home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-22-2024, 12:38 PM   #1
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

How is the lap analyzer with the M Drive Professional?

I'm adding it as an option on my build for the M track mode/traction but wondering how accurate or useful it is. Does it automatically detect start/stop line and how decent is the gps refresh?

Would be a lot easier than my GoPro/XGPS setup if it's decent. Not looking for excessive information like the catalyst, at least for now.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 02:16 PM   #2
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
It has useful information, but it is not a lap timer. It does not detect start/stop of a track or autox course. What you see is what you get and that's it.

IMHO, viewing the track data, such as brake zone, speed, Gs, etc. on a phone is also not practical. The way it is useful to me is it tells me when I apply the throttle and how much, when I apply and release the brakes (I can tell amount of braking I am applying through the G-meter) and my RPMs, and integrates all that with the video. For me and my personal driving objectives, it is more than sufficient.

I am very proficient in using full-fledge data analyzers, and in the past I would lose myself in all of the data I used to collect. It is tremendously fun to do so, and helps with self-coaching tremendously. I no longer have such objectives, time or money to spend. The M Perf. Analyzer is cheap, easy and sufficient for me.
NYG10835.00
      04-22-2024, 02:20 PM   #3
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
It has useful information, but it is not a lap timer. It does not detect start/stop of a track or autox course. What you see is what you get and that's it.
Probably going to grab another catalyst then.
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2024, 07:51 PM   #4
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
It works well for me. Auto detects everything and gives me cool useful information.

I haven’t been able to save any of it after turning the car off, so I’m not sure I can do that or not but it’s awesome to see lap times and max speeds and Gs. I doubt it’ll give as much info as something aftermarket, but it couldn’t be any easier to use for a normal track day
Appreciate 1
NYG10835.00
      04-23-2024, 08:48 AM   #5
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatThatLunchBaby View Post
It works well for me. Auto detects everything and gives me cool useful information.

I haven’t been able to save any of it after turning the car off, so I’m not sure I can do that or not but it’s awesome to see lap times and max speeds and Gs. I doubt it’ll give as much info as something aftermarket, but it couldn’t be any easier to use for a normal track day
I remember the lap analyzer from my 2017 4 series lol. Looks like they've come a long way but based on what you guys are saying I'll probably need to run 3rd party.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 10:27 PM   #6
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

You can run both the M Drive Analyzer and the M Lap Timer at the same time while on track.

The M Drive Analyzer runs as an app on your phone using a Bluetooth transmitter connected to the OBDII port. Mount your phone and record your laps and the data. You can then view the recording in the app on your phone with telemetry, or export it and get the telemetry overlay:

At the same time that you're running the M Drive Analyzer on your phone, you can run M Lap Timer from the Apps in iDrive. This will add a widget to your dash/HUD that shows real-time lap times and timing differentials from the fast lap. One thing to note though is that where ever you press start/stop is where the app will think the start/finish line is. At the end of the session it will tell you which lap was your fastest and what the time was:
Attached Images

Last edited by m4ml; 04-23-2024 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
NYG10835.00
      04-24-2024, 09:06 AM   #7
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
You can run both the M Drive Analyzer and the M Lap Timer at the same time while on track.

The M Drive Analyzer runs as an app on your phone using a Bluetooth transmitter connected to the OBDII port. Mount your phone and record your laps and the data. You can then view the recording in the app on your phone with telemetry, or export it and get the telemetry overlay:

At the same time that you're running the M Drive Analyzer on your phone, you can run M Lap Timer from the Apps in iDrive. This will add a widget to your dash/HUD that shows real-time lap times and timing differentials from the fast lap. One thing to note though is that where ever you press start/stop is where the app will think the start/finish line is. At the end of the session it will tell you which lap was your fastest and what the time was:
Great post, thank you bro
Appreciate 1
m4ml1852.00
      04-24-2024, 02:40 PM   #8
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post

https://youtu.be/GAhvG2kNpnE

I thought this stopped working in ID8 when I checked on my car. Everything works as mentioned for me, but the phone app is no longer supported. I could be wrong though, it’s been so long
Appreciate 2
m4ml1852.00
NYG10835.00
      04-24-2024, 03:57 PM   #9
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatThatLunchBaby View Post
I thought this stopped working in ID8 when I checked on my car. Everything works as mentioned for me, but the phone app is no longer supported. I could be wrong though, it’s been so long
I do have ID7, so that might be the case for ID8.

Edit (because I might have misunderstood your statement): The phone app for M Lap Timer does not work any more, regardless of ID7 or ID8. The M Lap Timer in-car app is still available however (at least in ID7, and should be available in ID8). The in-car M Lap Timer can run at the same time as M Drive Analyzer. This is because M Lap Timer is an in-car app, and M Drive Analyzer is a phone app (that I think "replaced" the M Lap Timer phone app - even though the M Lap Timer phone app was awesome from what I saw of it).

Last edited by m4ml; 04-24-2024 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
NYG10835.00