BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

02-27-2023, 11:00 AM   #45
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

gets ppf, gets hit by another car...boom
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2023, 11:49 AM   #46
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Was pretty much the same thoughts when new... PPF with ceramic coating on top for an unreal deep shine and look. I straddled the fence for some time and then decided the $ just wasn't worth it. There's a lot of consideration of course in making the decision, and to each their own. The cost for full wrap didn't make sense to me as others noted if the front needs touch up in a few years or even a complete respray, the cost of the PPF isn't justified. Also, it doesn't completely protect from damage of course and there's other drawbacks unless you go top shelf, with the PPF and the Installer too.w

That said, I feel the paint these days is softer than old school enabled paint. The chips that show up these days is just unreal, so there's some remorse in not going PPF when new. But that's ok. I'm gonna get some chips taken care of, and paint corrected in the spring and go from there, lol.

Good Luck with your decision!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 12:27 PM   #47
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM340iMiami View Post
You will regret if you don't PPF. I decided not to PPF and went with a paint correction and ceramic coating instead. Now my front bumper and hood are riddled with chips. I will have to get the whole bumper repainted.
Just going through the thread because I was curious about PPF. I'm in the US (didn't go back to see if you're in the US), and R&R + repaint for an M340i bumper (with camera/DAP, parking sensors which increases labor) at a local BMW paint center was under $1,000 for my Alpine White. I'm assuming the hood would likely be the same or less considering less labor involved with all the sensors and reflectors (one-time use). Spending $2.5-$3k on front PPF seems cost ineffective when you can just get fresh paint and spend less or identical costs to the PPF including labor - also considering if you get into an accident or random debris hits your car and your panel needs replaced you lost the investment in the PPF.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 01:17 PM   #48
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

I did on my 340i which is totally unlike me.
I recently came into some very unexpected funds just as I was taking delivery of the car in mid Dec and figured what the hell.
I look forward to not pulling out the polisher anymore and just washing and using spray wax.
      02-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #49
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
What brand is it?
I bought the car with ~ 8,000 miles and the original owner had X-pel Ultimate installed from day one. It has held up very well.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2023, 03:28 PM   #50
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I am not sure about your insurance company, but my policy includes the replacement 3M if a part that has 3M is replaced due to a collision.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2023, 04:42 PM   #51
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
LOL you really left out the biggest part that makes it worth it to YOU. A 50% discount on ppf would make it worth it to a lot of people. At full rates in todays market it doesn’t for everyone. Camrys and civics aren’t being protected for the majority.
Probably one of the best points / questions for those willing to suspend emotional thinking:

At what price would full PPF be worth it to you?

Big struggle for me as I don't think even free would be worth it now living in NorCal / PNW because I like polishing/detailing & just don't have much of a chipping problem, but if I lived in Minnesota... Full PPF @ $2k would probably win the day
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 06:02 PM   #52
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Probably one of the best points / questions for those willing to suspend emotional thinking:

At what price would full PPF be worth it to you?

Big struggle for me as I don't think even free would be worth it now living in NorCal / PNW because I like polishing/detailing & just don't have much of a chipping problem, but if I lived in Minnesota... Full PPF @ $2k would probably win the day
Somewhere around $5,000-$5500 for the entire car using a top brand PPF.

Also once you do PPF, putting ceramic coating on top of it is not too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 07:01 PM   #53
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
once you do PPF, putting ceramic coating on top of it is not too expensive.
I can ceramic coat my car anytime for $50 (ie the cost of the ceramic) but that's another one of those things that doesn't make sense for me.

I did coat my winter wheels with Car Pro DLux + Gliss, though, and in a month or so I'm gonna do my summers and redo my exist tips. Really happy with ceramic there!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 07:56 AM   #54
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can ceramic coat my car anytime for $50 (ie the cost of the ceramic) but that's another one of those things that doesn't make sense for me.

I did coat my winter wheels with Car Pro DLux + Gliss, though, and in a month or so I'm gonna do my summers and redo my exist tips. Really happy with ceramic there!
You asked a question and I answered it giving a price I was willing to pay for full PPF. I merely added that if you already had your car in a shop for PPF that the cost for them to add ceramic was not that expensive.

You obviously don't think that the expense for PPF is worth it to you and as you have stated you enjoy doing your own detailing at home so we will have to agree to disagree. Neither one of us is right or wrong as we have different needs.

"Different strokes for different folks".
Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      02-28-2023, 01:00 PM   #55
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: 22 M4CX / 22 X3MC

Quote:
I got rear ended and insurance paid for new ppf and ceramic.
      03-02-2023, 05:58 PM   #56
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo741 View Post
I got rear ended and insurance paid for new ppf and ceramic.
do you list your mods and thus increase your premium? or your insurance is chartiable lol?

not trying to joke but why would insurance pay for anything besides OEM
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 06:20 PM   #57
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
do you list your mods and thus increase your premium? or your insurance is chartiable lol?

Depends on the insurance. Some cover partial or up to x amount if not reported for additional coverage. We're dealing with one now at my shop where a customer had his aftermarket wheels and tires stolen off his jeep and he gave the insurance a receipt for 6,000 he paid. They said they'll only cover the cost of OEM wheels plus an additional 1,000. So he's left paying the difference. That's with him not paying for extra coverage for the wheels. So it just depends on the insurance when it comes to add ons or mods that people don't specifically pay extra for. I've also seen USAA cover unrelated items or damages just because the customer has been a member for 40 years.
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2023, 10:28 PM   #58
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
Depends on the insurance. Some cover partial or up to x amount if not reported for additional coverage. We're dealing with one now at my shop where a customer had his aftermarket wheels and tires stolen off his jeep and he gave the insurance a receipt for 6,000 he paid. They said they'll only cover the cost of OEM wheels plus an additional 1,000. So he's left paying the difference. That's with him not paying for extra coverage for the wheels. So it just depends on the insurance when it comes to add ons or mods that people don't specifically pay extra for. I've also seen USAA cover unrelated items or damages just because the customer has been a member for 40 years.
Yeah I see, but like oem wheels def cost money. Someone takes out ur bumper, it’s hard to justify putting back on a piece of plastic covering. But I get it, good customers equal good business. I’m just so against ppf something’s that gunna age. We don’t drive la Ferraris lol
Appreciate 1
aa2033375.00
      03-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #59
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Yeah I see, but like oem wheels def cost money. Someone takes out ur bumper, it’s hard to justify putting back on a piece of plastic covering. But I get it, good customers equal good business. I’m just so against ppf something’s that gunna age. We don’t drive la Ferraris lol
I agree. I think it's definitely something they do more as a customer satisfaction than anything else.

As far as PPF being worth it, to me it's person to person. I'm the only one in my family, friend group, etc that has PPF'd their vehicle. While we don't drive exotics or rare cars, I still value it and I get a lot more peace of mind knowing I can drive my car and have some more protection from rock chips and damage to the front of my car. I probably have some form of OCD I'm sure. I could re spray my vehicle almost no cost, but I still decided to pay for PPF so that I can keep as much of the original paint as possible. Even the best painters still have some form of margin of error. We're human.

PPF was worth it to me, but I totally understand how it isn't worth it to many others. There are a few threads about PPF and if it's worth it, and i just dont think it's something someone else can tell you if it's worth it or not. It's completely personal preference, and many factors come into it's value.
Appreciate 3
      03-03-2023, 09:39 AM   #60
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
PPF was worth it to me, but I totally understand how it isn't worth it to many others. There are a few threads about PPF and if it's worth it, and i just dont think it's something someone else can tell you if it's worth it or not. It's completely personal preference, and many factors come into it's value.
I felt the same way when I opted for full PPF. At the end of the day everyone has different needs and that doesn't mean that someone is right or wrong. It is your car so if you decide to spend the money for PPF that is your decision.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2023, 09:47 AM   #61
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: 22 M4CX / 22 X3MC

Quote:

Since you brought it up, they also paid for my Active Autowerke exhaust that was on the car at the time of accident. All they asked for was purchase receipts and replacement quotes.

Claim was handled through Geico in case anyone was wondering. Like I said, I was rear ended and my state is an "at-fault" state, so the offending parties insurance paid 100% of the claim.
      03-06-2023, 10:58 PM   #62
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Well, for me it would take no brain to think PPF was remotely smart My X5 is 15 months old and been driven from San Diego to Vancouver, BC 4 times as well as my daily driver.

I have 3 tiny paint chips & it would take you an hour to find them IF you could find them. So those 3 paint chips in 15 months are worth $5k+ in your opinion?

Of course they aren't, that'd be stupid. And I do my own detailing!

Anyway, you wondered how PPF is even an option, well that's how: I'd be a total moron to get PPF.

That said, X5s (and especially with 22" PS4s) are notorious for lower-door road rash and mine definitely has it! So I shoulda PPF'd that

Even so, here are two pics, same time, one Sun, on shade, you point out the road rash:

Anyone who's first thought wasn't:
"damn he needs to get some Brake Buster to prevent that unsightly rotor rust "
probably doesn't have the personality nor knowledge to wisely buy PPF.

In short, for many people, PPF is purely an emotional purchase, not a rational one.

e.g., a non-M car has sure as fuck never been an option for me, but that's mostly because I'm an insecure douchebag looking for validation, not because I ever needed it.
"here's some pics for you to point out the road rash"

* shows only pics of the sides of the vehicle *

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:38 AM   #63
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
"here's some pics for you to point out the road rash"

* shows only pics of the sides of the vehicle *
Um. cuz that's "only" where the road rash is: behind the front wheels under the door crease. Aka "the sides of the vehicle"

Did you want to see pics of where it isn't?

Last edited by GrussGott; 03-08-2023 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 08:05 PM   #64
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
I am not sure about your insurance company, but my policy includes the replacement 3M if a part that has 3M is replaced due to a collision.
Plus one..read your insurance policy and see if they allow it. I just got 4700 dollars in PPF and ceramics done and costs 104 dollars a year to insure via my insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 08:09 PM   #65
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Its a call of insurance companies and if they have an accessory add or or will cover it. Mine allows for add in you just have to provide a receipt and they cover actual cash value of additional accessories.

Yeah PPF ages but if it last 5yrs or protects and avoids a need for a repaint on a good or bumper which can't be matched ifs worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 09:23 PM   #66
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM340iMiami View Post
You will regret if you don't PPF. I decided not to PPF and went with a paint correction and ceramic coating instead. Now my front bumper and hood are riddled with chips. I will have to get the whole bumper repainted.
This one leaves me confused. You didn't do PPF but did paint correction and ceramic coating instead? Those two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Appreciate 0