BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #1
x54MTbackroads
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 328d sportwagon

Washing triggers lights, locks, mirrors

I did my first wash and wax on my new X5 45e today, which seemed to be a very exciting moment for my vehicle. Hand wash, warm water, relatively low pressure hose sprayer. Nothing extreme by any stretch.

While washing, drying, and waxing, I seemed to be constantly triggering all kinds of automated systems in the car. Locks were opening and closing, lights flashed a few times, mirrors closed and opened several times (I don't even have the mirrors set up to automatically retract in the main settings), and I could hear the electronics firing up a few times, too.

Is this normal? Anyone found a clever work around or way to set up a "wash" mode? It was amusing the first few rounds, but I'm not sure it's going to be for the may years ahead I hope to own the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #2
ironside2018
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x54MTbackroads View Post
I did my first wash and wax on my new X5 45e today, which seemed to be a very exciting moment for my vehicle. Hand wash, warm water, relatively low pressure hose sprayer. Nothing extreme by any stretch.

While washing, drying, and waxing, I seemed to be constantly triggering all kinds of automated systems in the car. Locks were opening and closing, lights flashed a few times, mirrors closed and opened several times (I don't even have the mirrors set up to automatically retract in the main settings), and I could hear the electronics firing up a few times, too.

Is this normal? Anyone found a clever work around or way to set up a "wash" mode? It was amusing the first few rounds, but I'm not sure it's going to be for the may years ahead I hope to own the car.
Ha--common issue with comfort access. I always take my key out of my pocket and place it out of range when washing the car.
Appreciate 4
      06-19-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
yes that is due to your key being recognized by the car as being near thinking you are ready to get in and go
Appreciate 1
maher116.00
      07-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #4
NYCX5M50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i executive/DHP

just leave the key inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I don't leave the fob inside because the vehicle actually locked on me once; decreased likelihood if it's in the cargo area, though, so if I had to I'd leave it there instead of the front where the vehicle can still sense the key fob while you touch the handle then CLICK!

I have Digital Key set up on my iPhone so I just leave the fob indoors. having the keycard is another good option
Appreciate 0