BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #67
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Sorry for all the questions….but, this wasn't as simple as just getting the pads, right? You had to actually get new rotors, sensors, etc?
Nope, I used oem sensors and rotors. I had it done rhe same say I got the car. My rotors only had about 50 miles on them when my guy changed them later on that evening after itvwas delivered. I believe Ben at RG Motorsports have a set of Stoptech pads available now. I heard they are really good and minimal dust. If I'm not mistaken, someone on this board has already installed them on their car.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
The Nerd427.50
      07-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #68
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 CompX; '98 m Roadster

Garage List
taking all the wheels off to wash is some serious dedication to the craft!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #69
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Quote:
I use one of the mini California dusters to dust off the wheels of my vehicles every so often. Doesn't get them perfectly clean but it will help with them from getting too bad.
You do what?
One of these:

California Car Duster 62447-8B Mini Duster https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01LRHGM...4KVX08KGS45AF1

Works great to dust the wheels off between washes.
Have you noticed any scratching from using this "dry"? Would introducing dampness help more (getting the duster wet)?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 04:46 PM   #70
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Quote:
I use one of the mini California dusters to dust off the wheels of my vehicles every so often. Doesn't get them perfectly clean but it will help with them from getting too bad.
You do what?
One of these:

California Car Duster 62447-8B Mini Duster https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01LRHGM...4KVX08KGS45AF1

Works great to dust the wheels off between washes.
Have you noticed any scratching from using this "dry"? Would introducing dampness help more (getting the duster wet)?
No fine like scratches that I've noticed. It's really only a good solution if you do it on a regular basis and before you get a bunch of brake dust accumulation. Once they get too dirty it won't work all that well.

I don't advise getting the dust wet or even damp. Don't think that would work well. At that point probably just better off getting a waterless spray solution from the likes of Griots garage, spray it on, then wipe off with some microfiber towels.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #71
clean_machina
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G05 X5, Porsche 992 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer TiM3 View Post
Pressure washer first then a quality wheel cleaner. Agitate with brush. Power wash off. Foam cannon entire car. Let sit 5 mins. Spray off. Soap with a wheel brush. Spray off. Wash rest of car. Dry. Vacuum. Windows. Interior. Quick drive around the neighborhood to get surface rust off. Clean that off with a microfiber towel. Take a shower. Go out to eat and start crying when you get to restaurant and wheels look like shit
Haha this is my life and my gym, meditation, and yoga combined
Appreciate 2
      07-17-2022, 07:29 PM   #72
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I followed your advice and got one of these California Dusters, and you're right…it's perfect for getting some of the brake dust off between washes. One more question for you….since we're not using it for "normal" dust, it gets blackened pretty quickly (within a few uses on the wheels). I read these work best when they're not washed. And if we have to rinse it, use cold water. How are you maintaining yours? You continue to use it even though it's blackened? Do you rinse it out? Or, maybe just buy a new one every so often? Just curious….
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019146.00
      07-17-2022, 07:45 PM   #73
kamslm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C

Garage List
2020 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I have the 825 Bicolor wheels and love them, but wow do the black parts of the wheel show a ton of brake dust and it's a pain to clean off from all of the little parts of the wheels. The dust doesn't get cleaned off in the touchless washes (or even the one time I ran it through the regular wash). I guess I'm going to have to get a wheel brush to clean in all the areas.

Has anyone used some of the wheel sealers like this stuff?
https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-sio2-wheel-seal.html

How easy was it to apply, how long does it last and how well does it do for repelling brake dust?
I have the bi-color Perf 759i's on my M550. They look brand new after 3 years. I use P&S Brakebuster applied with a foam cannon, agitate with a series of brushes to clean out the barrels, face and calipers, rinse then use a spray-on, wash off Si02 product (sealant) Gyeon Wet Coat. Admit wheels take more time than washing the car. But after 3 years no scratches on the wheels and clear coat is as perfect as day I bought it. Also trick is to keep them clean and not let brake dust and road crud build up and crust in, especially on the barrels. Also, use a wheel brush to clean the tires and CarPro Perl to dress them, which is an important finishing touch. Glad to share any tips if you have questions. Just DM me.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 08:20 PM   #74
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I followed your advice and got one of these California Dusters, and you're right…it's perfect for getting some of the brake dust off between washes. One more question for you….since we're not using it for "normal" dust, it gets blackened pretty quickly (within a few uses on the wheels). I read these work best when they're not washed. And if we have to rinse it, use cold water. How are you maintaining yours? You continue to use it even though it's blackened? Do you rinse it out? Or, maybe just buy a new one every so often? Just curious….
I just continue to use it and then get a new one every few years. I give a good shake out after a few swipes just to make sure it's not holding onto any chunks of stuff.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
The Nerd427.50