BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-29-2022, 12:24 PM   #23
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i coupe, C43amg sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
The perception of power is a bit different than comparing numbers on paper (available but often gotten with full preparation). Instead, it has a lot to do with power on tap and middle to low speed acceleration, where Taycan base is way ahead. As I mentioned, I have no doubt the M is dynamically better when you push. You simply need to work more to get the performance.
Have u driven either a base taycan or otherwise? I test drove both the rwd and a 4s. The rwd is slow at any and all speeds. Under no circumstance is it comparable to M3. Without looking at actual numbers i would venture a guess that it is slower than m340ix. I loved the 4S but it's very comparable in power to the M3. Not faster. Obviously the power is instantly available in the Taycan but if u drive the M3 in sports plus all the time, it will be the same. I personally love the taycan and after test drive wanted to take the 4s home (though now I want a gts) but at a price of 135k it didn't make sense. Anyways, it's a great car regardless. I will probably end up with one once the POS AMG GTC Roadster is gone. But it's not faster than M3/M4.
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      10-08-2023, 06:51 AM   #24
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Reviving this thread, I keep coming back to look at Taycan. They are just so cool and the ultimate dad wagon for me…

My wife has a Kia Telluride which we will swap for the new Kia EV9 next year (3 row electric SUV) so tempted to go all
Electric and get solar panels on the house etc

Has anyone any concern that everyone seems to moving towards NACS/Tesla charging standard but Porsche seem not to be yet? Maybe they get aligned eventually. Can you use an adaptor to use Tesla charging stations yet?

Mostly will be charging at home but you know when you want to charge your phone but your friend has an android and you have an iPhone…it’s a bit annoying

The other thing is the prices are dropping aggressively on Taycan and Audi E-Tron GT. Tesla price drops are filtering through big time!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 08:51 AM   #25
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
I am kinda in the same boat right now and did a quick analysis of a G80x specced the way I want vs. a Taycan 4 cross turismo (base wagon) configured to my specs as well. ($89,000 vs. $122,000)

The raw delta between the cars is $33,000 but after the "EV savings" it looks like this:

-$7,500 federal rebate
-$8,000 gas savings (4 years - this could go up with the way gas is looking)
-$4,000 for maintenance items (oil, brakes, etc.)
-$1,000 insurance savings (over 4 years vs. M3)
=$20,500 "EV Savings"

New delta between the cars is $12,500.

I need another go in a Taycan (maybe this week) to see if I think that it's worth the premium. My dealer does have an open allocation for one now so I would want to decide quickly.
In the news this week in the UK people are seeing EV’s become uninsurable or very expensive eg £5k per year.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 02:48 PM   #26
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Reviving this thread, I keep coming back to look at Taycan. They are just so cool and the ultimate dad wagon for me…

My wife has a Kia Telluride which we will swap for the new Kia EV9 next year (3 row electric SUV) so tempted to go all
Electric and get solar panels on the house etc

Has anyone any concern that everyone seems to moving towards NACS/Tesla charging standard but Porsche seem not to be yet? Maybe they get aligned eventually. Can you use an adaptor to use Tesla charging stations yet?

Mostly will be charging at home but you know when you want to charge your phone but your friend has an android and you have an iPhone…it’s a bit annoying

The other thing is the prices are dropping aggressively on Taycan and Audi E-Tron GT. Tesla price drops are filtering through big time!!
Hello! Here's my Take on the Taycan (lol). Please run this through the filter of me being: a current Porsche owner (SUV's and in the past two 911's), a past EV owner (Tesla Model 3 AWD, Model 3 Performance), a general EV fan and someone who strongly considered a Taycan for the last 24 months. I've driven every trim of Taycan except the GTS and the wagons. In the case of the 4S, I've driven about 6 or 8 of them.

First, considering the state of the EV network: pray that the NACS adaptor comes quickly. The CCS network in general in this country is a huge crapshoot. Tesla network much, MUCH better. How opening it up to non-Tesla vehicles impacts that should be interesting.

On the Taycan in general, I have many thoughts. My overarching view is that it is first and foremost a Porsche. Second, it is very much a first gen EV product on what is MOSTLY a ground up platform but in reality is a highly, highly modified Panamera platform. This shows in it's poor packaging. It's a big car outside but not big inside. Getting in the driver's seat can be challenging for those that are tall, particularly in the torso. The rear seat is cramped, especially in headroom, although the wagon version helps that quite a bit. The car is not that fast for an EV....a 4S is slower than a Model 3 performance. Turbo is faster. Have not driven a GTS.

The software is....Porsche. Meaning it's not class leading in any way in general (I have the same software in my '23 Cayenne) and EV wise isn't the best.

But...it's a Porsche. The 800V architecture has been used properly and it charges like a BEAST. One of the best charging curves in the biz. The car handles and steers. Oh my it's like an....well, an electric Porsche! Even vs. the platform mate the ETron GT, it is a cross between a Cayman and a Panamera. It is absolutely fun to fling around. I think they look cool as hell especially in sedan form. They are a joy to steer and drive. Inputs are smooth. There is no one pedal driving but the blended braking is much, much better than in my Cayenne hybrid.

So why didn't I get one?

For one thing, the pricing really hadn't started to drop when I made my decision. Second, while I think it's a great product, I see it getting passed by quickly. It's very telling that Porsche has chosen to develop a TRULY all new ground up architecture (PPE I think?) to underpin the new cars. EV Macan and Boxster, and the Audi Etron Q6 will all be on this architecture to start. In my case, I plan on keeping my G80 for 5-7 years and I felt like the Taycan would be woefully out of date by then. Also, I wanted a car I could road trip in and I don't trust the CCS network right now. Lastly, I wanted a do it all fun car that wouldn't make me miss my Turbo S too much and I felt that going to an EV would be a bridge too far in that regard. Again, I like EV's but they DO lack some soul (though not as much as the luddites would have you believe).

So I'd recommend one if you're going to have it for 3 years or so. Lease a 4S and get something else when that comes out.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 3
barryc3651956.00
Aalfred2607.00
      10-08-2023, 05:07 PM   #27
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Taycan is … significantly faster than the M3 even in its entry model form. Also there is the Porsche luxury premium inside and out.
lol that’s some koolaid right there. Base Taycan is 2 seconds slower 0-100 than my G81 M3. It has less power and more weight than an M340i too.

You have to step all the way up to a Taycan Turbo (non S) to get to 3.3 sec 0-100. Here in Australia that car is over 50% more than a top M3.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6599.00
Dnshift156.50
      10-08-2023, 07:56 PM   #28
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Hello! Here's my Take on the Taycan (lol). Please run this through the filter of me being: a current Porsche owner (SUV's and in the past two 911's), a past EV owner (Tesla Model 3 AWD, Model 3 Performance), a general EV fan and someone who strongly considered a Taycan for the last 24 months. I've driven every trim of Taycan except the GTS and the wagons. In the case of the 4S, I've driven about 6 or 8 of them.

First, considering the state of the EV network: pray that the NACS adaptor comes quickly. The CCS network in general in this country is a huge crapshoot. Tesla network much, MUCH better. How opening it up to non-Tesla vehicles impacts that should be interesting.

On the Taycan in general, I have many thoughts. My overarching view is that it is first and foremost a Porsche. Second, it is very much a first gen EV product on what is MOSTLY a ground up platform but in reality is a highly, highly modified Panamera platform. This shows in it's poor packaging. It's a big car outside but not big inside. Getting in the driver's seat can be challenging for those that are tall, particularly in the torso. The rear seat is cramped, especially in headroom, although the wagon version helps that quite a bit. The car is not that fast for an EV....a 4S is slower than a Model 3 performance. Turbo is faster. Have not driven a GTS.

The software is....Porsche. Meaning it's not class leading in any way in general (I have the same software in my '23 Cayenne) and EV wise isn't the best.

But...it's a Porsche. The 800V architecture has been [...]
Thanks so much for the detailed and thoughtful response.

I was thinking of a 4S or GTS in Cross Tourismo spec. I love wagons. The alternative is an RS6 but I don’t think that has much over my G80 aside from the AWD, mine was one of the first RWD when I got it. I don’t do a lot of driving or road trips and have a 3 row SUV for that stuff when needed with the 3 kids. This car would mostly be used for going to swimming lessons etc with kids.

I’m in no rush to change car but I’m in North East so AWD would be nice in winter. Usually if the roads are bad, I just take my wife’s SUV so it’s not a deal breaker but TBH, I just love the look of the Cross Tourismo.

I sometimes think about just getting a 992 GTS but with the kids it’s a bit impractical so I want something with 4 doors and AWD as my next car.

I think the prices are falling rapidly on these so maybe in the new year, I will pick up a lease return or something at a nice price but we will see

The car would be charged at home 99% of the time I think. I don’t venture too far!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      12-02-2023, 08:16 AM   #29
NFARVW
Gun Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX, 991.2 GT3RS, XC90 T8

I can tell ya'll haven't tracked a Taycan Turbo S....cause you'd drop your lust after 2 laps...after all you'd have plenty of time to contemplate sitting in pit lane waiting for the batteries to cool and all the warning lights to turn off.

Electric cars just aren't "there" yet. In a 15min session M3CX is king.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1480.50
      12-02-2023, 09:00 AM   #30
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFARVW View Post
I can tell ya'll haven't tracked a Taycan Turbo S....cause you'd drop your lust after 2 laps...after all you'd have plenty of time to contemplate sitting in pit lane waiting for the batteries to cool and all the warning lights to turn off.

Electric cars just aren't "there" yet. In a 15min session M3CX is king.
Not sure what you did to get only 2 laps?

My buddy is a true track rat. Absolutely tons of time in multiple GT3's, Turbos, etc at Laguna, Thunderhill, COTA, and more. Has also raced Pro-Am as Cup car owner.

He also has a Taycan Turbo which he has tracked multiple times. His findings: can last about 15-20 minutes before de-rating. Not quite a whole track session but close. PCCB's perform excellent but after about 4-5 track days are significantly worn given his speed and the weight of the car. No one who watches the car can believe how it performs. It handles quite well for a big sedan and given the instant torque he is blasting out of corners way faster than most track cars, and they aren't reeling him in.

So not sure where you what track driving or how you were driving it (modes) to only get two laps, but it is definitely capable of more. It's a weapon in autocross, quite competent on track every now and then, but definitely not built for it.

What % of G8X owners track anyway? My guess would be not a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 06:03 AM   #31
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattingly23 View Post
Curious what you ended up doing?
The long-delayed answer is I bought a new Taycan and nearly instantly regretted it. I know some people like the EV experience but after the first week initial excitement wears off, it's just an appliance.

Cons:
- Bad range (I even had the expensive extended battery)
- Heavy and you can feel it
- Horrible charging network (+ bad experiences)
- Tons of software issues, at one point Porsche had my car in service for 3 weeks to do a software update... an UPDATE. Also had random issues like my infotainment screen going black for the whole drive.
- Values and general interest in the car has tanked
- Doors are too narrow for a big car, can easily hit your head getting in
- Zero excitement (even with the goofy spaceship noises turned on)

Pros:
- Quiet / comfortable once inside
- I received a tax credit

It lasted about 5 months in my garage and thankfully I got out of it before the market fell out. The car was still on the lot about 6 months later when I checked the vin randomly and they were trying to sell it for $10k less than they gave me on trade-in.

I should have just gone with a G80, however allocations were tough at the time and that's what drove me to look elsewhere to begin with. I sold it for a CT4V Blackwing manual and it was fun until I got a call from Porsche with a Carrera T allocation (manual of course) so that had to go and I'm driving that until I get an allocation for a GT3 Touring

If I would have gone G80, I could have saved myself some coin and grief.

I would stay far away from Taycan and any EV right now, they are like catching a falling knife. My wife wants out of her Mach E GT Performance immediately too. The market is sufficiently saturated with EV's for the demand and production can't stop so this freefall will continue (coupled with the fact they are overpriced and interest rates are high).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 08:04 AM   #32
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The market is sufficiently saturated with EV's for the demand and production can't stop so this freefall will continue (coupled with the fact they are overpriced and interest rates are high).
Yeah, we've reached an interesting point with EV's. Now that they are truly mainstream (despite their still small numbers), they have already overwhelmed the charging network. That, and the buyers have moved past the "early adopters" who are willing to overlook EV issues and live with the benefits and into buyers who can barely remember to put gas in their car (not saying you, just in general). As you said, the production is ramped and demand is down so the market is suuuuuuuper soft. Looking at Taycans on the Porsche finder, I see that prices for GTS's are close to what they were asking for 4S's nearly a year ago.

But the demand won't ramp until the charging network is bolstered, and that's going to take some time. So in the meantime, definitely not the time to be buying a new EV, unless a Tesla or unless you NEVER plan on fast charging it. And be sure to get a good deal on it as your values will tank. Or lease and get the credit.

So....when will the DCFC network improve? We shall see. Manufacturers are too heavily invested in it now. They have seen that the costs, once the initial battery technology is paid for, are substantially lower than an ICE car and are hungry for the additional $$, but they can't unlock it now.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 07:33 AM   #33
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
The long-delayed answer is I bought a new Taycan and nearly instantly regretted it. I know some people like the EV experience but after the first week initial excitement wears off, it's just an appliance.

Cons:
- Bad range (I even had the expensive extended battery)
- Heavy and you can feel it
- Horrible charging network (+ bad experiences)
- Tons of software issues, at one point Porsche had my car in service for 3 weeks to do a software update... an UPDATE. Also had random issues like my infotainment screen going black for the whole drive.
- Values and general interest in the car has tanked
- Doors are too narrow for a big car, can easily hit your head getting in
- Zero excitement (even with the goofy spaceship noises turned on)

Pros:
- Quiet / comfortable once inside
- I received a tax credit

It lasted about 5 months in my garage and thankfully I got out of it before the market fell out. The car was still on the lot about 6 months later when I checked the vin randomly and they were trying to sell it for $10k less than they gave me on trade-in.

I should have just gone with a G80, however allocations were tough at the time and that's what drove me to look elsewhere to begin with. I sold it for a CT4V Blackwing manual and it was fun until I got a call from Porsche with a Carrera T allocation (manual of course) so that had to go and I'm driving that until I get an allocation for a GT3 Touring

If I would have gone G80, I could have saved myself some coin and grief.

I would stay far away from Taycan and any EV right now, they are like catching a falling knife. My wife wants out of her Mach E GT Performance immediately too. The market is sufficiently saturated with EV's for the demand and production can't stop so this freefall will continue (coupled with the fact they are overpriced and interest rates are high).
Truly amazing how much depreciation there is on a two-year-old Taycan in higher trim levels. There are Taycan Turbo S models with 20-23k miles for $115k to $118k that were $225k +/- new. Whew! Good thing you got out of yours quickly.

Also, read in Autoweek a few weeks back that new inventory levels of the Mach-E went from a 79-day supply on October 1st to 239 days on November 1st on dealer lots. Guess that means the Mach-E is pretty much sale-proof.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 10:36 AM   #34
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I've started a preliminary investigation into a Taycan. My fallback is a G80. The used prices are starting to drop, and although I would possibly get a new g80, I would only purchase a used Taycan. I'm casually browsing the 4S and GTS models.

Things holding me back before seriously looking at Taycans:
  1. I have 2 boys who will be decent sized in a couple of years (6"2 to 6"4). I will likely need to get a Taycan CT.
  2. The charging network. I have a Telsa Mod3P, so i'm used to having reliable charging. I only supercharge 10 times a year, when out of town, but I can plan my trips appropriately with the Telsa nework. The EA network is a mess. I know Porsche will move towards NACS in 2025, but there is little info on the implementation.
Appreciate 0