. Very excited to see it in person. I am going fully with the "better in person than photos" version of things.

Even as much as I loved my f87 I still think pictures didn't do it justice.
      12-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #26
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Made news just because it's a positive opinion :
Appreciate 15
stein_325i25083.00
///AVM2529.50
Swappy531.50
Germanauto9702.50
swagon13519.50
330iToy71.00
stefan2351.00
BigHunk269.50
      12-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #27
ShockArrival
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Search

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockArrival View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
There is also a history here where a truly terrible photo leaked first that for sure didn't help set the tone. That said the extent of judgment before the car has been seen IRL has been unprecedented and the same is now happening to the driving dynamics. In the end my guess is still that all will be fine and it will be seen as a worthy M car in all aspects.
I really don't understand how the driving dynamics are getting poo-poo'd all while we watch the same engine in the X3M just crushing it!

She really doesn't photo well though.
Some care about more than 0 to 60 times :
Are we confident that's all this car will be good for? They seemed to be moving nicely around The Ring...
      12-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #28
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Thought I'd share a few words about the car after finally getting to see it in person at the Performance Center. Probably not bringing much to the table since there are plenty of pictures of the car at this point. Current cars include E36 M3, E92 M3 and Z4M Roadster.

The G8x M3/4 was the first M car that I didn't understand at all when I saw the unveil pictures, especially the front. It just didn't feel like a very coherent design. Seeing the car in picture somewhat changed my mind:
- The car looks infinitely better in real life, I've yet to see pictures that really captures the car. It has to be one of the least photogenic car I can think of
- I wouldn't call it beautiful/elegant like an E46 M3 or E39 M5, but it does have presence
- My main concern with the car was never the grille, but the lower bumper portion. The car had the CF package. For some reason, I don't see what I disliked about the front bumper in real life, which is very odd
- Car had blue interior with carbon buckets. Blue leather looks so much better in person, wasn't a fan of the yellow Alcantara though. With the rough texture, it doesn't look right to me. It would be better with blue leather and just regular Alcantara
- Assuming Carbon buckets are decently comfy, they look like a must have option for me. Just stunning.
- First time seeing Sao Paulo Yellow on a "smaller" car and absolutely love it. I think this color is going to look seriously on an even more compact M2. CF parts really pop on it.

In summary, I'm still anxiously waiting for the G87 with maybe more "normal" looks, but if a 4 door was a prerequisite for me, I'd consider the G80 after seeing the front end in person. Completely understand that it's not for everyone, but if it can change my opinion a little bit, then it's probably worth for you to see it in person.
Thanks for the write up!

I feel the same after having the opportunity to see an M4 in a frozen individual blue in a private closed room 2 weeks ago..

I also think that the car and especially the front looks much better in real, the design makes more sense overall with the front, on pictures it does not bring over the same feeling...it is not a beauty, but definitely had its special character and presence.
Appreciate 3
solstice5456.50
Scorp!on1511.50
      12-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #29
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is also a history here where a truly terrible photo leaked first that for sure didn't help set the tone. That said the extent of judgment before the car has been seen IRL has been unprecedented and the same is now happening to the driving dynamics. In the end my guess is still that all will be fine and it will be seen as a worthy M car in all aspects.
I really don't understand how the driving dynamics are getting poo-poo'd all while we watch the same engine in the X3M just crushing it!

Are we confident that's all this car will be good for? They seemed to be moving nicely around The Ring...
I guess we will see. That's all Everyone talks about in these parts. I thought ///M cars were supposed to be good around turns :
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #30
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
I guess we will see. That's all Everyone talks about in these parts. I thought ///M cars were supposed to be good around turns :
Not sure I agree, some are even getting annoyed that we dilute dedicated drag time threads with too much tracking related noise

It is a potential new area of strength for the M3/4 though so it’s natural there is some excitement over it.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #31
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Guys, I finally figured it out! BMW saw people complain about the size and sound of the last car and remedied that by making a grill so unattractive that nothing else could possibly be perceived as negative about the car. Marketing geniuses!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #32
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

I just don't like it... sticking with the F90 forever.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #33
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree! I never think to myself how fast can I get to 60. I tend to be quite conservative with my ///M3. Every so often I push it on the highway, but I definitely don't abuse the vehicle. I have always been one who looks at vehicles from an aesthetic point of view, and for me the new G8x just doesn't exemplify what the ///M division should be. But again, maybe I need to see one for myself as well. :
      12-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #34
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435MSport6Speed View Post
It's stupid looking.

Fast forward to LCI and pray!
+1000
      12-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #35
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP M4 / Z3 2.8

Saw it in person as well (own a F82 M4) and it does look better in person. BUT I’m not gonna justify by saying it’s the least photogenic M lol. It’s just not as good looking like the past M cars. Plain and simple.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2020, 12:29 AM   #36
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
This car has some weird photo angles to it, but overall it is a nice looking car and takes cues from the old combined with the new and moving in a new direction, but as always looks are subjective and some will like it some won't but i doubt the next iteration will have this grill and not because of amount of negativity surrounding the car, and the grill but because the next M will probably be Phev or probably full EV where the grill no longer has a point in existing. And will be redesigned accordingly, unless they want to take advantage of the grill and put all radars and tech behind it then it will probably be transparent grill from the inside so the tech will work behind the grill.

If we are talking about a 8 year cycle of cars before a new model appears, then that will put us at year 2029 or 2030 if this car starts rolling out around 2021 that will hit the target for when a lot of countries will have already forbidden sales of new ICE engines and at this point there won't be anymore development of new ICE engines. It is a waste of money for car companies to keep putting R&D money in to ICE engines no matter how efficient they become they are still burning fuel and releasing carbon dioxide and still needs oil drilling and refinement to be converted in to fuel then transported on massive ships & trucks to fuel stations and this is beating a dead horse pretty much at year 2030-2040 that doesn't mean that all ICE cars are gone by 2030 that won't happen but new cars wont be sold with ICE engines, that is for sure.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 01:13 AM   #37
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree! I never think to myself how fast can I get to 60. I tend to be quite conservative with my ///M3. Every so often I push it on the highway, but I definitely don't abuse the vehicle. I have always been one who looks at vehicles from an aesthetic point of view, and for me the new G8x just doesn't exemplify what the ///M division should be. But again, maybe I need to see one for myself as well. :
Why even get an M car if you don't drive it like it's supposed to be driven?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 01:14 AM   #38
2JPW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435I M SPORT

I love it.
I think people are over thinking it.
I think that they are like the bangle era cars. love it loathe and in the end most people came to like the edge design.
Like the OP, I think that in the flesh they look so much better (I've only seen a 440i and I genuinely don't think BMW will have for it wrong.

If you're in the ultimate driving machine, I guess you don't see the outside anyway...not my pont though as I stated this post I love it.

Time will tell I guess
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 02:24 AM   #39
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure I agree, some are even getting annoyed that we dilute dedicated drag time threads with too much tracking related noise

It is a potential new area of strength for the M3/4 though so it's natural there is some excitement over it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The driving dynamics got high praise from the guys at Sport Auto at least, but I guess people on the forums that have not driven the car know better than they do... 😉😜

G82 M4 test drive review by Sport Auto https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1744192
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
      12-23-2020, 02:27 AM   #40
nightwolf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

it’s still ugly as hell though. i’ve owned a fair share of bmws, most M models, and you couldn’t pay me enough or give me enough 911s to take that car off the assembly
line.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:01 AM   #41
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I really curious to know why people who clearly despise this car continually come to read these threads and post their opinions over and over again. There's that thread in the F80 forum for haters to go hog wild with the hate. Why not just post there? Does hating on this car in every thread really add to the discussion at this point? If I didn't like something, I wouldn't keep going back to look at it or reading about it or caring about it. I'd move on.

I have zero interest in BMW SUVs (other than the XM3/4) or the 7 series so I never click on any front page stories on BMW SUVs or 7 series cars or participate in those forums. Just wondering what is the psychology for people who hate something to keep coming back to stare at it and talk about it incessanty and continually tell people their opinions about how bad the car looks and speculating about how bad it will drive when no one's really tested/driven one yet and there have been no actual real driving tests by any respected automotive journalists.

Reminds me about the absolute hate people spewed about the M2 when specs were released and it was pretty much the same weight as an M3. People were apoplectic... yet today, the M2, M2 comp and M2 CS are considered the best M cars BMW has produced in the last 10+ yrs almost universally.

And please... I'm not here to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and please post away if it makes you feel better, but I'm genuinely curious why you would do that if you hate the car so much.
Appreciate 7
Ikester192124.00
TruthOne1081.00
F85MTuNED1620.50
Nkr151122.00
khanyam4801.50
Cadillac358.50
      12-23-2020, 03:05 AM   #42
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Thanks for the pics Warot! Car actually looks decent with that sunrise lighting, the wheels in particular look great.
Appreciate 1
W///7489.50
      12-23-2020, 03:13 AM   #43
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Driving dynamics are so much more than just the engine. You can have a slower engine with vastly superior driving dynamics. Just look at the Hellcat and Demons. Very powerful, but only fun to drive in a straight line for the most part.

The X3M is judged as an SUV so decent driving dynamics on that platform will be a welcomed surprise. However this is a sedan and a coupe so the expectations are higher. What most people are disappointed in, including myself, is the weight increase

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      12-23-2020, 03:53 AM   #44
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I really curious to know why people who clearly despise this car continually come to read these threads and post their opinions over and over again. There's that thread in the F80 forum for haters to go hog wild with the hate. Why not just post there? Does hating on this car in every thread really add to the discussion at this point? If I didn't like something, I wouldn't keep going back to look at it or reading about it or caring about it. I'd move on.

I have zero interest in BMW SUVs (other than the XM3/4) or the 7 series so I never click on any front page stories on BMW SUVs or 7 series cars or participate in those forums. Just wondering what is the psychology for people who hate something to keep coming back to stare at it and talk about it incessanty and continually tell people their opinions about how bad the car looks and speculating about how bad it will drive when no one's really tested/driven one yet and there have been no actual real driving tests by any respected automotive journalists.

Reminds me about the absolute hate people spewed about the M2 when specs were released and it was pretty much the same weight as an M3. People were apoplectic... yet today, the M2, M2 comp and M2 CS are considered the best M cars BMW has produced in the last 10+ yrs almost universally.

And please... I'm not here to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and please post away if it makes you feel better, but I'm genuinely curious why you would do that if you hate the car so much.
Completely agree.

Complaining and resistance to change is part of human nature. Some folk struggle to see the positives and appreciate things for what they are. Also think nostalgia plays a big part for the likes of past and present M3 owners. It was the same story when the E46, E9x and F8x M's were launched, lots of complaints about various issues. History is repeating itself!
Appreciate 1
AlterZgo1537.50